• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

The Challenge Board

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since DarkAura dropped this, I'll put it up again... I hope I can get somebody who can keep it this time since I don't really have a lot of battles going on.

2vs2 Single
Style: Set
DQ: One week.
Damage Cap: 30%
Banned Moves: OHKO's, direct recovery moves, four chills the whole battle, for each side.
Arena: Rainbow Fields

It's a grassy, beautiful field of rainbow flowers with a few clouds here and there. It is a lovely scenic sort of place with a bright shining sun. Thus, it's always on Sunny Day unless the weather is otherwise changed by a weather-altering move.

Something otherwise unique about this arena is the clouds. The clouds are low-dipping, and are imbued with the special magic of the Rainbowpeoples, a tribe of Flying-type/Air-elemental mystics that live near the Rainbow Fields. Their village is a few miles away. Thus, Pokémon may jump onto the clouds and fly around on them. Jumping onto a cloud takes one action, which must be dictated with the word "Jump," obviously. Whilst on a cloud, a Pokémon gains +1 Speed and +1 Evasion, but the cloud can only be used for two actions, and then it dissipates (and the stat boosts wear off with it.) Being on a cloud takes away 3% energy for every action a Pokémon is on it due to the mental effort of navigating the cloud in the proper direction. If one wishes to abandon the cloud early, the trainer may simply command their Pokémon to jump off the cloud, which also takes one action. If a Flying-type chooses to use a cloud, they will suffer only a 2% deduction in their energy due to their experience in the skies.

However, the Rainbowpeoples' generosity will not last long. If trainer uses more than three clouds in the entire battle, their greed will incite the tribe's anger, and they will use their magics to summon a massive gust of wind at the offender. The gust will blow their Pokémon away a very far distance. Due to the journey it will take to get back to the battle, they will lose one action trying to do so. (So, if the trainer commanded, say "Jump", the Pokémon would jump on the cloud as normal. The next action afterwards, however, the Rainbowpeople would appear and blow them away, making them technically lose TWO actions. One wasted on jumping and another by the Rainbowpeople.)

Since DarkAura dropped this, I'll put it up again... I hope I can get somebody who can keep it this time since I don't really have a lot of battles going on.

2vs2 Single
DQ: One week.
Damage Cap: 30%
Banned Moves: OHKO's, direct recovery moves, four chills the whole battle, for each side.
Arena: Rainbow Fields

It's a grassy, beautiful field of rainbow flowers with a few clouds here and there. It is a lovely scenic sort of place with a bright shining sun. Thus, it's always on Sunny Day unless the weather is otherwise changed by a weather-altering move.

Something otherwise unique about this arena is the clouds. The clouds are low-dipping, and are imbued with the special magic of the Rainbowpeoples, a tribe of Flying-type/Air-elemental mystics that live near the Rainbow Fields. Their village is a few miles away. Thus, Pokémon may jump onto the clouds and fly around on them. Jumping onto a cloud takes one action, which must be dictated with the word "Jump," obviously. Whilst on a cloud, a Pokémon gains +1 Speed and +1 Evasion, but the cloud can only be used for two actions, and then it dissipates (and the stat boosts wear off with it.) Being on a cloud takes away 3% energy for every action a Pokémon is on it due to the mental effort of navigating the cloud in the proper direction. If one wishes to abandon the cloud early, the trainer may simply command their Pokémon to jump off the cloud, which also takes one action. If a Flying-type chooses to use a cloud, they will suffer only a 2% deduction in their energy due to their experience in the skies.

However, the Rainbowpeoples' generosity will not last long. If trainer uses more than three clouds in the entire battle, their greed will incite the tribe's anger, and they will use their magics to summon a massive gust of wind at the offender. The gust will blow their Pokémon away a very far distance. Due to the journey it will take to get back to the battle, they will lose one action trying to do so. (So, if the trainer commanded, say "Jump", the Pokémon would jump on the cloud as normal. The next action afterwards, however, the Rainbowpeople would appear and blow them away, making them technically lose TWO actions. One wasted on jumping and another by the Rainbowpeople.)

I'll take it if you'll let me. Sounds interesting. And I'll drop last battle I accepted since there hasn't been a ref.

HOLY CRAP ITS COLOURSFALL VS HIGH MOON IV

1 v 1 single
DQ:
A week
Damage Cap: 45%
Manned Moves: OHKOs, Self-kill moves (explosion etc), Chills Limited to 5/Pokemon, Direct Heals limited to 1/Pokemon
Arena: Land of Little Cubes and...Glass?

Oh, that's not right... It seems this place is some strange mix of Nepeta Leijon and Feferi Peixes' Planets. It has three 'states' - one entirely Land of Little Cubes and Tea (LOLCAT), one entirely Land of Dew and Glass (LODAG), and one a mix of both (LOLCAG). The arena randomly shifts between the three between rounds, and the next one should be noted in a round's end notes. They are as follows:

LOLCAT: Has mainly clear weather and yellow-orange tea reminiscent skies, along with a snowy sugary ground. Powder pink teapots with black cats are visible atop the peaks. This land is made up of little sugar cubes, and some are piled into the shapes of hills, while others create large mountains. There are rivers of green tea on this planet with waterfalls of green running down thousands of little cubes.

A Pokemon may eat a cube or two, which takes an action and restores 4% energy, though the Pokemon will loose 5% energy 5 actions after doing so in a sugar crash, if they have not recently eaten a cube. The 5 action timer is reset each time a cube is eaten, so if a Pokemon eats a cube, then eats another 3 actions later, the drop will happen 5 actions after the second. Feline-based Pokemon deal 1% more damage after all other modifiers have been applied, and take 1% less energy to use attacks.

LODAG: Has an underwater castle situated within a gigantic fish bowl with the first gate just out of reach. The rest of the world is covered in tall grass, dotted with colorful glass ornaments or sculptures emerging from the ground. The sky appears to be some sort of fluorescent shell-themed pattern, but made of glass.

The battle takes place inside the bowl, though battlers may attempt to leave. All non-water breathing Pokemon acquire a bubble around their head that allows them to breathe, and through some strange science...magic...game stuff, can swim and attack at normal speed. Fish-based Pokemon deal 1% more damage after all other modifiers have been applied, and take 1% less energy to use attacks.

LOLCAG: Has what looks largely like LOLCAT for terrain, though bits of grass and the odd colourful glass ornaments poke up around the sugar in places. The tea has been replaced with crystal water, and a large glass bowl is set in the middle of the ground full of water, about ten feet wide and five deep. A non-water breathing Pokemon that enters it also gains their bubble as in LODAG, and, strangely, waterbound Pokemon may leave the water by hovering (think in the 3D Pokemon games).

Other: It has already been decided which Pokemon being used, so the ref may skip the sending portion of the battle.

HOLY CRAP ITS COLOURSFALL VS HIGH MOON IV

1 v 1 single
DQ:
A week
Damage Cap: 45%
Manned Moves: OHKOs, Self-kill moves (explosion etc), Chills Limited to 5/Pokemon, Direct Heals limited to 1/Pokemon
Arena: Land of Little Cubes and...Glass?

Oh, that's not right... It seems this place is some strange mix of Nepeta Leijon and Feferi Peixes' Planets. It has three 'states' - one entirely Land of Little Cubes and Tea (LOLCAT), one entirely Land of Dew and Glass (LODAG), and one a mix of both (LOLCAG). The arena randomly shifts between the three between rounds, and the next one should be noted in a round's end notes. They are as follows:

LOLCAT: Has mainly clear weather and yellow-orange tea reminiscent skies, along with a snowy sugary ground. Powder pink teapots with black cats are visible atop the peaks. This land is made up of little sugar cubes, and some are piled into the shapes of hills, while others create large mountains. There are rivers of green tea on this planet with waterfalls of green running down thousands of little cubes.

A Pokemon may eat a cube or two, which takes an action and restores 4% energy, though the Pokemon will loose 5% energy 5 actions after doing so in a sugar crash, if they have not recently eaten a cube. The 5 action timer is reset each time a cube is eaten, so if a Pokemon eats a cube, then eats another 3 actions later, the drop will happen 5 actions after the second. Feline-based Pokemon deal 1% more damage after all other modifiers have been applied, and take 1% less energy to use attacks.

LODAG: Has an underwater castle situated within a gigantic fish bowl with the first gate just out of reach. The rest of the world is covered in tall grass, dotted with colorful glass ornaments or sculptures emerging from the ground. The sky appears to be some sort of fluorescent shell-themed pattern, but made of glass.

The battle takes place inside the bowl, though battlers may attempt to leave. All non-water breathing Pokemon acquire a bubble around their head that allows them to breathe, and through some strange science...magic...game stuff, can swim and attack at normal speed. Fish-based Pokemon deal 1% more damage after all other modifiers have been applied, and take 1% less energy to use attacks.

LOLCAG: Has what looks largely like LOLCAT for terrain, though bits of grass and the odd colourful glass ornaments poke up around the sugar in places. The tea has been replaced with crystal water, and a large glass bowl is set in the middle of the ground full of water, about ten feet wide and five deep. A non-water breathing Pokemon that enters it also gains their bubble as in LODAG, and, strangely, waterbound Pokemon may leave the water by hovering (think in the 3D Pokemon games).

Other: It has already been decided which Pokemon being used, so the ref may skip the sending portion of the battle.

Derp derp taking it

I'll take it if you'll let me. Sounds interesting. And I'll drop last battle I accepted since there hasn't been a ref.

>:( Third times the charm I guess. I refuse to give up on this arena.

3 vs. 3 Single
Set Style
1 week DQ Time
45% Damage Cap
Banned Moves: OHKOs, Direct Healing moves, Weather Moves, Chills limited to 3/Pokemon
Arena: The Lost Desert

The Lost Desert is exactly as it says. Lost. No-one knows exactly where it is, what its name is, or how large it is. The trainers and the referee came upon the spot while expecting to end up in some vacation spot. Being so far from civilization that a rescue vehicle would take forever to get there, the trainers have decided to have a battle to pass the time.

The desert itself isn't very spectacular. It is simply dune after dune after dune of endless sand, stretching off towards the horizon. Of course, Pokemon are limited to one area that is about 10 metres by 10 metres for the fight. Just off to the right of the center of the area is a small oasis. A lone palm tree stands on a grassy knoll surrounded by a ring of water large enough to allow most water-types to move around freely.

Because the battlers are fighting in an extremely hot desert, all but the following Pokemon will use 1.5x more energy than they normally would: Sandshrew, Cacnea, Trapinch, Vibrava, Baltoy, Hippopotas, Skorupi, Sandile, Darumaka, Scraggy, and Dwebble. The arena also starts under the effects of Sunny Day, However, at the end of every round there is a 25% chance that the weather will change between being sunny and being in a sandstorm.

At the beginning of every round one of the following Pokemon will show up at the spot, remaining until the end of the round. Realizing that a battle is in progress, the Pokemon will only act if hit by an attack (this could be an attack that misses or an attack that hits all opponents). The Pokemon that can appear are as follows:

25% chance: Sandshrew, which will use Slash
25% chance: Sandile, which will use Crunch
15% chance: Hippopotas, which will use Sand Tomb
15% chance: Maractus, which will use Petal Dance
10% chance: Vibrava, which will use Dragonbreath
5% chance: Sigilyph, which will use Air Slash or Psybeam (50% chance for each)
5% chance: Darmanitan, which will use Flare Blitz or Hammer Arm (50% chance for each)

Additional Rules: Fully Evolved Pokemon are banned

On the fifteenth of this month, Metallica will be thirty. And there's one thing that this must mean.

1 & 1 vs. 1 & 1, tag battle
DQ: 7 days
Damage Cap: 40%
Banned Moves: Any moves that will cause instant fainting, direct healing.
Arena: Metallica Gig II
They're playing again. And we're fighting instead of listening. What the hell is wrong with us? Oh well, we still get cool effects from the songs.

A random song will be chosen and played at the beggining of the match. Each song has a set duration, and after that goes up, another randomized song plays. No song will be played twice. If all songs are played before the battle ends, songs from the first gig that weren't played (All Nightmare Long, Cyanide, Damage Inc., Enter Sandman, Fight Fire With Fire, For Whom The Bell Tolls, Nothing Else Matters, and No Leaf Clover) will be rotated.

- Battery (5 actions): Moves tht prevent attacks from landing, such as Protect and Substitute, will fail. If a Pokémon uses a damage-dealing move, they must use another in a row, unless they already have.
- Creeping Death (6 actions): Water-type moves will fail while this song is playing. All Pokémon will suffer 2% Fire-type damage each action. During the first action, the first Pokémon to be sent out takes 10% Dark-type damage; during the second action, the second sendout suffers 8% Dark-type damage; during the third, the third one takes 6% Dark-type damage; lastly, during the fourth action, the fourth sendout receives 4% Dark-type damage.
- Dyers Eve (5 actions): All Pokémon on the field will disobey all commands, using random attacks that they can learn instead.
- Frantic (5 actions): There's a 25% chance that a Pokémon will fail to carry out commands due to profound introspective reflection. When the song ends, all battlers get to choose what their active Pokémon's Hidden Power type will be for the match, even if a type has already been rolled previously.
- My Apocalypse (5 actions): Commands given during the song will be heard during randomized actions (and not in their proper order).
- Seek and Destroy (5 actions): All Pokémon gain 2+ Accuracy and 2+ Critical Hit ratio.
- Welcome Home (Sanitarium) (6 actions): All Pokémon become severely and incurably confused until the song ends.
- Whiplash (4 actions): All Pokémon will enjoy the frickin' show for a while, not carrying out any moves. By the end of the song, each of them will be granted a 2+ in Attack and a 2+ in Special Attack (1+ each if they weren't in battle for the whole song).

As with the first time around, any amount of damage caused to a band member of Metallica will be repaid in organs torn off savagely from the trainer responsible.
Other: Whether the teams are randomized or preset will be left for this challenge's accepters to determine. If the other battlers would like it, this could also be made a 2 & 2 vs. 2 & 2.

This sounds awesome and I'm surprised no-one's signed up. I'll participate.

On the fifteenth of this month, Metallica will be thirty. And there's one thing that this must mean.

1 & 1 vs. 1 & 1, tag battle
DQ: 7 days
Damage Cap: 40%
Banned Moves: Any moves that will cause instant fainting, direct healing.
Arena: Metallica Gig II
They're playing again. And we're fighting instead of listening. What the hell is wrong with us? Oh well, we still get cool effects from the songs.

A random song will be chosen and played at the beggining of the match. Each song has a set duration, and after that goes up, another randomized song plays. No song will be played twice. If all songs are played before the battle ends, songs from the first gig that weren't played (All Nightmare Long, Cyanide, Damage Inc., Enter Sandman, Fight Fire With Fire, For Whom The Bell Tolls, Nothing Else Matters, and No Leaf Clover) will be rotated.

- Battery (5 actions): Moves tht prevent attacks from landing, such as Protect and Substitute, will fail. If a Pokémon uses a damage-dealing move, they must use another in a row, unless they already have.
- Creeping Death (6 actions): Water-type moves will fail while this song is playing. All Pokémon will suffer 2% Fire-type damage each action. During the first action, the first Pokémon to be sent out takes 10% Dark-type damage; during the second action, the second sendout suffers 8% Dark-type damage; during the third, the third one takes 6% Dark-type damage; lastly, during the fourth action, the fourth sendout receives 4% Dark-type damage.
- Dyers Eve (5 actions): All Pokémon on the field will disobey all commands, using random attacks that they can learn instead.
- Frantic (5 actions): There's a 25% chance that a Pokémon will fail to carry out commands due to profound introspective reflection. When the song ends, all battlers get to choose what their active Pokémon's Hidden Power type will be for the match, even if a type has already been rolled previously.
- My Apocalypse (5 actions): Commands given during the song will be heard during randomized actions (and not in their proper order).
- Seek and Destroy (5 actions): All Pokémon gain 2+ Accuracy and 2+ Critical Hit ratio.
- Welcome Home (Sanitarium) (6 actions): All Pokémon become severely and incurably confused until the song ends.
- Whiplash (4 actions): All Pokémon will enjoy the frickin' show for a while, not carrying out any moves. By the end of the song, each of them will be granted a 2+ in Attack and a 2+ in Special Attack (1+ each if they weren't in battle for the whole song).

As with the first time around, any amount of damage caused to a band member of Metallica will be repaid in organs torn off savagely from the trainer responsible.
Other: Whether the teams are randomized or preset will be left for this challenge's accepters to determine. If the other battlers would like it, this could also be made a 2 & 2 vs. 2 & 2.

Loving this and taking now that I have an extra ref-slot.

Also it seems like the Pokemon will be dropping pretty fast so I think a 2 & 2 vs. 2 & 2 would be...I don't want to say better, but more...long-lived? I'm fine either way.

Loving this and taking now that I have an extra ref-slot.

Also it seems like the Pokemon will be dropping pretty fast so I think a 2 & 2 vs. 2 & 2 would be...I don't want to say better, but more...long-lived? I'm fine either way.
That, and there are plenty of songs, and many got left out of the last jam.

Since I have one more slot I may as well try filling it.

2vs2 single
DQ: 5 days
Damage Cap: 99%
Banned Moves: OHKO's, direct recovery, chills, Substitute, evasion modifiers
Arena: Dream Smoke Café

Saffron City is known for having something for everyone, including a very active nightlife. There's the well-known Trainer House in Viridian, but Saffron has fight clubs of its own, too. A particularly popular meet-up is held weekly at the Dream Smoke Café, an underground poetry lounge. Battles take place on a reinforced wooden platform stage, about 20 meters long and wide, while trainers and artisans alike watch from all sides. Pokémon that purposefully leave the stage are disqualified. Special lighting is used during battles: each round, the lights turn a different colour (in rainbow order) and provide different bonuses to the battling Pokémon.

Red: Fire damage +25%, FRZ Pokémon are defrosted
Orange: Physical damage +15%, Special energy cost -25%
Yellow: Electric damage +25%, Base accuracy +5%
Green: Poison energy cost -50%, PSN damage (for the round) x2
Blue: Water energy cost -25%, water buckets are refilled
Violet: Special damage +15%, Physical energy cost -25%

Also prepared for the Pokémon is a large bucket of water, placed on their respective sides of the stage. This provides the Pokémon with enough water to use multiple weaker water attacks or one strong water attack. The buckets are refilled during blue lights.

Other rules: First-stage evolving Pokémon only, no Fakémon, no signature attributes

Last edited:
Since I have one more slot I may as well try filling it.

2vs2 single
DQ: 5 days
Banned Moves: OHKO's, direct recovery, chills, Substitute, evasion modifiers
Arena: Dream Smoke Café

Saffron City is known for having something for everyone, including a very active nightlife. There's the well-known Trainer House in Viridian, but Saffron has fight clubs of its own, too. A particularly popular meet-up is held weekly at the Dream Smoke Café, an underground poetry lounge. Battles take place on a reinforced wooden platform stage, about 20 meters long and wide, while trainers and artisans alike watch from all sides. Pokémon that purposefully leave the stage are disqualified. Special lighting is used during battles: each round, the lights turn a different colour (in rainbow order) and provide different bonuses to the battling Pokémon.

Red: Fire damage +25%, FRZ Pokémon are defrosted
Orange: Physical damage +15%, Special energy cost -25%
Yellow: Electric damage +25%, Base accuracy +5%
Green: Poison energy cost -50%, PSN damage (for the round) x2
Blue: Water energy cost -25%, water buckets are refilled
Violet: Special damage +15%, Physical energy cost -25%

Also prepared for the Pokémon is a large bucket of water, placed on their respective sides of the stage. This provides the Pokémon with enough water to use multiple weaker water attacks or one strong water attack. The buckets are refilled during blue lights.

Other rules: First-stage evolving Pokémon only, no Fakémon, no signature attributes

May I?

I'll just go ahead and take this battle with bulbasaur unless someone took it already and I didn't see?

I'll be the side with two Pokemon and extra health >:3

One of Lord of the Fireflies' battles have ended just now; as such, I'll go ahead and make that last spot in the Metallica Gig II his.

Now we just need a referee.

>:( Third times the charm I guess. I refuse to give up on this arena.

3 vs. 3 Single
Set Style
1 week DQ Time
45% Damage Cap
Banned Moves: OHKOs, Direct Healing moves, Weather Moves, Chills limited to 3/Pokemon
Arena: The Lost Desert

The Lost Desert is exactly as it says. Lost. No-one knows exactly where it is, what its name is, or how large it is. The trainers and the referee came upon the spot while expecting to end up in some vacation spot. Being so far from civilization that a rescue vehicle would take forever to get there, the trainers have decided to have a battle to pass the time.

The desert itself isn't very spectacular. It is simply dune after dune after dune of endless sand, stretching off towards the horizon. Of course, Pokemon are limited to one area that is about 10 metres by 10 metres for the fight. Just off to the right of the center of the area is a small oasis. A lone palm tree stands on a grassy knoll surrounded by a ring of water large enough to allow most water-types to move around freely.

Because the battlers are fighting in an extremely hot desert, all but the following Pokemon will use 1.5x more energy than they normally would: Sandshrew, Cacnea, Trapinch, Vibrava, Baltoy, Hippopotas, Skorupi, Sandile, Darumaka, Scraggy, and Dwebble. The arena also starts under the effects of Sunny Day, However, at the end of every round there is a 25% chance that the weather will change between being sunny and being in a sandstorm.

At the beginning of every round one of the following Pokemon will show up at the spot, remaining until the end of the round. Realizing that a battle is in progress, the Pokemon will only act if hit by an attack (this could be an attack that misses or an attack that hits all opponents). The Pokemon that can appear are as follows:

25% chance: Sandshrew, which will use Slash
25% chance: Sandile, which will use Crunch
15% chance: Hippopotas, which will use Sand Tomb
15% chance: Maractus, which will use Petal Dance
10% chance: Vibrava, which will use Dragonbreath
5% chance: Sigilyph, which will use Air Slash or Psybeam (50% chance for each)
5% chance: Darmanitan, which will use Flare Blitz or Hammer Arm (50% chance for each)

Additional Rules: Fully Evolved Pokemon are banned

Why...not? :D

3vs3 triples
DQ: Standard week
Banned Moves: anything but metronome
Arena: Celestic Town

Celestic Town is a rather tiny place, but it's legend is well-known. There are some who say it's the town where Sinnoh came to be created, and the crater-like pit in the middle of town, centered by a shrine which was there before any human can remember, certainly doesn't hurt the legend. There's also a tiny cave, with strange carvings on the wall, but they don't seem to be of any interest to... anyone.

The battle takes place morning-time during the spring; lush grass and lovely bright ponds are spread about Celestic, enough for any pokemon to do whatever they might want.

Guys Kusari already agreed to ref this I just need an opponent. :[

3vs3 triples
DQ: Standard week
Banned Moves: anything but metronome
Arena: Celestic Town

Celestic Town is a rather tiny place, but it's legend is well-known. There are some who say it's the town where Sinnoh came to be created, and the crater-like pit in the middle of town, centered by a shrine which was there before any human can remember, certainly doesn't hurt the legend. There's also a tiny cave, with strange carvings on the wall, but they don't seem to be of any interest to... anyone.

The battle takes place morning-time during the spring; lush grass and lovely bright ponds are spread about Celestic, enough for any pokemon to do whatever they might want.

No one's picked this up yet whoa. Is it just that no one has three metronome Pokemon or ???

I'll take this (again what) unless someone else wants it instead or Kusari's sick of seeing my face..? all the metronome

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom