• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Suggestions So I am spriting in here (look, some fakemon)

xkze

poor choices in past friends/demeanor, aware of it
Pronoun
they
So as many of you may or may not have noticed, I have not sprited in a helluva long time.

But I am gonna sprite a little for a little bit. :V I was tossing some fakemon ideas around in my head and so I decided to sprite those! And so you get the grass-type deer starters.

grass.png

Turfawn, Rowdeer, and Staggrove, respectively.

Turfawn and Rowdeer are entirely scratch, Staggrove is entirely scratch other than a bit of Torterra's tree canopy weaved up there in the antlers.
and ya I know that Staggrove and probably Rowdeer too are much too big for even D/P's sprite dimensions. But, you know, who cares.

and so currently those are the only recent sprites I have. But guess what! I am going to make two other starter sets. For the sake of completeness. Stay tuned!

Last edited:
BAAAAAAMMBIIIIIIIIIIIII~

So this doesn't come off as obvious spam, here's a positive comment: "Looks good. =3"

man I was totally thinking BAMBIIIIIIIII a lot while doing these

haha, I am pretty sure Iveechan has a family of grass-type rabbit starters

True that.
Cute those critters are. <3

Well, now I'm imagining a marriage between the two families.

These are quite impressive actually. O_O
My only crits are that in the evolutions there's not much of a difference between them, other than antlers and manes, and how the antlers on Staggrove are the same but flipped. D:
But still, I really like these. You make the quality really natural and popout.

the antlers on staggrove aren't the same but flipped :(

but thanks! :D and yeah, I realized about halfway through that these designs are way too natural-y-looking to be pokemon designs. But then I was like, whatever.

Actually, they aren't too natural. Most of the early Pokemon look a bit more natural than the ones we've been getting recently. I really have no crit to give you. These are really good.

"And the God hath returned to roam with the mortals."

One crit; as Eclipse said, it looks too natural to be a Pokemon. Between the three, it looks like it actually grew, not evolved. Still, the quality hasn't faltered.

Oh! Sorry. OTL I guess it's because I think the antler on our right should have more... perspective? Well, judging on how its head is turned anyways.

And superyoshi, I have to agree. Lately, most of the Pokemon are less like animals + elements, but more of tech + element. D:

"And the God hath returned to roam with the mortals."

One crit; as Eclipse said, it looks too natural to be a Pokemon. Between the three, it looks like it actually grew, not evolved. Still, the quality hasn't faltered.

Erm...what about the Caterpie line? They look rather realistic....aside from Butterfree's mouth, anyways. I'd say they look more natural than a deer with a tree for antlers.

Erm...what about the Caterpie line? They look rather realistic....aside from Butterfree's mouth, anyways. I'd say they look more natural than a deer with a tree for antlers.
Fair deuce. Most Gen. I Pokemon are natural, with the more recent ones a bit more technicolor.

Ya they look pretty nice except the appearance itself is not "pokemon". Well, everyone is saying to make it look more realistic, actually, it needs the exact opposite. Well, it looks too real, pokemon usually have these's characteristics that, just define pokemon. Like, they need more grass type factors entwined within the fakemon, and meh, something that looks more easy too get along with, and relate to, well, butterfree explained it better in her fakemon guide,

You can't just take an existing animal or thing with random types and make it perform Pokémon attacks. You have to Pokémonize it; you need to give it a Pokémon-like name, and change its design in accordance with its type.

, from the Design part in Butterfree's Making Fake Pokemon guide

you need to give it a Pokémon-like name, and change its design in accordance with its type.

they do kind of have trees growing from their heads. :o

I mean, they aren't *too* entirely realistic-looking. They're just about at the same level as Ponyta and Rapidash, if not a tad bit more.
078-3.png
rowdeer.png
staggrove.png

Oh, I wasn't saying they should be realistic. Just pointing out that it's not a bad thing.

Most Gen. I Pokemon are natural, with the more recent ones a bit more technicolor.

This is why I despise the designs of the Gen. 4 evos and pre evos, with the exception of Bonsly, Munchlax, Mantyke, and Togekiss. They hardly resemble their relatives. Happiny looks too "new" to be a Chansey baby, even though it does fit the role. Taking a look at Magby and Elekid, they actually look related to their evolutions, while not outdoing them.

Anyways, I can't wait to see more of your sprites. And sorry about me going off on a tangent, but I sometimes do that. ^_^;

so to add more substance to this thread, I think I'll be a slave to the Random Sprite Generator for a little while.

EDIT:

Porygon-Z and Sabeleye
ok

sableyez.png

EDIT:

and here's a trio of sprites for the Spriter Triathalon thinger

1. Splice- Houndoom/Weavile
houndvile.png

2. Recolor- Entei with Yanmega's colors.
yanmentei.png

3. Scratch- Torkoal.
torkoal.png

Last edited:
Jasc Animation Shop. I forget whether or not it's free. Not that you couldn't find it free somewhere.

Back
Top Bottom