• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

A "mainstream" question

Would you abandon a non-mainstream band if they became mainstream?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 25 44.6%
  • Who gives a fuck?

Votes: 31 55.4%

• Total voters

Ether's Bane

future Singaporean
Pronoun
he
I've noticed that a lot of you take having your music called "mainstream" as an insult. So, if the non-mainstream music that you like became mainstream, would you abandon those bands?

what is "mainstream"

what the fuck you even talking about? music should be good who cares if anyone else likes 'em

snow patrol is one of my favourite bands and they are mainstream as fuck

I think when people say "mainstream" in a disdainful way they're referring to the bands that are mainstream but don't deserve to be. Like Nickelback.

Just sayin'.

well, thanks to guitar hero, bands i love like sonic youth and dinosaur jr. have gotten "mainstream" exposure. and some musicians i love, like lou reed and david bowie, are (or were) mainstream. this hasn't stopped me from loving them and it's not about to.

I could honestly care less if the music I like is well-known or not, similarly how I don't care about others' negative opinion about the music I like

It is kind of dumb to let how much other people like X influence how much you like X, and it is equally so in either direction. Liking something just because everybody else likes it is dumb. Disliking something just because everybody else likes it is dumb. Now, if you don't like something and it is insanely popular anyway, it can annoy you somewhat more than otherwise, but only if you disliked it, or at least didn't care for it, in the first place.

What a lot of people tend to forget is that something being "mainstream" means nothing more and nothing less than that it appeals to a lot of people. Things don't become popular completely out of the blue because everybody else is a sheep, and people who like what's mainstream generally genuinely like it, not just because everybody else does.

well, thanks to guitar hero, bands i love like sonic youth and dinosaur jr. have gotten "mainstream" exposure. and some musicians i love, like lou reed and david bowie, are (or were) mainstream. this hasn't stopped me from loving them and it's not about to.

It is a known fact that mainstream is only bad if it was in the nineties or later. Mainstream sixties, seventies, and eighties bands are fine.

I really couldn't care less. Hell, if a band I liked became mainstream, FUCKYEAH. More fans, more exposure, more profit for the band.

It is a known fact that mainstream is only bad if it was in the nineties or later. Mainstream sixties, seventies, and eighties bands are fine.

So you're saying it's a fact that new mainstream bands are bad and old mainstream bands are good? :unsure:

By personal preference, I genuinely like new mainstream, and new music in general, a lot better than old music.

I don't think that how mainstream a band or artist is should determine anything about them. I like some bands that pretty much everyone knows of, (Coldplay, Linkin Park, Yellowcard,) and some bands that hardly anyone I know in real life knows about. (The Rasmus, Lacuna Coil, Does It Offend You, Yeah?) And say one day The Rasmus comes out with a single so huge, it becomes a megahit even in America, and from then on, all the major radio stations are fighting to get the first play for all the new Rasmus singles. I would just like the fact that more people have heard of them, and love the band just as much as I did before.

Nobody would say they'd stop listening to their favourite bands, but some people would.

I wouldn't, but still, I'd rather that my favourite bands don't all become "mainstream". Because not everyone is meant to appreciate this stuff. People would force themselves into it because it gives them a good image, not because they genuinely appreciate it, and it would ruin the music. It would sound the same, but with live gigs and whatnot, the atmosphere would be different. Major labels would muscle in on bands and try to alter what they're about, what they do. And then there are those people that try desperately to avoid all mainstream bands, to be against all the trends, and they're just as bad. Maybe worse.

Also, I barely know anybody that doesn't know the Rasmus and Lacuna Coil. They have had big hits already. Just sayin'.

You're mixing up "fact" and "opinion". Some of us happen to like mainstream nineties music and even modern mainstream, thank you very much.

And like pretty much everyone else said already, not liking something just because a lot of people like it is as stupid is liking something because very few people like it.

You're mixing up "fact" and "opinion". Some of us happen to like mainstream nineties music and even modern mainstream, thank you very much.

What? Opinion in music? Everyone knows that music is defined my hard boundaries with no room for improvisation; if you like mainstream music after the eighties, you clearly don't deserve to listen to any music at all. This is pure fact.

I like Coldplay, David Bowie, etc. because, in my opinion, they make good music. I enjoy listening to them. It has absolutely nothing to do with their popularity, either now or in the past.

And when you think about it, every band is popular to a degree.

What? Opinion in music? Everyone knows that music is defined my hard boundaries with no room for improvisation; if you like mainstream music after the eighties, you clearly don't deserve to listen to any music at all. This is pure fact.

I only just realized you've been being sarcastic...

Sorry ^^;

Oh heck no. Two of my favorite bands aren't mainstream (heck, if anybody knows that the band Draft Week even exists, that is amazing) , and I'd love it if they were mainstream, cause they're that good.

Back
Top Bottom