• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Lord of the Fireflies vs. Coloursfall

M&F

tikitok
Pronoun
any
3 vs. 3 singles
Style: Set
DQ: Five Days
Damage Cap: 30%
Banned Moves: All moves that would instantly faint a battler, Attract, Evasion, Direct Healings limited to 1 /pokémon, Chills limited to 3 /pokémon, Pain Split can only be used if the target is the first opponent the user encounters, and counts towards the direct healing limit. Finally, all Pokémon have access to the moves Snore and Sleep Talk.

Arena: Professor Lab

Who's the said professor is not really important. It is a generic Professor Lab were starters are given away and where new trainers begin their journey to become the new Pokémon Champion, then register on Smogon and realize they suck and have their dreams shattered. Oh well. Said Professor (Actually let's just call him Prof. Said) left his town and lab for two trainers to battle, and he might regret it but anyways a bit of reconstruction work is a fart for the Almighty Prof. Said.

Anyways, the battle will take place outside the lab, because we want every move working, you know (There's also a stream for Surfing convenient isn't it). Since starter Pokémon will feel quite at home here, all attacks that match their type have their damage boosted by 2% after all calculations for 2% less energy. Besides that it's pretty much it.

Others: Pokémon at their lowest form of evolution only (Single-stagers are banned). First out must be pure Grass-type, second out must be pure Fire-type and third out must be *drumrolls* pure Water-type.

Lord of the Fireflies' usable active squad:
- Shinrin (Male Treecko - Overgrow - @Expert Belt)
- Kazan (Male Chimchar - Blaze - @Rocky Helmet)
- Kaitei (Male Oshawott - Torrent - @Muscle Band)

Coloursfall's usable active squad:
- Kin (Female Shroomish - Poison Heal - @Toxic Orb)
- Fu (Male Growlithe - Intimidate - @Fire Stone)
- Jacob (Male Squirtle - Torrent)

(not sure whether I should permit sendouts from the inactive squad; the difference would be minimal, but if I am, let me know)

The Sterling pounds do believe:
- Coloursfall sends out first
- Lord of the Fireflies sends out, then issues commands
- Coloursfall issues commands
- I bloody ref

Alright, take the stage Shinrin.

Start by quickly climbing atop the roof of the Lab. Once there, you should be able to limit a bunch of her possible moves, as she won't be able to follow you (go go adhesive feet :D) as well as reduce the accuracy of her projectile moves while not hindering yours, since you're above her. Once there, set up a quick Safeguard, unless she tries to Snatch it - if she does, reward her with a nice Dragonbreath in the face.

On the second action, set up a Safeguard if it's not done already and use Swords Dance otherwise. Again, if she tries any Snatching, fend her off with an attack - a Bullet Seed should do.

Finally, use Aerial Ace as you jump down from the roof (hopefully the superior height should give it an extra oomph). If If she tries to Counter you, or uses Spore (or Stun Spore) and you still don't have that Safeguard up, burn the spore away and hit her with a Dragonbreath. If she tries to Protect or Detect, use Swords Dance.

Remember that at any time after you attack during the first and second action, try to subtract yourself from her eyesight by moving towards the center of the roof rather than the edges. Of course, when it's the time for you to move, you can crawl out if it's a projectile attack - but hide back as soon as it's done.

Climb on the roof and Safeguard / Dragonbreath ~ Safeguard / Swords Dance / Bullet Seed ~ Aerial Ace / Dragonbreath / Swords Dance

Last edited:
(Kin is female >:T)

Anyway my sweet, start by trying to toss him off the roof with a never-miss Natural Gift, since you have no sig - throw out two, then wait for him to jump down before throwing a Sludge Bomb in his face.

Natural Gift ~ Natural Gift ~ Sludge Bomb

3 vs. 3 singles
Banned Moves: All moves that would instantly faint a battler, Attract, Evasion, Direct Healings limited to 1 /pokémon, Chills limited to 3 /pokémon, Pain Split can only be used if the target is the first opponent the user encounters, and counts towards the direct healing limit. Finally, all Pokémon have access to the moves Snore and Sleep Talk.
Others: Pokémon at their lowest form of evolution only (Single-stagers are banned). First out must be pure Grass-type, second out must be pure Fire-type and third out must be *drumrolls* pure Water-type.

Round 1

Lord of the Fireflies (OOO)
Currently out: Shirin
Treecko
Male Treecko
Ability: Overgrow
Item: Expert Belt
Health: 100%
Energy: 100%
Condition: Pondering existance.
Commands: Safeguard/Dragonbreath (Climb lab) ~ Swords Dance/Safeguard/Dragonbreath ~ Aerial Ace/Dragonbreath/Swords Dance

Coloursfall (OOO)
Currently out: Kin
Shroomish
Female Shroomish
Ability: Poison Heal
Item: Toxic Orb
Health: 100%
Energy: 100%
Condition: Checking his opponent out curiously.
Commands: Natural Gift ~ Natural Gift ~ Sludge Bomb

Who's the said professor is not really important. It is a generic Professor Lab were starters are given away and where new trainers begin their journey to become the new Pokémon Champion, then register on Smogon and realize they suck and have their dreams shattered. Oh well. Said Professor (Actually let's just call him Prof. Said) left his town and lab for two trainers to battle, and he might regret it but anyways a bit of reconstruction work is a fart for the Almighty Prof. Said.

Anyways, the battle will take place outside the lab, because we want every move working, you know (There's also a stream for Surfing convenient isn't it). Since starter Pokémon will feel quite at home here, all attacks that match their type have their damage boosted by 2% after all calculations for 2% less energy. Besides that it's pretty much it.
Arena status: Unchanged.

-----​

As crowds of young children petered out of the laboratory, three professionals in the area these children only began to crawl into gathered. Having picked a less busy time to minimize kid violence hazards, they noticed that the area gradually widened directly in front of the Pokémon research laboratory.

Earlier, one Professor Said allowed the battlers to mess around by his lab, so as long as the damage doesn't go further than what he can fix in a fart's worth in days. For those who will casually wreck cities whole in their duels, this was a tad limiting. But acceptable nonetheless. Said's definition of a fart's worth would surely be quite liberal, anyhow.

This being a place strongly connected to starters, the battlers decided to give their showdown a bit of a thematic. Namely, a restriction on what type of Pokémon can be sent out when. Considering their active squads, this left room for very little surprise (actually, no surprise whatsoever) on the initial draw.

Coloursfall released a small, roughly round Pokémon with what seemed to be a dull brown patch of skin spreading out over another stretch of skin, the one underneath being forest green. Lord of the Fireflies' response was a bipedal, vivid green gecko with a sash hung around the waist.

At the referee's signal, the battle began.

Shirin let out a sigh. It all felt so pointless. And yet, as always, doing it for long enough would likely suffice at keeping his mind out of it. With a burst of speed, he began to work his way up the walls of the laboratory -- a very extense road for one of his size, but at least eased by his natural climbing devices.

Once he was up there, however, he was quickly reminded not to let an opponent ever have his back for too long, as he was immediately struck by a ray of energy. Thankfully, the trajectory flung him into the roof instead of straight out of it, so, he didn't get thrown for a painful crash. In fact, it was all the more a prompt to march further into the high ground, so as to prevent another such blast from landing.

Feeling safer, he began to work on his own energy tricks; namely, he set up a protective veil around himself with it. It wouldn't outright prevent attacks, but it would nicely prevent a series of rough states.

Little did he know, the heightened standing would not protect him from the life-tracking Natural Gift. All of a sudden, it popped right out from beneath the roof -- a clear display that property damage had begun early this match -- for a straight jab across the side, knocking him off balance again.

The Treecko could tell, at this point, that eluding his enemy wouldn't be so eternally simple. Maybe that could be adressed later; his next command appropriately traded off the caution for effective offence. He moved back to the edge of the roof and, with a deep breath, took a leap of faith, spinning his tail in the air as he did.

It was an overwhelming success. The straight overhead blow struck Kin hard enough that she was dunked into the grass; the upwards follow-up pound was almost a formality after that one. Of course, his tail wasn't spared a degree of recoil from the massive impact, but it was minor enough that he could completely ignore it.

In no way appreaciating the humiliating hit, the Shroomish quickly tried to regain dominance over the match with a powerful counterattack. She munched up some of the grass that she was now completely surrounded by, and then let her Toxic Orb roll down from atop her head and gave it a lick. This, coupled with a few other chemicals, formed an effective chemical "capsule", with a minor explosive for an outer layer and a toxin for a core.

The mushroom Pokémon spat the horrible blob with high propulsion right into her foe's underarm. While the veil around him prevented any extensive poisoning, the burst and the skin contact were enough to cause at least a rash and major discomfort.

After that last blow, Coloursfall's sendout remembered to set into motion one thing her trainer had taught her. While the nasty substance oozed out by the Toxic Orb was still terrible to her taste, it was actually great for her unusual bodily systems. So, she reached out to give it a taste... But could only briefly touch it before the end of round was called.

Round 1 – End

Treecko
Male Treecko
Health: 72%
Energy: 88%
Status: Under effects of Safeguard (6 more actions). 1 Direct Healing move left, 3 Chills left.
Condition: Utterly puzzled by that last attack.
Performed: Climb Lab ~ Safeguard ~ Aerial Ace

Coloursfall (OOO)
Shroomish
Female Shroomish
Health: 83%
Energy: 85%
Status: Poisoned (Badly). 1 Direct Healing move left, 3 Chills left.
Condition: Rubbing her tongue on the ground.
Performed: Natural Gift ~ Natural Gift ~ Sludge Bomb​

Additional notes:
- I figured climbing the lab AND using Safeguard in one action wouldn't be exactly possible; a normal house would be at the very least four times as tall as a Treecko, let alone a laboratory, which wouldn't make it a fast climb.
- Question: the damage/energy bonuses described in the arena go only for starters, or for any Pokémon?
- Coloursfall attacks first next round.

yes good

Keep whacking at him with Sludge Bomb if he's close, Natural Gift if he's not. If he protects/detects/you cannot attack him for any reason, give a Swords Dance.

Sludge Bomb/Natural Gift/Swords Dance x 3

Start with a Grasswhistle, then another if the first one didn't work. Use Swords Dance on the second action otherwise, and finish by a delayed Endeavor regardless of what happened.

Grasswhistle ~ Grasswhistle / Swords Dance ~ Endeavor (wait)

3 vs. 3 singles

Round 2

Treecko
Male Treecko
Health: 72%
Energy: 88%
Status: Under effects of Safeguard (6 more actions). 1 Direct Healing move left, 3 Chills left.
Condition: Utterly puzzled by that last attack.
Commands: Grasswhistle ~ Grasswhistle/Swords Dance ~ Endeavor (Wait)

Coloursfall (OOO)
Shroomish
Female Shroomish
Health: 83%
Energy: 85%
Status: Poisoned (Badly). 1 Direct Healing move left, 3 Chills left.
Condition: Rubbing her tongue on the ground.
Commands: Sludge Bomb/Natural Gift/Swords Dance ~ Sludge Bomb/Natural Gift/Swords Dance ~ Sludge Bomb/Natural Gift/Swords Dance

-----​

The trainers both smirked -- although for different reasons -- after issuing commands as the second round began.

Shirin, always quick to the chase, ripped a few grass blades from the ground and shaped them into a makeshift instrument. After crying LET ME PLAY YOU THE SONG OF MY PEOPLE, he began blowing into the leaf flute, producing a calming, soothing melody.

Kin wasn't in the mood for that, however. The terrible taste of the Toxic Orb lingered on in her mouth, and she was supposed to keep licking up the damn thing. Ew. Wanting for the damn reptile to just cut that shit out already, she produced a Sludge Bomb, as the one in the previous round, but instead of just clumsily firing it at the side, she aimed carefully and, with a hop, spat it right into the bullseye. Or rather, the geckoseye.

The poison all over his face may have daunted and distracted him for a few moments, but the Treecko was led by the power of music and continued to play in spite of the terrible pain. For his opponent, that was getting so infernally boring, she fell right asleep, little realizing that this was always the intention.

Tossing aside the Grasswhistle, Shirin rubbed his front paws together as he prepared for what was the whole plan. No longer did he ignore his burning eyes; instead, he actually took a bit of time to brace up for every sting of pain he'd been feeling, and then, with one insane frontflip, he delivered a two-handed blow of vicious force upside the enemy's head(/torso), causing her to drop over, still asleep but clearly having felt the impact.

The Shroomish took upon a red aura as the end of the round was signaled.

Round 2 – End

Treecko
Male Treecko
Health: 49%
Energy: 56%
Status: Under effects of Safeguard (3 more actions). 1 Direct Healing move left, 3 Chills left.
Condition: Looking worse than Steven Tyler after the slipup, but grinning.
Performed: Grasswhistle (Missed) ~ Grasswhistle ~ Endeavor

Coloursfall (OOO)
Shroomish
Female Shroomish
Health: 59%
Energy: 80%
Status: Poisoned (Badly), Asleep (Moderate). 1 Direct Healing move left, 3 Chills left.
Condition: Knocked over.
Performed: Sludge Bomb (critical) ~ fast asleep ~ fast asleep​

Additional notes:
- Sludge Bomb rolled both poison AND critical. Although the former didn't make it through the Safeguard.
- That last Endeavor caused Kin to hit the damage cap.
- Lord of the Fireflies attacks first next round.

Swords Dance, then Drain Punch twice. If she attempts to Snatch your Swords Dance, reward her with an Aerial Ace, I guess. If she tries to Counter your punches, use a Swords Dance instead. If she Protects / Detects, use Swords Dance also. If she has Double Team clones, use Aerial Ace.

Swords Dance / Aerial Ace ~ Drain Punch / Swords Dance / Aerial Ace x2

Last edited:
SHE. Kin is a SHE gdi.

anyway.

Sleep Talk as long as you are sleepin', then when you wake up, Synthesis, followed by SLUDGE EXPLOSIONS FOR EVERYONE. Or just default to sludge bomb if you're awake and can't do anything else, whatevs.

Sleep Talk/Synthesis ~ Sleep Talk/Sludge Bomb/Synthesis ~ Sleep Talk/Sludge Bomb/Synthesis

herp derp editing

Also, a question for Metallica Fanboy: How come I have 25% less energy than Kin while I only used weak attacks and status moves, while she abused high-powered non-stabbed sludge bombs and natural gifts? Maybe there's a part I just don't get, but I just want to verify.

herp derp editing

Also, a question for Metallica Fanboy: How come I have 25% less energy than Kin while I only used weak attacks and status moves, while she abused high-powered non-stabbed sludge bombs and natural gifts? Maybe there's a part I just don't get, but I just want to verify.
That's illegal; you don't get to edit your commands after your opponent posts.

Also, try the fact that you just used Endeavor, which costs 26% at 49% health, whereas Kin spent the last two actions not using anything.

Well, gender editing can't be that harmful... I swear I didn't do anything else.

And alright, I didn't know Endeavor was that tiring, thanks for answering.
Ah, that's fine. It's only bad if the commands get altered.

It costs half the damage it causes. It would probably have cost a considerable tad less were it not for the Sludge Bomb's critical hitting.

oh hey I just noticed the Treecko is referred as Shirin, whereas it should be Shinrin (with an "n"). No big deal, though.
I think I saw it be referred to as "Shirin" someplace. Regardless, I'll fix it up later.

3 vs. 3 singles

Round 3

Currently out: Shinrin
Treecko
Male Treecko
Health: 49%
Energy: 56%
Status: Under effects of Safeguard (3 more actions). 1 Direct Healing move left, 3 Chills left.
Condition: Looking worse than Steven Tyler after the slipup, but grinning.
Commands: Swords Dance/Aerial Ace ~ Drain Punch/Swords Dance/Aerial Ace ~ Drain Punch/Swords Dance/Aerial Ace

Coloursfall (OOO)
Shroomish
Female Shroomish
Health: 59%
Energy: 80%
Status: Poisoned (Badly), Asleep (Moderate). 1 Direct Healing move left, 3 Chills left.
Condition: Knocked over.
Commands: Sleep Talk/Synthesis ~ Sleep Talk/Synthesis/Sludge Bomb ~ Sleep Talk/Synthesis/Sludge Bomb

-----​

The command round had a share of minor bickering over a letter or two ("s" and "n", to be precise), but the orders were given anyhow.

Still feeling a rush from the savage attack previously, Shinrin followed the SONG OF HIS PEOPLE with the DANCE OF HIS PEOPLE, featuring many power poses that got him pumped and ready for action.

As though to steal away the agitation, however, Kin started to siphon away her opponent's vitality through Grass-type energy, as signaled by the two battlers glowing green, and by the yellowish orbs floating from target to attacker.

The Treecko would steal it right back, however. With a warcry, he dashed and fired a straight punch, letting a surge of Fighting-type energy snatch the goblets of lifeforce back. After attacking, he could hear his foe mutter something. She proceeded to wiggle her body, letting loose a cloud of toxic spores. None of them could pass through the Safeguard barrier, however.

While he was still in range, the gecko Pokémon quickly threw a second Drain Punch, feeling satisfied as the restored vitality flowed in. He backed away after that, aware that his enemy would be muttering up another attack.

The distancing didn't do much, however. The Shroomish's mouth threw open at first, as though to yawn... And then it began firing a stream of seeds rapidly. At first, the Grass-type starter scoffed at it, finding it to be a minor annoyance at worst; however, as the flow of pettling continued relentlessly, it started to hurt. And then one of the seeds got into the eye that didn't get hit by Sludge Bomb before.

After it was over, Shinrin gazed upon the seeds around the ground and was pretty sure there were more around than what could conceivably fit into a Shroomish.

Round 3 – End

Currently out: Shinrin
Treecko
Male Treecko
Health: 38%
Energy: 37%
Status: 2+ Attack. 1 Direct Healing move left, 3 Chills left.
Condition: Seeds. EVERYWHERE.
Performed: Swords Dance ~ Drain Punch ~ Drain Punch

Coloursfall (OOO)
Shroomish
Female Shroomish
Health: 52%
Energy: 69%
Condition: Probably having rather simplistic dreams.
Performed: Sleep Talk (Giga Drain) ~ Sleep Talk (PoisonPowder) ~ Sleep Talk (Bullet Seed; Critical)​

Arena status: There are seeds all over the ground.

Additional notes:
- Sleep Talk rolled the following moves: Giga Drain, PoisonPowder and Bullet Seed.
- Bullet Seed hit five times. The fourth one was a critical hit.
- Safeguard petered out after the last action.
- Coloursfall attacks first next round.

Last edited:
LET'S TRY THAT AGAIN

Sleep talk, Synthesis, then sludge bomb, just like last time.

Sleep Talk/Synthesis ~ Sleep Talk/Sludge Bomb/Synthesis ~ Sleep Talk/Sludge Bomb/Synthesis

Yay, reffings :D

Anyways, I'd hate to be an annoyance, but how could Kin be at only 7% health left after being hit by two Swords Danced Drain Punches? I know Poison Heal restores 2%, and Giga Drain perhaps 4% max, but...

Am I missing something? D:

EDIT: And how could Kin only use 5% energy for three sleep talks somebody help am i seeing things

Yay, reffings :D

Anyways, I'd hate to be an annoyance, but how could Kin be at only 7% health left after being hit by two Swords Danced Drain Punches? I know Poison Heal restores 2%, and Giga Drain perhaps 4% max, but...

Am I missing something? D:

EDIT: And how could Kin only use 5% energy for three sleep talks somebody help am i seeing things
Poison Heal restores 2% per action, which is a net gain of 6% per round. Unless I'm seeing things, of course.

Also, now that you mention it, I think I screwed up the cost for Bullet Seed. I'll get back to that.

EDIT: Dealt with.

Wow sorry for a minute I couldn't count :P

Alright, try a Screech (wait for her to move before, we don't want to wake her up), followed by two Drain Punches on energy. On the last action, wait for her to move again and try a Giga Drain if you are in Overgrow range, but another Drain Punch if you are not. Both on energy >:D

Screech(wait) ~ Drain Punch(energy) ~ Giga Drain(wait, energy) / Drain Punch(wait, energy)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom