• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

New Type

... What? Fighting and Bug are two of the best types in the game.

In my mind at least, there are very few good bug attacks or Pokémon, and not all that many good ones with fighting either. I agree that the types are useful if you can actually find good ones of them, but that is difficult to do.

Of course, it's been somewhat remedied in the 3rd and 4th generations, but I still think I have a valid point.

Focus punch. Brick Break is okay, Close Combat, Mach Punch for a good priority, Focus Blast for Infernape special sets or any Special Attack oriented Pokemon really(Provided you can settle for low accuracy and PP), Reversal(If you can Endure and such. Not so good for OU though. D:), Dynamicpunch with No guard Machamp, Cross Chop(a tad bad accuracy and bad PP, but increased Crit. Hit ratio).

Infernape, Machamp, Gallade, Breloom, Heracross and Lucario in OU, but there's plenty more with pontential but just can't make the jump, or are out classed, such as:
Blaziken(Although he could use his unique moves to jump into standard over Infernape), Hariyama, and Medicham.

Fighting is also very helpful and is likely to be packed on for T-tar and Weavile.
Fighting also counters the less popular but still out there Snorlax.

In my mind at least, there are very few good bug attacks or Pokémon, and not all that many good ones with fighting either. I agree that the types are useful if you can actually find good ones of them, but that is difficult to do.
I take it you've never played competitively.

Some of the existing types are really random (bug, dragon, fighting). I think that if they have such random types that don't really seem elemental, then they should for sure have Light, and probably Cosmic, too.

Some of the existing types are really random (bug, dragon, fighting). I think that if they have such random types that don't really seem elemental, then they should for sure have Light, and probably Cosmic, too.

That really isn't a good reason at all. The types are pretty much balanced now, we don't need new types just because some are "random." It's pointless to just suddenly add new types because some of the existing ones don't make perfect sense in your mind.

For Light, Dark doesn't mean darkness, it means evil, so if that's the reason that you think it's needed, then it's wrong. And if it's because we need a "good" type to balance out the evil one, Psychic and Normal kind of do that. Most of the "nice" or "good" Pokemon are Normal ones, like Chansey, and Dark and Psychic are also opposite.

Cosmic could work if it, but really there just isn't a reason for it to suddenly be added just because it could work. It isn't needed, because while Clefairy and other Pokemon could be Cosmic, the types that they already are work fine and so they don't need to be changed. It's a stupid idea to change a Pokemon's type that's fine as it is with no good reason besides the fact that it could work.

I agree Bug, Fighting, and Dragon aren't really elemental, but they're still needed for Pokemon that are bugs, dragons, or ones that are, well... Fighting ones. Not really something to describe that. Without those types, there couldn't really be bugs, dragons, or fighting... things. Even if they aren't elemental, they're needed. Is Ghost elemental? Is Normal elemental? Is Flying elemental? No. But we need them. It doesn't matter if it's not elemental, we still need it, so just because some aren't elemental that's no reason to add some that are.

Last edited:
All-in-all, however nice any new types might sound or however flavorful having X type might be, adding another type would most likely upset the game's balance.

<rant>

No. No more types. Especially not light.

Dark and Steel were created to combat the superiority of Psychic because it had only two weaknesses (These was Ghost and Bug. Ghost was super-effective to itself and all the ghost-types in the first generation were dual typed ghost and poision, which psychic is super-effective to. There were hardly any strong Bug pokemon either).
Dark-types are immune to and are super-effective against Psychic and Steel is resistant to Psychic. It's been balanced by Dark, you don't need Light to 'make it equal' or something.
What kind of imbalance would Light cause? I mean, not only is it terribly, terribly corny, it sounds like one of those games where 'light' is 'good' and 'dark' is 'evil'. Pokemon isn't like that at all, all types can be used by anybody and it's not about right vs wrong anyway. I'd hate to see something so predictable like 'Light' in a pokemon game (I mean, it's predictable enough already, amirite?). Light also sounds too tied to religion (they'd have to call it something else) and what about fire? Fire is light in its most primal essence.

Besides, I'd rather see them challenge dual-types and make weird pokemon that are fire/water or ice/fire. :)

Sound is also silly to me. Most sound-based moves aren't damaging anyway, and what would it be super-effective to? Yelling at fire-types won't put them out. The only advantage for sound that I can think of would be for Psychic types (to give them headaches :P).

All of the type advantages and weaknesses make sense. Except Bug against Psychic and Dark, I'm guessing they did that so it wasn't completely useless.

</rant>.

Last edited:
I don't think that adding new types is a good idea either. I just think that they should have added a Light type with Dark and Steel in Gen II. I know it's too late to add them now, but I think they are good ideas that they could have used. Had they added a light type in Gen II, they would make it make sense. The same is true with Cosmic. But it's too late now.

Focus punch. Brick Break is okay, Close Combat, Mach Punch for a good priority, Focus Blast for Infernape special sets or any Special Attack oriented Pokemon really(Provided you can settle for low accuracy and PP), Reversal(If you can Endure and such. Not so good for OU though. D:), Dynamicpunch with No guard Machamp, Cross Chop(a tad bad accuracy and bad PP, but increased Crit. Hit ratio).
Er... Aura Sphere? 90 power and incapable of missing?

The types are pretty much balanced now
Poison only having one strength is balanced?...

All of the type advantages and weaknesses make sense. Except Bug against Psychic and Dark, I'm guessing they did that so it wasn't completely useless.

The 'simpleness' of bugs is probably the reson for their advantage. Pyschic and 'Evil' are very complex mental and emotional things so bugs, having little mental and probably no emotional capacity, are very effective.

These 'new types' under discussion here are themes, and probably should stay as such. I'd like to see a pokemon which uses light-based moves (like whismur/louderd/exploud, but not as strange) but thats me. There probably won't be any new types as the current types have worked since generation II and new moves have been added to improve weaker types. Changing the types now would also result in a need to change a whole lot of existing moves and pokemon, which is a whole lot of work which will not be done unless needed.

That's the point though. I mean, they'll most likely never be needed, so why bother? If anybody thinks that it'd make the game more fun, then I think at least a tiny bit of consideration should be put into the subject.

Poison only having one strength is balanced?...

Are you suggesting that if a light or sound type were added, poison should be super-effective against it? How would that work? -.-"

Idk about water, but bug - yeah, that's an awesome idea =]
It's not like that already? =/?
I thought it was too, but one day I tried using a Poison move on a Bug-type, and it was neutral. =/ I think it was Ruby/Sapphire, and I could've sworn Poison > Bug in the first generation... but I trie it on Yellow, and nope.

I thought it was too, but one day I tried using a Poison move on a Bug-type, and it was neutral. =/ I think it was Ruby/Sapphire, and I could've sworn Poison > Bug in the first generation... but I trie it on Yellow, and nope.

Are you sure it was a bug type pkmn? Maybe it was a bug/something else type. That might explain...

Dang =/
That's really wierd. I'd always assumed that poison > bug.
Well then yes. If I had to promote any type change, it'd be that >(
Fer-Snazzle, I propose that we go to Japan and complain to Game Freak about this in person.

Or, you know, live with it. It's all good.

Back
Top Bottom