• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

What gender is Pikachu?

What gender is Pikachu

• Male

Votes: 177 94.1%
  • Female

Votes: 11 5.9%

• Total voters
What are you talking about. That song the Meowth sings to Pikachu is pure win.

Well uh I haven't watched the anime in something like 3+ years so I have no idea what you're talking about. :V

As far as the Pikachu/Meowth thing...I have nothing to say. o.O

But for Pikachu's gender, I say male simply by the way he acts. He acts like it a little boy, and it's so cute! :3 I once wrote a horrible one-shot that involved Pikachu being female, and it ended up as a pile of epic fail. >_<

So another for male!

Male. Does anyone remember the song, "Pikachu, I Choose You"? It said,

I choose you
Because you are my brother

Also, Pikachu has been referred as a 'he' many a time, so, yes, male.

Yeah, but the dub does horrible things like change genders (like that guy in the Raikou special - I found that the funniest thing ever) and throw in non-canonical songs for the hell of it (Misty's Song whyyy?).

Oh, then should this be what gender Pikachu is in the Dub?

According to the mail section of Pokémon.com, if I recall correctly, Pikachu is an it :3

Well, I'm going to have to say male, if you refer to pokemon Diamond/Pearl, where male Pikachu's have tails similar to the Pikachu that we are talking about.

Male since...
pikachubunearysz0.jpg

Mimirol (Buneary) has a crush on Pikachu! Isn't it adorable? ^^;

Can you say transvesitite Buneary? :D

And DP sprites mean nothing in the anime, so stop saying that. >.<

Pikachu's gender is actually unconfirmed. It's voice actress Ikue Ootani, and Satoshi Tajiri said that they have not yet decided it’s gender. Therefore meaning there's a possibility of it being a female. If you believe Pikachu has no chance of being female because of the keywords: always acted masculine, Buneary, and the tail.

Q&A section:

Response 1. Pikachu never acted feminine ever!

- Here are some very interesting frames of Pikachu dancing with a Raichu
http://img187.imageshack.us/img187/9274/raipikadx9.png
Ironically enough, some of this scene was in the Pikachu (I Choose You) video.

"Pikachu!
You know there is no other...
I choose you!
Because you are my brother..."
^Yup, doesn't get any brotherly that this.

- In the old episodes, Pikachu had more of a motherly/sisterly relationship with Togepi than a fatherly/brotherly. The same with other young Pokemon like the Pichu Bros. and Hapinny
If Pikachu had no possibility being a girl, why would they bother to give it female roles?

Response 2. Pikachu isn't a girl because it doesn't have an indent on its tail!

- Please stop using this to back up Pikachu being male... Ash's Pikachu is from the Kanto region, not Sinnoh. Those differences don't apply to the previous regions. Even if Pikachu was male, it wouldn't be because of its tail, it would be because Pikachu's design was based of the original design of the species.

Response 3. Dawn's Buneary has a crush on Pikachu and Dawn has even confirmed it to being a girl. So that means Pikachu is a guy!

- Actually, Buneary's gender is unconfirmed as well. Buneary has a possibility of being male no matter how girly it may act. As long as its gender isn't confirmed it is still possible. For all we know, boy Buneary could be in the same catagory as male Jigglypuff, Wigglytuff, Bellossom, and Clefairy: girly-acting regardless of their true gender. This also goes for other manly looking Pokemon who can be female: masculine-acting regardless of their true genders. There are female Machokes but we wouldn't be able to tell them from the males. They all act and look exactly the same.

(Despite the fact that Buneary's gender isn't confirmed, for some reason the dub has confirmed it as a female.)

In conclusion, there's nothing wrong about thinking Pikachu is a boy and Buneary is a girl (That's your personally opinion) There is no actually proof for them being either gender. The only proof we have is the possibility of them being whichever. For Pikachu, we have male AND female hints. Unless their genders are officially announced or verbally stated in the original version.

Q&A section:

Response 1. Pikachu never acted feminine ever!

- Here are some very interesting frames of Pikachu dancing with a Raichu
http://img187.imageshack.us/img187/9274/raipikadx9.png
Ironically enough, some of this scene was in the Pikachu (I Choose You) video.

For some reason I could only think of Brick House when I saw that picture

Anyway, I would say "Are you guys kidding, it's a kid's cartoon, if a Buneary that wears a dress has a crush on Pikachu that means it's a boy", but... this is Japan we're talking about. In the same anime where a man gets giant inflatable breasts in one episode.
This is a real toughie. >:I I've always considered it male though. There was that one episode where Pikachu was all over that tiny Pikachu with the high-pitch voice that wore that pink flower (did it wear a pink flower in the anime? maybe I'm thinking of the adaptation in the Pikachu Shocks Back manga) and almost left Ash over it... anybody remember that one?

Back
Top Bottom