• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

The HeartGold/SoulSilver Status Thread

Just took out Team Rocket, got through the Ice Cave, and am now in Blackthorn. Obsessively training up my team to take on Claire, as I'm OCD like that.

On SS, meanwhile, I've just gotten to Goldenrod, and am trying for an Elekid in the Pokewalker before I advance any farther.

HG
Roland the Quilava, 35
Francheska the Ampharos, 34
Apollo the Espeon, 34
Harriet the Murkrow, 34
Ellen the Poliwhirl, 34*Gotta find a trading partner*
Blanche the Bellosom, 34

SS
Regina the Bayleef, 18
Rupert the Magby, 15
Miles the Togepi, 15
Bonnie the Slowpoke, 15
*Spot for Elekid, Zachary*
*Spot for Eevee, Diana*

Looking at the time you posted, I beat him about an hour before you.
I must've been the first on TCoD :]

What? No... I beat him the day before I posted. I shouldn't've said just... But here's my SoulSilver team. Unlike most people, I only have SoulSilver.

Squirt (Blastoise) - Lv84 - Got from Professor Oak.
Muddy Guy (Swampert) - Lv86 - Got from Steven.
Fireburst (Typhlosion) - Lv87 - Got from Professor Elm as starter.
Luigi (Lugia) - Lv85 - Got at Whirl Islands.
Hoenn (Ho-oh) - Lv85 - Got at Bell Tower.
Dragon (Dragonite) - Lv86 - Got from guy in Dragon's Den.

Just beat Chuck, trying my luck at the Pokeathon. I don't know why I keep beating gym leaders with an underleveled team, since all of mine are at Lv26 now.
Except for Shounen the Togepi, who I am trying to evolve so I can get a more dignified flier.

Whitney has just been defeated! She was a lot harder than Bugsy, her Miltank screwed up my main strategy twice with Attract.

My current party(all lv. 16):
Togi/Togepi(M)
Zaro/Flaaffy(M)
Shiashu/Meowth(F)
Bella/Oddish(F)
Slasho/Sandshrew(M)
Flaro/Quilava(M)

Going to Cinnabar before I take the Kanto Gym Challenge. I'm going to start with Brock, then work my way up in the proper order. :D

What? No... I beat him the day before I posted. I shouldn't've said just... But here's my SoulSilver team. Unlike most people, I only have SoulSilver.

Squirt (Blastoise) - Lv84 - Got from Professor Oak.
Muddy Guy (Swampert) - Lv86 - Got from Steven.
Fireburst (Typhlosion) - Lv87 - Got from Professor Elm as starter.
Luigi (Lugia) - Lv85 - Got at Whirl Islands.
Hoenn (Ho-oh) - Lv85 - Got at Bell Tower.
Dragon (Dragonite) - Lv86 - Got from guy in Dragon's Den.

Quick question: what did you do for level grinding? I don't really know a good place for training

Taking a break from grinding at the E4, but I'm going to head back soon.

And does anyone know an even better spot for grinding? I want to get to at least Lv. 70 before I stand a valid chance against Red.

EDIT: I'm already formulating my team for the next game that I do. So far, it looks something like this-
Feraligatr
Dragonite
Xatu
Ninetales
Magneton

Anyone have any other suggestions?

Slaughtering Team Rocket. That guy who made the "Not Suspicious at All, No Need to Worry" Souvenir Shop must be the "Don't look behind the poster, there's no secret switch behind it" guy from Kanto.

Now I'm climbing the lighthouse! I went in the elevator and it told me it was taking me up to the light room, and I got all happy. But it turns out I have to climb the whole thing anyway... Oh well, some good training I guess. Team:

Quilava (lvl 28)
Scyther (lvl 28)
Pidgeotto (lvl 27)
Hypno (lvl 27)
Umbreon (lvl 27)
Chinchou (lvl 27)

Kinda sucks that I won't get the Metal Coat till after the Elite Four (without trading one over, of course). But I decided that I wasn't going to do any trading from Pearl until I was done. My Scyther is Impish, so it's a nice nature for Scizor I guess.

I've also decided that I'm going to complete the Pokedex without hacking! It'll give me something else to do after I finish the story, besides raising Pokemon for battles with friends.

I'm having fun, but I dislike all Pokéathlons except Speed and Stamina because they either contain Goal Roll, or one of the other two I don't like, but I can't remember them at the moment.

I also got two members of my team from the Safari Zone, both named after numbers: 18 the Kangaskhan and 451 the Misdreavus. I'm going to be delayed going to Blackthorn because I need to train them... I also needed to teach some new HMs due to the lack of room for HM slaves.

Also, there seems to be something weird with my game.... the amount of Naive-natured Pokemon I have can't possibly equal one fifth of my total of forty Pokémon... I had a lot more, but I soft-reset upon catching them.
(Yasha) Feraligatr [F]
Name origin: A female demon in Japanese myth. Random idea to make it my starter.
Ability: Torrent {Hasty}
Lv 38
- Crunch
- Slash
- Surf
- Ice Fang

(Envy) Pidgeot [F]
Name origin: A character in Fullmetal Alchemist with a "Bzzt-flop effect" that Pidgeot would be perfectly able to imitate.
Ability: Keen Eye {Sassy}
Lv 40
- Fly
- FeatherDance
- Wing Attack
- Quick Attack

(Hanabi) Seaking [F]
Name origin: Japanese for "fireworks." I thought Goldeen's tail looked like the sparks from a firework...
Ability: Swift Swim {Naive}
Lv 40
- Peck
- Aqua Ring
- Waterfall
- Fury Attack

(Shadowmoon) Umbreon [F]
Name origin: Shadow-Moon is the name of my Pokésona, whose name was derived from the Naruto ending "Yellow Moon" by Akeboshi.
Ability: Synchronize {Naive}
Lv 34
- Shadow Ball
- Quick Attack
- Confuse Ray
- Pursuit

(18) Kangaskhan [F]
Name origin: If I told anyone, they wouldn't even remember it.
Ability: Early Bird {Relaxed}
Lv 20
- Leer
- Fake Out
- Strength
- Bite

(451) Misdreavus [F]
Name origin: From the book title Fahrenheit 451, which randomly came to my mind at the time, and I thought it would sound kind of creepy to name a Misdreavus 451 for some reason. 451 was originally a male but I thought it would be too taxing to catch another Misdreavus and have it turn out Naive.
Ability: Levitate {Serious}
Lv 19
- Psywave
- Mean Look
- Astonish (can't wait until it learns Shadow Ball)
- Confuse Ray

I'm trying to level up before taking on Pryce. If I'm going to one-shot it with Pele, I want her to be a Typhlosion first.
And I also want Laluz to evolve into Lanturn before I get to Clair. And I need her to learn an Ice attack.
And I have a Golbat- a male!- named Tamwyn. I really want my Crobat ;_;

Got Soulsilver last Sunday. It was magical.

Anyway, I've just finished retracing my steps for Pokemon I missed the first time through now that I have Surf. Working my way towards Olivine. I decided to try something different than I usually do this time, never run. My theory is that if I fight or capture every single wild Pokemon, then I won't have to do any grinding,or at least not much. It's been working out good so far. I haven't run from a single battle yet, and my Pokemon are all mid-twenties just after beating Morty.

My team, as of now, is:

Slowpoke, Lv. 19 (going for Slowking)
Tackle
Growl
Water Gun
Confusion

Eevee, Lv. 21 (going for Umbreon)
Tackle
Tail Whip
Growl
Sand-Attack

Furret, Lv. 24
Cut
Fury Swipes
Surf
Quick Attack

Quilava, Lv. 25
Tackle
Flame Wheel
Quick Attack
Smokescreen

Haunter, Lv. 25
Hypnosis
Shadow Ball
Shadow Punch
Curse

Flaaffy, Lv. 26
Thundershock
Charge
Headbutt
Thunder Wave

Slowpoke is so low because I just caught him and am training him, but I'm wondering what I should do. I was thinking of either taking out Slowpoke for Natu, and eventually Xatu, to have a good Flying and Psychic type, but I was also thinking of keeping Slowpoke, and dropping Furret for Skarmory.

I want a flying type, in any case, but I'd like a psychic, too, to which I thought Xatu would be nice. But, would having a Steel/Flying and a Water/Psychic be better than a Psychic/Flying and a Normal that knows Surf? Also, I was looking at Xatu's moveset, and it's not really that spectacular.

Also, question: Where do you get a King's Rock? It wasn't in Slowpoke Well.

Last edited:
Slowpoke is so low because I just caught him and am training him, but I'm wondering what I should do. I was thinking of either taking out Slowpoke for Natu, and eventually Xatu, to have a good Flying and Psychic type, but I was also thinking of keeping Slowpoke, and dropping Furret for Skarmory.

Keep Slowpoke. When evolved and at the E4, and if given the right moveset, it can take down basically to entire E4.

EDIT: Just beat Green and got Rock Climb, but unfortunately, Furret cannot learn Rock Climb. D: So, when my DS is charged up again, I'm going to find myself a Bidoof so I can get an awesome HM Slave. Then I'll check out all of the Rock Climb areas, and then I'm going to grind for Red.

I'll probably just keep grinding at the E4, unless someone else has a better idea of areas to grind.

Last edited:
I want a flying type, in any case, but I'd like a psychic, too, to which I thought Xatu would be nice. But, would having a Steel/Flying and a Water/Psychic be better than a Psychic/Flying and a Normal that knows Surf? Also, I was looking at Xatu's moveset, and it's not really that spectacular.

Also, question: Where do you get a King's Rock? It wasn't in Slowpoke Well.

Xatu's level-up moveset is absolutely terrible ingame, but with a little patience and the right TMs it can be pretty good.

King's rock is in Slowpoke Well. Use strength to access the area behind where Proton was, head downstairs and surf until you find the guy walking around. He gives it to you.

^Oh? What kind of moveset for Slowpoke and what level? I may just go get one if that's the case.

I had a Slowbro with Avalanche, Confusion, Zen Headbutt, and Surf. She was about Lv. 40-42, somewhere in that level range. You could replace Confusion with Shadow Ball, I suppose, and that would help with Will, but otherwise that moveset works fine. Koga is difficult with his constant Double Teaming, but hit his Pokemon with a few good Zen Headbutts and they fall fast. Zen Headbutt works wonders on Bruno, as well, plus Surf for the Onix that Bruno has. Zen Headbutt is good for Karen's Vileplume and Gengar, and the others can probably fall to one or two Surfs, though Umbreon may require a bit more. Then Lance's Aerodactyl and Charizard fall fast to Surf, and his Dragonite all fall to a couple Avalanches. Plus, if you get the Quick Claw from the lady in the National Park and give it to Slowbro, it can be quite a formiddable force, especially with good defenses and great HP.

I'm getting ready to challenge Pryce, here's my current team:

Jaws Croconaw M

Delphi Vulpix F

Kenya Fearow F

Volutia Flaaffy F

Breccia Graveler F

Negatic Togetic M

Planning on actually finishing the mission I was assigned with Kenya (a.k.a. delivering some lazy fuck's mail) and replacing her with:

Gira Gyarados-f F (shiny!)

Who I caught at the infamous Lake of Rage.

One note: I like how the game designers got a bit creative with the whole "Pokemon follows you around" thing. For instance, Breccia and Delphi make unhappy faces when they're out while it's raining or they're standing on the beach shore where water splashes up on them. Jaws, however, loves it.

Other note:

*traveling to Lake of Rage*
Random Battle!
Me: *watches TV for a while*
Me: *looks down*
ENTEI
Me: HOLY CRAP! O0O

Now before you hear my story, bear in mind that I stayed completely clear of any of Serebii's spoilers prior to what just transpired

So I hear that the Cerulean Cave made a comeback. Thinking that it could provide some nice level grinding, i head in, and found that the pokemon in there were not only of varying level ranges, but there were also high level Wobbuffets. Everywhere.

So I'm thinking to myself "I should probably get a high-level one for Latias and Entei." Given the current time for me, and the fact that it's in a cave, I run to the nearest poke mart and obtain some Dusk Balls.

With that in mind, I'm going through the Cave, and all of a sudden I hit one of the large bodies of water in the Cave. Deciding that it would be for the best to explore the cave in its entirety (this was on account of my idea that the wild pokemon grew in level the deeper in you were; pretty sure that's wrong) I come across a platform, land on it, and who do I find there?

Mewtwo.

In HeartGold.

I thought to myself "this is probably some sort of storyline addition that was made; chances are I'll be able to catch him after beating Red." So I walk over, stupidly thinking that I'll be able to progress further in the story, when he makes his cry.

Then the Battle Music starts.

Suddenly I'm up against a LV 70 Mewtwo, and the strongest member on my team is a LV 57 Feraligatr. And at that current moment, I wasn't even leading off with him. I was leading off with Raikou, who thankfully had Pressure and a Dark-Type attack, which I used to prematurely end Mewtwo's Psycho Cuts and weaken him, respectively. Unfortunately, this ended up bringing Raikou down, so I send out Jirachi, and proceed to throw every Dusk Ball I have at Mewtwo.

Or rather, 7 of the 25 that I had. Once I threw the 7th Dusk Ball, I had caught Mewtwo.

So, long story short, I acquired my second legendary Uber, and a LV 47 Wobbuffet as I was leaving.

That's pretty intense, Exo. I had entirely forgotten about Cerulean Cave making a comeback. I guess I'll head there and grind for a while; maybe that's better than the E4.

(Unless anyone else knows of a better grinding spot, I'm still looking for one)

Back
Top Bottom