• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

HG/SS Game Corner

Dude, the Slot Machines were in the Japanese version.

The only reason why they were removed from the American versions(as opposed to just the European versions like with Platinum) is probably because of the recent merge of the US and European branches of the Pokemon company into Pokemon International(or something like that). Simply put, they'll remove every future Game Corner because of a few bitchy parents. :/

WTF?!?!? That's crazy! Stupid A** people, I loved the slot's and the craps (not sure if that's the name but they're in the R/S/E games), even if they completely drained me of my coins. They could just implement where if you have parental controls on the DS that you have to enter the password for playing the slot's and such.

I'm not saying though that voltorb flip sucks, it's awesome! You don't lose coins, you get paid them. But still, the game corner inside looks awfully bland without the other games. Oh well. :unsure:

I do like it, but it's really annoying that I can't just buy the coins. I need that Ice Beam TM, it costs 10,000 coins. I'm at about 5,000 and it takes sooooo looooong. And I'm not very good at it, I can't beat Lv 6. But I do like that I can't blow all my coins (I'M LOOKING AT YOU, GENERATION I AND YOUR STUPID PORYGON.)

I miss the slots, but who knows. Maybe Voltorb Flip will be improved in future games should they choose to include it again.

WTF?!?!? That's crazy! Stupid A** people, I loved the slot's and the craps (not sure if that's the name but they're in the R/S/E games), even if they completely drained me of my coins. They could just implement where if you have parental controls on the DS that you have to enter the password for playing the slot's and such.

I'm not saying though that voltorb flip sucks, it's awesome! You don't lose coins, you get paid them. But still, the game corner inside looks awfully bland without the other games. Oh well. :unsure:

oh, yes, roulette! with a bit of good timing, you only need to lose about once every time they clear the board, and then win x16s the rest of the time.

But that's a ridiculously low standard!

Uh... then what do you want? If Voltorb Flip's better than the slots, then everybody wins.

I just got SoulSilver today so I haven't got that far, but if it's similar to Minesweeper I'm sure I'll prefer it.

Voltorb Flip is the most retarded thing. Which wouldn't be so bad if the only possible way to get coins wasn't blindly guessing where the numbers are until you've filled in enough of the board to safely guess where the Voltorbs are. And in such cases they're always under the first card I choose.

It's not too bad if you happen to get a good board (like, a column with three Voltorbs and two rows with none), but those a frustratingly rare. Basically, if you happen to lack any form of skill/luck it fucks you over every time. And I lack any form of skill/luck.

And to top that off it still manages to be addictive >_<

I'd rather this than the Corner; it involves actual skill.

Yes, it involves more skill than the Game Corner, but there is still waaaaay too much luck involved for a skill-based game. I can't tell you how many times it has screwed me over, even when I developed a proper strategy because of this luck element.

And not being to buy coins or play a different game to get them really makes me mad.

Voltorb Flip doesn't really rely that much on luck. It's a lot better than the card flip game in GSC was.

Well, there's not much luck involved before level 4 or so, anyway. Tallying off works a lot better than guessing.

I believe that it's more similar to sudoku, but with more of an emphasis on luck even if you figure out the strategy. That's what really gets to me: even if you figure it all out, it's still down to luck if that one out of 4 tiles near the end is a voltorb. at least with the the slots, if you didn't win anything. you could just set up again at the same level of luck, and all it took was a few coins, which would eventually cancel out when you won something. I almost always made a profit on the slots, and it was a lot more exciting when I hit the jackpot. But with voltorb flip, I'm always thinking, "If I don't win this, I might have to start all over" which makes it less fun overall for me.
I have made my argument.

TL;DR: I find it more exciting overall to play the slots.

I hated it until I got the strategy behind it, then it became really addictive. Sure, sometimes on later levels you have to guess, but if you've counted things right you should at least have an idea of where the safest place to click is. I like it because I never had good luck with the slots.

Couple hints: Use the memos. Any row where the total of numbers and Voltorbs add up to 5 (like 4-1, 3-2, or whatever) are worthless and should be marked so you don't accidentally flip them, and flip rows with no Voltorbs immediately. From there, it's just counting (Like say you flipped over a 3 in a row with 6-1. Since there are 3 1's and one Voltorb left, the row is spent and the rest of it can be marked) It sounds complicated, but play enough and you get the hang of what to look for.

I never played the slots. I always bought my coins, but I can't even do that anymore.

Also, Voltorb Flip is rather luck based. I use the memos and I mark shut off and I still end up marking spaces that aren't Voltorbs or getting a Voltorb. If this game were just Minesweeper, I'd be happier.

Echoing the fuck Europe statement. :3 (you guys are cool on other stuff, just not handling Pokemon games)

Last edited:
I'm not sure if it's addiction or the fact that I'm bored but don't want to progress in the game so my brother can train for our next battle but I can't stop playing the voltorb game. I've only managed to get to level 5 but I have a fair amount of coins from it. The choice of prizes could be a bit larger though.

Got a Dratini through it :D Only got to level 4 though, but repeating them over and over is great money. Much faster then Slots, but not as fast as just buying the money >o

Bullshit it doesn't.
It doesn't.

-Add up the number of points and Voltorbs in a row.
-Ignore the ones that add up to 5.
-Count the probability of a square containing 2 or 3.
-Do NOT flip the 1s. they're useless.
-Win. Advance to next level. Repeat.

Back
Top Bottom