• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Differences between men and women

Speaking of all of this color related talk, I don't even see clothes as being "for a girl" and "for a boy". I see clothes as being feminine and masculine, but I don't think any clothes should be restricted for just one gender (or restricted by society, you know what I mean). We just made clothes become that way, which bothers me.

:\

Well, clothes are generally cut so that they will fit their respective gender more. Women are generally very curvy, so their shirts are cut to fit their curves, while men's shirts fit their general body shape.

Mmm, I agree with the males being the 'persuers' in heteroseuxal relationships, but that's biological and happens in virtually all mammals; females invest a ton of resources into their limited number of eggs, so they choose partners carefully so they don't end up spending time and energy raising a baby with crappy genes, while the males want to sleep with everything that moves because they can spread their genes all over the place and not have to invest anything but ending up with as many offspring as possible X3

Why on earth would it be evolutionarily beneficial for men to like blue and women to like pink, or for boys to be more interested in sports, technology and mathematics than girls, or girls to be more interested in cooking, nursing and being flight attendants?

Well, that could always have to do with the (to my knowledge) natural tendency of the average female to be motherly. So, in fact, women could actually be better at nursing than males

Anyways, I have always thought that men are stronger and women are better at defending themselves and others than required. I'm basing this off of observations (Yeah, I know enough that you DON'T mess with the child of ANY mother, no matter the species)

I have always thought that men are stronger and women are better at defending themselves and others than required. I'm basing this off of observations (Yeah, I know enough that you DON'T mess with the child of ANY mother, no matter the species)

Well men are, in most cases, physically stronger, but yes women when defending herself or her children is something you shouldn't provoke.

Actually... I was going to mention the mothering instincts of a cat, and the way they just forget about a baby or two, but I just remembered that mother cats will do that when they know the baby is sick and they can't do anything about it, or the baby has a defect that isn't worth living through... right? D:

Well, clothes are generally cut so that they will fit their respective gender more. Women are generally very curvy, so their shirts are cut to fit their curves, while men's shirts fit their general body shape.

I meant the color of the clothes, not the clothes themselves. Some men look very nice in shirts made for women though. :)

Last edited:
I think all of the factors mentioned in the first post are based entirely on the type of person, and i'm pretty sure most of the differences people point out are purely stereotypical.

Imo, emotion is just based on your brain chemistry; and yes, I think women are more likely to have a more volatile chemical balance in their brain than guys, but that's not all women.

Raising children well depends if you're a responsible and caring person, or an ass (which most likely defined by brain chemistry and upbringing.)

"Traditional" women are only better at "caring for kids, cooking, cleaning, etc." because that's all they do. it's not something you're born with, but rather something the men don't do because the traditional women assumes that role.
Basically it's practice whcih makes them better at it.

Just my opinions. I can be very emotional, and If I feel like crying I'll cry. There's a lot of men and women who have a completely stereotypical outlook on the opposite gender, and it shits the hell out of me when i'm viewed as if i'm identical to 3 billion other guys. xD

Speaking of emotions, our Health teacher once told us that women generally hold in their feelings until they explode out and men generally burst when they are annoyed.

I noticed that despite, unwillingly, being a guy I seem to have more female tendances....

such as following a few meaningful deep friendships rather than having many shallow aquaintences

or holding on to feeling and suddenly having outbursts

I also lack compeditveness...

recently I wore a long skirt at a friends house and havent felt so "at home" since....

I don't think what that health teacher says is true.

I know lots of girls, and none of them hold their emotions in until the point of exploding. Men are usually the ones who do that. I'm not sure about the annoyed thing.

I tend to hold in stuff for a really long time and then have a shitfit at everything that looks at me.

And I'm a guy. My gender is mysterious.

I noticed that despite, unwillingly, being a guy I seem to have more female tendances....

such as following a few meaningful deep friendships rather than having many shallow aquaintences

or holding on to feeling and suddenly having outbursts

I also lack compeditveness...

recently I wore a long skirt at a friends house and havent felt so "at home" since....

for the record I don't think that's weird. It's just less common than guys acting like guys. also sexism ahoy~

This is more of a ton of information than a structured argument (though I'd certainly say it points toward a "our concepts of gender are almost entirely constructed by society" conclusion), but I thought I'd post it because lots of the current posts of individual experience "I played with dinosaurs and I'm a girl!"/"I'm a boy and I cry sometimes!") don't hold much water in a debate situation.

Painstakingly typed out from Sociology 3rd Edition (2000) by Anthony Giddens (typed by me; he wrote the book):

How far are the differences in the behaviour of women and men the result of sex rather than gender? […] Some authors hold that there are innate differences of behaviour between women and men that appear in some form in all cultures; such researches are likely to draw attention to the fact that, in almost all cultures, men rather than women take part in hunting and warfare. Surely, they argue, this indicates that men possess biologically based tendencies towards aggression that women lack?

Other researches disagree. The level of aggressiveness of males, they say, varies widely between cultures, and women are expected to be more passive and gentle in some cultures than others (Elshtain, 1987). Moreover, they add, because a trait is more or less universal, it does not follow that it is biological in origin; there may be cultural factors of a general kind that produce such characteristics. [eg. In most cultures women raise children, making them unable to go out hunting]

Studies of mother-infant interaction show differences between boys and girls even when parents believe their reactions to both are the same. In one classic experiment, five young mothers were observed in interaction with a six-month-old called Beth. They tended to smile at her often and offer her dolls to play with. She was seen as ‘sweet’, having a ‘soft cry’. The reaction of a second group of mothers to a child of the same age called Adam was noticeably different. The baby was more likely to be offered a train or other ‘male toys’ to play with. Beth and Adam were the same child, dressed in different clothes.

The toys, picture books and TV programmes experienced by young children all tend to emphasise differences between male and female attributes. Toy shops and mail-order catalogues usually organizes their product by gender. Even toys that seem gender-neutral terms o gender are not so in practice; toy kittens and rabbits are recommended for girls, while lions and tigers are seen as more appropriate for boys.

(more on gender socialization because I love reading about it)

In 1972, Lenore Weitzman and her colleagues carried out and analysis of gender roles in some of the most widely used books for preschool children and found clear differences in gender roles. Males played a much larger part in the stories and pictures than females, outnumbering females by a ratio of 11 to 1. Including animals with gender identities, the ratio was 95 to 1.
The activities of males and females also differed. The males engaged in adventurous pursuits and outdoor activities demanding independence and strength. Where girls did appear, they were portrayed as passive and confined to mostly indoor activities. Girls cooked and cleaned for the males, or awited their return. Much the same was true of the adult men and women represented in the storybooks. Women who were not wives and mothers were imaginary creatures like witches or faurly godmothers. There was not a single woman in all the books studied who held an occupation outside the home. By contrast, the men were depicted as fighters, policemen, judges and so forth.

There are now some storybooks available with strong, independent girls as the main characters, but few depict boys in non-traditional roles. A mother of a five-year-old boy told of her son’s reaction when she reversed the sexes of the characters in a story she read to him. [basically, the kid got confused and upset].

There’s a really, really good quote by Jan Morris, who commented on how her treatment by everyone, no matter how subtle, changed after having sexual reassignment surgery (thus showing how differently people treat men and women simply because of their sex) that I read in another textbook ages ago, but I can’t find it. Just as well; this post is huge.

I don't think what that health teacher says is true.

I know lots of girls, and none of them hold their emotions in until the point of exploding. Men are usually the ones who do that. I'm not sure about the annoyed thing.

Actually, yeah it probably was the opposite, I just have bad memory xD

Could you give me an example? I'm not sure if I understand correctly.
I mean, even though I remember it's the opposite now, I remember when we were talking about domestic violence and she said that if a man is hurt by a woman (emotional level) he usually hides this, until it explodes. While if vice versa, the woman would get angry if a man hurt her (emotional level). I can't quite recall it though, even if it was just last year xD It still is an example of how men and women are different.

To me gender is not physical at all, but is altogether insubstantial. It is soul, perhaps, it is talent, it is taste, it is environment, it is how one feels, it is light and shade, it is inner music. . .

Is that the one you were talking about, or is it a different quote altogether? That pretty much seems right, anyway.

Last edited:
Dewgong, please. :3

Yeah at least I was told in school that it was usually the other way around, we started that discussion in sex ed. for some reason.

Dunno, could be wrong, don't trust them dewgongs.

There are now some storybooks available with strong, independent girls as the main characters, but few depict boys in non-traditional roles. A mother of a five-year-old boy told of her son’s reaction when she reversed the sexes of the characters in a story she read to him. [basically, the kid got confused and upset].

I lol'd. xD

There really is too much based on stereotypes, though. For the most part, I like to believe that everyone is different..

Speaking of emotions, our Health teacher once told us that women generally hold in their feelings until they explode out and men generally burst when they are annoyed.

I'm with the mudfish guy, I tend to suffer in silence over a number of weeks and bottle things up inside until I just explode.. and when I say explode, I mean literally rip-someone's-arm-off-and-then-beat-the-shit-out-of-them-with-it explode. xD

Sometimes I actually wonder if I got a sex change like one week after I was born, because it would explain a lot. But then I never really had much of a dad, which I think explains an awful lot more.

I also only go for a few meaningful friendships, (but i'm sure 90% of this forum are the same, or similar.)

I forgot what you wanted to be called, sorry :)

Yeah, I'm pretty sure it's the opposite now, since I've actually gone through that time bomb xD

Yeah, I heard on the TV or somewhere I can't remember that the male chromosone would stuff up and there'd be no males in the future.

This is pretty cool. It's a 7-minute mini-documentary about the portrayals of men and women in Disney movies.

My god, Gaston is scary. The fact he's portrayed as a bad character doesn't come close to justifying all the "I'm going to rape you now" hints and the fact he doesn't get that no means no.

Back
Top Bottom