• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Extraterrestrial Life

Anyone religious (except maybe buhdists) already knows of extraterrestrial life:

God.

Think about it, where did he/she come from?

The Wright Brothers: We're going to make a machine that flies! :D

And then Altmer says:

And then were still stuck in the dark ages. :(

1. flying machine != trying to make a noble gas react
2. nineteenth century == dark ages? learn your history >:(

1. flying machine != trying to make a noble gas react
2. nineteenth century == dark ages? learn your history >:(

I know the nineteenth century was not in the dark ages, what I was saying was that if we all thought like that we would still be in the dark ages.

Of course now a flying machine sounds like common sense, but it didn't in the nineteenth century. You cannot say that just because "I don't think it will happen" that it won't. And that is the flaw in your thinking.

What I was trying to do was show how Altmer thought that Extraterrestrial life didn't exist because he thought it was too improbable, and this is stupid because of the numbers we are talking about on a scale of the universe. If it happened once, there is virtually a 100% chance it will happen more than once, and there is a 100% that it can happen more than once.

Anyone religious (except maybe buhdists) already knows of extraterrestrial life:

God.

Don't even try to start that debate.

Last edited:
You are severely undersimplifying here. Nobody thought human flight was possible for because it sounded ridiculous and nobody knew how to do it. Altmer pointed out a well-known scientific fact that would be a significant impediment to this concept.

You are severely undersimplifying here. Nobody thought human flight was possible for because it sounded ridiculous and nobody knew how to do it. Altmer pointed out a well-known scientific fact that would be a significant impediment to this concept.

Lets just forget about the Helium based life thing, because nobody is saying that there is such a thing, and it really doesn't have anything to do with the topic.

And there isn't a scientific fact preventing life from occurring outside Earth, so his point is null.

Start what debate? I'm just saying.

Super ignoring powers, activate!

Last edited:
And there isn't a scientific fact preventing life from occurring outside Earth, so his point is null.

what

he wasn't MAKING a point

this is a very good question, and I'd love if someone could answer it for me. Apparently god is allowed to "just exist" but nothing else is?

God.

erm wtf, I'm no bible scholar but I am pretty sure that the creation story rules out this theory, and also the fact that it constantly mentions him as "god of the whole universe"

what
he wasn't MAKING a point

*goes back and reads Altmers post again*

Oops, I guess you're right. I read Iibui's post and got confused and thought that Altmer was making a point related to the debate.

*facepalm* I'm not sure what we're talking about here anymore.

Yes, but god makes the whole universe, including earth, and therefore god cannot come from earth. Therefore god is extraterrestrial in origin, and as god is alive, God would constitute extraterrestrial life.

a) well, Vlad, you see the thing is you could prove that god exists, if he came down from heaven and was all "HAY GUYS WASSUP". of course he hasn't done that yet, maybe because figments of people's imagination don't go "HAY WASSUP".

b) uh. Time Psyduck, no. Did you read my post? I've been to church enough to know that in the Bible it says he's "God of the whole universe". Kind of rules out your (ridiculous) theory.

b) uh. Time Psyduck, no. Did you read my post? I've been to church enough to know that in the Bible it says he's "God of the whole universe". Kind of rules out your (ridiculous) theory.

He didn't come from earth, therefore he's extraterrestrial in origin.

Also to my mind saying 'God does not exist' without supporting evidence is tha same as saying 'God exists' without any supporting evidence.

I'll wait until Iibui gets here for the atheism explanation, he usually says similar stuff as I would say, except far more coherent. Basically, it kind of comes out to this: no one has ever seen god, touched god, heard god (except some people have convinced themselves they have). No one has ever seen Bigfoot, touched Bigfoot, or heard Bigfoot (except some people have convinced themselves they have). It is reasonable to believe that neither exists.

And, "God" couldn't have come from another planet, because doesn't it say in Genesis that before he made stuff there was no day or night or anything?

Yes it does, but who says extraterrestial life has to have come from another planet?

(No seriously show me and I'll concede that God does not fit the defintion.)

I will accept the argument that 'as there is no proof of God, it is reasonable to assume there is no God', but 'there is no God' is just an unfounded assertion. There's a difference.

Erm, well, yeah, I suppose there could be a god, but it's extremely unlikely, and it's just like how someone might say to you "hey man, there are fairies in my backyard," and you might say back "that's stupid, fairies don't exist". well, I suppose fairies could exist, but it's extremely unlikely. To me, there's about an equal chance of god existing as fairies existing.

Actually, I half-take-that-back. I don't remember the entire argument, but because of the all-powerful/all-knowing/all-good thing, the Christian god exactly as documented in the Bible cannot really exist without there being a time paradox.

No, you can say, 'unless you prove god exists I will assume god does not exist,' but if you just state the non-existance of god as a fact you are doing what you acuse religious people of doing but in reverse

Back
Top Bottom