• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Spanking

On the one hand, I think there are far better ways to get a child to learn when something is wrong, but on the other, it worked for me.

I was only spanked once or twice, and it was the threat of that that kept me on my toes. Spanking can be a fine form of discipline as long as it doesn't get out of control. No need to beat the kid for refusing to clean his room. :/

Absolutely not. If you need to resort to physical discipline as a parent, you are doing it wrong.

On the one hand, I think there are far better ways to get a child to learn when something is wrong, but on the other, it worked for me.

I was only spanked once or twice, and it was the threat of that that kept me on my toes. Spanking can be a fine form of discipline as long as it doesn't get out of control. No need to beat the kid for refusing to clean his room. :/
I counter with my own "this."

I don't like it at all. It's far, far too grey an area to say "you can hit your kid this hard this number of times with this object when s/he does something this bad", and it's much better to just make it so people aren't allowed to do it at all.

I totally get that some kids, especially younger ones, don't respond to reasoned arguments, even if it's for their own good (little-me didn't understand my parent's explanation of why putting spoons in the VCR was a bad idea, for example), but punishing them by taking away toys they like or making them go to bed earlier or something would work just as well.

If it's only used as a "big" punishment, and rarely, then I am all for it

I was spanked as a kid, as were my brother and sister. Myself the least, because I actually learnt not to do shit that would get me spanked >:( or just to cover it up better

No.

My parents used spanking on me, and I turned into a big blubbering lump of wuss. Now I'm damn near afraid to do anything for fear my parents won't think it's good enough and I'll get in trouble, even though they've changed. In contrast, my brother wasn't (they stopped spanking me before he came along) and he's perfectly fine - outgoing, happy, etc.

Some people will turn out fine, yes, but some won't, and I'm an example of that. =/

If you're someone that has been spanked by your parents, then you'll be able to understand the whole thing a lot better. It might sound a bit harsh, even a bit abusive if you just hear about this kind of discipline, but it's really not that bad.

It should'nt be a kind of last-resort method to get a child to behave. No parent should ever spank a child when they are mad at him/her for their behavior; that would be innapropriate. So following that one guideline, what's really so bad about it?

There are plenty ways to discipline a child. Obviously, spanking is not always the best option. Whether you should spank a child depends on factors such as the seriousness of a situation (more serious = more likely not to spank and impliment some kind of punishment that lasts a bit longer in my opinion), what tends to work best on that particular child, and even the age of the child (spanking seems to be more effective on younger children; I know from experience ;) ).

no. spanking is mean. :(

there's better ways anyways, i don't think anything physical (as a parent) should be used as a form of discipline.

If you're someone that has been spanked by your parents, then you'll be able to understand the whole thing a lot better. It might sound a bit harsh, even a bit abusive if you just hear about this kind of discipline, but it's really not that bad.

Really? I was hit as punishment as a kid and I think the exact opposite. It wasn't always made clear to me what I was being punished for, which sometimes let to me being terrified for no good reason. Some of the punishments my sister and I had when we were little have meant that our relationship with our parents (especially my sister with our dad) is really strained at times.

It's just not worth it, for the parent or the kid.

"If you hit your sister one more time I'm gonna give you a spankin!"
...is what my Mom said to one of my sisters once. o_O

Don't really think it's necessary. Other things can be done.

No.

My parents used spanking on me, and I turned into a big blubbering lump of wuss. Now I'm damn near afraid to do anything for fear my parents won't think it's good enough and I'll get in trouble, even though they've changed. In contrast, my brother wasn't (they stopped spanking me before he came along) and he's perfectly fine - outgoing, happy, etc.

Some people will turn out fine, yes, but some won't, and I'm an example of that. =/

This is essentially what happened to me. Even though my dad never punishes me I'm still afraid to get mad at him because he actually did spank me less than a year ago! woohoo

EDIT: actually I just talked to my mom and she said what she did wasn't 'spanking' per se; it was swatting me on the butt (hard enough to hurt)

Last edited:
Really? I was hit as punishment as a kid and I think the exact opposite. It wasn't always made clear to me what I was being punished for, which sometimes let to me being terrified for no good reason. Some of the punishments my sister and I had when we were little have meant that our relationship with our parents (especially my sister with our dad) is really strained at times.

It's just not worth it, for the parent or the kid.

No punishment will ever work if the one being punished is not aware of what they are being punished for.

Absolutely not. My parents did it to me as a child and I'm still scared half to death when my mom gets angry. It made me to scared that what I was doing was wrong and that my parents would get mad.

Back
Top Bottom