• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Fashion sense

I do this every day.

This too.

I have no sense of fashion or coordination - I just wear whatever the hell I want. This usually surmounts to something along the lines of a T-shirt, a (n open) shirt over the top of that, jeans/shorts, odd socks (always odd socks) and shoes of some kind, usually converses. I also wear hats a lot, and I always wear a knitted scarf when I go out, even if it's not cold, because I love it so much~! I don't know where I'd fit in the, erm, stereotypes, if anywhere.

The main thing is, if I'm wearing less than three different colours, I feel uncomfortable and not... right. So I generally dress as colourfully as possible.

Something one of my friends said the other day: "You just put on whatever you like and yet you always look nice." so I guess that's a good thing!

All fashion is bullshit imho... mainstream fashion, preppy fashion, conceptual fashion, goth fashion, alternative fashion, indie fashion, anti-fashion fashion, nerd fashion (if there is such a thing) and etc. If you are truly free then you will wear whatever is the cheapest/comfortable/most convenient.
row row fight da powah

just because you're not interested in clothes, doesn't mean others are as well. I don't really see the point of spending hundreds of pounds on a 'look', but then many other people would question why I spend significant amounts of money (though admittedly a fraction of the money that fashionistas spend on clothing) on importing old, rare video games from the US.

also even if you don't care about your personal appearance (even I would somewhat frown upon wearing band shirts/gym kit all the time, especially in a social context), everyone else will. when you apply for a job interview, or try to get into clubs, or meet new people, people will judge you based on what clothes you wear. that isn't to say that you need to splash out on £100 Gucci suits or whatever, but at least take into consideration what other people might think.

edit: oh and what does everyone here have against belts? I very rarely see people wearing jeans/smart trousers without one. O_o

All fashion is bullshit imho... mainstream fashion, preppy fashion, conceptual fashion, goth fashion, alternative fashion, indie fashion, anti-fashion fashion, nerd fashion (if there is such a thing) and etc. If you are truly free then you will wear whatever is the cheapest/comfortable/most convenient. And if you aren't strange in some way, then this means just a t-shirt and jeans when it's cold, shorts when it's warm.

Cheapest/comfortable/most convenient? What about something you actually like? Goths, preps etc. all dress the way they do because they like that look. Granted there are people that follow fashions just because they want to look like everybody else, but... you'll find that those people are actually quite rare. :/ I don't always like the look of t-shirt and jeans. I wear what I like to represent me.

I wear jeans and hoodies a lot of the time, but occasionally I'll use my WILD CARD clothes and wear something awesome. Like my bright tartan skinnies, various other skinnies (you can tell I like skinnies), corset etc. I used to be one of those "clothes you actually like are for posers and losers! >(" as well and then I realised that you can actually have quite a lot of fun with clothes. (:

Cheapest/comfortable/most convenient? What about something you actually like? Goths, preps etc. all dress the way they do because they like that look. Granted there are people that follow fashions just because they want to look like everybody else, but... you'll find that those people are actually quite rare. :/ I don't always like the look of t-shirt and jeans. I wear what I like to represent me.
Yeah uh I understand where you're coming from but I feel like wearing certain clothes in order to "represent you" is really superficial and materialistic and I think kind of stems from hidden insecurities. For example, paying for a shirt of, say, the band Green Day is kind of like sending a message to people around you like "oh, hey, I like punk rock music, I was cool enough to go to a rock show, also the red on black makes me look kind of edgy, do you think I'm edgy?" which I guess might represent you in the sense that you in theory like Green Day and in theory you're kind of edgy so you might want people to be aware of that. Whether these are true statements about you or not is irrelevant, but if they are true about you, can't you just like Green Day and be edgy on your own? Why do you need to advertise this fact? And if they aren't true, why are you pretending to be someone you aren't?

Do you see what I'm trying to say? If I see someone trying to be fashionable, I'm not going to hold it against them or anything, or say "you are a bad person", but if I see someone going the opposite way and not caring I will definitely gain respect for them. I guess it's just a personal thing about me that I don't really feel the need to selectively send messages about myself with what I wear, I just try to be myself and just show that in my everyday actions. You are not a "goth" or a "prep", you are you. Do you know what I mean?

But I still definitely think society would be better off if no one cared about their personal appearance. Obviously something like wearing a Green Day shirt to school is very harmless, but when you get into things like people spending absurd amounts of money on designer jeans, or buying like fifty pairs of shoes for different special occasions, or spending hours picking out the right wardrobe for the party, I just think that's really unhealthy and it would be better if everyone could be themselves. And suits should just not even exist at all. It's definitely unfortunate how billions of people all over the world voluntarily make themselves unnecessarily uncomfortable every day in order to fulfill some bizarre social contract, one which desperately needs to be shed.

also even if you don't care about your personal appearance (even I would somewhat frown upon wearing band shirts/gym kit all the time, especially in a social context), everyone else will. when you apply for a job interview, or try to get into clubs, or meet new people, people will judge you based on what clothes you wear. that isn't to say that you need to splash out on £100 Gucci suits or whatever, but at least take into consideration what other people might think.
I don't understand what you are trying to say? Maybe it's different in England but wearing jeans and a t shirt around is kind of the norm here. I really don't see who among my peers would judge me, unless I was trying to hang out with a group of people who wouldn't hang out with me if I wasn't wearing Abercrombie/Hollister, whom of course, I would definitely not want to hang out with in the first place. In my own experience, people are much more likely to judge people for "trying too hard" to be fashionable than they are for someone who is just wearing normal clothes. And if someone is going to judge me, then why shouldn't they? They would look at me and say "this guy does not care a whole lot about his wardrobe" and they would be completely right.

...I have no fashion sense at all, I just wear what I want. T-shirts(I especially like gaming/geek ones), open shirt over that if it's cold, and black or blue jeans. Some random socks, usually black, white or striped, and... whatever shoes I have at the moment. (Shoes are the part I care least for, actually.) Oh, and most of my clothes are black and blue. And I love stripes.

Last edited:
And scarves~ My god, I love scarves.
...Scarves are insanely awesome, and I agree with you so much. (I'm wearing a scarf right now)

My fashion sense is rather off and erratic, according to the people who know me. I don't like wearing t-shirts or jeans or anything like that. My shirts never have words on them or pictures, they're just plain or plaid or have generic patterns on them like floral themes. Mostly, I wear lots of tanktops nowadays (I don't like showing my navel though, I dress conservatively), with some sort of plaid... long shirt over it. If not that, then I wear a scarf and tanktop. Skirts are also common (no mini! I tend to wear these huge ass dresslike frilly skirts that reach down to my ankles), as are my favourite "fancy" shirts. Often, I also wear black or white pants. I have a few casual small dresses that I wear too, but not enough. Shoes are always sandals because sandals are comfortable and I live in a beachy hot place, so yeah. Oh and apparently, I mismatch a lot too. But I don't really see what the big deal is since it's not like I'm wearing violent shades of red and green together or anything like that.

Trying to get more girly and less plaid outfits though; I'm kinda getting sick of all the plaid. Probably more tanktops and scarves and skirts and dresses in my future. I don't really care what the people who know me say about my clothes; I like it.

eh, usually shirt of some sort/jacket or vest/scarf if it's cold/jeans/belt/maybe hat/usually converse.

And suits should just not even exist at all. It's definitely unfortunate how billions of people all over the world voluntarily make themselves unnecessarily uncomfortable every day in order to fulfill some bizarre social contract, one which desperately needs to be shed.

This is a personal taste thing, but I think that people in general just look really attractive with suits. Especially with ties. Not even expensive suits, but just suits in general. It doesn't matter whether you're male or female; I'll probably find you way more attractive if you're wearing a suit. I'm pretty sure there's some sort of power dynamic thing/kink/insecurity behind this but whatever!

As for fashion I uh don't follow it. Any sort. Honestly, I don't know what's in fashion now. I mean, I can look at people around me and see "Well, recently people have started doing that so I guess it's popular now?" but it's a slow process and I'm way behind people who keep up with it and actually know. I just kind of throw clothes on (t-shirt + jeans + hat = my wardrobe when I go out). This doesn't mean I don't like looking good (I do, and I do do some sort of basic "hmm I don't look my best wearing this and this" thing when picking clothes), but most of the time I don't care and just put on whatever is comfortable.

I really like hats. I wish they were in fashion like they were eighty years ago when everybody wore hats, but they are not so yeah. I do enjoy scarves and thigh high socks, but most of the year it's way too hot to wear those where I live. I'm not fond of belts but I'm not against them either. Oh, and I despise all sorts of jewelry.

I like dresses but most dresses are too revealing for my tastes (my choice in dresses makes me seem like uber-conservative chick; I like plain, ankle-length dresses with long sleeves that cover as much skin as possible. I'd wear them with a bonnet if I could get away with it!) and I don't have any casual dresses so I don't wear any, ever.

If you are truly free then you will wear whatever is the cheapest/comfortable/most convenient.

Uh, no. If you're truly free, you will wear whatever you want to wear, and prioritize clothing according to what you want to wear. Some people do actually prioritize their appearance over price, comfort, and convenience, and not just because of social stigma or whatever.

I like to dress in a way that I find stylish - fingerless gloves, tall socks, clunky high-heel boots, loose ponytails, baggy sweaters that make me look 30 lbs heavier yet hide my tummy, et cetera. I care about my appearance quite a bit, and I'm actually starting to become rather vain. I love the way I dress. I prefer looks over comfort half the time but I have a strange definition of what looks good x3

Zeta shut up we're talking fashion here, if you don't like it stay out of the bloody topic

I wear gaming/geek stuff. I love wearing stuff that shows what kind of stuff I'm into or basically related to my interests.

I don't wear stuff because everyone else does or wants me to wear. As long as what I wear is in good condition, I'm fine. I don't care about fashion itself, I wear stuff I like, even if no one else does. I am proud of my various gaming shirts, I am proud of my Super Mario Bros. 3 and LoZ: Twilight Princess hats. I am proud of my Final Fantasy and Kingdom Hearts necklaces. I am proud of my L Death Note necklace.

If no one else is, I don't care. I'm not doing it for them! :3

Uh, no. If you're truly free, you will wear whatever you want to wear, and prioritize clothing according to what you want to wear.

Truth.

There is a middle ground between thinking your appearance is all and judging people for how they dress, and not giving a shit and buying only the cheapest of cheap.

Why not wear what you want to wear because you like it, because it makes you feel nice, you like how it looks, etc. and not because you fear being judged? Personally I think judging people on how they dressed is one of the lowest things you can do. But I certainly know how to dress myself, simply because I enjoy doing so.

You need a vest! As does everyone. Or possibly a light jacket. Go for greys.

I like wearing comfortable things, and comfort during the school year usually means "wear a jacket or something that you can stay warm in in the cafeteria where it is mysteriously around 40 degrees." I tend to like colorful t-shirts with designs I find pretty. In fact, today I'm wearing my undershirt-long underwear-shirt-thing with multicolored stars and butterflies on it under a yellow shirt with a cat on it. I'm also wearing a belt with bottle caps on it :3
The undershirt thing is nice and warm and I have like 4 t-shirts I wear it under.

I tried a vest on today for a costume for our school's musical, and I really liked it. I'm going to try and get some now!

Also, anything purple!

As someone from the UK, I find this discussion of vests very funny.

I love that a man can go walking around in America wearing pants, a vest and suspenders XD

Oho, vests+suspenders really don't work together at all! Pants and suspenders, or pants and vests, but all three are just weird.

Everyone should wear either vests or suspenders, though. Regardless of gender (or sex). It should be mandated by law.

Oho, vests+suspenders really don't work together at all! Pants and suspenders, or pants and vests, but all three are just weird.

Everyone should wear either vests or suspenders, though. Regardless of gender (or sex). It should be mandated by law.

[heavy]NO[/heavy]

I'd look like shit in either of those.

In terms of my fashion sense, earth tones and t-shirts and jeans and scarves and sweatshirts and jackets and converse or converse-esque shoes. Also trenchcoats when I get one, and I think top hats are the shit.

Back
Top Bottom