• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Suggestions So I am spriting in here (look, some fakemon)

I found some interesting stuff from 2008!

dugtrio.png
garde.png
magneton.png
mewgrimeceus.png
palkia.png
torterra.png
tickett.png

respectively; Full Dugtrio theory, some scratch Gardevoir I think was for opal at one point, a grass-type-change Magneton, some terrible mix of Pokemon whoever that was requested, fire-type-change Palkia, fire-type-change Torterra, Mavericks John and Sarah want to battle!

Did you animate this from scratch? Or did you use the original sprites as a skeleton?

Also these are really good. I love the fire-type Torterra, it's like a demon tortoise of Hades. :o

Your sprites are still purdy.

Some nitpicks:

Deer starters

- It bugs me that the first stage of the grass starter line looks too big - at least I'm picturing it to be "Bambi-sized", and that's bigger than most second stage starter Pokémon, making it not really fit in among the other starters. Perhaps shortening the legs and making them chubbier would make it look suitably small to be a first-stage starter, although a large part of what makes Bambi adorable is the overly long and thin legs that it can be wobbly on, so it would lose some of its charm. It still doesn't seem right that you'd suddenly have a starter four times the size of all the other starters.
- I'm not sure I like the colors you use on them, although it's partly a stylistic thing. Pokémon usually have brighter colors, but that's more a matter of style. More importantly, however, the colors of your starters feel a bit monotone - it's all just shades of green, even though they designs are reasonably complex. If you look at the canon starters, they generally have at least two different hues unless the design is very simple and relies on the contrast between light and dark - Bulbasaur is green and bluish plus the prominently red eyes, Charmander is orange but has a yellow belly, Squirtle is blue with a yellow belly and brown shell, Chikorita is especially simplistic with a light green body but a dark green leaf and neck seeds, etc. Your starters, on the other hand, just have a few shades of drab moss green, and then there's that little bit of brown in the antlers. I feel it would work better if the belly and back spots were white or more yellowish.
- The antlers on Staggrove may not be the same but flipped, but the reason they looked that way to Eclipse is probably that they look just about the same size, even when from the angle of the head, the right antler (our left) should point more backwards and thus look smaller than the left one (our right).
- I am also a bit bothered by the quasi-pillowshading look on Staggrove's neck fur(/grass/whatever). I know it only comes about because of the shadow of the head, but I'd make that shadow smaller just to make it look less, well, pillowshaded.
- Your shading is kind of odd; this is particularly prominent on Staggrove, where the light on the left half of the sprite seems to come from the left but on the right half it largely seems to come from the right. This is most noticeable on the neck, where the light is apparently managing to get to the rightmost part of it even though judging from, say, the hind legs, the light source is on the left.
- Stylistic issues: I don't know to what extent you're going for Pokémon-style (you're disregarding the size, but that doesn't say anything about the style, per se), but for Pokémon sprites you use way too much dithering on their bodies, especially so because you don't do it on the canopy on Staggrove's antlers, for instance. Additionally, your outlines get way light in the highlighted areas, though again not on Staggrove's antlers (which as a result look kind of out of place on a light background where this is really noticeable; it's as if they're jumping out from the sprite more than the body).
- Anatomy: several of the legs look kind of rubbery, mainly the hind legs on all of them. The heels also seem too low. Real deer have the heel about halfway down from the back to the ground, but you have them lower than that, although the heels are also kind of lacking definition thanks to the rubberiness part.
- It bugs me how far up the outline of the left front leg (our right) goes on Rowdeer. It makes it look like the shoulder protrudes far more than it ought to from the body.
- Rowdeer's belly also seems to thrust a bit too much forward considering where the head is placed; I'm getting the impression it would have to be craning its neck way back to achieve that pose. Since you're really not short on horizontal space, I recommend just moving the head a bit to the left.
- The left hind leg (our right) of Rowdeer is drawn as being too much behind the belly; it looks really odd, as if it's only half-attached. I recommend retracting the outline of the belly a bit there.
- Overall the design of Staggrove is a bit too reminiscent of Torterra for comfort, just thanks to pretty much having Torterra's tree on its head. There's really little to do about it, unless you modified the canopy somehow, but it reminds the viewer of Torterra immediately.

Others

- Porygon-Z/Sableye looks great, though the head could possibly look more attached to the body.
- I completely adore the Houndoom/Weavile, but the left claws (our right) blend in with the tail a bit, particularly on a dark background where the end of the tail looks detached, and the right horn (our left) doesn't seem to be at the same angle to the head as the left one (our right); it appears to point backwards.
- Yanmega!Entei looks good; nothing much to say.
- Scratch Torkoal's neck looks too thick compared to the head. The body also feels really compact; I think it's the combined effect of the position of the legs giving the impression it's facing more sideways than the shell (if you moved the left front leg (our right) a bit to the right, it would be much better) and the legs looking longer than on the official Torkoal, possibly because you make them point more straight downwards. On the left front leg (our right), the points of the claws also form a distractingly straight line; I'd move the rightmost (our left) claw up by a pixel to make it look more natural. Also, the left hind leg (our right) looks like it's pointing backwards, and has the same problem as Rowdeer with the line of the belly going way in front of it.
- Running Xikaze: Looks pretty good. I can't be bothered to look at each frame zoomed in. :P
- 2008 stuff: Well, it's old, so I won't be criticizing them in detail. The humorous ones are amusing, the Gardevoir sitting on the planet is pretty, Fire-retypes look really cool, etc. Mega-fusion thing looks REALLY cluttered, though.

hooray, in-depth criticism! ilu

you pointed out some things I'd realized and some things I hadn't even taken into account but will certainly in the future!
see this is what sprite threads are for

also! opening up suggestions for the time being.

Alright, give us a... D/P/Pt sprite of any of the leaders in Gen. II. Even the Elite Four and the Kanto leaders. *coughBlainecough*

Wow, the fire re-types look awesome! The rest look pretty good too (dugtrio should be in the next smash :p).

Grimdour: Blaine is overrated. Falker needs more love.

SpriteFalkner.gif
falkner.png

that kimono thing makes him look so fat :(

And ultraviolet: Yeah it uses the Lucas running frames from the beginning of Platinum as base.

Last edited:
veekunmkii.png
veekunmkiiglasses.png

vee, with varying levels of glasses having

typhlosionh.png

Typhlosion scratch. :o

Last edited:
The flames look nice, but I think the feet are too thin upfront and the back have no muscles.

Either that or I'm shite with anatomy.

flambengo.png

Flambéngo
Species: Wading Pokémon
Type:
fire.png
/
flying.png

Flavor: Flambéngo flock to natural hot springs, where they search for prey. Their fire-retardant feathers are often harvested for human use.

biggrin.png

Biggrin
Species: Spambot Pokémon
Type:
normal.png
/
electric.png

Flavor: This Pokémon is capable of nearly instant travel across digital space in the internet. It is highly mischievous, and has been known to impersonate humans while online.

^
Both for contests on PMFΩ.

What? No, it's completely scratched.

anywhoo, I gave it an animation and mini-sprite.

flambengoanim.gif
flambengoback.png
flambengoicon.gif

Flambéngo
Species: Wading Pokémon
Type:
fire.png
/
flying.png

Flavor: Flambéngo flock to natural hot springs, where they search for prey. Their fire-retardant feathers are often harvested for human use.

Yay for the random vague challenges I give to people on PMFOmega!

The coloring on Flambengo kind of bothers me, actually; the pink lacks contrast. I like the reverse dots on it, though.

Back
Top Bottom