• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Pal Park (v 3.0)

I liek Squirtles
043.png
Male
[Catch / Ignore]?
Inventory: Park Balls x3, Litleo (Female), Fletchinder (Male), Ariados (Female), Pansear (Male), Lickitung (Male), Growlithe (Male), Black Belt, Togepi (Male), Litleo (Male), Espurr (Male), Happiny (Female), Swablu (Female), Teddiursa (Male), Spewpa (Female)
Points for Encounter: 45
Total Points: 2865
Partner Pokémon: Blastoise

Majora
Well, that's a matter of definition. If you came across a sapient AI, for instance, would you refer to them as a machine or a person?
221-f.png

[Catch / Ignore]?
Inventory: Park Balls x6
Points for Encounter: 60
Total Points: 210
Partner Pokémon: Zangoose

Wargle
557.png
Male
[Catch / Ignore]?
Inventory: Park Balls x1, Zweilous (Male), Alakazam (Male), Hariyama (Male), Krokorok (Female), Dawn Stone, Klinklang, Black Belt
Total Points: 4485
Partner Pokémon: Golem

Alligates
Capture: +60 Points
161.png
Female
[Catch / Ignore]?
Inventory: Park Balls x3, Nidorino (Male), Floette (White) (Female), Porygon-Z, Ledian (Female), Watchog (Female), Roselia (Male), Plusle (Female), Bibarel (Male)
Total Points: 1350
Partner Pokémon: Mightyena

Last edited:
Ignore.

It's still technically a machine, even if it meets the standards of life. By definition, a machine is, "an apparatus using or applying mechanical power and having several parts, each with a definite function and together performing a particular task." And that certainly applies to Porygon, whereas I wouldn't say it properly conforms to the definition of life, that being, "a living organism that feeds on organic matter, typically having specialized sense organs and nervous system and able to respond rapidly to stimuli."

I liek Squirtles
043.png
Male
[Catch / Ignore]?
Inventory: Park Balls x3, Litleo (Female), Fletchinder (Male), Ariados (Female), Pansear (Male), Lickitung (Male), Growlithe (Male), Black Belt, Togepi (Male), Litleo (Male), Espurr (Male), Happiny (Female), Swablu (Female), Teddiursa (Male), Spewpa (Female)
Total Points: 2865

Majora
Well, that's a matter of definition. If you came across a sapient AI, for instance, would you refer to them as a machine or a person?
221-f.png

[Catch / Ignore]?
Points for Encounter: 60
Total Points: 210

Wargle
557.png
Male
[Catch / Ignore]?
Inventory: Park Balls x1, Zweilous (Male), Alakazam (Male), Hariyama (Male), Krokorok (Female), Dawn Stone, Klinklang, Black Belt
Total Points: 4485

Alligates
Capture: +60 Points
161.png
Female
[Catch / Ignore]?
Inventory: Park Balls x3, Nidorino (Male), Floette (White) (Female), Porygon-Z, Ledian (Female), Watchog (Female), Roselia (Male), Plusle (Female), Bibarel (Male)
Total Points: 1350
chart

Alligates
676-de.png
Male
[Catch / Ignore]?
Total Points: 1395

Majora
Consider, though, that by that definition humans are also a machine. As to the definition of life, if we ignore the tautological reference to living, we find "feeds on organic matter", where Porygon can eat berries and other Pokémon food; "specialized sense organs and nervous system", which it can be presumed to have in some form or another and are merely typical anyway; and "able to rapidly respond to stimuli", which it can and not all life can do anyway.
303.png
Female
027.png
Male
[Catch Mawile / Catch Sandshrew / Ignore]?
Points for Encounter: 90
Total Points: 300

I liek Squirtles
013.png
Male
[Catch / Ignore]?
Total Points: 2910

Wargle
104.png
Female
[Catch / Ignore]?
Total Points: 4530

Ignore both.

That's true, but if you're giving it that criteria, then I would credit its evolutions more as a living being than it is, if it makes any sense (which it doesn't; if we can qualify a man-made thing as alive, I don't see why a non-living machine can grow into a living machine). Isn't Porygon sort of... lame?

Alligates
676-de.png
Male
[Catch / Ignore]?
Total Points: 1395

Majora
Consider, though, that by that definition humans are also a machine. As to the definition of life, if we ignore the tautological reference to living, we find "feeds on organic matter", where Porygon can eat berries and other Pokémon food; "specialized sense organs and nervous system", which it can be presumed to have in some form or another and are merely typical anyway; and "able to rapidly respond to stimuli", which it can and not all life can do anyway.
303.png
Female
027.png
Male
[Catch Mawile / Catch Sandshrew / Ignore]?
Points for Encounter: 90
Total Points: 300

I liek Squirtles
013.png
Male
[Catch / Ignore]?
Total Points: 2910

Wargle
104.png
Female
[Catch / Ignore]?
Total Points: 4530
chartchartchatchart

Majora
If it was a normal change then it would make less sense, but Pokémon evolution is a total overhaul anyway, so there's no particular reason it couldn't become living were it not already so. Incidentally, I seem to remember science class way back when saying something about the "four Fs" as criteria for life, and Porygon fulfils all four.
433.png
Male
[Catch / Ignore]?
Total Points: 345

I liek Squirtles
Whoops. I really should have remembered to do that. Remind me on if I haven't done something about it by sunday, okay?
014.png
Male
[Catch / Ignore]?
Total Points: 2955

Alligates
Capture: +45 Points
191.png
Female
[Catch / Ignore]?
Inventory: Park Balls x2, Nidorino (Male), Floette (White) (Female), Porygon-Z, Ledian (Female), Watchog (Female), Roselia (Male), Plusle (Female), Bibarel (Male), Furfrou (Debutante) (Male)
Total Points: 1440

Wargle
027.png
Female
[Catch / Ignore]?
Total Points: 4575

Ignore.

I suppose. I guess the definition of life is sort of loose. I think it's more that Porygon is inorganic that sets it off, for me.

Majora
If it was a normal change then it would make less sense, but Pokémon evolution is a total overhaul anyway, so there's no particular reason it couldn't become living were it not already so. Incidentally, I seem to remember science class way back when saying something about the "four Fs" as criteria for life, and Porygon fulfils all four.
433.png
Male
[Catch / Ignore]?
Total Points: 345

I liek Squirtles
Whoops. I really should have remembered to do that. Remind me on if I haven't done something about it by sunday, okay?
014.png
Male
[Catch / Ignore]?
Total Points: 2955

Alligates
Capture: +45 Points
191.png
Female
[Catch / Ignore]?
Inventory: Park Balls x2, Nidorino (Male), Floette (White) (Female), Porygon-Z, Ledian (Female), Watchog (Female), Roselia (Male), Plusle (Female), Bibarel (Male), Furfrou (Debutante) (Male)
Total Points: 1440

Wargle
027.png
Female
[Catch / Ignore]?
Total Points: 4575
chart

Majora
Other examples of inorganic Pokémon include Magnemite, Onix, and Klink.
066.png
Male
[Catch / Ignore]?
Total Points: 390

I liek Squirtles
011.png
Male
[Catch / Ignore]?
Total Points: 3000

Alligates
173.png
Female
[Catch / Ignore]?
Total Points: 1485

Wargle
361.png
Male
[Catch / Ignore]?
Total Points: 4620

Majora
Other examples of inorganic Pokémon include Magnemite, Onix, and Klink.
066.png
Male
[Catch / Ignore]?
Total Points: 390

I liek Squirtles
011.png
Male
[Catch / Ignore]?
Total Points: 3000

Alligates
173.png
Female
[Catch / Ignore]?
Total Points: 1485

Wargle
361.png
Male
[Catch / Ignore]?
Total Points: 4620
is it on the chart

Back
Top Bottom