• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

HG/SS Game Corner

It doesn't.

-Add up the number of points and Voltorbs in a row.
-Ignore the ones that add up to 5.
-Count the probability of a square containing 2 or 3.
-Do NOT flip the 1s. they're useless.
-Win. Advance to next level. Repeat.

Yeah, I've been doing that. Half the time in the later levels it doesn't work at all, because you still have to guess.

Initially it may not revolve around luck, but it certainly brings it into play later on...which is why it is a pain in the ass to get coins in this game. :/

There is no reason to bust your ass trying to get to the really high levels unless you are a masochist/obsessed/just feel like it for the hell of it. Get to level 5, stop, get back to level 5, stop, get back to level 5, profit. The end.

around eight is when it starts being extremely luck-based. on the other hand, it's also when you get in excess of five hundred coins per round.

No one's saying it doesn't involve luck; it's just not as horrible as most of you are making it out to be as long as you do it right.

At first I absolutely loathed Voltorb Flip, because I had no idea how to play those types of games. I played it for a bit, and it clicked (sort of.)The game's pretty fun. It could use some polishing and an easier to understand tutorial. (I really wonder how well the younger fans will learn to play. I wouldn't be able to figure out how to play when I was seven.) I still haven't gotten enough coins for Ice Beam. I really miss being able to buy coins. And the setting of the Game Corner is weird. Overall, I like Voltorb Flip over the Game Slots, though I vaguely miss the Staryu and Chansey that would make or break the Jackpot. (I know Chansey would always make you win, but I don't feel like rephrasing that.)

Oh, I know how to do it right, but it's still quite annoying to me.

And I said that because Grimdour The Desecrater was saying that it doesn't involve luck.

eh, I suppose some people just are better at it/luckier with it/like it more than others. I'd rather have a wider selection, though.

and everyone would prefer being able to actually buy coins.

I hate it. :/ I liked the slots a lot more even though they ate all of my coins. It took me an hour and a half to get an Ekans out of this thing.

To be honest, I kind of like how they're making you play the mini-game at the game corner instead of saying "hi we have a mini game you could play to win coins or you can just buy them". Really, once you get used to it, the Voltorb Flip is pretty fun. I've gotten up to the highest level - 7 - before, and at that point you can get thousands of coins in one game. There's a pretty low-risk strategy for the game, really.

-Flip over any row/column with 0 Voltorbs
-Calculate the remaining columns and rows and ignore the ones that add up to five (i.e, 2 points 3 voltorb, 1 point 4 voltorb)
-Figure out if any of the flipped cards in the 0 Voltorb rows can help out with the other rows (i.e, flipping over a 2 in a 3/3 row. The remaining points and Voltorb add up to 4, as does the remaining unflipped cards, so that row can be eliminated)

Those guidelines make the first few levels much easier.

Is the Voltorb Flip luck based? Yes. But it actually requires you to use your brain, unlike the slots did. Voltorb Flip isn't entirely luck based anyways, plus a lot of you people seem to be making a big deal out of nothing. Unless you desperately want a Porygon / Mr. Mime / Ekans / Sandshrew / Dratini and can't GTS trade or trade with any other game, you don't have to use the Game Corner at all.

-Flip over any row/column with 0 Voltorbs
-Calculate the remaining columns and rows and ignore the ones that add up to five (i.e, 2 points 3 voltorb, 1 point 4 voltorb)
-Figure out if any of the flipped cards in the 0 Voltorb rows can help out with the other rows (i.e, flipping over a 2 in a 3/3 row. The remaining points and Voltorb add up to 4, as does the remaining unflipped cards, so that row can be eliminated)

This. (Well, except the game is significantly easier if you actually mark every row/column that adds up to five with Voltorb and 1 memos. I mean, all it does is make it easier to tell which ones could potentially have 2 or 3 under them, 'cause the ones with 2 or 3 will be the ones not marked with such memos.)

Also, if you're stuck for what to do, try flipping over the card that is shared by two high-point-value rows. It's likely to be a 2 or a 3.

This. (Well, except the game is significantly easier if you actually mark every row/column that adds up to five with Voltorb and 1 memos. I mean, all it does is make it easier to tell which ones could potentially have 2 or 3 under them, 'cause the ones with 2 or 3 will be the ones not marked with such memos.)
That's also what I usually do.

I don't see why they couldn't have made this game completely skill based, at least for the first few levels. If there was a surefire way to win a level, even if it took ages to solve, then I would like this game. Unfortunately there isn't, so my terrible luck in Pokemon games spreads to the game corner now.

It also seems that in recent Pokemon games TMs are far too expensive, and for no apparent reason. Why do Game Freak (or whoever it is) think that Ice Beam should cost 36 times what Blizzard costs (in D/P) or in HG/SS take hours to obtain? Which should cost more: a move for a Pokemon or the Pokemon itself? It's the same with the Battle Frontier in my opinion - everything is overpriced.

Having said that, I'm very glad that the TMs that you obtain from HG/SS are the same ones you get in Platinum (I think) so I can just buy coins from there instead. The game isn't awful either, just a little slow. When I ask myself if this game is really a bad idea, I have to say no because it's a step in the right direction.

I got to, like, level six yesterday. Flipped over one card and it was a Voltorb and I was sent right back to level one. What the fuck.

I quite like Voltorb flip. There's no chance to lose coins, which is great. Though I do feel that Nintendo was a bit stupid, removing the slot machines. They were the staple games of the game corner.

Back
Top Bottom