• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

My somewhat-okay (I hope) Spritework

Re: My somewhat-okay (I hope) Pixel Overs and Revamps

I try and achieve the first meaning, but yeah, still practicing. I actually just realised my very first sprite was made less than three months ago. None of you are ever seeing that. Ever. It was horrendous.
Also, to your previous post, yeah, the light source is toward the front, and the top, and the left.
Um, the cream-shading still looks awful, but I think I'm getting closer and so maybe tomorrow it may be finished. Hopefully.

Really? Only 3 months? You've come a long way in just 3 months. Kudos to you.

Hey, I said I'd never let anyone see my first-ever pixel-over, and now it's become the favorite of at least four people on four different forums.

Cream is a very hard color to shade without appearing yellow or green, but maybe dithering rather than your typical blending would help.

You... really don't know just how awful it was. You will also never see.
It's not a matter of appearing yellow or green, more that it either looks as though it has no shading at all or it has much too much contrast. I think I've got it though, so just got to finish that, do the tree, and done.

EDIT: Okay, scrap the tree. It looked kind of out of place, so I figured the image was complete enough as is.
4r6zp4.jpg

Quite obviously, the most complicated one I've done.

Last edited:

I thought it was going to be that one! Either that or one of the scenes from the Camp Pikachu short. It looks great, although you've kind of got that whole soulless pits for the eyes thing going on again. They all are in need of a shiny spot to give them personality. Great colors and shading though; especially on her dress. Keep up the great work.

Aw, but with the exception of Umbreon, whose eye refused to work right (cursed pupil) I thought I had put highlights in! =O
I think I've kind of burned myself out with this, so I'll probably be a while before I come up with anything else, despite having several in the works. Seeya.

Well, it's not that they don't have highlights; they do. But there's a difference between highlights and shine. Shine is a very bright white, like a reflection. As of now, the eyes are just highlighted and appear rather dull as eyes.

:D Now doesn't that give them a bit of life?

Looks too bright to me. Too much contrast in my opinion. But it seems to be the generally accepted thing, so~

Well, since it's a bright shine, it'll kind of have to be contrasted in order to look like a shine.

Your pixel-overs seem to be a bit too pillow shaded. It makes it look like they're all cylinders rather than animals :( Don't shade by placing dark colours along the edges and slowly approach light colours; that only looks remotely decent for round things. So it works with Flareon's ruff but fails with Jolteon and Umbreon.

Eh; I know Umbreon looks awful. Jolteon doesn't look pilow-shaded to me though. Maybe it's just that it's too light.

EDIT: Upon looking closely at Jolteon I see that I did shade more on one side than another, as I try to, but not by much. But um yeah, I do try to so oops, I guess.

EDIT: A day of mostly no internet has made me productive. Also I have my internet back now obviously.
33ne2w5.jpg
9t0qo2.jpg
1pf1iu.jpg
35let53.jpg
2nqw54y.jpg

EDIT:
10rs1o1.jpg

Last edited:

I'll add it to the queue of things to do at some point, but bear in mind I've just done one of all the Eeveelutions and so probably won't do it for a while.

Ah, Can you do a pixel over this?
Not to intrude on Squornshellous' thread, but I've made pixel-overs of all those images already and would be happy to let you use them. Would that be okay, or would you rather have Squornshellous Beta do it, because I'm fine with that either way.

I am rather lazy and would prefer that course of action, but if you'd prefer I do it then I'll get to it sometime. Uh.
As to an update:
k9xhtw.jpg

Wot wot wot.

I can't help thinking that this place may kind of die since Ryubane and I were the only ones who posted here but hey, I can hope.

Haha, sophisticated Cleffa is sophisticated.

...you're still using too many shades with too little contrast.

Also, you need some black outlines to add depth.

My and Ryubane's shared style is to not use black in the outlines. Also, I prefer overshading to normal shading, so.

Cup of tea, m'lud?

Reshiram is in the works, but it has so much detail and is annoying.

EDIT: Not Reshiram, but a Meowth Revamp.
2e6euqs.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom