• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

3DS price to decrease - 20 free games for those who already own it

I've been following the PSV since they first announced the NGP and have been looking forward to it despite not ever owning a PSP.

However, my habit is not to be an early adopter of any console, so I will wait and see.

the 3DS is not doing that bad. People are exaggerating. It's sold ~4 million since launch, which is incredible for any product, just slightly less than Ninty expected. The original DS sold about the same in the first few months, and it was $100 cheaper at launch.

The DS's launch library was just as crappy as the 3DS's is. But it picked up steam and I have no doubt the 3DS will, too.

I personally think that Nintendo actually knows what the hell they're doing and are playing a little economic gamble with the 3DS. Outlined here.

I bought mine in April and have enjoyed it immensely so far. I am excited about 20 games for free.

The only thing I'm actually worried about is the ever growing wishlist of games I want... at $40 each...

EDIT: And I think that if there is a remodel it won't be for a looong time. The 3DS is already as slim as it can get pretty much, and there aren't even any major issues except perhaps battery life.

Last edited:
EDIT: And I think that if there is a remodel it won't be for a looong time. The 3DS is already as slim as it can get pretty much, and there aren't even any major issues except perhaps battery life.

Yeah, I wish people would give them a rest over the lite/DSi thing; the screens are adequately sized and the system is about the same size as a lite. I seriously doubt there will be a new iteration any time soon, especially given the pricetag. And it's not like Sony and Microsoft aren't "guilty" of this -- PS2 Slim? PS3 Slim? PSP 2000? PSP Go? Xbox 360 Arcade? Xbox 360 Elite? Xbox 360 S?

Incidentally, the power-saving function seems to be pretty effective. Last night I played OoT for at least two hours and I still had 3/4 bars of battery life...

Looks like the holidays will have a slew of coolsauce gamea. With that and with the price drop I think they'll sell like hotcakes through christmas.

Oh that's what you meant. We get the NES games starting september 1st and the gba games, "before the end of the year."

I was actually listening to a podcast last night and that's where I first heard about the possibility of this being a way for Nintendo to get the jump on Sony. Makes a lot of sense, the Vita will launch at $250, $300 for the 3G version.

Like I said earlier, I will give the 3DS a chance when there are more than two games I actually want for it. Hopefully it won't get too mired in the 3D gimmick, hopefully we'll see it's library evolve nicely like the original DS.

Like I said earlier, I will give the 3DS a chance when there are more than two games I actually want for it. Hopefully it won't get too mired in the 3D gimmick, hopefully we'll see it's library evolve nicely like the original DS.
Why do people insist on the 3D being just a gimmick? It's as much of a "gimmick" as the touch screen was, and the touch screen played a vital role in most good DS games. The 3D effects are unobtrusive and really add a layer of beauty in environments. I usually hate 3D and I'm still blown away at how well it works for OoT. I'm really looking forward to racing Maple Treeway in 3D, too.

It's as much of a "gimmick" as the touch screen was, and the touch screen played a vital role in most good DS games. The 3D effects are unobtrusive and really add a layer of beauty in environments. I usually hate 3D and I'm still blown away at how well it works for OoT. I'm really looking forward to racing Maple Treeway in 3D, too.
This, plus you don't need the 3D effect to play. For me, it's just a nice bonus to the games I would want either way.

If a remodel of the 3DS comes around in the next year or so I likely won't buy it. I'm totally happy with my 3DS as it is - it's not clunky and horrible like the original DS.

My only real complaint is with how easy it is to accidentally slide the 3D switch. That and maybe how DS games look like shit unless you play them in their native resolution (which ends up being really tiny on the 3DS' screens).

I never noticed the battery life being an issue, but that may be because I don't have the 3D on all the time. I also use power-saving mode and the second-lowest brightness setting. :I

Sucks that we're not getting the games until after school's in for me. Stupid high-security school wifi.

Careful, if you don't log onto the eshop at least once before august 12th, you won't qualify for the 20 games.

Oh, I logged onto it the other day as soon as I heard about this. I didn't get any notification or anything about the 20 games but I assume I'm good to go. :v

Why do people insist on the 3D being just a gimmick? It's as much of a "gimmick" as the touch screen was, and the touch screen played a vital role in most good DS games. The 3D effects are unobtrusive and really add a layer of beauty in environments. I usually hate 3D and I'm still blown away at how well it works for OoT. I'm really looking forward to racing Maple Treeway in 3D, too.

Maybe you haven't noticed this as someone who has owned a 3DS day one, probably didn't care for any of the buzz leading to the launch, but it is the only thing they push about the 3DS. Nevermind the fact that it has better system specs and a sharper screen than the DS, nor the fact that it has an analog stick, this thing does 3D without glasses and that's the only thing they ever say about it. The weak launch has not helped at all.

Really, what does the 3DS do that the DS didn't? This is why I'm waiting to see if anything I actually like comes out.

Worst Username Ever said:
This, plus you don't need the 3D effect to play. For me, it's just a nice bonus to the games I would want either way.
Right, I think a lot of people take issue to this because their expectations were not met. Nintendo marketed the 3D as being this major thing, but it's just a nice effect. After trying it out myself, I can conclude that Pilotwings looks really pretty and is really cool, but it's just a tech demo, not much you couldn't do in the first two games. Super Street Fighter IV, on the other hand, gained absolutely nothing from the 3D, however the analog nub made it actually playable, unlike, say, Street Fighter Alpha 3 on the GBA.

Really, what does the 3DS do that the DS didn't?

That's like saying, "What does the GCN do that the N64 didn't?"

And, depending on who makes the game, sometimes there are actual benefits from having 3D. Just as an example, the over-the-shoulder view in SSFIV would be stupidly hard without the 3D. And I imagine 3D platforming (like mario or lego star wars) would be a lot easier. You know how it's stupidly hard to see the depth and distances in lego games?

Also, even if it doesn't add anything to the gameplay, it doesn't mean it's worthless. It enhances the experience a great deal. I played OoT with the 3D off for a few minutes just to see what the difference would be and it looked downright ugly. I couldn't stand not seeing the depth. Try walking around for a day with an eyepatch and you'll see the difference.

Color doesn't do anything for gameplay either most of the time. 3D is the same.

I don't see how a game dev could even use 3D as a gimmick. With the Wii it would be fairly easy to do so (YOU CAN MAKE A SWINGY MOTION TO BREAK TEH PIANATA!!!!1), arguably also with the DS, but being able to play a game in 3D isn't a big deal.

They should have advertised the AR more-- that shit is fun.

That's like saying, "What does the GCN do that the N64 didn't?"

Of course it would be enhanced gameplay and lots of very awesome aspects, but personally I doubt it would be worth 180 bucks.

The only reason I would get a 3DS would be if the RSE remake was exclusive to it. PLEASE DON'T DO THIS GAMEFREAK.

/pokenerd

Of course it would be enhanced gameplay and lots of very awesome aspects, but personally I doubt it would be worth 180 bucks.

The only reason I would get a 3DS would be if the RSE remake was exclusive to it. PLEASE DON'T DO THIS GAMEFREAK.

You do realise that the DS has been around for almost a decade and they'd probably like to phase it out sometime next year... when the DS came out, they soon stopped making GameBoy games. I can't see how it'd be any different now, and it'd be seriously unfair to people who actually bought a 3DS to not get the majority of the titles.

You do realise that the DS has been around for almost a decade and they'd probably like to phase it out sometime next year... when the DS came out, they soon stopped making GameBoy games. I can't see how it'd be any different now, and it'd be seriously unfair to people who actually bought a 3DS to not get the majority of the titles.

...holy shit, the DS is that old?

I wouldn't be surprised if the DS keeps getting games for a while, since the 3DS is backwards-compatible and all.

Back
Top Bottom