• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Tazers

There is nothing wrong with tazers, it's the police officers that are bad, I heard on the news of a police officer who tazed a pregnant lady repeatedly, leaving burn marks all over her stomach and back, that made me angry, I mean, what the hell, she was freaking pregnant.
But I suppose this topic is about tazers, not retarded asshole cops :V
Ugh, the school security guards at my school have tazers, and guns that shoot rubber bullets o.o I am freaking afraid of getting in trouble D: But if you get a tazer, you have to be shocked by it before you can use it, so you know how much it freaking hurts and know when to stop (If you ask Joe, the awesome security guard, he will show you the video of him being tazered X3)

The comic's basically saying that there's no real need for anyone to have a gun; unless you're assassinating people, killing animals, etc. you don't really need one.

Then why does the government need them? Are we really that much of a threat to them that they need guns to keep us under control? I might as well be kissing Big Brother's ass, because as long as they have firepower and we don't, we're fucked.

On another note, I think this is a better form of law enforcement. Everyone can agree with it, and no one gets hurt.

Then why does the government need them? Are we really that much of a threat to them that they need guns to keep us under control?

Not necessarily a threat to 'them' but people can be a fairly deadly threat to each other. Not to mention the average policeman on the street (in England at the very least) carries a truncheon rather than a firearm with them, if I remember correctly. Firearms are reserved for special parts of the police that deal with more dangerous cases.

And then the military needs them because other armies have them and the general reasoning is that it's better to be safe than sorry.

On another note, I think this is a better form of law enforcement. Everyone can agree with it, and no one gets hurt.

That could offend vegetarians, though :<

Not necessarily a threat to 'them' but people can be a fairly deadly threat to each other. Not to mention the average policeman on the street (in England at the very least) carries a truncheon rather than a firearm with them, if I remember correctly. Firearms are reserved for special parts of the police that deal with more dangerous cases.

Most officers in the United States carry a firearm with them. I have rarely seen a pig with a taser, although I assume they have them. The officer at my school, for example, carries a gun at all times. I suppose it creates fear towards the police, knowing they have a gun. Tasers don't do that...And I'd much rather our officers using truncheons than firearms, because it'll make them look like they're protecting us, not controlling us.

So tossing a computer and table to the ground out of aggravation (not intending to hurt anyone, either) is a good excuse to taser him five frigging times.

yeah ok

Did I say that? No. The post I quoted said hat it wasn't a taser opportunity. Not that they shouldn't have tasered him five times.

I agree with the majority -- tasers are definitely preferable to guns, but they ought to be used properly and not abused. As others mentioned, better police training might combat this abuse. Also, perhaps we should try to somehow determine if a potential policeman is a sadist before we give him weapons? :3

There are no guns in my house and I don't feel unsafe. I'm not afraid of the government somehow using this fact to control me. If someone were to break into my house and there were a gun in here, the intruder would probably be as likely to get to the gun first as I would.

Either it's a tazer or a gun. Honestly if i were a cop that felt thretened, id rather use a taser than a gun because who want to risk a human life, even if its a drunk one try to attack you?

Most officers in the United States carry a firearm with them. I have rarely seen a pig with a taser, although I assume they have them. The officer at my school, for example, carries a gun at all times. I suppose it creates fear towards the police, knowing they have a gun. Tasers don't do that...And I'd much rather our officers using truncheons than firearms, because it'll make them look like they're protecting us, not controlling us.

O.O You have someone who carries a gun at your school? Christ.

The only place I've ever seen armed police officers in the UK is around "sensitive" areas of London, like outside Parliment. And even then they just have them slung around a shoulder strap; I can't remember from when I went to the States, but my best friend said that over there, at places like airport security, the armed officers actively point the guns at people. I just can't get over the idea that stuff like that's supposed to make people feel safe.

It always shocks me when I'm watching telly programmes from the States how ready the police officers/other law enforcement agents always seem to be to not only pull a gun, but fire it at suspects. I'm aware that TV dramatises everything and it's probably not actually like that, but it just seems so normalised.

(cultural example time!) Compare 24 (a US show set around a counter-terrorism unit) with Spooks (a British show about MI5 agents); in season 4 of 24 the lead character Jack Bauer shoots 44 people dead, compared to Tom Quinn, the protagonist of Spooks, who shoots at 2 people in the space of the first two seasons, killing neither.

Aaaand I managed to make this post without mentioning tasers once. Get me.

Normally, normally, I'd go and pull up lots of statistics from reliable websites pertaining to the number of violent police deaths per year caused by the people they're chasing having deadly weapons. I might even pull up the number of firearm related deaths per year and compare it to the number of tazer-related deaths since their introduction.

But then, it's early morning and this isn't a serious debate anyway, so I thought 'screw it. They're getting an opinion which isn't backed up by reliable media'.

My opinion on the matter: I think the regulations surrounding tazer use should be tightened, but they shouldn't be banned.

I can't remember from when I went to the States, but my best friend said that over there, at places like airport security, the armed officers actively point the guns at people.
Where the fuck have they gone? I've been all over the continental US and I have never seen this. A lot of airport security isn't even armed.

Yeah, that's definitely illegal. There's no way officers should be doing that.

My school officer does carry a gun, too, by the way. Not that I really mind - she's one of the nicest people in the world and is fun to talk to. :D

The problem is that lots of police officers use them on everything like they're toys but getting tazered is excruciatingly painful.
So yeah sure let them keep them but make sure they don't fuck around with those things.

I agree. From what ive seen, police officers can be real dicks sometimes.

Back
Top Bottom