• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

TV Tropes Mafia [DAY 7]

Re: TV Tropes Mafia [DAY 2]

I must say. This is the only mafia game I've seen where mafia go out and say they are mafia. I can't help thinking they've got some extremely obscure win condition

Mawile: You know that there was the possibility that Vixie was accusing you to make it look like she was completely innocent so that your faction as a whole would have more of a chance of winning... right? (if, of course, you're telling the truth about both of you being Mafia)

Okay, so I'm inclined to believe Vixie. She pretty much never just waltzes into a discussion and goes "k this person is mafia" unless she's right or is just testing to see if I'll fuck up in #mafia again (which is rly annoying gurl y u do dis).
However, I am not inclined to lynch Mawile, because (and I'm gonna sound reeeeaaaally dumb for this) I targeted him on N0, and, well, he didn't die. Prooobably should have mentioned that before, but oh well, it's at least on the table now.

Vixie- We're on the same side. Are you trying to make us lose?

Yep. Vixie's mafia- as am I.

Well this smells of poopie.

Okay. So let's say Mawile probably is not alien; more likely he was healed by a doctor, either mafia-aligned or not. I'm just hoping that, anyhow. :| Either way, I'm changing my vote to abstain for now because alien loss sucks.

Either way, killing Vixie off at this point via lynching would be stupid since she has chosen to 'give up' Mawile - although if Mawile is activated alien that was a rather twisted move. If Vixie only knew Mawile was mafia, though, that means Vixie could be on our side; or if she knew he was alien but not activated, etc. Either way there are many components to this and killing her off now via lynching would be rash since apparently Mawile is mafia, unless he's lying, which is unlikely because wtf.

Well. I'm a bit stuck atm as to what we should do; lynching either Mawile or Vixie would both suck. I say Walker should vigilante-kill Mawile, a doctor should protect Walker, and. Not sure if another doctor should protect Vixie anymore.

... Well, if that's true, then that was a really dumb thing to say.

But Mawile was targeted and didn't die on the first night? ... Well previously I would have agreed with Vixie - when she roleclaims, she's almost always telling the truth - and lynched Mawile, but it's possible that Mawile is actually an activated alien and is trying to get lynched today.

I'm... not going to do such a stupid thing.

Never seen her do that; I usually only play in the IRC channel. This is one of the first forum Mafia I've played. :P

I think I might just be alien-paranoid, but I'm definitely not going to lynch Mawile. If she is actually just mafia like Vixie says, then she'll get hit during the night by Walker and it won't matter, ne? Huh. I wonder what order the night actions go through, though. :S It might not be a good idea.

Besides that, Walker's kind of a Mafia target now and we need some way to have him healed without healing overdose kicking in. :/

Last edited:

I'm not sure we should suspect Vixie (while she has been somewhat absent from the game so far, she's also said she's been busy, so idk) based just on what Mawile's saying; Mawile's mafia so we already know we can't trust them. How do we know that they're not just saying Vixie's mafia so we kill her off and lose a really helpful player? I mean it's kind of unhelpful that Vixie hasn't responded yet, and if she doesn't I guess she probably is mafia.

I don't know. I don't have much to add that's helpful aside from this; for now I'm abstaining.

Hrngh I don't know what to say. I think Mawile's mafia and is just saying that to kill Vxie, but her refusal to list tropes is suspicious. I'm not sure yet.

I'm not sure we should suspect Vixie (while she has been somewhat absent from the game so far, she's also said she's been busy, so idk) based just on what Mawile's saying; Mawile's mafia so we already know we can't trust them. How do we know that they're not just saying Vixie's mafia so we kill her off and lose a really helpful player? I mean it's kind of unhelpful that Vixie hasn't responded yet, and if she doesn't I guess she probably is mafia.

I don't know. I don't have much to add that's helpful aside from this; for now I'm abstaining.

What I am gathering here is that on paper, it appears to be a faux alien claim; but since Mawile has already been revealed as mafia, and they know their goose is cooked, and they aren't alien, the best shot they have is to attempt to take me down with them so a valuable inspector is lost.

EDIT: holy fuck these 500 errors; I can't even get to page 6 which I guess doubled my post, so in case you can't either, my trope is Captain Obvious.

Last edited by a moderator:

Some weird forum error was making Vixie's edit to her post only show up on the "Reply to thread" page, so I edited her edit into her post again. Don't be confused by it.

So many people have roleclaimed! That makes things very interesting.

Anyway, the major question here is are Vixie and Mawile telling the truth or lying? Mawile could be an alien, of course. Why would a mafioso roleclaim? Someone else has mentioned taking Vixie down or something.

I think I'll wait for further posts from them.

... What.

This post is so ridiculous I don't even know what to make of it.

One, if why in the world would any mafia knowingly give out the name of one of their comrades? Even if all but one of the mafia members die, as long as the only one left alive at the end of the game is said mafia, then the mafia wins. Claiming that Vixie is mafia out in the open is just... what.

Two, as Kusari said, Mafia should be able to privately communicate with each other. So if Mawile wanted to complain, that it should've complained via PM instead of posting it to the world.

Mawile might be an activated alien, actually, since Vixie (assuming that she is the inspector) inspected her as mafia, and activated aliens show up as mafia. Since we still don't know the exact number of mafia factions yet, it's possible that Mawile was targeted by a second faction on the first night.

Although Vixie is sure the Mawile isn't an alien... Maybe they're lovers and doing some explicit plot to get us to lynch Mawile, who is an activated Alien, so they both could win?!

Or Mawile could be too dumb to live.

And then there's this:

However, I am not inclined to lynch Mawile, because (and I'm gonna sound reeeeaaaally dumb for this) I targeted him on N0, and, well, he didn't die. Prooobably should have mentioned that before, but oh well, it's at least on the table now.

That's... not a good sign. Mawile might be Bulletproof or got healed, or have some strange role nobody knows about. Can Aliens get activated by Vig-kills?

The optimal situation is for us to lynch someone else during the day and let Walker kill Mawile during the night; however, since we don't know what order the night actions go in, it's kind of risky since we still don't have a good system of healing Walker yet.
Everyone, we really need to think of a way to heal Walker without a healer clash. Bring your heads together! We can do this! We have a lot of geniuses on TCoD, so we should be able to come up with something!

On the assumption that there are two healers, we can have one healer role claim and heal Walker and have the other heal the healer healing Walker. This only works if we have two healers, so we can't use it here unless we know for sure we have exactly two healers. (Having only one healer will end in our only healer getting Mafia'd, while having more than two healers would mean healer clash for our role claim'd healer). I can't think of any other ideas at this moment...

Also, Vixie, mind answering my previous question? Why did you chose to investigate Mawile?

BUTTERCHURU I HAVE A QUESTION what happens if an activated alien has a lover and the activated alien wins? Since said alien kills everyone, would the lover lose as well?

I hate my time zone more than ever.

Okay. So Mawile is probably mafia or alien. Vixie is undetermined but extremely suspicious. The forum is in disarray. Got it.

Although Vixie is sure the Mawile isn't an alien... Maybe they're lovers and doing some explicit plot to get us to lynch Mawile, who is an activated Alien, so they both could win?!
I really don't like this idea. Not because it is bad - because I really don't want it to be true. D: The solution for that would be to lynch Vixie, but she could be an alien. She could have chosen Mawile to "inspect" as mafia, not knowing that she actually was mafia. And then the mafia would attack her and she would be activated and then we would be all GRARRG YOU ARE A LIAR and lynch her and she would win. :/

Though given that as far as I remember Mawile tends to roleclaim often, I don't see this claim as being too suspicious. Or is that what she wants us to think?

You targeted someone on the zeroth night, Walker? Mind explaining why? And (if we're going to be demanding it of Vixie) why Mawile?

I mean, I don't mind giving you a couple of nights to off Mawile (too many nights without Mawile dying = suspicion on you, sorry, even if the mafia might have a doctor or if Mawile has some sort of protection) for safety's sake but just... why?

(I mean, unless Mawile is an alien or someone's lying somewhere, that would likely mean the vigilante, inspector, and a healer all targeted Mawile within the first two nights. I haven't been paying much attention to the mafia past of everywhere, so I have to ask - is Mawile in any way special?)

Standard aliens in the standard mafia are activated by vigilantes, yes. There's the "never assume" thing, though.

Mawile could be faking the whutness of that last post, since at this point, someone is going to have it killed within the next few days and it's hoping to drive our thoughts in some direction, but still. I also don't know how many of its own the mafia can sacrifice; with 50 participants I wouldn't be surprised if there were 10-15 mafiosos across various factions (though that would be mean).

Everyone, we really need to think of a way to heal Walker without a healer clash. Bring your heads together! We can do this! We have a lot of geniuses on TCoD, so we should be able to come up with something!

On the assumption that there are two healers, we can have one healer role claim and heal Walker and have the other heal the healer healing Walker. This only works if we have two healers, so we can't use it here unless we know for sure we have exactly two healers. (Having only one healer will end in our only healer getting Mafia'd, while having more than two healers would mean healer clash for our role claim'd healer). I can't think of any other ideas at this moment...

Also, Vixie, mind answering my previous question? Why did you chose to investigate Mawile?

If there's only one healer and he/she roleclaims, then couldn't a protector protect the healer? I think Kratos roleclaimed as protector or something similar. We could just go and outright say "oh hey I'm medic" but there is the chance of lying.

Say there's only one medic and then a mafia member. The medic roleclaims, and then the mafia member could roleclaim as medic and then NOT heal Walker. Kind of dangerous. Even though it would quickly implicate Walker, it still is pretty risky.

BUTTERCHURU I HAVE A QUESTION what happens if an activated alien has a lover and the activated alien wins? Since said alien kills everyone, would the lover lose as well?
I make these kinds of subtle GM decisions based on what seems to me to make sense for the roles I'm using. For instance, if the "mafia" and two "doctors" target someone, I kill them because overdosing on lethal meds isn't going to be fine just because you happen to have also gotten shot. However, if the roles were named and described differently so that it would seem to make sense that one killing and one healing simply cancel each other out (for instance, if "healing" were portrayed as creating a barrier around the target that shatters when a bullet hits it but slows it down enough to neutralize it, whereas if someone spends a whole night behind two such barriers, they die of asphyxiation because of the semi-airtight nature of the barriers), killing plus two healings would be considered equivalent to one healing and thus harmless.

If an alien is described as simply getting pissed at humanity and deciding to kill everyone, it can be assumed that it will simply make an exception for the love of its life, so I would not have the lover die in that case. Meanwhile, if an alienesque role were for instance described as actually going into a blind, insane state of indiscriminately destroying everything, presumably the lover would die too.

Since there are secret roles, there are various ways an alienesque role might function. If you are a role, you can ask me how it functions in hypothetical situations, but otherwise you'll just have to guess the trope, work out how it would logically function and hope you arrive at the same conclusion I did.

Last edited:

Goddamnit Butterchuru stop obfuscating everything and makeing my head sad...

So yeah, if the last scenario is true, would the alien die via his/she/it's lover dying?

If there's only one healer and he/she roleclaims, then couldn't a protector protect the healer? I think Kratos roleclaimed as protector or something similar. We could just go and outright say "oh hey I'm medic" but there is the chance of lying.

I haven't roleclaimed anything. We were talking about how Dave (the guy who died today) roleclaimed protector and said that he protected me. For all we know he could have been the only such protection role in the game. Besides, I think that's more than enough claiming from the innocents on day freaking two--Walker and Vixie claimed to have had information, okay, but we really don't need to reveal anyone else who otherwise has nothing to contribute. It's already created a huge mess and now we're running around scrambling over who to protect; unless you know how the setup works beforehand, it's just plain stupid to show all your cards to the mafia this early.

I don't think there's any way to develop some sort of "Walker protection plan" without tipping too many hands, you guys. I'd like to keep him around too, really I would, but all this stressing out over it is getting us nowhere. I think it's wisest to make a plea to any other innocent killing roles we might have (or the othermafia, perhaps) to take care of Mawile just in case Walker doesn't survive the night. Healers and protectors, do what you can, but use your best judgment, please.

Back
Top Bottom