• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Pokemon MMO?

Valerunner

Probably shouldn't be here.
Pronoun
She/her
It's possible.

I highly doubt it's possible for a Gen. V since they've already had the God Pokemon and anything past is just going to be crap.

So why not go Blizzard's way and release an MMO? The very first handheld MMO. Six regions; Kanto, Orre, Almia, Johto, Hoenn and Sinnoh. Probably some spin-off islands.

And since they have an SD Card slot on the DSi, why not release "expansion sets" online? Like an Orange Islands add-on or even a Battle Frontier one. Plus custom characters. Moderated, of course, to prevent walking penises. PNG files submitted into the official site then they send you a trainer file to put into your SD card.

And to make sure Nintendo gets enough cash reasonably, Legendary Pokemon events? Have an evil organization try and clone a Legendary and trainers everywhere can stop the clones by either defeating or capturing them. Or in Arceus' case, make doppelgangers to defend itself.

For a small fee, of course. For example, Oak's Letter. You can buy them online for, say £10. Limited edition, as well to prevent too many people getting rares.

It's plausible with the Wi-Fi. This is also a chance to rerelease the USB connector, or boost sales for the Wii. Have it multi-platform. The Wii version can have PBR graphics and the DSi version can have the normal sprites.

What say you, dear public?

Some company called "Noooooooo" or something was attempting to talk with Nintendo about a WiiWare Pokémon MMO, although the last I heard about that was a while ago and so I have no idea whether or not anything happened/will be happening.

And it's perfectly possible to have interesting legendaries/more Pokémon without always trying to "trump" the current "god". Most fangames don't bother trying to best Arceus, and people still have interest in those, don't they? Mew was more or less considered "supreme" before, at least by a lot of fans; Ho-Oh, Lugia and Celebi weren't "greater" than it and people still enjoyed GS, didn't they?

Now just because they can still make interesting legends/Pokémon doesn't mean that they will, but that's a pretty stupid excuse for not being able to do it. There are plenty of other, better reasons not to.

Some company called "Noooooooo" or something was attempting to talk with Nintendo about a WiiWare Pokémon MMO, although the last I heard about that was a while ago and so I have no idea whether or not anything happened/will be happening.

And it's perfectly possible to have interesting legendaries/more Pokémon without always trying to "trump" the current "god". Most fangames don't bother trying to best Arceus, and people still have interest in those, don't they? Mew was more or less considered "supreme" before, at least by a lot of fans; Ho-Oh, Lugia and Celebi weren't "greater" than it and people still enjoyed GS, didn't they?

Now just because they can still make interesting legends/Pokémon doesn't mean that they will, but that's a pretty stupid excuse for not being able to do it. There are plenty of other, better reasons not to.
That is a fair point. But imagine the fan backlash if they mucked Gen. V up. Then again, it would still sell.

Anyway, the MMO. Think it would work?

I might try it if it weren't too expensive. I've looked around at all the fan MMOs and they're almost all either nowhere near finished or are really shitty. Something complete and professionally-designed would be worth a look, if nothing else.

No.

Why does everyone seem to want one of these?
It's the perfect recipe.

It's much more fun going against random people similar to the anime without the cheesy morale while training. Or even form your little parties to train for a Gym. I sound like such an advert.

I wish.

I mean, come on, Pokémon is perfect for an MMO. And it might pump some life into the repetative formula of the main games.

It would have to be good, though.

I'd like one where you could play as a Pokemon or a human. D: I realize this mechanic would most likely never be created, but...

Anyways, yes, one would be nice.

Pokemon has a perfect recipe for an MMO: a huge fanbase, gameplay that is best when played with others, and customization. I would love to roam around and battle random people. There's also contests and a ton of other things you could do. My only concern is Nintendo's strict policy on communication with strangers. Maybe when they realize that the online gaming community isn't 50% child predators and 50% children who will give out information freely to strangers, we may have something here.

Pokemon has a perfect recipe for an MMO: a huge fanbase, gameplay that is best when played with others, and customization. I would love to roam around and battle random people. There's also contests and a ton of other things you could do. My only concern is Nintendo's strict policy on communication with strangers. Maybe when they realize that the online gaming community isn't 50% child predators and 50% children who will give out information freely to strangers, we may have something here.
They can always moderate the whole thing.

It's also good for the franchise; endless money rolling in for the events, and if they ever want to release a new generation, release a new pair of games and a new patch for the MMO to buy.

Plus if Ninty are worried about suing, they can always put a liability clause in the T&C.

Saying that a Gen V would automatically suck just because they already made god is overreacting.

Still a Pokémon MMO would be enjoyable.

Meh, as long as they stick to the general formula of Pokemon and make it cheap I guess it'll be okay. However, saying they should release an MMO over a 5th gen just because they already have god is a bit stupid IMO.

I would have to play it to make a judgement, i'm not too sure about one.
I do agree they shouldn't make any more pokemon (or a 5th gen at most) and they should just reuse the ones they currently have but i'm not entirely convinced it would work :/

Edit: I understand a bit more now. Like Pokemon Crater in the style of an actual game, yes that might be a good idea if it could work well enough, as someone said though it would have to be a reasonable price. On the DS.

Edit: I understand a bit more now. Like Pokemon Crater in the style of an actual game, yes that might be a good idea if it could work well enough, as someone said though it would have to be a reasonable price. On the DS.

Well it could go multi-platform on the same server. As I've said earlier, the Wii can have PBR graphics and such while the DS can have the sprites and you can battle someone on a different platform seamlessly.

Why has nobody mentioned the fact that a handheld MMO would kind of suck by definition? Handheld systems are made to be small and portable so that you can easily take them with you to places. MMOs by definition cannot be played without Internet access. The two are in principle unable to mix well. If I need to be in my room where I have Internet to play a game, I sure as hell don't want it on a limited system like the DS. The only reason to put a game on a handheld system is for it to be portable, and since MMOs are by definition not portable, it could never work.

And good God, stop with the whole "How could they top Arceus???" thing! What in the world suddenly gave this fandom the idea that each generation's event legendaries needed to "top" the previous? I want a fifth generation; a sandbox MMO on the Wii done decently would be nice too, but it could never replace the main series.

I never acctualy cared about who'se the "top Legendary"- I never had the access to the special events anyway. All I care about I have a legendary, in fact several, and i dont care if one tops the other or not. When I saw Mew, I saw him as the ultimate attack user, and therefor almost unbeatable, since he has access to every attack. Almost every attack, since some attacks are breed moves and there's only one Mew.
When I saw deoxys, I saw him as 'the ultimate stat master', the only pokemon capable of taking a 'stormer', 'sweeper' and 'tank' role.

I dont really Care about Arceus- he has the best stat total, but he doesnt seem to beat the others by so many points. Another thing I noticed is that when the 3rd gen. was created, almost all legendaries and starters were made as war machines, stronger than the previous generations- probably they wanted to top the previous generations.

I would be happy to see a generation V, and, Idk, maybe another pokemon game in which there are no turns(note- not like pokemon ramble). By that I mean pokemon battles, traditional ones, in which you can fight without turns, and each pokemon has his speed.

Just a suggestion.

Sure. they made a "God" Pokemon, but there are a lot of other ideas. ie: Yin yang, elements etc...
And a pokemon MMO will be fun, but what about the battle system? ><

I highly doubt it's possible for a Gen. V since they've already had the God Pokemon and anything past is just going to be crap.

I've seen tons of people say stuff like this and I've never understood it.

So what if a couple of little islands think one particular being is God? The next island chain over probably believes something different anyway... and knowing how the Pokémon universe works, both of their "gods" probably exist and neither is actually quite as powerful as they're cracked up to be. Especially with the "10-year-olds can easily catch them in balls with the help of a few sorta-strong Pokémon and little bit of luck" thing.

And why do the next generation's legendaries have to be "bigger" than anything in the previous? Manaphy isn't nearly as impressive as the previous "cute" event-legendaries (doesn't grant wishes or sleep for centuries at a time, doesn't time travel, doesn't transform or have weirdass DNA. It just... swims), but that doesn't mean it's a horrible Pokémon. Even stat totals don't necessarily get higher... Kyogre/Groudon's were 10 points lower than Lugia/Ho-Oh's.

All they really need to do to make a 5th generation is do something new. We still haven't had any legendary Bug, Fighting, or Poison types, and there's plenty of type combinations that still haven't been used yet. And as far as mythological stuff, there's a pretty much infinite amount of stuff to base new legendaries on.

As for the MMORPG thing... I can't stand MMORPGs, and I don't like the whole "competitive battling" thing (which would probably infest a Pokémon MMORPG almost instantly, at least if it used the regular series' battle system) much either. So if they did make a Pokémon MMORPG, I wouldn't touch it with a 10-foot pole. I'd rather just see another generation of the regular series, or more of the spinoffs like Mystery Dungeon.

I've seen tons of people say stuff like this and I've never understood it.

So what if a couple of little islands think one particular being is God? The next island chain over probably believes something different anyway... and knowing how the Pokémon universe works, both of their "gods" probably exist and neither is actually quite as powerful as they're cracked up to be. Especially with the "10-year-olds can easily catch them in balls with the help of a few sorta-strong Pokémon and little bit of luck" thing.

And why do the next generation's legendaries have to be "bigger" than anything in the previous? Manaphy isn't nearly as impressive as the previous "cute" event-legendaries (doesn't grant wishes or sleep for centuries at a time, doesn't time travel, doesn't transform or have weirdass DNA. It just... swims), but that doesn't mean it's a horrible Pokémon. Even stat totals don't necessarily get higher... Kyogre/Groudon's were 10 points lower than Lugia/Ho-Oh's.

You win so much it's not even funny.

Really, people who say there CAN'T be a generation five are stupid, because there is always the ability to make something new. Why? Because Pokémon is a franchise with a huge potential for variety.

For the record, it's not impossible for the MMO idea to coexist with a fifth generation. It can be released as a pseudo-spin-off.

Further generations can be inserted in the game through the "expansion sets" idea.

There could even be an option to shift between generations (disabling some regions, enabling/disabling some battle mechanincs, so on forth) for the nostalgic people. There could even be a way to segregate competitive and fun-seeking players.

Back
Top Bottom