• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Attacks and Abilities Guide

It wasn't an egg move, it was in the coding for the Elekid family in D/P. So I suppose that would be different. But I thought I saw it on Serebii at one point. Anyway you can find discussions on the anomaly if you google volt tackle Elekid or something.

EDIT: Seventh post on this discussion

Apparently in the old Volt Tackle Bulbapedia article, presumably for 4th Gen since the current article has none of this, it says:

So I suppose that raises the question, can these Pokemon use Volt Tackle, since the coding was in the game?
And if you actually read the thread, it says that the person most likely used a cheat code to make TM01 Volt Tackle. All of the pokémon listed can learn focus punch. Tada.

Does a pokemon know what commands they're going to use in advance, or is it an action-by-action thing? Can a pokemon know the approximate energy cost of a move? That together would allow this:

Use high energy move A, then high energy move B, then high energy move C. If the combined cost of A, B, and C would be enough to make you faint, replace A with a chill. If even that would be too much, then replace C with a chill as well; the priority is getting B executed.

Because oftentimes a pokémon's moves depend on how the round unfolds, no, they can't be sure of what they're going to use in advance. Pokémon have no concept of "energy cost" or "damage" in terms of concrete numbers; they can tell when using an attack might cause them to pass out from lack of energy, and they know that it's harder to giga impact than to giga drain, but saying something like "if you go below 10% energy" is meaningless. Likewise, "if you hit the damage cap" is something they can't interpret.

The command string you proposed there won't work.

Would a robotic Pokemon be able to know their Health/Energy levels?
It would make sense that they would have some sort of HUD showing those kinds of things...

True, but I'm not always sure if some refs use whatever scale or if they'll edit the energy cost and also sometimes I'm paranoid about that sort of thing.
Oftentimes, you can outright ask the referee what damage/energy values they'd attach to given attacks.

If I tell my Pokémon to be expecting Fake Out, would it prevent the flinch as if they had already flinched a couple times and weren't falling for it anymore? Or at least nerf it so that it doesn't do any more than prevent a couple points of damage? Or is that a thing I should be asking my ref or what.

If a pokemon uses covet or thief to take an item and doesn't want the opponent to have it again, could they get rid of it in another way without using a whole action? For example, could they eat the item even if it wasn't normally intended to be edible? What about just destroying it?

EDIT: Alternatively, could they use bug bite to accomplish that?

Last edited:
Would a robotic Pokemon be able to know their Health/Energy levels?
It would make sense that they would have some sort of HUD showing those kinds of things...
No

If I tell my Pokémon to be expecting Fake Out, would it prevent the flinch as if they had already flinched a couple times and weren't falling for it anymore? Or at least nerf it so that it doesn't do any more than prevent a couple points of damage? Or is that a thing I should be asking my ref or what.
Ask your ref.

If a pokemon uses covet or thief to take an item and doesn't want the opponent to have it again, could they get rid of it in another way without using a whole action? For example, could they eat the item even if it wasn't normally intended to be edible? What about just destroying it?

EDIT: Alternatively, could they use bug bite to accomplish that?
A pokémon can (at least try to) destroy an item it's stolen, but it will take an action. Eating the item would probably work, but would take an action.

Bug bite (or pluck) can accomplish "destroying an item" without using an action insofar as it uses the target's berry, but that works for berries only.

Could a Pokemon throw their Item similar to, but without using Fling?

Would the item take affect?
A pokémon can throw an item without using fling, but if it throws it at something it won't deal as much damage as if fling had been used, and the item won't take effect.

Foresight does nothing like that in the game; it resets evasion modifiers there and in ASB as well. Maybe you're thinking mind reader for making things always hit.

Back
Top Bottom