• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

University Applications

I feel awkward posting after my last post is like... 2 above

ANYHOO
I got an offer from De Montfort for 240 UCAS points :) then I made them my insurance choice with Nottingham Trent as my firm (their offer was higher)

and in answer to how I figured out what I wanted to do: art and graphics at GCSE and AS completely crushed any inspiration and motivation I had for carrying them on and history was my next favourite subject and I've always done pretty well in it.

How did you guys figure out what you wanted to do? The fact I love my subject is complete coincidence; I more or less picked it at random out of the prospectus.

I liked to draw; my early high school years were all 'angst angst angst I don't want to work a shitty cubicle job'; art is the one thing I can stand to do all day every day and I frequently get pissed that I'm stuck doing algebra busywork when I could be improving artistically; I'm not sure what exactly convinced me that I should just go for the art thing and I'm still not convinced it's the most secure career path ever, but it's better than being all 'angst angst angst I don't want to work a shitty cubicle job'. If I'm going to work in a cubicle, it may as well be one where I can draw all day. :v

So I am suddenly quite scared that I will not get into the school I want, especially after seeing some other portfolios. I don't really even give a shit about Ringling if CCAD comes through and if all else fails SCAD'll take me, but stilll. :c I should know in the next few weeks though.

How did you guys figure out what you wanted to do? The fact I love my subject is complete coincidence; I more or less picked it at random out of the prospectus.

I've always liked French and wanted to learn it; I'm a language geek, and anything where I can study that language and use it daily as a career is very appealing. Right now, though, I tend to think more along the lines of "I'd like to major in x, what jobs can I do?" rather than "I'd like to be x when I grow up, what should I major in?" So my main options with French are teacher (which sounds less and less appealing everyday at the rate my classmates are going), interpreter/translator (which is reasonably appealing; I've heard that good interpreters can make quite a bit of money, and, though not that money really matters, that's a plus).

My second choice is physics, but I honestly don't know if I'd like to pursue this career. I've thought about double majoring in this with chemistry (I like chemistry, but not the chemistry that my current teacher is teaching D: ). Physics seems pretty attractive to me, but I could always not like it. I'm signed up for IB Physics next year, so I'll get to test it out. The only fields I can really see in this is research, which sounds cool if not nerdy. I wouldn't be a physics/chemistry teacher at all.

I'd love love love to major in art, but I always feel that my art isn't anything spectacular or anything that will get me into college. I'm still unsure about this, but I'm thinking about taking some summer classes to see if university-level art is for me.

I took law for AS and loved it enormously, and also I'm pretty much top of the class (it only contains four people but you know what I mean) whereas in my other subjects I'm just barely understanding what the hell's going on, so yeah. Law seemed the logical thing to do while I spend the next three years wondering what the hell I want to end up actually doing. Though university Law will probably utterly destroy me given how we're so ridiculously spoon-fed in A level Law.

Anyway, accepted my offers a while ago (firm: Anglia Ruskin, insurance: Southampton Solent) so now it's just sorting out accommodation and finance and then actually getting the grades. Whoo.

A friend of mine applied to a bunch of unis to do some kind of art course, and they all had interviews, and he said they were all terrible. Though my friend, while possibly the loveliest person in the world, isn't the best at talking under pressure and I think maybe he panicked a bit. But just hearing about them was pretty awful. I'm glad yours all went well :3

I wish I'd picked subjects I actually liked/was good at for A-level; I hated every moment of chem and bio, and I couldn't go back to psychology after sociology; I love it too much ):

I'm considering doing a branch-off subject of sociology, possibly something along the lines of criminology or social policy. Bleh. I'll see how it goes. Your stories are so fun to read, by the way :D

(My story would have been "I watched David Attenborough's documentaries when I was six, and decided from then on I wanted to do zoology." except when I was seventeen I realized I absolutely hated every single thing about studying biology and then it all went a bit down the pan.)

would you like some news from me?

UVa told me they made a decision as to what they want to do with me.

..but they won't tell me if i got accepted or not until april 1st.

Is it some sort of perverse humour that makes US universities send out decisions on April 1st?

I wish I had a set date at all. Both of my remaining schools are just sending out notifications as they make the decisions. :c

edit: The closest thing to an interview I had was a rather informal look-over of my portfolio for advice from one of CCAD's admissions guys. I didn't get ripped apart with criticism like I thought, but he still found plenty of stuff wrong with my work (pointed out some things like "a couple of these seem like they were sort of rushed" followed by "lol, I did that too when I was a student here!"). I got that I was "on the right track" though, whatever that means.

i don't know what inspires them to do that. oh well.. UVa is my last choice anyway. the further away i am from my parents - a couple doctor's i've visited suggest they are far too stressful - the better. UVa's only about an hour away.

Well now I have a date. Kind of.

CCAD Admissions on Facebook said:
The judges have completed the portfolio review segment of the 2010 CCAD Scholarship Competition. If you submitted a physical portfolio you can now come pick it up. Results of the competition will be mailed March 15-19.

FFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUU---

I haven't even got an acceptance/rejection D:/whatever letter yet, although from the looks of their wall posts I'm not the only one. I wanna knooooooooow!

Edit: Oh, a friend of mine got accepted to a school in the UK. Art something-or-other in Bournemouth, I think. She's really excited. :v

Last edited:
Oooh, awesome. Good luck to you (and foreign contaminant!), and tell your friend (if she doesn't know already) Bournemouth's lovely. Lots of seaside :)

Warning: the following post is going to contain large text and references to things better left unseen.

OH MY GOD I DID IT I DID IT. SHEFFIELD GAVE ME AN OFFER. IT'S STILL REALLY HIGH AND NOW I HAVE TO PUT CARDIFF AS MY INSURANCE BUT SHEFFIELD GAVE ME AN OFFER.

FUCK YES IN THE MOTHERFUCKING YES FACTORY. IF I KNEW HOW SURSKITTY MADE HER SIGNATURE SPARKLE THIS WOULD BE FULL OF SPARKLES. <3

So like the offer is: BB

:DDDD Congratulations! That's fantastic!

(now work really really really hard and get that goddamn BB, dammit)

I mean... Sheffield has trams! :D

I can get B, but the other B is a slight problem -- it's in chemistry. I CAN DO IT.

Also yeah, Sheffield is a lovely place. It doesn't even feel like a big city (and it is: it's the fourth largest in the UK) and there are four trees per person. That's not as many tpp as where I live, but I live in a forest park. ;-; must go...

I must be the only person who doesn't really like Sheffield :B TOO MANY FREAKING HILLS and I nearly got ran over once. Then again I pretty much hate the whole of South Yorkshire, the sooner I get out of here the better

also wtf it's the 4th biggest city in the UK?

Haha, one of the things that shcoked me most when I first came to Kent was how flat the landscape was. Which is an odd thing to think, given the uni campus is at the top of a great big hill, but it's only one hill, and, coming from Devon, that's like nothing.

I had no idea Sheffield had so many trees. That's awesome XD

WELL

Dundee has a statue of Dirty Dan in the town centre.

>8( BEAT THAT

(but that's great Harle <3)

Back
Top Bottom