• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Pet Peeves?

- People who are assholes and offensive on purpose. Thinking it's fun to post OOH SO OFFENSIVE, NON-POLITICALLY CORRECT AND EDGY STUFF just to laugh at offended people.
- The phrase "get off the internet"(if you can't handle so-and-so). So because someone gets offended/disliked ONE thing on the net(in many cases it's kind of justified too) they should have their internet privileges withdrawn? Similarly, "welcome to the internet"(as in "people can and have the right to be offensive and douchey all they want because IT'S THE INTERNET LOLZ, get used to it". Just because some internet users are douches (and sadly, it will always be like this) doesn't mean we have to like it.
- When someone argues that something someone else says/does is wrong(as in factually inaccurate) and telling them to "do the research", when it's in fact THEM that's wrong - which they could have avoided by actually doing research.
- Getting asked to do something when I was just about to do it, or clearly busy with something else..
- When people in my class HAVE to listen to music/watch movies/whatever without headphones, and refuse to do so even when asked politely (in some cases, their headphones are lying RIGHT THERE). Doesn't help that they like stuff I... really don't. (I COULD block it out with my own music, but often I just want it completely quiet with no music at all)
- When people don't flush. Ew.

- When people don't flush. Ew.

This is truly horrible. Especially at home.

I also remembered that I hate angle-walkers. I'm very OCD about walking in striaght lines, and when someone is angle-walking next to me, and pushing me off my line, I get... frustrated. A lot.

Also, when people are honestly confused about a touchy subject, word something wrong, and are promptly jumped on for saying something in an ignorant way. There's a difference between politely correcting someone and being a downright jerk about it.

This forum is infested with this.

I don't quite follow. Are you saying you hate it when people claim to be agnostic but are really atheist? Or are you saying that someone can be agnostic and atheist at the same time?

Either way, what I meant was I hate people that are like "lol I'm atheist religion sucks" and then I ask them why they don't believe there is a God, and they say, something like "I don't disbelieve it, I just have no reason to believe it."

Agnostic Atheism. It's even has a thing :P

Actually there are quite a few different forms of atheism; Ontological, Agnostic, Gnostic, negative/weak/implicit, positive/strong/explicit... lots. The most basic are strong/weak. I'm a strong atheist.

I hate when people make up shit online purely for getting attention. I'm not talking things like saying you weigh less than you do, or that you're more attractive than you really are. I'm talking serious things, like saying your suicidal when your really not, or lying saying your 16 and pregnant, or that you were raped, things like that when you really weren't only for attention.

It's an insult to people that really are dealing with those things, or have dealt with them. It pisses me off to NO END.

Thing is, I see right through them; usually because they fuck up somewhere and get caught up in their lie or say something that just doesn't make sense with what they're claiming. I take it as an insult to me because they believe that I'm stupid enough to accept what they're saying is true. It's rude, selfish, morally wrong, and ignorant. I hate it.

People who stop their car at yellow lights. YELLOW IS NOT RED, DAMNIT!

I also don't agree with the notion that stopping at yellow prevents accidents.

If we're talking about cars and lights, people who don't indicate, especially at roundabouts.

There once was a guy who didn't indicate, I ran the other half of the road I was crossing once I realised he was turning. He was SO ANGRY that I crossed the road he was turning into, that he slowed down enough that I would have time to see that he was smirking at me, but not enough that the puddle he was intentionally driving through wouldn't leave me soaked.

This forum is infested with this.
I'm torn here. The members of this forum have, in general, become a lot more sensitive to statements and ideas that could cause discomfort to others; -isms are not tolerated here, and I think that's something the forum should pride itself on. A lot of so-called "progressive" communities are still rife with sexism, ableism, homophobia, etc. and become defensive when one points it out. In that respect, TCoD is quite unique, and it's part of why I like it so much.

Conversely, though, I can't help but think that some people want to play that "offensive" card. A certain member wrote a long, heartfelt, and incredibly helpful response to one of my Coughing Cupboard threads. This person is anything but malicious, and his post really helped me, but apparently it still warranted an infraction from the moderators because he was allegedly being fat-phobic. I, too, was called out for my "fat-phobia" on #tcod. The funniest part is I'm fat — probably fatter than any of the people who accused me or this other person of fat-phobia! I'm 5'10" and weigh 275 pounds, which makes me really wonder about the intentions behind all of these newfounds attitudes about maintaing a "safe space." If a fat person is called out for being fat-phobic by a bunch of people who (presumably) aren't fat, then I really don't think I can be blamed for questioning their motives. Is maintaing a safe space really the goal here, or is it all about maintaing a holier-than-thou circlejerk among a group of established users?

edit: This post came off as needlessly asshole-ish and I'm sorry about that! If at all possible could anybody who responds to this please disregard my cattiness and focus on the main point? Thanks.

Last edited:
Dātura;586376 said:
I'm torn here. The members of this forum have, in general, become a lot more sensitive to statements and ideas that could cause discomfort to others; -isms are not tolerated here, and I think that's something the forum should pride itself on. A lot of so-called "progressive" communities are still rife with sexism, ableism, homophobia, etc. and become defensive when one points it out. In that respect, TCoD is quite unique, and it's part of why I like it so much.

Conversely, though, I can't help but think that some people want to play that "offensive" card. A certain member wrote a long, heartfelt, and incredibly heartfelt response to one of my Coughing Cupboard threads. This person is anything but malicious, and his post really helped me, but apparently it still warranted an infraction from the moderators because he was allegedly being fat-phobic. I, too, was called out for my "fat-phobia" on #tcod. The funniest part is I'm fat — probably fatter than any of the people who accused me or this other person of fat-phobia! I'm 5'10" and weigh 275 pounds, which makes me really wonder about the intentions behind all of these newfounds attitudes about maintaing a "safe space." If a fat person is called out for being fat-phobic by a bunch of people who (presumably) aren't fat, then I really don't think I can be blamed for questioning their motives. Is maintaing a safe space really the goal here, or is it all about maintaing a holier-than-thou circlejerk among a group of established users?

Why are you assuming none of those people are fat...? And yes, you can still be body-shaming if you are fat yourself.

Why are you assuming none of those people are fat...? And yes, you can still be body-shaming if you are fat yourself.
I'm not assuming. I've known most of them for a very long time.

In neither instance do I believe body-shaming was taking place. I would think that, being both a very fat and a very sensitive person, I'm in a pretty good position to gauge that.

When I'm walking straight, and someone still a good distance away is walking in the opposite direction, toward me, and I start walking a little to the left so we don't collide, but then they start shifting in the same direction too. I moved first, why do you have to take up my space? >.>

Also when my mother tries to sing a line or two from my songs when she knows nothing about the rest of the song or who sings it or anything like that. She kills the song for me.

And and and also when anyone, including my mother, is sitting or standing close enough to me to bump into me or make any type of physical contact. I hate physical contact, with the sole exception of that with my significant other.

Conversely, though, I can't help but think that some people want to play that "offensive" card. A certain member wrote a long, heartfelt, and incredibly helpful response to one of my Coughing Cupboard threads. This person is anything but malicious, and his post really helped me, but apparently it still warranted an infraction from the moderators because he was allegedly being fat-phobic. I, too, was called out for my "fat-phobia" on #tcod. The funniest part is I'm fat — probably fatter than any of the people who accused me or this other person of fat-phobia! I'm 5'10" and weigh 275 pounds, which makes me really wonder about the intentions behind all of these newfounds attitudes about maintaing a "safe space." If a fat person is called out for being fat-phobic by a bunch of people who (presumably) aren't fat, then I really don't think I can be blamed for questioning their motives. Is maintaing a safe space really the goal here, or is it all about maintaing a holier-than-thou circlejerk among a group of established users?

I totally agree. And that last question is a very good one. I hope it's a safe space, but on the other hand...

edit: This post came off as needlessly asshole-ish and I'm sorry about that! If at all possible could anybody who responds to this please disregard my cattiness and focus on the main point? Thanks.

If you're talking about the post I think you're talking about, the infraction is at least stated to be for refusing to remove the word "retarded" when requested, not for fatphobia?

It does bother me that occasionally people here stir up a shitstorm over things that are genuinely innocuous and have no deliberate offensiveness. I'm thrilled with people explaining to those who don't know why such and such might be offensive, but things like that New York gay marriage thread that turned into a flame war because somebody dared to suggest in a throwaway comment that T-shirts made for the occasion would talk about boyfriends in men's sizes and vice versa just really don't help the cause.

People getting angry over things that are clearly done with the best of intentions is something of a pet peeve for me - I hate it when people insist on being negative, really, in general. Doesn't mean you can't have opinions or dislike things, but you can try to empathize with other people and not immediately assume the worst. You don't have to hold grudges against people who've realized they were wrong and apologized. You don't have to get boiling mad at people who clearly just don't know any better. It saddens me when people get angry and stop thinking of other people as people.

Of course, my biggest pet peeve is when people don't understand that words are just labels for thoughts and start to argue about definitions when if they could just get that one contested word out of the way they'd find they actually agree on everything meaningful.

I guess the bottom line is that I really, really can't stand unnecessary arguments and fights. I just want everyone to get along and be happy.

Those competitive gamers who religously follow tier lists. I play characters based on how much I like them, not how they are stat-wise. Competitive gaming is so boring when SSF4:AE throws Ryu, Ken, EVIL Ryu, Akuma, Sagat, and Zangief users at me, when UMvsC3 users ALWAYS use Vergil/Wesker Sentinel (Or Phoenix) teams, and when Smash Bros players drop that "Fox Only! Final Destination! No Items!" bunk. Call me a scrub, but I think tiers are for queers. Honestly though, the short version is that I'm irked when everyone picks the same characters on competitive games.

Those competitive gamers who religously follow tier lists. I play characters based on how much I like them, not how they are stat-wise. Competitive gaming is so boring when SSF4:AE throws Ryu, Ken, EVIL Ryu, Akuma, Sagat, and Zangief users at me, when UMvsC3 users ALWAYS use Vergil/Wesker Sentinel (Or Phoenix) teams, and when Smash Bros players drop that "Fox Only! Final Destination! No Items!" bunk. Call me a scrub, but I think tiers are for queers. Honestly though, the short version is that I'm irked when everyone picks the same characters on competitive games.

I hate tiers but they exist for a reason. In Pokémon for example, it's very difficult to win OU with only NU Pokés. Usually a Pokémon is UU because there's another one that does the same thing, but better.

There's nothing stopping you from using Blaziken over Infernape if you think Blaziken is cooler, though. And I will use Braviary over Staraptor. Staraptor is a fat emo bird, while Braviary is the coolest Normal/Flying Pokémon ever.

Call me a scrub, but I think tiers are for queers.

HEY GUYS I REALLY HATE IT WHEN PEOPLE EQUATE 'being annoying in video games' WITH 'being attracted to the same gender'. LIKE THAT IS A SUPER BIG PET PEEVE OF MINE

Seriously, though, why would you ever say something like that, you bigoted jerk? Being gay does not make you suddenly enjoy something so gorram specific as tier lists. The only things that being 'queer' has made me like is men and their associated penises and rear ends. And don't come at me with 'i didn't mean it like that, i meant queer like weird not queer like gay' or something because I will froth at the mouth and probably kill you to death repeatedly.

EDIT: I also hate it when people ignore such bigotry and thus teach the bigot that their hate speech is accepted. That annoys me as well, for sure.

Last edited:
HEY GUYS I REALLY HATE IT WHEN PEOPLE EQUATE 'being annoying in video games' WITH 'being attracted to the same gender'. LIKE THAT IS A SUPER BIG PET PEEVE OF MINE

Seriously, though, why would you ever say something like that, you bigoted jerk?
Did we not just have several posts about not jumping on people who say things that you might find offensive but which were almost certainly not intended as such.

I think equating a post like the one you quoted with "hate speech" is overreacting a tad.

Seriously, though, why would you ever say something like that, you bigoted jerk? Being gay does not make you suddenly enjoy something so gorram specific as tier lists. The only things that being 'queer' has made me like is men and their associated penises and rear ends. And don't come at me with 'i didn't mean it like that, i meant queer like weird not queer like gay' or something because I will froth at the mouth and probably kill you to death repeatedly.

EDIT: I also hate it when people ignore such bigotry and thus teach the bigot that their hate speech is accepted. That annoys me as well, for sure.

No offense but independently of its meaning "tiers are for queers" is a catchy phrase. It rhymes.

No offense but independently of its meaning "tiers are for queers" is a catchy phrase. It rhymes.
Let's amp it up a little.

Tears+for+Fears++81.jpg

Tears for Fears are for queers!

I think equating a post like the one you quoted with "hate speech" is overreacting a tad.

Yeah, I'm aware. :I I suppose I should have phrased that differently.

It doesn't matter if he meant to be offensive; it may be better than actively trying to insult a person but using speech like that is just rude and it perpetuates the idea that it's okay to talk that way. Now, I'm aware that that isn't a problem at TCoD specifically, but I feel obligated both as a gay man and as a moral person to tell people who use such speech that it just isn't alright to talk like that. Insulting a demographic for the sake of a rhyme isn't something that I appreciate and I feel that it's my obligation to call people out when they talk like that.

Sorry for derailing the thread, by the way, but that really is a pet peeve of mine. :P

But it isn't independent of its meaning! The implication outright meaning of that phrase is 'being uptight about videogames makes you gay' and thus 'being gay is something that is bad'. Now, I could (quite easily!) make a rhyming phrase using, say, a term for black people and a comment about the size of their genitals, namely how they are 'bigger' than normal. Would this be a catchy phrase? Sure. Would it rhyme? Yes! Would it be rude, stereotypical, and altogether something I should not have said? Yes. Being clever (arguably) does not make a person's comment any less offensive or rude.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom