• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Denryu vs. Whirlpool

The Omskivar

chah, dude
>:( Third times the charm I guess. I refuse to give up on this arena.

3 vs. 3 Single
Set Style
1 week DQ Time
45% Damage Cap
Banned Moves: OHKOs, Direct Healing moves, Weather Moves, Chills limited to 3/Pokemon
Arena: The Lost Desert

The Lost Desert is exactly as it says. Lost. No-one knows exactly where it is, what its name is, or how large it is. The trainers and the referee came upon the spot while expecting to end up in some vacation spot. Being so far from civilization that a rescue vehicle would take forever to get there, the trainers have decided to have a battle to pass the time.

The desert itself isn't very spectacular. It is simply dune after dune after dune of endless sand, stretching off towards the horizon. Of course, Pokemon are limited to one area that is about 10 metres by 10 metres for the fight. Just off to the right of the center of the area is a small oasis. A lone palm tree stands on a grassy knoll surrounded by a ring of water large enough to allow most water-types to move around freely.

Because the battlers are fighting in an extremely hot desert, all but the following Pokemon will use 1.5x more energy than they normally would: Sandshrew, Cacnea, Trapinch, Vibrava, Baltoy, Hippopotas, Skorupi, Sandile, Darumaka, Scraggy, and Dwebble. The arena also starts under the effects of Sunny Day, However, at the end of every round there is a 25% chance that the weather will change between being sunny and being in a sandstorm.

At the beginning of every round one of the following Pokemon will show up at the spot, remaining until the end of the round. Realizing that a battle is in progress, the Pokemon will only act if hit by an attack (this could be an attack that misses or an attack that hits all opponents). The Pokemon that can appear are as follows:

25% chance: Sandshrew, which will use Slash
25% chance: Sandile, which will use Crunch
15% chance: Hippopotas, which will use Sand Tomb
15% chance: Maractus, which will use Petal Dance
10% chance: Vibrava, which will use Dragonbreath
5% chance: Sigilyph, which will use Air Slash or Psybeam (50% chance for each)
5% chance: Darmanitan, which will use Flare Blitz or Hammer Arm (50% chance for each)

Additional Rules: Fully Evolved Pokemon are banned

Denryu's Active Squad

Caber the Male Gurdurr
Ability: Sheer Force
Item: Black Belt

Hohner the Male Chingling
Ability: Levitate
Item: Soothe Bell

Iron Tooth the Male Axew
Ability: Rivalry
Item: Lucky Egg
Move Modification: Elemental Bane

Preveza the Female Horsea
Ability: Sniper
Item: Dragon Scale

Chelsae the Female Skorupi
Item: Razor Claw

Doppelgäng'd the Male Mareep
Ability: Static

Ra Viksmo the Male Darumaka
Ability: Hustle

Constantine the Male Piplup
Ability: Torrent
Item: Lucky Egg

Zorrilla the Female Alrunnik
Ability: Stench
Item: King's Rock

Gemini the Unknown Klink
Ability: Minus

Whirlpool'S Active Squad

Shelly the Female Shellos
Ability: Sticky Hold
Item: Water Stone
Body Modification: Of the Sea

Wisp the Male Haunter
Ability: Levitate

Draco the Male Deino
Ability: Hustle
Body Modification: Echolocation

Earthdrake the Male Trapinch
Ability: Hyper Cutter

Spiderweb the Female Joltik
Ability: Compoundeyes

Sharplight the Male Ralts
Ability: Synchronize

Snowshake the Female Vanillite
Ability: Ice Body

Snowveil the Female Swinub
Ability: Snow Cloak

Stingstab the Male Skorupi

Scarlet the Female Sandile
Ability: Intimidate

Next Round
-Denryu sends out
-Whirlpool sends out and attacks
-Denryu attacks
-I ref (and hope that Alrunnik isn't a bitch to ref because lsalksdjghsaldkjgh fakemon)

While same-Pokémon battles are pretty awesome, it feels like a Trapinch day today.

Trap yourself in a Rock Tomb, then go ahead and Sub (15%) up; follow with a Focus Energy. Unless you can't create that barrier because there's only sand, in which case Dig down and follow your other commands. If you're Taunted, spam Bulldoze; if she Protects on the second or third action while you're Taunted, take out your anger with Feint.

Rock Tomb/Dig (down)/Bulldoze ~ Substitute (15%)/Bulldoze/Feint ~ Focus Energy/Bulldoze/Feint

this probably has so many loopholes

Last edited:
Alright Chelsae, let's try and mess with them. Don't worry about him using Rock Tomb, the arena description specifically says "dune after dune after dune of endless sand".

You have an easy speed advantage, so start off by scuttling up and grabbing on to him with your claws as hard as possible, not letting go for the entire round. Next up use Aqua Tail if you're able to swing your tail around and hit him. If you can't, just use Bug Bite. Same on the third action. If he manages to escape your grasp and gets underground, Swords Dance for the rest of the round.

Grab on ~ Aqua Tail/Bug Bite/Swords Dance x2

Just posting to let you two know that I'm expecting to have this reffing done within a few days. My mom's making me do useful things while I'm staying at her house on top of the steady stream of homework I've had for about a week now. I haven't forgotten abotu it, I'm just a bit swamped IRL at the mo.

The two Trainers threw out their Pokeballs, revealing a Skorupi and a Trapinch. Both Pokemon enjoyed the sand for a few moments as they listened to their Trainers' commands and the referee attempted in vain to pitch a protective tent.

Skorupi
Chelsae (Female)
Health: 100%
Energy: 100%

Trapinch
Earthdrake (Male)
Energy: 100%

ROUND ONE BEGIN
A Sandshrew poked its head out from the sand next to a cactus. Seeing the two other Pokemon, it toddled over to watch them curiously. Chelsae noticed it and eyed it for a moment, then remembered her commands just in time. As Earthdrake realized the futility of attempting to summon rocks from this sand, he quickly dug an escape route big enough for it and its future substitute; just before he could disappear through it, Chelsae scampered over and dug her claws into his tough outer shell. It didn't hurt at all, but the Skorupi had stabbed far enough into Earthdrake that she was carried down the hole with him.

Stopping about six feet beneath the dunes, Earthdrake attempted to shake off the perpetrator, but she just smirked and whipped her tail in circles before bringing it crashing down on Earthdrake's head with all the force of a tidal wave. Water from hammerspace showered the tunnel, though not enough to flood it. The Trapinch cried out sharply, then shook himself off and scooped up some sand, molding it into his own likeness. It was shoddy craftsmanship, but it would do the trick; Earthdrake breathed some life into his creation, which sprang forward and shattered instantly against the force of a second Aqua Tail. Earthdrake took this small window of opportunity to look his opponent over. Which parts of her body were the most vulnerable? Which parts did she subconsciously protect? After a bit of thinking, Earthdrake thinks he's got it down, as the ref blows his whistle and signals the end of the round.

The Sandshrew cocks its head, wondering where its new friends went. After a few moments, it burrows away.

ROUND ONE FINISH

TEAM DENRYU
OOO
Skorupi
Chelsae (Female)
Energy: 82%

TEAM WHIRLPOOL
OOO
Trapinch
Earthdrake (Male)
Health: 77%
Energy: 85%

Calculations
Latch on- 2% energy
Dig- 6% energy
Aqua Tail- 13% damage, 8% energy
Substitute- 10% health, 5% energy
Aqua Tail- 13% damage, 8% energy
Focus Energy- 3% energy

Notes
-Trapinch knew it would be making a Sub, so it accounted for that when digging. Skorupi and Trapinch are close enough to the same size that if there was room for a second Trapinch, there was room for both the Skorupi and the swinging of a tail.
-The weather is still Sunny Day, but it did not reach underground; thus, Aqua Tail was unaffected.
-This round, a Sandshrew was derping around on the dunes.
-No crits from the Razor Claw.
-Denryu attacks next.

I...don't understand how a Skorupi would be long and/or flexible enough to swing its tail to where its head is?

Unless I'm missing something about Skorupi's length or scorpion anatomy.

Edit: Oh, ignore me. Never mind.

Last edited:
Wow, massive arithmetic fail on my part >.< I was getting 100 - 10 - 13 = 87.

Anyway, good work Chels! Stay latched on, and keep pounding away with those Aqua Tails! If Earthquake decides to return to the surface, switch with Bug Bites. If you lose your grip on him, continue with your same commands, unless he's returned to the surface without you, in which case follow him, and then continue your commands.

Aqua Tail/Bug Bite/Follow x3

By the by, to make some sort of strategic approach a possibility, I'm going to ref the Pokemon in the environment as attacking the nearest battler, not necessarily the Pokemon that attacked them. Unless this is specifically against the arena's idea, in which case let me know and I won't.

By the by, to make some sort of strategic approach a possibility, I'm going to ref the Pokemon in the environment as attacking the nearest battler, not necessarily the Pokemon that attacked them. Unless this is specifically against the arena's idea, in which case let me know and I won't.

Yeah, sorry, that isn't really the intention. It just wouldn't make much sense for say, a Sandile to see him/herself by a move, and then decide to randomly attack the Pokemon closest to it when it could spend another five seconds to get true revenge.

Faint Attack out of his grip - as in, go intangible and pop up somewhere (as per Mean Look's description of the move), preferably out of Chelsae's reach. Then, Dig diagnonally upwards (i.e. make a separate tunnel from your entrance); try to collapse it behind you as you go. Now, as she tries to follow you, bury her with an Earthquake.

Faint Attack ~ Dig (upwards) ~ Earthquake

contrived commands go!

Yeah, sorry, that isn't really the intention. It just wouldn't make much sense for say, a Sandile to see him/herself by a move, and then decide to randomly attack the Pokemon closest to it when it could spend another five seconds to get true revenge.

No worries. Honestly now that it's not one in the morning it sounds wrong to me too >.>

Reffing soooooooon

TEAM DENRYU
OOO
Skorupi
Chelsae (Female)
Energy: 82%

TEAM WHIRLPOOL
OOO
Trapinch
Earthdrake (Male)
Health: 77%
Energy: 85%

ROUND TWO BEGIN
Unseen by the battlers, a geyser of sand erupted from between two dunes, and a baby Hippopotas emerged from under the desert. It lazily began to plod through the sand, seeming not to be aware of anything, or having any sort of thoughts at all, really.

Under the sand, Chelsae whipped her water-coated tail around again, aiming for the underbelly of the enemy Trapinch; she cursed herself inwardly as Earthdrake twisted to the side suddenly, escaping her grip and avoiding the attack. Chelsae's tail slammed into the sand beneath them, the water releasing and soaking the bottom of the tunnel. She shook her head indignantly, then grabbed onto Earthdrake again. He simply turned and smiled at her, then faded from view completely. Chelsae's claws kept moving with the force of her grip, leaving her comically hugging herself for a moment before she turned to see Earthdrake reappear in the tunnel, closer to the surface.

Sputtering insecty cursewords, she followed the Trapinch to where he had reappeared; as she reached him, she dug her pointy mouthparts into his back. Earthdrake winced in pain, then shook her off and began tunnelling upwards at an angle; as Chelsae tried to follow him, he rewarded her with a faceful of sand, and when she cleared it and tried again, all evidence of a tunnel was gone. The mouth of the original tunnel began to pour a small stream of sand on top of Chelsae, threatening to cave in, and she hurried to exit before she was trapped underneath.

When she reached the surface, struggling to keep her footing on the loose sand, Earthdrake was already there, waiting for her. With a jowly grin, he reared up on his hind legs, then slammed his front legs onto the sand, sending a massive showckwave rippling throughout the dunes. Many of them sank to assume flatter shapes, and the poor Hippopotas was thrown off of its little feet as it gutturally cried out in pain; Chelsae managed to stay on her feet by digging her claws into the sand, but was slid back about eight or nine feet either way.

Another geyser of sand blasted from the Hippopotas, this one aimed directly at Earthdrake. He suddenly found himself completely encased in sand; he managed to shake it off of his head, but was unable to free himself before the end of the round. Snivelling, the Hippopotas retreated to find its mother, as a harsh wind picked up and began blowing sand around the battlefield, so much that it almost completely blocked out the sun.

ROUND TWO FINISH

TEAM DENRYU
OOO
Skorupi
Chelsae (Female)
Health: 89%
Energy: 67%

TEAM WHIRLPOOL
OOO
Trapinch
Earthdrake (Male)
Health: 66%
Energy: 65%

Calculations
Aqua Tail- 8% energy (missed)
Faint Attack- 6% energy
Bug Bite- 7% damage, 4% energy
Dig- 6% energy
Follow- 3% energy
Earthquake- 11% damage, 8% energy

Hippopotas' Sand Tomb- 4% damage

Notes
-Aqua Tail missed.
-Earthquake hit the Hippopotas, who used Sand Tomb.
-Earthdrake is trapped at the legs.
-Faint Attack was used to escape, not for damage.
-Skorupi is so much faster than Trapinch that it would've been able to catch up and use Bug Bite reasonably in the same action.
-The weather changed from Sunny Day to Sandstorm at the end of the round.
-Uninspired reffing is uninspired.
-Whirlpool attacks next.[/QUOTE]

-Skorupi is so much faster than Trapinch that it would've been able to catch up and use Bug Bite reasonably in the same action.

Doesn't the total distance traveled in an action by Dig (down) matter, too, even though Skorupi are faster? Most of the time, only that distance can be covered by most Pokémon in one action.

ignore this if it doesn't make sense in case i'm completely tired commands to be edited in later

Erm the way I saw it, as discussed, was that Earthdrake was still in the tunnel, he was just farther up towards the entrance. Which is still the distance covered by a single Dig (down), not even that. It makes sense, it was only a distance of about three to four feet.

Blow her away with a Gust so that she's at least beyond the distance she can cover in an action; use it twice if you need to, but not more than that. Follow up with Natural Gift (which is a physical move for whatever reason). Feint in case of Protect and the like.

Gust/Feint ~ Natural Gift/Gust/Feint ~ Natural Gift/Gust/Feint

Aaaahhh what is this I thought I posted!

Alright, if I remember correctly, first I want you to Faint Attack, which as well as damaging Earthdrake will put you behind him. Wait until right before she uses Gust if you have to, just make sure you avoid it. For the next two actions, if Earthdrake is still trapped in the sand, or cannot move his head around to hit you with Gust, Aqua Tail. If he has become loose, or he can reach his head around, keep using the same Faint Attack strategy to get behind him and hit him, avoiding the Gusts.

Faint Attack ~ Aqua Tail/Faint Attack x2

Still really sorry about this. I probably did something idiotic like typing this all out and forgetting to hit the "Post Reply" button.

Back
Top Bottom