• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Suggest me some Pokés for BW's in-game

Suggest me some Pokés for BW's in-game

Well, basically I need help with building a strong in-game team in Black. I don't know half the Pokémon and it seems some of my choices aren't so hot...

Right now I have: Pignite, Pansage and Tranquill.

For the record, I'm keeping Tranquill out of tradition (I always use the staple bird), but I may replace him with a Mandibuzz, even though she has crap attacking stats. I may drop Pansage because it's a stone evolution and it learns the last move too late (L43), and I don't think it's going to be useful for so long.

I was going to catch a Blitzle but I heard Zebstrika isn't very good. I tried to catch a Drilbur too but I ran out of Poké Balls and it's just too annoying to catch, so I think I'm going with Krookodile but I'm not sure.

So, what are good Pokémon for making a team for BW's story?

Re: Suggest me some Pokés for BW's in-game

Well, basically I need help with building a strong in-game team in Black. I don't know half the Pokémon and it seems some of my choices aren't so hot...

Right now I have: Pignite, Pansage and Tranquill.

For the record, I'm keeping Tranquill out of tradition (I always use the staple bird), but I may replace him with a Mandibuzz, even though she has crap attacking stats. I may drop Pansage because it's a stone evolution and it learns the last move too late (L43), and I don't think it's going to be useful for so long.

I was going to catch a Blitzle but I heard Zebstrika isn't very good. I tried to catch a Drilbur too but I ran out of Poké Balls and it's just too annoying to catch, so I think I'm going with Krookodile but I'm not sure.

So, what are good Pokémon for making a team for BW's story?

I've found Zebstrika to be very usable ingame, moreso than the typical Electric-type; it is pretty much a glass cannon, though. Excadrill is basically the best Ground-type ever, but Krookodile would be okay, too. If you want a Grass-type besides Simisage, try Lilligant (obtainable sooner) or Sawsbuck (physically oriented, broader movepool). Unova really doesn't have much in the way of Flying-types, but I'd vouch for Swanna (mixed coverage, Roost) or Mandibuzz (good defenses) over Unfezant (unimpressive). Fighting-types perform well for the majority of the game, and you have a wide variety of choices: Sawk, Conkeldurr, Scrafty, Mienshao (my personal favourite). For Water-types, Jellicent and Swanna (obtainable before you get Surf) are the only really interesting conventional options, but Alomomola is there, too.

Is there anything particular you're actually looking for? (For the record, my first playthrough team was Samurott, Sawsbuck, Swanna, Chandelure, Mienshao, Cinccino.)

I think the most important for me would be a good Ground type and an Electric type. Right now I have no good coverage against Flying Pokémon and I'll be needing a Ground type very soon. I would use another Fighting type but I already have Pignite, which has crap moves but anyway...

For Electric I may go with Zebstrika, it's damn good! Didn't think it was that nice until looking at its stats. The glass cannon part I can endure, because a lot of Electric Pokémon are glass cannons (in fact, all those not named Electivire, Ampharos, Magnezone, or legendaries).

Is there something that learns Surf but isn't a Water type? Seems like I might not use a Water type at all, considering the lack of options.

I think the most important for me would be a good Ground type and an Electric type. Right now I have no good coverage against Flying Pokémon

Rock- and Steel-types work well here, too.

and I'll be needing a Ground type very soon. I would use another Fighting type but I already have Pignite, which has crap moves but anyway...
... I consistently forget Emboar is Fighting-type because all it gets levelling up is Arm Thrust. You can Heart Scale Hammer Arm, but...

For Electric I may go with Zebstrika, it's damn good! Didn't think it was that nice until looking at its stats. The glass cannon part I can endure, because a lot of Electric Pokémon are glass cannons (in fact, all those not named Electivire, Ampharos, Magnezone, or legendaries).
I like Zebstrika because it has good ATK and usable SpA for mixed attacking, and Electric/Fire/Normal coverage is pretty excellent; nothing takes less than neutral damage from at least one of these types that I can think of (other than Giratina, which won't be a problem).

Is there something that learns Surf but isn't a Water type? Seems like I might not use a Water type at all, considering the lack of options.
Uhh, Stoutland, Audino, Haxorus, Beartic, Druddigon, and Bouffalant do, but their SpA scores are bad. Stunfisk's isn't great, but it's better than ATK, and you get Hydreigon super-late.

I did forget to mention Carracosta earlier, though. It performs well as either a Rock or Water-type.

Last edited:

I suggest Druddigon for Surf, and I think it learns Fly too! And you went for a good move picking Tepig as your starter! I do suggest using a Drilbur, as it gains a Steel typing when it evolves and Roggenrola stays as a rock type. Use repels to look for a shaking spot (I suggest Wellspring Cave) and Zebstrika is good if you want a Pokemon with good move type diversity. I hope this helps! =P

Swoobat isn't bad as a flying-type, and if you're willing to waste twenty minutes of playtime running back and forth continuously in front of the daycare you can evolve Woobat before even arriving in Nacrene.

Sigilyph is considerably good for a flying type. I used one in Black and loved it.

Lilligant is amazing. It's got Petal Dance, so if you can get one with Own Tempo...
Sawk and Conkeldurr are both good in my experience, if you're looking for Fighting. Carracosta is nice as well, Sturdy being a lifesaver.

I kept the Pansear and it became a very varied attacker. So it's pretty good. And if you ever need another Fire-type, Chandelure is your friend. Most of its better attacks are TMs, so it compensates for being a stone evo. I have a Krookodile, and it's great.

Usually for my team I just use Scrafty and Chandelure or Scrafty and Beheeyem. They do take some time to receive but Lucky Egg + running in tall grass or dark grass and fighting Audino's help a lot. My Scrafty is basically my powerhouse and he's a fighting type tha can avoid psychic moves due to it's dark alignment. This time around I used all three and devestated the E4. And Beheeyem can learn electric types moves that help due to special attack. Of course that's just how I do it since I can't sand using more than two Pokémon.

Sigilyph is considerably good for a flying type. I used one in Black and loved it.
I like Sigilyph, too. If you're using Fly on it, though, it can be hard to work with three moveslots to a satisfactory degree.

Usually for my team I just use Scrafty and Chandelure or Scrafty and Beheeyem. They do take some time to receive but Lucky Egg + running in tall grass or dark grass and fighting Audino's help a lot. My Scrafty is basically my powerhouse and he's a fighting type tha can avoid psychic moves due to it's dark alignment. This time around I used all three and devestated the E4. And Beheeyem can learn electric types moves that help due to special attack. Of course that's just how I do it since I can't sand using more than two Pokémon.

Scrafty is advantaged against everyone but Marshal. Scrafty's ugly and a jerk, though :(

Scrafty is advantaged against everyone but Marshal. Scrafty's ugly and a jerk, though :(

And that's where I used my Beheeyem :D he may be ugly but mine is fairly nice unless you count plans for taking over as evil :(

yo Golurk is best Flyer
Golurk learns fly? that is fantastic, I wonder if it flies like astroboy

also gonna say that lilligant is pretty fantastic! krookodile is pretty great too. compoundeyes galvantula is also amazing because thunder.

Lilligant is my... sis, I suppose.

Seriously, Lilligant, Scrafty, and Chandelure are badasses.

I support Scrafty and Chandelure; Scrafty is a powerhouse early on in game. Chandelure takes a bit to train up, but still amazingly useful. I also used Bisharp and Mienshao, they got me through the elite four pretty handily. Reuniclus is another good option, if you can get one.

Back
Top Bottom