• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Pet Peeves?

When people don't put effort into things. I just don't understand why. Grammar is one example. My brother has the worst grammar you could possibly imagine and I correct him all the time so he must have some idea of what the correct way of speaking is, but he puts no effort into it at all. Also chatspeak, i.e. wot r u doin; complete lack of effort and it's disgusting. Lack of effort in any sort of art - drawing, singing, etc. infuriates me, because that is what it needs in order to be good - if it's just a doodle, fine, but I mean in your entire ability, not just one piece - put effort into your ability, into improving, into learning. Making every piece perfect isn't important, but knowing what's wrong is.

Also chewing with your mouth open. :[

When people don't put effort into things. I just don't understand why. Grammar is one example. My brother has the worst grammar you could possibly imagine and I correct him all the time so he must have some idea of what the correct way of speaking is, but he puts no effort into it at all. Also chatspeak, i.e. wot r u doin; complete lack of effort and it's disgusting. Lack of effort in any sort of art - drawing, singing, etc. infuriates me, because that is what it needs in order to be good - if it's just a doodle, fine, but I mean in your entire ability, not just one piece - put effort into your ability, into improving, into learning. Making every piece perfect isn't important, but knowing what's wrong is.
Frankly, I've always been bothered by people who put too much effort into things. Good enough is good enough, and the perfect is the enemy of the good. Why exert yourself when it's not actually necessary? If you enjoy doing so, sure, but effort for the sake of effort seems to me a waste of time and energy. I've never been able to understand the "always do your best" mentality. Do what you have to do in order to achieve your goals - no more, no less.

Frankly, I've always been bothered by people who put too much effort into things. Good enough is good enough, and the perfect is the enemy of the good. Why exert yourself when it's not actually necessary? If you enjoy doing so, sure, but effort for the sake of effort seems to me a waste of time and energy. I've never been able to understand the "always do your best" mentality. Do what you have to do in order to achieve your goals - no more, no less.

There's a balance between "must be perfect" and "lol who cares". As I said, "Making every piece perfect isn't important, but knowing what's wrong is."

There's a balance between "must be perfect" and "lol who cares". As I said, "Making every piece perfect isn't important, but knowing what's wrong is."
So why does your brother's incorrect grammar bother you, if he does "have some idea of what the correct way of speaking is"? He knows what's wrong. A lot of people who use chatspeak actually know how to spell words properly, they just choose not to do so.

Because he doesn't know what's wrong! And he doesn't attempt to fix it! He makes no effort whatsoever, despite my continued attempts at correcting him. :| He just doesn't care what's right even when no one understands what he's saying.

People who misunderstand things and don't care to be corrected.

It is, at least in my view, the single greatest cause of problems in the world. Think people who make the "my grandfather is not a monkey" argument against evolution no matter how many times they're corrected, people who make no attempts to correct the stereotypes in their mind, who make no effort to think of other nations, cultures, beliefs and behaviours as anything other than "weird, to be discouraged". If people were more open to trying to understand others, wars, crime, and hate would be significantly less. It wouldn't be "Filthy athiests" and "religious idiots", it'd be "those people who hold different, though no less valid, beliefs to me". It's much easier to hate shallow monsters that exist only in your mind than real people who's true self extends far beyond this one aspect. This isn't just religion-think of how Homophobia, Transphobia, Xenophobia and such would be eradicated if people took time to educate themselves instead of just hold onto their stupid belief that these things are sick and wrong.

Also, people who ignore parts of their religion. If your God said kill all those who aren't following my teachings, then you can't just pretend that part doesn't exist and use this God's teachings as a way to base your life on. All of it, or none of it.

Poor grammar out of pure laziness, egocentrics, people who aren't able to realise when they're boring you.

Pretty much people who are super closed-minded or constantly have to be right. (Also, the combination of the two is pretty bad.) Bonus points if that person is right about something, but doesn't care why they are, other than that they've 'won' the argument. The point of a debate should be to understand where the other person is coming from, not make everyone think the way you do. Or that's my view anyway; I try using debates as way to understand why I think a certain way, why other people think another way, and then see if my way still makes sense.

And intentionally being a jerk.

On the other hand, I don't mind bad grammar that much. I usually just skip the post if it's that hard to read. Besides the two things above and stupid little stuff below, there isn't much that bugs me.

Also stupid nitpicky things here: the writing at the end of a post after you edit it, bad color combinations, advertisements (both online and in real life), and nsfw stuff not being labeled or in places it shouldn't be.

Last edited:
I really hate it when people claim to know a lot about a subject I'm familiar with, and then proceed to show they know nothing about the subject at all.

This, a whole lot of this.

Basically it really rubs me the wrong way when people try to pass themselves off as professional or knowledgeable when they very obviously aren't (or attempt to respond/jump into a conversation they're not in, about something they don't know much about, attempting to sound knowledgeable on the subject)

Like, there's this guy I know who makes really petty complaints about older games (like, "The leaves in Oblivion are sooo terrible!" that game is from 2006 and leaves are like, the hardest things to render) and claims he notices these things not because he just bitches about everything, but because since he wants to be a video game designer he just "notices" these things. But he puts absolutely no effort at all into school, or anything for that matter, and makes no effort to learn more about video game design beyond playing JRPGs.

...Oh, so I guess put massive weaboos and people who put no effort into anything, and have contrary opinions just to be contrary with no regards to how stupid they sound to that list. And people who never bathe or wash their clothes. And people with an overblown sense of entitlement.

also I hate how I sound when I rant on the internet ;n; But I know so many people IRL like this now that I'm in college (and they're having an extremely asinine and loud argument right over my head right now) but I never knew very many people like this in high school, where you'd think those sorts of attitudes would flourish, and it just boggles my mind

People who tell me to do something after I've started doing it.

hnnng this is the worst

random little nitpicky things- I hate having to touch receipt paper and I hate when my fingernails get long, because I really don't like how it feels when they scrape on things. Like receipt paper. And having to sit next to people with squeaky mechanical pencils kills me

people who make no attempts to correct the stereotypes in their mind, who make no effort to think of other nations, cultures, beliefs and behaviours as anything other than "weird, to be discouraged". If people were more open to trying to understand others, wars, crime, and hate would be significantly less. It wouldn't be "Filthy athiests" and "religious idiots", it'd be "those people who hold different, though no less valid, beliefs to me".

^ I agree with that

I don't mind bad grammar or spelling (mainly cause the person I chat to most nights over google spells about a quarter of his words wrong)

Anyway, I get annoyed (about);

when I'm told to do a job, then given another job straight away, then asked why I haven't done the first job.

People who say 'I'm no good at that' when they haven't even (really) tried!!

Cats.

When there's something that I'm good at so everyone else in my family decides to get good at it too...

When people tell me I can't do things

When people make snide comments about girls (sorry, I hear it from my Mum all the time..... "oh, [insert brother's name], you do it! The girls obviously can't" etc. etc.)

When people make snide comments about me

When a drawing or something is going really well and I mess up the last line I have to draw... or, for that matter, when a piece of music is going really well and I mess up one note or one passage of music.

When I hear variants of a song and they suck.

When my younger siblings eat their weet-bix (yes that's spelt right) or cereal of some kind, and they splash milk all over their face when they take a mouthful, AND chew with their mouth open! Is it THAT hard to pick up a spoon of cereal, which is actually not overflowing, put it into your mouth, close your mouth, pull the spoon out, and chew with your mouth still closed?!!

Oh and on that matter people who chew with their mouthes open... ehhh...

Yeah, people who don't respect other peoples' beliefs. I mean, I consider myself nonreligious but I'm trying to make an effort to educate myself about all the other religions (especially reading the bible) so that I can at least understand.

Also people who refuse to listen to reason, or are completely unwilling to change their beliefs or provide a basis for them.

Chat speak and people that will be your friend in one place or time, but wont even spare you a glance elsewhere.

Also, people that try and change who you are because they 'know' they are right, and they're 'just trying to help'.

Other stuff that I forgot but may post later.

You know what else? People who think that new games are completely terrible and only old games are worth playing. They're just like "this game is okay but sucks because it's new".

"Yeah, I like pokemon! but only the first games they all suck now"

arrgh

"Yeah, I like pokemon! but only the first games they all suck now"

arrgh

But on the other hand "oh, you like the older games more? Must be nostalgia goggles"

'Nostalgia goggles', along with 'white knight', 'close-minded', 'offended doesn't mean anything' and various other tiny phrases like get me all riled up. They're an easy way to feel smugly superior for coming up with an excuse to ignore someone else's opinion, with little effort. Rarely do I find those phrases used in way that wasn't hand-waving someone else's opinion away.

EDIT: In addition, I've had many encounters with people presumably from 4chan or something who use "moralfag" in the same way. Which I don't understand in the slightest. So, you're only allowed to have an opinion if it's not moral?

Last edited:
hypocrisy
ignorance
hypocrisy about ignorance

(see: boyfriend's grandmother. "i hate ignorance. [...] listen to me poly you don't want to vote obama, he'll bring this country to ruin. he's pandering to the muslim states and if he's reelected he'll make everyone in the country muslim") (me, thinking: "... and you hate ignorance...")

y does everyone h8 chat speak
SUCH BUZZKILLS

hhhhhhhhhanyway
>people leaving doors open unnecessarily
>people leaving shit like tvs on unnecessarily
>when people interject into discussions that don't concern them to whine about THEIR feelings
>when people assume you can just shit out money like they can
>when people are wrong

i don't know the difference between my pet peeves and things that i hate

Back
Top Bottom