• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Police Brutality

Phantom

Uh, I didn't do it.
More and more recently here in Minneapolis the local police have been charged with police brutality.

Police Beating at Traffic Stop

This has become a big problem for the city, both morally and finacially. Twin Cities City Pages

What is your take on this? Note yes the video is dated, but there is something else that has recently happened.

Taken from the Star Tribune

Why do cops seem to think they are above the law? Do you think that the actions taken in the video were justified? What about the use of tazers and other forms of force?

Personally I find this saddening. I worked with the Minneapolis Police Department for three years as a volunteer (Look up police exploring when you can that's what I do) and never could I have believed that those people I looked up to would do these sorts of things. I now work with the county, but recently one of my very own police advisors has been acused of sexual harrassment of one of my fellow explorers! Why is this happening?

Is there really much to debate about this? Personally, I'm in favour of police brutality, and I expect most of TCoD is with me.

I actually do think police are above the law (On the job; sexual harassment is completely different.) They're expecting to be dealing with dangerous people who are likely going to harm them and anyway, if a policeman is following the law trying to catch a criminal disregarding the law it's going to be really dang in favor of the criminal getting away.

While I am against police brutality, I don't expect there is any statistic or study that could be used to support any debate about it. This is mostly a moral opinion - do you think police officers should be allowed to disregard the law? And is it right for them to break the law just because a suspect may have, or a criminal has?

I firmly believe that police officers should be better at following the law than the average civilian. They're there to uphold the law; they should start with themselves. Ignoring traffic laws while they're in pursuit makes sense; parking anywhere and everywhere and speeding on a regular basis does not.

Tasering or shooting people for shits and giggles or because maybe they can't hear the cop is right out. Violence should only be an option in self defense or if the person is clearly holding a gun and looks like they might use it. By 'a gun' I mean a gun rather than a camera.

I firmly believe that police officers should be better at following the law than the average civilian. They're there to uphold the law; they should start with themselves. Ignoring traffic laws while they're in pursuit makes sense; parking anywhere and everywhere and speeding on a regular basis does not.

Tasering or shooting people for shits and giggles or because maybe they can't hear the cop is right out. Violence should only be an option in self defense or if the person is clearly holding a gun and looks like they might use it. By 'a gun' I mean a gun rather than a camera.

Pretty much this. I have always thought that just because they're cops doesn't mean they can do whatever they want. When they need to, now, that makes sense. Speeding when they're trying to catch someone who is speeding, defending themselves with a gun when the other guy has a gun. But if the other guy has, say... nothing, that doesn't mean you get to pummel the shit out of the guy.

Did anybody seriously watch this and say "I'm okay with this"? Because, I mean... wow. There's like, at least half a dozen cops wailing on this guy. Surely there's a better way to restrain a guy and cuff him than curbstomping him with five of your fellows. I don't know the context but this looks like taking advantage of a situation to beat the hell out of someone for fun. "We can just tell them he was being insubordinate or something. They won't say anything about it."

I think police should only resort to those things if they need to. NEED. If they've GOT to resort to that sort of thing, then do, but if not then it's just wrong. I've heard of a lot of cops tasering people for petty or harmless things.. I saw this on TV the other day.

I agree with James and everyone saying stuff he is.

It may sound like I'm retracting what I said earlier, but really I'm not. I only adressed when ON the job.

Now why would you tase a guy after he's on the floor? And a third time after he's already been handcuffed? He's sixty-four years old. There's at least two cops present. And he's apparently intoxicated and uncoordinated. He's not going to be able to do much to you even if he is trying to resist. One should've been enough, if it was needed at all. That's exactly the sort of thing I don't approve of. Many police officers are too quick to jump to violence anymore. Almost all of the comments to that article are saying "But they had to make a quick decision! Based on their training and experience!" but I say they were too quick. How about take a few steps back, and while he shambles around after you take a couple seconds and make a proper assessment of the situation?

Is there really much to debate about this? Personally, I'm in favour of police brutality, and I expect most of TCoD is with me.
I'm told that some people took this seriously and were a little bit horrified by it. Never take anything I say seriously. If it wasn't already clear: I am absolutely against police brutality. I think it should only happen between two consenting adults.

I think it should only happen between two consenting adults.
And while at least one is wearing a condom.

I once saw something on television (Ripley's, believe it or not) about a foreigner who spoke little English who went to an (English-speaking) airport and was taserized to death because he was mistaken for a terrorist or something.

I once saw something on television (Ripley's, believe it or not) about a foreigner who spoke little English who went to an (English-speaking) airport and was taserized to death because he was mistaken for a terrorist or something.

You mean Robert Dziekanski? Yeah, the guy was tired after his delayed flight, he couldn't find his family, he spoke next to no English, and then when he sees the police he gets tasered all to hell. Multiple times. Including when he was already on the ground. What was even better was the reason they gave for doing it, which amounted to "he was threatening us with a deadly weapon - who knows what he could've done with that stapler!" And a guy who had a cellphone video of the whole thing that flew in the face of the officers' testimony had it confiscated for months.

Dear Poland,

Sorry about that.

Signed,
Canada

P.S. If it's any consolation, pretty much everyone here's calling for the officers' heads.

Do you think tazers are a humane way to detain suspects? There is a lot of debate on that, but no, I wasn't intending to hold a debate, rather a discussion.

Robert Dziekanski and quite a few other people who have been in his situation in Canada alone would all like to rise from the dead to have a word with such "not lethal luls" people.

I'd say there should be further research. See if there's a way to reduce the voltage or find some other way for it to actually count as non-lethal while still getting the job done.

They have pepper spray for this.

If someone is on the ground and has been tazed already, just mace him.

One jolt of a Tazer is instant 50,000 volts of electricity. In comparison, a bolt of lightning is 1,000,000 volts.

And you can hold that trigger for a long time. Long exposure. that's too much. They could hold the damn button until the battery is dry. Too much power.

Police Brutality is alright, provided that the violence is absolutely necessary. Against the person they are trying to get, against anyone in their way and in self defense. When it comes to shooting a caged dog for the sake of finding a 'drug dealer'? That's when it comes into question.

Are you being serious? Ruby already made the obligitory "It's okay!" joke, but I'm worried what you said wasn't in jest.
The police can brutalize "anyone in their way"?

They have pepper spray for this.

If someone is on the ground and has been tazed already, just mace him.

One jolt of a Tazer is instant 50,000 volts of electricity. In comparison, a bolt of lightning is 1,000,000 volts.

And you can hold that trigger for a long time. Long exposure. that's too much. They could hold the damn button until the battery is dry. Too much power.

A few things mace doesn't work on all people, some are actually immune, or are so high on shit that it doesn't affect them.

Also, the taser has a max time of 15 seconds, you can't hold the button for extended periods of time, it's a safety feature.

Back
Top Bottom