• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

A "mainstream" question

Would you abandon a non-mainstream band if they became mainstream?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 25 44.6%
  • Who gives a fuck?

Votes: 31 55.4%

• Total voters
I always figured 'mainstream' was just an insult used by people who are trying to be trendy or special snowflakes by only liking lesser-known bands with small followings. And then for some reason they get annoyed when suddenly everyone likes their band and they aren't special any more. Said people don't really care about the band or their music, only how unique they think they are.

Most of the bands/musicians I like are mainstream anyway (or at least mainstream in Australia). I mean one of my favourite bands is Coldplay. I like a couple of local/Australian bands that likely nobody here would have ever heard of (bluejuice, The Cat Empire, The Grates) but I'd be glad if they became more mainstream because they'd get more money for their music and their music would be easier to find/buy.

Also, I barely know anybody that doesn't know the Rasmus and Lacuna Coil. They have had big hits already. Just sayin'.

Must be a location thing, then. I live in the United States and barely anyone has heard of them here. The only other person I know who has heard of the Rasmus is the person who introduced me to them, and the only other people I know who have heard of Lacuna are those who know them from Guitar Hero.

Well, for me, take Metallica for example. They aren't the most "mainstream" around, but they can still be considered mainstream when looking at their more recent stuff. Honestly, I don't like their recent music, and only listen to their thrash stuff from the '80s, but they are still my favorite band. If I liked a band at any point during their career, I won't hate them if they change their sound or become popular to the general public.

I will like music when I hear it or hate it when I hear it. It's perfectly possible to love one album a band has done and hate the next. 99% of bands have slumps in their creative material. (The other 1% don't have peaks.)

i don't really follow popular culture enough to even understand what is or isn't "mainstream".

like, i was really surprised when i discovered from some German kid that the Kooks are actually a fairly popular, internationally well-known band when all along i'd thought that they just had was some tiny fanbase in the North of England.

did i start to care when i found this out? nope. in fact, i was rather proud that my lovely little band from Brighton was apparently worming its way into the Deutsche Top 40. :3

Well I wouldn't, because why punish yourself? However, with songs that have meaning, it's slightly different. It's stupid when people listen to darker music 'because it's cool' and pay no attention to what the music means. Basically, I guess, it's that whole thing about hating wannabees.

I hate it when people label me due to what music I listen to and stuff, especially when, as usually happens, it's me who brings that particular band to the schools knowledge, so I prefer it when people haven't heard of what I listen to.

I always figured 'mainstream' was just an insult used by people who are trying to be trendy or special snowflakes by only liking lesser-known bands with small followings. And then for some reason they get annoyed when suddenly everyone likes their band and they aren't special any more. Said people don't really care about the band or their music, only how unique they think they are.

THIS. I hate when people are like that.
Almost all of the bands I like are mainstream, and I don't give a crap what people think. :3
Hence my selection of the third option~

Anyway, I wouldn't abandon them, but it's probably more likely that I'd stop listening to them due to a sound change or something.

The short answer "Who gives a fuck?"

The long answer, I wouldn't abandon them, no, but I'd get really unjustifiably pissed-off with those people who hear one song and suddenly say that that band is their favourite band, without listening to any of their other songs and then accuse me of being a tight-ass when I point out that they haven't listened to anything other than that song.

Hey! A Rasmus fan! <3

There's two sides to this for me.

I would love it if Draconian, etc. went mainstream, so then I could hear their songs on the radio and request them. My friends would know who the fuck I'm talking about all the time. Plus more money for the band means maybe they could spare a trip to this insignificant town (or the towns near it).

On the other hand, more popularity means more annoying people wanting to talk to me about it. Unless people are my close friends, I usually don't like disgussing things I like with them unless it's certain things, like video games. And gods forbid I ever see a Kamelot song on Guitar Hero or Rock Band...

(actually RB wouldn't be so bad, I could sing then :3)

So no, mainstream is fine with me. And non-mainstream is cool too.

Wait, I'm gonna change my answer:

Define "became mainstream." Do you mean that the band has changed their sound to be more "radio-friendly," or do you mean they just had some random spike in popularity but have kept their sound? If it's the latter, HELL NO! I like a band because I enjoy their music, not because they are unknown or underground. It just so happens that I just don't enjoy the current mainstream and love the underground stuff. That's just my personal taste. If thrash ever goes mainstream, I'm going mainstream with it. If the band changes their sound, that's another story. If I didn't like the new sound, I wouldn't listen to the new stuff, but still love them for their old stuff.

I honestly don't care. I don't even have a favourite band. I just listen to whatever sounds good in my ears. Who is with me?

Back
Top Bottom