• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Spanking

This thread caught my attention enough that I joined just to comment. xD Anyway, back on topic. I got spanked as a kid. Not much, but it was for things that my parents had already talked to me about first. I did them anyway, so I got a more severe punishment than a talking-to. If spanking is used like that, I think it's a perfectly acceptable form of discipline. It's when it gets out of control that it becomes abuse instead of teaching your kid that they did something wrong.

Firstly, the topic title made me think it was something else. Mostly due to the fact that I've never heard of spanking as a punishment... Well, a real punishment anyway. n_n

And yeah, I reckon that spanking isn't a bad thing. Physically abusing the child isn't a good thing, but a slap won't do them any bad, either.

I mean, I live with my grandfather, and I sorta sympathise for him. He would slap my aunt, but when she rebelled, went all gothic-punk-runaway, he figured that 'spanking' was a bad thing, and so didn't punish my mam at all. Then she sort of when all heroin-runaway... So then, now that I live with him, he's actually gone the middle road.

You know, firm rules, but we don't call it 'spanking'... I used to think a 'clip around yer ear' was a jazzy musical number, 'till I found out what it really is...

Anyway, I've been 'spanked', I don't fear my grandparents, I respect them, yaddayadda I've turned out alright, blahblah I don't mind spanking.

Then again, it might just be me as aperson, as my younger sister has also ran off... I'm never having a daughter.

He didn't do it all that often, I gather? Not when yo did something very simple wrong?

Nah, 'course not (if you were talking to me).

Only when I did some stupid things, like vandalised the building site next door, or throwing rocks at cars. Or asking a black person whether he was made out of chocolate. (I was 7, and it was the first black person I'd ever seen. Don't hate me for it).

Which one?

The vandalising because it used to be a park, and we thought we could deter them by stealing planks of wood and bricks...

The car one because my friends though it would be a good idea, not realising that the road we set up on let to a dead end, and so cars had to come back towards us.

And the chocolate one because until the age of 7 I was completely unaware that black people existed (my favourite programs being those by Hannah Barbara), and my cousins made me believe that they were made out of chocolate, and persuaded me to ask someone. I know it sounds bad, and I regret it, but he didn't seem to mind.

I'm sure someone here has already taken the words right out of my mouth....my father was VERY physically abusive towards me in my younger years. Iron burns, being forced to shit in a bush because he barricaded the bathroom doors, so-called 'spankings' (more like lashings) with a chain or machine belt.

Children are the innocent victims of child abuse, but sadly many abused children become abusers themselves. One would think that the exact opposite would be the norm, but we are what lived and if a child grows up with abuse, they are more likely to become abusers themselves. ... Many children, who are victims of child abuse, learn to be aggressive and violent to others. They often have low self esteem and become involved in relationships where there is domestic violence.

Sounds completely like my dad, I always worried that I might end up like him. Luckily all that abuse and neglect pushed me far away from him and for the most part I got raised by my mother, which I think she did a freaking awesome job.

I have no more to say...this sums up my situation perfectly

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom