• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

The Challenge Board

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's not a rule; that's Effercon making an assumption. I'm pretty sure most of us don't do that >>; The only thing that makes me put off picking up battles for certain players is when they're legitimately annoying. By Effercon's logic you'd have the even larger problem of no one being willing to pick up battles involving new players, which would be ridiculous and doesn't happen all that often in my experience (unless those new players have also done something to annoy the ref in question).

Indeed, I actively avoid taking battles for people I know already have a lot going on or have a high likelihood of having their battle taken on by somebody. I try to pick up battles for new people who haven't had a chance to battle before or who don't get a lot of attention. It irritates me when I perceive that referees do otherwise, but ultimately there are some people who simply tend to put on more interesting/fun battles than others, and I'm not about to enforce some kind of requirement that referees have to distribute their services in any particular fashion.

But right now I have seven battles, so. Not taking any more until some clear.

3vs3 single
Style: Set
DQ: A week
Damage cap: 40%
Banned/restricted: No OHKO's or chills(you'll see why), one direct heal per Pokemecha
Arena: Neon Genesis Evangelion Mind Screw Machine.
Thsi battle is going to be SPECIAL. The Pokemon and trainers will be hooked up to a machine which creates a simulated battle arena in the form of a city. The SPECIAL part comes from the fact that the Pokemon inside the machine become Evangelion mecha! That's right, EVANGELION MECHA!! They keep any powers (and body parts) necessary for their attacks (eg. Taillow would have wings and a beak). They also keep their coloration, if it matters.
Because they're robots, instead of Chilling they will have power cables attached to the back of their necks. While these cables are attached, they will have unlimited energy. If they are disconnected or severed, the Pokemon will lose 10% energy each turn (in addition to any energy loss from their attacks). The cable can be reattached by using one of their unique moves (see below).
The Pokemecha have several unique moves.
Rifle Summon: A rifle will come out of one of the buildings, taking one action. The Pokemecha will immediately pick it up and can use it to deal a 25% damage Electric-type attack. Using other attacks will cause you to drop the rifle.
Knife Draw: The mecha pulls a knife out of one of its shoulder fins, and can use it for a 20% damage Steel-type attack. Like the rifle, other attacks require you to drop the knife.
AT Field: The mecha creates an invisible shield (lasting for three actions) which takes 15% damage off all attacks (before type related conditions such as super-effective attacks activate).
Cable Summon: Takes one action. A cable comes out of a building, which the Pokemecha grabs and attaches it to their back.

EDIT: Might be important. Forgot to add these.
a. The machine creates a SIMULATED battle that still gives EXP. It doesn't transform the Pokemon.
b. The trainer will be inside the Evangelion entry plug. Giving the command 'Eject Entry Plug' will have the same effect as a Pokemecha fainting.

Hope the edits don't ruin the battle.

how did this not get taken before? O.o it's so awesome.

Let's steal from Squorn. :3
3v3 singles
DQ: A week
Damage cap: 50%.
Banned: OHKO's, healing
Area: Third Anomaly (Stolen from Squorn :3)

attle Format: 3 vs 3 single
Battle Style: Set, except Baton Pass or similar are permitted
DQ Time: One week
Damage Cap: 45%
Banned and Restricted Moves: Anything can happen (except healing moves)
Arena Description: The Third Anomaly
The Third Anomaly is, as its name suggests, an Anomaly. Arceus only knows how the battlers got there or how they'll get out, but such is the way of the universe. Also unknown is how anyone can see, being as there are no visible light sources, but it is as bright as a typical midsummers midday. It is, at least to begin with, an infinitely large plain white platform floating in nothing. As the battle goes on, however, that platform changes to whatever is required by the battle - if, for example, there is a fish Pokémon on the field, there will be a large pond to swim in. There will be air for everyone can breathe. If Sandstorm is used, sand appears. And so forth. The gravity there is only half of Earth's, so each Pokémon is only half as heavy for things like Grass Knot. This also removes any energy cost that Flyers or Hoverers would need to fly or hover, be they Inherently or Consentually.

The most important effect of this Anomaly is that at the end of each round, both Pokémon in battle will have their moveset and ability replaced with that of another Pokémon. This can be any Pokémon in existence, including Legendaries. Also, the Pokémon are dazed and confused after this change, so as soon as the first round is complete and the first change has taken place, the Pokémon can't listen to any commands and their moves are selected randomly, similar to Sleep Talk.

Another of the major effects of the Third Anomaly is that at the end of every round, at the same time as the changes, both battlers' energy is restored to 100%. Not infinite energy, note, so if a Pokémon uses incredibly energy-intensive moves, it could, at least in theory, faint from energy loss. As though to compensate for this, if a healing move is used, it will fail.

The last effect of note is that at the beginning of every third round, a random object will appear. Any object, from sardines to submarines, and they can appear in any manner the ref wants. What they do is also entirely up to the ref. They vanish at the end of the round, again in a manner of the ref's choosing.

Additional Rules: Buh. Nothing I can think of, except what I detailed in the Arena Description.

3 vs 3 triple (that is, three at a time)
dq: 7 days
damage cap: 50%
banned: ohko's
arena: Suspiciously Empty Ocean

This place is empty, except for the ocean, the air above it, overcast clouds, and the visitors. There is no land; pokémon which cannot fly, float, swim, or otherwise support themselves are ineligible to participate. Rain Dance comes into effect at the beginning of each round. At the end of each odd-numbered round, a water spout effect, generated by a source equivalent to a final-stage water-type pokémon at full health, affects all battlers, ignoring any evasion modifiers and the damage cap.

3 vs 3 triple (that is, three at a time)
dq: 7 days
damage cap: 50%
banned: ohko's
arena: Suspiciously Empty Ocean

This place is empty, except for the ocean, the air above it, overcast clouds, and the visitors. There is no land; pokémon which cannot fly, float, swim, or otherwise support themselves are ineligible to participate. Rain Dance comes into effect at the beginning of each round. At the end of each odd-numbered round, a water spout effect, generated by a source equivalent to a final-stage water-type pokémon at full health, affects all battlers, ignoring any evasion modifiers and the damage cap.

I'll drop my battle with Steel Scyther to take this. (sorry...)

For Skyman.

10vs10 single
DQ: Three days
Damage Cap: 60%
Banned Moves: None
Arena: Field with a Lake

A fairly simple arena for the most part. A several-acre field with grass roughly half an inch long all over, and a lake in the centre full of sparklingly clear water that cannot be muddied or obscured, no matter what happens to it. The lake is big enough to comfortably house a Gyarados. There is a mysterious substance diffused throughout the air, water and ground that deals 3% damage per action; this damage cannot be negated or reduced in any way.

Other: Skyman sends out first.

For Skyman.

10vs10 single

A fairly simple arena for the most part. A several-acre field with grass roughly half an inch long all over, and a lake in the centre full of sparklingly clear water that cannot be muddied or obscured, no matter what happens to it. The lake is big enough to comfortably house a Gyarados. There is a mysterious substance diffused throughout the air, water and ground that deals 3% damage per action; this damage cannot be negated or reduced in any way.

and accepted

1vs1 Single
DQ: 5 days
Damage Cap: None
Banned Moves: OHKO's
Arena: A Boat

A normal, cruise-ship-sized rowboat that is in the middle of the ocean. Oh, yeah, and it's about 50 miles away from Antarctica.

1vs1 Single
DQ: 5 days
Damage Cap: None
Banned Moves: OHKO's
Arena: A Boat

A normal, cruise-ship-sized rowboat that is in the middle of the ocean. Oh, yeah, and it's about 50 miles away from Antarctica.

Taking~

I had some difficulty coming up with a suitable battle style to use for the second round of the championship tournament. I really liked my music hall idea, but as I was typing it up, I came to the conclusion that it was just too complex for a second-round battle. After some angsting, I decided to scrap it and come up with a new idea that was simpler. I started typing it up... and it was way more complicated than the music hall one.

At that point I resigned myself to never being able to come up with a simple battle idea ever and went with the music hall setup. I thought this one was just too fun an idea to waste, though... (Unnecessary flavor in little text; there's enough to read as it is.)

2vs2 Single
DQ: 3 Days
Cap: 40%
Arena: The Hax Subway

In every region, there is one battling facility that draws the best of the best trainers to its halls, offering the toughest fights around. Though housed in diverse locations and offering up a variety of prizes, these venues all have one thing in common: the house always wins. Everyone knows this, everyone complains about it, and everyone... plays the game anyway, at least if they want that shiny choice scarf they can't find anywhere else. In Unova, that place is the Battle Subway.

When scoping out where to hold their tournament in Nimbasa City, TCoD ASB league officials were naturally drawn to the bustling hub of Unova's transportation industry and, of course, the capital of its battling scene. All in all, it seemed to have everything the league was looking for: plenty of name recognition, a ready-made audience, and all the infrastructure necessary to host a substantial number of high-energy battles. There was just one problem.

Namely, it's just not all that fun to face off against that rhydon that triggers its quick claw three times in a row and downs your entire team with horn drill. Sure, you can win sympathy points from your friends on the internet when you complain about it, but at the end of the day you're still left gathering your dispirited team together and running through fifty-something battles to get your streak back to where it was. This is a problem that the Battle Subway shares with all of its ilk, and the league wasn't about to let its tournament be ruined by the shady practices of the subway's trainers.

That's why the TCoD League demanded that if the Battle Subway wanted its business, it wasn't going to show any of its normal hating on the visiting team, oh, no. Instead, it was going to give TCoD's trainers a taste of that power, the utterly unlawful rigging that makes the subway's trainers to unholily lucky. And the Subway's officials, unwilling to let such a large contract slip through their fingers, reluctantly agreed--or at least appeared to.

In this battle, good luck is absolutely assured. Your attacks will not miss. You will get that lucky flinch, burn, or timely stat-boost. You won't have to suffer that full paralysis or terribly long sleep. Your pokémon's focus band will activate. Life is good, right? Well... almost.

Out of spite, the Battle Subway's officials have set things up so that, while your luck is assured, it is fleeting. Attacks with secondary effects will always have those effects trigger--but only the first time they occur! And yes, your prankster sableye might be able to put your opponent's pokémon to sleep instantly and without fail with hypnosis--but good luck sending it under a second time. A complete enumeration of the effects on battle are as follows:

- Attacks cannot miss. For an attack with less than 100% accuracy, its energy cost is increased by 1% for every 20% of accuracy that must be added to bring it up to 100%, rounded up (thus 3% extra energy for zap cannon, 2% for blizzard, and 1% for meteor mash). If a pokémon's accuracy is lowered, all its attacks cost 1% more energy per two levels of reduction. If a pokémon uses double team, the opponent will always miss with its next attack (unless it's something that wouldn't miss, like aerial ace), but hit with the one after that and cause the clones to fade.

- Attacks with secondary effects always have those effects trigger--but only the first time the attack is used. So, flamethrower always burns and ancientpower always raises all stats--but only the first time the attack is used. After that, there is no chance for the secondary effect to occur. Note that secondary effects only trigger if the attack successfully strikes the opponent (or the opponent's substitute), so if the opponent protects against your ancientpower, you've lost out on your opportunity to get the stat boost for the rest of the battle. All attacks with a secondary effect with less than a 100% chance of occuring cost 1% extra energy the first time they are used, regardless of whether the effect is actually gained.

- Likewise, abilities and items with a variable chance of activating always activate once, at the first opportunity, and never again.

- Sleep always lasts two actions. A pokémon can only be put to sleep once per battle. Likewise, a pokémon that becomes attracted will attract-fail twice in a row, then be cured and immune to attraction for the rest of the battle. A frozen pokémon will thaw after two actions and cannot be frozen again later.

- A confused pokémon will hurt itself at the first opportunity, then be cured of confusion and unable to be confused by an opponent for the rest of the match. Self-inflicted confusion, e.g. by petal dance, still occurs after the attack's end, but a will always hurt itself once and then snap out of it.

- A pokémon can only be flinched once per battle.

- The first move that a pokémon makes at an elevated critical hit domain (e.g. an attack like psycho cut or any attack for a pokémon with superluck) will be a critical hit and cost 2% more energy. However, a pokémon may only score one such critical hit per battle. Attacks that always cause a critical hit, like frost breath, still always cause critical hits.

- Paralysis still causes a 75% speed reduction, but a pokémon will never be "fully paralyzed," and the condition does not fade.

- A pokémon may use only one OHKO move per battle. OHKO's always hit, always deal the damage cap's worth of damage, and cost energy equal to half as much damage they deal, plus the penalty for their accuracy increase.

- Attacks with variable durations always last for their maximum duration.

- Multi-hit attacks always land the maximum number of hits as though the user had the skill link ability.

The battles take place in subway cars. At first blush there's nothing special about them: a nice spacious aisleway to accomodate the battling, rows of unwelcoming plastic chairs along each wall with rings to hold onto swinging above each. Everything in the car rocks, bounces, and sways in time with the clacking of its wheels on the track.

These battered old bits of public transportation are tougher than they appear, though--so tough, in fact, that they can survive a lickilicki's explosion with hardly a scratch. Rumor has it that, a couple of years back when a trainer's machamp managed to put dent in one of the seats, the train's janitors presented her with a trophy. These cars only look like those that run on subway tracks in other regions; in reality, they are highly portable state-of-the art battle chambers, not only able to resist the worst that powerful pokémon can throw at it, but provide any conceivable conditions they could require, from generating simulated weather to providing faux rocks for a painful stone edge attack.

I had some difficulty coming up with a suitable battle style to use for the second round of the championship tournament. I really liked my music hall idea, but as I was typing it up, I came to the conclusion that it was just too complex for a second-round battle. After some angsting, I decided to scrap it and come up with a new idea that was simpler. I started typing it up... and it was way more complicated than the music hall one.

At that point I resigned myself to never being able to come up with a simple battle idea ever and went with the music hall setup. I thought this one was just too fun an idea to waste, though... (Unnecessary flavor in little text; there's enough to read as it is.)

2vs2 Single
DQ: 3 Days
Cap: 40%
Arena: The Hax Subway

[...]
I'll take this! (I'll get a reffing up later today so that my fourth slot isn't in limbo I promise.)

For Skyman.

10vs10 single

and accepted

Taking this battle. Expect the thread up either tonight or early tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom