• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

My somewhat-okay (I hope) Spritework

You can't pass everything off as 'your style'. I've been following this thread and a lot of people have commented on the lack of contrast (that is, I remember a lot of posts saying that; not sure on the number of people). I wholeheartedly agree with them. Kam basically summed up what I had to say: too many unnecessary shades.

Seriously, though, real life has a lot of contrast. Are you saying everything in the real world looks awkward? tbh I can't think of anything that has as little contrast as your pixel-overs.

And since you're not likely to take the above seriously, anyway: you basically shaded Munna like it was a giant ball - even at the snout, which should not be happening. At least add more shadow to the right side (its left).

That's meant to cast a shadow? It looks to me like just a darker patch on the skin. Huh.

I'm looking at things right now with gradual shading, so. It just looks better to me than if I had like three shades with massive contrast. Sorry if it's not what you like, though.

EDIT: Although, now that I look at it some more, I agree its right needs more shading. Added to my to-do queue.

Last edited:
Oddly, being back at school somehow increases my productivity. Whut. Don't get your hopes up though; just more of these. Hopefully, I'll have a pixel-over up later tonight.
348hh5k.jpg
2m5jgr4.jpg
t8t7hl.jpg
9knpf4.jpg
2mxikrb.jpg

am4idz.jpg
34ip7w3.jpg
2ur14s7.jpg
vd1tao.jpg
szvi3n.jpg

2a9azk6.jpg
28s3a68.jpg
15nk8x0.jpg
xc3ixk.jpg
jb3c5h.jpg

sglgsx.jpg
28jkzdw.jpg
2dc633d.jpg
a2ywqt.jpg
2vltenl.jpg

i6zhmq.jpg
2cgexqp.jpg
2zrjn7q.jpg
ja7yh2.jpg
mmwxmt.jpg

EDIT: I recolored Kecleon to each of the different types. Color Change yay.

zlf3wz.jpg
6ycupy.jpg
funo9k.jpg
242eky9.jpg
mhzss5.jpg

t5nof8.jpg
23ie3ic.jpg
9up7ur.jpg
125rs7r.jpg
9hktp3.jpg

ra7pj4.jpg
2rdc474.jpg
ve5e7o.jpg
25ri3nk.jpg
2q9gm0l.jpg

16k9n4h.jpg
35bzitj.jpg
2a28eg.jpg

EDIT: And more.
28upij8.jpg
14o0v85.jpg
1zcg285.jpg
nlof3p.jpg
2dhy9fk.jpg

2dj9pmw.jpg
20sc44.jpg
b3qtsk.jpg
o8x4.jpg
212e0is.jpg

2vx57kg.jpg
21eosnc.jpg
21eosnc.jpg
o1hmh.jpg
262y5c6.jpg

35c3cc2.jpg
2d76gkk.jpg
mblix3.jpg
nq3e5c.jpg

ehkt5e.jpg
15hlmdg.jpg
73dtzo.jpg
6pu4hf.jpg
2hhoh8n.jpg

33l1bwg.jpg
fop4z9.jpg
11h5abt.jpg
2hgv38o.jpg
23j3042.jpg

EDIT: La la lalala lalalala la la.
99kljs.jpg
30jmhw1.jpg
2e0iec2.jpg
2ntixzo.jpg
vevww.jpg

2uotdgh.jpg
2w2iixz.jpg
166bprs.jpg
2ceozt2.jpg
ehiu6w.jpg

23tgzo8.jpg
2rgyivm.jpg
23huclk.jpg
2jxfdz.jpg
2v3mpas.jpg

EDIT: Bluuuuurgle
n56d5d.jpg
qqbkt0.jpg
dnyk5y.jpg
2pq965w.jpg
16ixx7a.jpg

1zv4975.jpg
iekwae.jpg
2yobv61.jpg
dww5ec.jpg
1z4c2mo.jpg

25zgtpz.jpg
2dh5oh3.jpg
rlyjrd.jpg
117batv.jpg
30wpop1.jpg

EDIT: Whuuuuuurrrrrghhhhhhh there's less today because I figured out the answer to an annoying JavaScript error that's been stalking me! Yay!
2dtn6hh.jpg
li2wh.jpg
2hnowsy.jpg
1588ah4.jpg
2hi2qhj.jpg

EDIT: The pretty colors...
qqwe8p.jpg
69jb7k.jpg
125sy3a.jpg
11skq3n.jpg
1059wyv.jpg

3026rk6.jpg
2vhsthx.jpg
2jb9ptx.jpg
2lv21c0.jpg
ip486a.jpg

EDIT: And more~
x2wemb.jpg
244e7t2.jpg
2qcqrsi.jpg
nd1tgh.jpg
2mpljyx.jpg

dpaexw.jpg
spdp36.jpg
2f0bq1i.jpg
r8cx20.jpg
2qvzar7.jpg

EDIT: I think that with Hippowdon I almost bit off an eye bigger than my stomach could chew. Today's topic: the mixing of metaphors.
2ur2tk2.jpg
nmdgcg.jpg
noijk6.jpg
1zn691x.jpg
16k9stv.jpg

2igk2o7.jpg
34qoec4.jpg
2je1t2f.jpg
20r05xk.jpg
2a9pa94.jpg

2ecgsj8.jpg
24axqwk.jpg
2e5ianr.jpg
68d7nl.jpg
29fct2u.jpg

2pre2xg.jpg
6ozlag.jpg
2hz4jut.jpg
2gwszt3.jpg
2e4djxt.jpg

Last edited:
Your recolors are rather nice, unfortunately can't see your splices because at least 1/3 of these images are broken. Refreshing doesn't help. D:<

Your pixel-overs have hardly any shading at all. I can also barely tell the difference between the shades. They're just not dark enough - if you make your shading dark enough, it will probably make your pixel-overs look much better. This pixel-over by me has rather dark shading.

Also, there's a lot of "pillow-shading". Looks weird.

Hope my comments make sense XD

a) I like your revamps. They look great
b) I can't see anything wrong with your recolors except for some of the color choices. The monitor I use is slightly busted and everything is a bit darker - I can't see what's going on in some youtube videos because of this. Even with this monitor, some of the sprites were eye-glaring.
c) In my opinion, the fusions/splices/whatever you call them could be more creative in terms of parts
d) I like the pixel-overs, but I can't relate much with the comments of others about your pixel-overs since I haven't tried to do them yet.

Points taken on board. Now, responses.

All the images are working for me... not sure what's going on there.
You know, people keep pointing this out to me. I personally prefer to do lots of gradual shades, it looks better to me. I do try to avoid pillow-shading, though. The light source is imagined to be in the front-top-left, if that helps.
The recolors are just using the colors that already exist on the sprite and swapping them, so. Still, they don't seem too bright to me, but eh, I guess some people's opinions will be different.
The splices... eh, I don't think they're that great either, honestly.

Thanks for both the comments and the criticism.

It's not the fact that the colors are taken from the official sprites, it's that the colors don't look good together.

Eh, that's mostly a matter of opinion. I think they look okay, but you're entitled to disagree.

EDIT: Oh look
im5dt3.jpg
icmdqe.jpg
2qd0bop.jpg
28jdt0g.jpg
eaqg40.jpg

347ttl1.jpg
wko64o.jpg
ke8082.jpg
sdiejr.jpg
wrjmn7.jpg

EDIT: To all you who say that a Pokémon can't have a grey mouth, look at Grimer.
2dvspk9.jpg
3476ufb.jpg
35mis2c.jpg
10e4w2a.jpg
rrryuh.jpg

28r05sz.jpg
2whfts6.jpg
314s5r8.jpg
25gb881.jpg
2ih2fib.jpg

idyxxk.jpg
2dr8dy1.jpg
2ewp0kh.jpg
122d94x.jpg
2rc7sc7.jpg

Last edited:
The colors don't seem to fit on most of your recolors. Try to keep level of contrast consistent, both between the change in shade of the two major colors, and the wayy the colors fit together themselves.

Eh, the colors look okay(ish) to me, some slightly bright, but not really excessively so. The shades themselves tend to have too much contrast to my eye, so I reduce it, if that's what you meant.

And more.
28vpqhf.jpg
dg47d1.jpg
olo46.jpg
2ppzmf4.jpg
34pb57a.jpg

2zpl8uo.jpg
xpdkkn.jpg
2d291ck.jpg
2r71r4g.jpg
rlyuxw.jpg

343r7df.jpg
2s0fl08.jpg
dosbrk.jpg
25f1s0n.jpg
25p7rt1.jpg

The empoleon and Electrode just look ... bad.

The bright colors, I can't stand it. Same with furret a post up.

Furret especially looks like you just used Standard Paint colors.

Eh, that's just because you're used to seeing them darker, Empoleon especially. As an example, see Drapion below. It's quite clearly darker than the norm, but looks brighter.
kamjae.jpg
11ty0qd.jpg
2eey5g0.jpg
mw75p1.jpg
mq82r.jpg

ilant1.jpg
ir164y.jpg
30at7o0.jpg
30hv3pc.jpg
zjj6n8.jpg

ajmpuo.jpg
2585u2h.jpg
be8ns4.jpg
2n20h2d.jpg
1z6zktz.jpg

I do not much care for recolours myself because I consider them a waste of time, but let me say something:
The problem is not us being 'not used to seeing these like this' but the fact that darker colours require different shading from brighter colours. If you wanted to make these colours fit together well, you'd have to edit the shading instead of just.. well, recolouring them.

example:
2s0fl08.jpg

it looks awkward because the shading does not fit such a bright colour; it's designed for a dark colour and should only be recoloured with a relatively dark colour. Unless you change the shading, that is. (light colours on Pokémon sprites usually have a third, lighter shade whereas the dark ones don't)

You should also work with the outlining, in some sprites the outline is awfully dark in some parts and awfully bright in others. Edit the colours, don't just dropper-tool them straight. :I

examples:
1z6zktz.jpg

The outline on the pink parts is too dark and the dark purple is too dark compared to the bright pink and lacks contrast.

25gb881.jpg

THE RED. IT BURNS. The light body versus DARK HEAVY RED looks very awkward and makes it look very unbalanced and unnatural.
again: outlines on red too dark, the red is generally too bright and saturated

30at7o0.jpg

head and arms: CONTRAST? WHERE?
The outline is too dark once again and the two shades desperately need more contrast/hue shifting (try a yellower shade for the light shade?)

dunno why I'm typing this because you'll probably ignore this like all the other comments
I'd appreciate if you actually read these and tried to learn something.

I -do- read the comments. I -do- pay attention to them, and I don't appreciate your saying that I don't.
I actually generally do my best to fix up the shading and outlining, you know. I'm not very good, but I still try. I edit the colors when it looks odd to me with the amount of contrast, so.
I'm really not fond of people saying that I ignore things when I don't, by the way.

I apologize, it's just that the way you comment back gives the sort of 'I don't care' vibe even if that's not what you intended.

A good way to learn better could be taking, let's say, some of those example sprites in my post and try to fix the things mentioned.
It might really help with truly identifying and understanding the problems with the sprites, which in turn makes it easier to prevent them in future works.

Ah, sorry.

Yeah, I'll get to it eventually.

EDIT: Well, no fixed ones, but some new ones.
15ogqz6.jpg
dc36sw.jpg
2jd5fm9.jpg
n4awat.jpg
2gvsa52.jpg

5n8xz8.jpg
altg8m.jpg
2ep0mtv.jpg
359jsl0.jpg
mhrjih.jpg

EDIT: no-one can accuse me of being lazy with Darkrai
2wpujro.jpg
riyfd2.jpg
2yjtvy9.jpg
9vdsg6.jpg
f1mkva.jpg

20u1mxi.jpg
2lavtw2.jpg
eiuvsk.jpg
fuvnl4.jpg
2lawhv6.jpg

2dumkxw.jpg
do46r4.jpg
mb0ppw.jpg
10nrgb5.jpg
2hfju5u.jpg

2vn2790.jpg
2e4krjq.jpg
f01c7q.jpg
2u5ernn.jpg
i6fk3q.jpg

2w236a0.jpg
2q0w0m1.jpg
21nma0p.jpg
vz7uvs.jpg
2pq41sx.jpg

EDIT: Running out of things to say here
19rypt.jpg
214z3fn.jpg
3515yzn.jpg
1zof71s.jpg
ddernq.jpg

2irroup.jpg
mwup2s.jpg
29lii2t.jpg
241uq6v.jpg
mvmh61.jpg

302ouur.jpg
vya70z.jpg
8xrhqv.jpg
5v86ir.jpg
htit5u.jpg

EDIT Hlbllghblg
2hycn00.jpg
2mouzux.jpg
o70nyd.jpg
ir6ayx.jpg
34t4fts.jpg

1jqiaw.jpg
350lc2u.jpg
4l2g77.jpg
70kv7k.jpg
64hy53.jpg

sdoajk.jpg
1t363b.jpg
300cimx.jpg
2wez5es.jpg
2qlsbad.jpg

EDIT: blurgh
1zpi5u9.jpg
2gsk5nc.jpg
54c8ys.jpg
1088lrr.jpg
2ccsdpv.jpg

fxxunl.jpg
66ix6c.jpg
23u90e0.jpg
2j5fo9g.jpg
50pe9w.jpg

6tic7a.jpg
2qsw1dx.jpg
2a62ngp.jpg
21b3imo.jpg
2zszp5t.jpg

EDIT: bluuuuuuurgh
w12sza.jpg
15gxpn8.jpg
2a8m1bc.jpg
2vw92jl.jpg
2afd03.jpg

w1bsx3.jpg
mt3xy0.jpg
2en6ccg.jpg
2rwmezd.jpg
1z3nmue.jpg

6s9oc2.jpg
a3fbif.jpg
nc75j.jpg
zthf6b.jpg
29bbzat.jpg

Last edited:
Palette-swapping... nice concept there, but maybe you can edit the shading and such to fit with the new colors? Most of the sprites have shades meant for the color(s) they have only, and changing the colors makes them look rather awkward. I know you're doing a lot of palette-swapping, but a fair amount of tweaking should make these sprites much better looking. Not to mention that some of the colors you swapped have absolutely bad results - Furret, Bidoof and Giratina, to name a couple. Maybe very slightly darken the colors, or try a different color-swap on them.

Also, your pixel-overs. Very nice, you've done them very nicely - however, the shading is a big problem. There is very little contrast, and very little difference between your shades - I know you're attempting to use gradual shading, but you could try making the shades darker, to help make the pixel-overs look better. Also, I can see the same problem with shine - in some pixel-overs, a Pokemon has a rather dark eye, and this makes the whole Pokemon look very devoid of life. Just a white spot in the eyes will help brighten up and make your pixel-overs lively. Also, the outlines. You need to put some black where there are shadows - this will give off a much better look than a one-color shade, which makes the sprite very tedious.

A fair amount you need to work on in my opinion, however you are doing very well. If you tweak your spriting to how I explained, then it will make the sprites look much better. Of course it will take a while to get used to.

Back
Top Bottom