• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

The Challenge Board

Status
Not open for further replies.
1vs1 single
DQ: Five days
Damage Cap: None
Banned Moves: OHKO's, direct heals (only three chills allowed).
Arena: Mt. Chimney/Jagged Pass

This battle takes place on both routes; description can be found here and here. Basically, it's a rocky terrain; ashen filled grass can be found on the Jagged Pass, where the battle starts. The trees and such are also covered with soot, and there is little to no water unless provided with a move like rain dance.

Speaking of soot, doesn't there have to be side effects from battling and breathing in volcanic ash? Why yes! Spending time in the burnt up grass or doing other things (determined at ref's discretion) can cause a number of side effects. There's about a 25% chance of it occuring when you do such dangerous things, and the effects include but are not limited to:

A 25% chance of getting lightly confused.
A 20% chance of getting lightly poisoned.
A 15% chance of getting mildly confused.
A 15% chance of getting mildly poisoned.
A 10% chance of wasting an action coughing (like a flinch).
A 10% chance of rustling up the ash and smoke, causing the effect of smokescreen upon all pokemon.
A 5% chance of getting both mildly confused and lightly poisoned.

Up at the volcano, where the problematic substance is given off, the chance of such things happening is a flat 25% each round. If it is determined that it will occur to a pokemon, the action in which it will happen is randomized.

Pokemon native to Hoenn use 1% less energy per action, unless that would make the energy cost of a move zero. Pokemon found on the Jagged Pass use 2% less energy per action (this does not stack with the Hoenn bonus and has the same rules) and have the chances of being affected by the ash lowered to 15%. Poison type pokemon have the same 15% chance of being affected as the Jagged Pass pokemon; it's a different type of poison than the typical venomous kind and therefore a pokemon can be both ash poisoned and normal poisoned. They act the same, however.

Other: Only fully unevolved pokemon may participate; single stage lines are banned.

I still like this arena and I'd prefer not to use both of my rare candies at once, so here's this. I'm up for battling anyone, but this is mostly for experience so I'd prefer this not being a serious drawn-out thing.

1vs1 single
DQ: Five days
Damage Cap: None
Banned Moves: OHKO's, direct heals (only three chills allowed).
Arena: Mt. Chimney/Jagged Pass

This battle takes place on both routes; description can be found here and here. Basically, it's a rocky terrain; ashen filled grass can be found on the Jagged Pass, where the battle starts. The trees and such are also covered with soot, and there is little to no water unless provided with a move like rain dance.

Speaking of soot, doesn't there have to be side effects from battling and breathing in volcanic ash? Why yes! Spending time in the burnt up grass or doing other things (determined at ref's discretion) can cause a number of side effects. There's about a 25% chance of it occuring when you do such dangerous things, and the effects include but are not limited to:

A 25% chance of getting lightly confused.
A 20% chance of getting lightly poisoned.
A 15% chance of getting mildly confused.
A 15% chance of getting mildly poisoned.
A 10% chance of wasting an action coughing (like a flinch).
A 10% chance of rustling up the ash and smoke, causing the effect of smokescreen upon all pokemon.
A 5% chance of getting both mildly confused and lightly poisoned.

Up at the volcano, where the problematic substance is given off, the chance of such things happening is a flat 25% each round. If it is determined that it will occur to a pokemon, the action in which it will happen is randomized.

Pokemon native to Hoenn use 1% less energy per action, unless that would make the energy cost of a move zero. Pokemon found on the Jagged Pass use 2% less energy per action (this does not stack with the Hoenn bonus and has the same rules) and have the chances of being affected by the ash lowered to 15%. Poison type pokemon have the same 15% chance of being affected as the Jagged Pass pokemon; it's a different type of poison than the typical venomous kind and therefore a pokemon can be both ash poisoned and normal poisoned. They act the same, however.

Other: Only fully unevolved pokemon may participate; single stage lines are banned.

I still like this arena and I'd prefer not to use both of my rare candies at once, so here's this. I'm up for battling anyone, but this is mostly for experience so I'd prefer this not being a serious drawn-out thing.

I'll take you on, dropping this in the process, as I doubt it'll get a ref.

Dropping the Waverly Hills battle since it didn’t turn out like I wanted. Sorry BLABO, Totodile, and Exdeath. Here is something that may replace it:

1 vs. 1 vs. 1 vs. 1 (four trainers with one Pokemon each)
DQ: 1 week
Style: Switch
Damage Cap: 35%
Banned Moves: OHKOs, Earth Moving (earthquake, fissure, dig, etc. Moves like Rock Throw ARE allowed), and Direct Healing
Arena: A park
Description: This Park has many picnic goers that want to enjoy a good Pokemon battle. Four trainers step up to entertain they family, friends, and peers. The picnickers move out to create a large field big enough for four large Onix to fight in. Luckily, no Pokemon will need that much room. There is a fountain that can produce water but Pokemon cannot be in it. The picnickers have domes (12 feet tall and 12 feet wide) surrounding themselves.
Additional rules: No Pokemon: 1) over 6 foot or 2) that moves through the ground or water.

Dropping the Waverly Hills battle since it didn’t turn out like I wanted. Sorry BLABO, Totodile, and Exdeath. Here is something that may replace it:

Banned Moves: OHKOs, Earth Moving (earthquake, fissure, dig, etc. Moves like Rock Throw ARE allowed), and Direct Healing
Description: This Park has many picnic goers that want to enjoy a good Pokemon battle. Four trainers step up to entertain they family, friends, and peers. The picnickers move out to create a large field big enough for four large Onix to fight in. Luckily, no Pokemon will need that much room. There is a fountain that can produce water but Pokemon cannot be in it. The picnickers have domes (12 feet tall and 12 feet wide) surrounding themselves.
Additional rules: No Pokemon: 1) over 6 foot or 2) that moves through the ground or water.

Accepting.

Alright, it's going to be hard to get a referee for this otherwise, it seems, so, I'll pull out the screw the rules I have money card.

Fifty bucks for the first to pick up the Metallica Gig II battle.

Yes, this is brother-approved:
2 vs. 2 single
Style: Set
DQ: 7 Days
Banned Moves: OHKOs

Field: Arboreal Dome

In some closed-off mountain range in the northern parts of Asber, a strange natural wonder has formed; a humongous dome made entirely of intertwined trees and vines. It is several hundred feet high and wide, and the ground inside is covered with bushes and a strange, luminescent moss. Moss-covered boulders are also strewn throughout, and a slow, good-sized stream cuts a swathe through the middle of the Great Arboreal Dome. The light not provided by the moss is filtered and green, streaming through window-like gaps in the wicker dome.

For obvious reasons, most weather moves will have a lessened effect in this arena, as rain or hail will have a tough time getting through the intertwined branches. At the end of each round, there's a 25% chance that the moss will glow bright green for the entirety of the next round, at which point Grass-type Pokémon get a 2x STAB instead of a 1.5x, and Fire-types get no STAB.

Yes, this is brother-approved:
2 vs. 2 single
DQ: 7 Days
Banned Moves: OHKOs

Field: Arboreal Dome

In some closed-off mountain range in the northern parts of Asber, a strange natural wonder has formed; a humongous dome made entirely of intertwined trees and vines. It is several hundred feet high and wide, and the ground inside is covered with bushes and a strange, luminescent moss. Moss-covered boulders are also strewn throughout, and a slow, good-sized stream cuts a swathe through the middle of the Great Arboreal Dome. The light not provided by the moss is filtered and green, streaming through window-like gaps in the wicker dome.

For obvious reasons, most weather moves will have a lessened effect in this arena, as rain or hail will have a tough time getting through the intertwined branches. At the end of each round, there's a 25% chance that the moss will glow bright green for the entirety of the next round, at which point Grass-type Pokémon get a 2x STAB instead of a 1.5x, and Fire-types get no STAB.

I would love to try it

Also dropping the Waverly Hills battle and taking this.

I'll be #4

Dropping my battle with Glace to put up a new challenge, in a more complicated arena =o
Sorry Glace =(

3vs3 triple
DQ: 10 days
Damage Cap: 40%
Banned Moves: OHKOs, suicide moves, direct healing, Dig/Dive/Fly/etc. (any moves that would allow a Pokémon to remain out of range)
Arena: The Chessboard of DOOM

Floating in a giant chasm of nothingness is a giant chessboard, upon which we are to battle. It is a standard 8x8 board with alternating black and white tiles. One player's Pokémon will start on the spaces on the bottom of the diagram, and the other player's Pokémon will start on the top; which trainer becomes which colored team is randomized at the start of battle, as well as the roles of the Pokémon on each team. The chessboard's squares are all automatically adjusted to fit the size of the largest Pokémon participating, and any material required for an attack appears for the purpose of the attack, then disappears.

The White Team's Pokémon will start on spaces A1, D1, and H1. Black Team's Pokémon will start on spaces A8, E8, and H8. The Pokémon that start on spaces A1 and H8 are rooks; starting on D1 and E8 are bishops; starting on H1 and A8 are knights. Each Pokémon can use one action to move one space in any direction (the exception being knights, to be explained in a bit) that is allowed by their role. Rooks move one space straight forward, backward, left or right while bishops move one space diagonally per action. All three actions may end up being taken by moving around.
The exception to that is the knight - knights move in their traditional L-shaped movements, but can only move up to two times per round.
Oh, and each Pokémon gets a hat that symbolizes their role for the duration of the battle. These do nothing ;)

A Pokémon's attacks can target a single Pokémon in any of the surrounding squares. Multi-target moves hit all surrounding squares within a 1-tile range - nothing more, nothing less. If, at any time, all six Pokémon involved are within attack range of at least one opponent, all the Pokémon are instantly teleported to random spaces on the board and the round immediately ends so orders don't get too screwed up. Oh, and the whole chessboard is booby trapped - whenever a Pokémon steps on or passes any other space, there is a 10% chance that they will receive 5% untyped damage in a random, unconventional way. The knights should have fun with that...
If a Pokémon is standing on a space on the edge of the chessboard, and a heavier Pokémon is in an appropriate spot, the heavier Pokémon may use an action to push the lighter Pokémon off the board - the lighter Pokémon spends one action falling before teleporting to a random space on the board with 10% less energy.
(So, if a Cleffa is on A3, anything heavier that's on spaces B2, B3, or B4 can push that poor Cleffa off.)

At the end of each round, there is a 15% chance that either Reshiram, Zekrom, or Kyurem will make an appearance. Reshiram will do 10% Fire-type damage to each Pokémon on the Black team, while Zekrom will do 10% Electric-type damage to each Pokémon on the White team. Kyurem is the nice guy - he gives 10% energy to every single Pokémon on the board.
The hats have HP too! (Yes, I lied earlier about their purposes. Shocker? I think not.) They have 15% each, to be exact. Any move can specifically target a hat, or hats can otherwise be damaged by widespread moves. If any participant's hat is completely destroyed, that Pokémon will take 1% more energy, after all other calculations, to perform any move. Moves such as Fire Spin, Whirlpool, Sand Tomb/etc. will prevent a trapped Pokémon from moving from the space they're on until either all positions are randomized or when the move fizzles out. Trap moves such as Stealth Rock, Spikes, Toxic Spikes/etc. are placed on all squares surrounding the user. These traps disappear after two rounds.

Other: A bit too complicated, maybe? o.o
Anyway, at the end of each round, a diagram of the board with each Pokémon's icons to show their positions would be appreciated.
Will this ever even get a ref =,(

I can't shake the usual feeling of forgetting something o.o Well, if my opponent can think of a situation in battle that I haven't mentioned, we can both discuss the effects of certain moves or anything else.
Also, I'm not quite sure why I'm so eager to use this place if I'm not a very experienced battler. Just a random observation.

Dropping my battle with Glace to put up a new challenge, in a more complicated arena =o
Sorry Glace =(

3vs3 triple
DQ: 10 days
Damage Cap: 40%
Banned Moves: OHKOs, suicide moves, direct healing, Dig/Dive/Fly/etc. (any moves that would allow a Pokémon to remain out of range)
Arena: The Chessboard of DOOM

Floating in a giant chasm of nothingness is a giant chessboard, upon which we are to battle. It is a standard 8x8 board with alternating black and white tiles. One player's Pokémon will start on the spaces on the bottom of the diagram, and the other player's Pokémon will start on the top; which trainer becomes which colored team is randomized at the start of battle, as well as the roles of the Pokémon on each team. The chessboard's squares are all automatically adjusted to fit the size of the largest Pokémon participating, and any material required for an attack appears for the purpose of the attack, then disappears.

The White Team's Pokémon will start on spaces A1, D1, and H1. Black Team's Pokémon will start on spaces A8, E8, and H8. The Pokémon that start on spaces A1 and H8 are rooks; starting on D1 and E8 are bishops; starting on H1 and A8 are knights. Each Pokémon can use one action to move one space in any direction (the exception being knights, to be explained in a bit) that is allowed by their role. Rooks move one space straight forward, backward, left or right while bishops move one space diagonally per action. All three actions may end up being taken by moving around.
The exception to that is the knight - knights move in their traditional L-shaped movements, but can only move up to two times per round.
Oh, and each Pokémon gets a hat that symbolizes their role for the duration of the battle. These do nothing ;)

A Pokémon's attacks can target a single Pokémon in any of the surrounding squares. Multi-target moves hit all surrounding squares within a 1-tile range - nothing more, nothing less. If, at any time, all six Pokémon involved are within attack range of at least one opponent, all the Pokémon are instantly teleported to random spaces on the board and the round immediately ends so orders don't get too screwed up. Oh, and the whole chessboard is booby trapped - whenever a Pokémon steps on or passes any other space, there is a 10% chance that they will receive 5% untyped damage in a random, unconventional way. The knights should have fun with that...
If a Pokémon is standing on a space on the edge of the chessboard, and a heavier Pokémon is in an appropriate spot, the heavier Pokémon may use an action to push the lighter Pokémon off the board - the lighter Pokémon spends one action falling before teleporting to a random space on the board with 10% less energy.
(So, if a Cleffa is on A3, anything heavier that's on spaces B2, B3, or B4 can push that poor Cleffa off.)

At the end of each round, there is a 15% chance that either Reshiram, Zekrom, or Kyurem will make an appearance. Reshiram will do 10% Fire-type damage to each Pokémon on the Black team, while Zekrom will do 10% Electric-type damage to each Pokémon on the White team. Kyurem is the nice guy - he gives 10% energy to every single Pokémon on the board.
The hats have HP too! (Yes, I lied earlier about their purposes. Shocker? I think not.) They have 15% each, to be exact. Any move can specifically target a hat, or hats can otherwise be damaged by widespread moves. If any participant's hat is completely destroyed, that Pokémon will take 1% more energy, after all other calculations, to perform any move. Moves such as Fire Spin, Whirlpool, Sand Tomb/etc. will prevent a trapped Pokémon from moving from the space they're on until either all positions are randomized or when the move fizzles out. Trap moves such as Stealth Rock, Spikes, Toxic Spikes/etc. are placed on all squares surrounding the user. These traps disappear after two rounds.

Other: A bit too complicated, maybe? o.o
Anyway, at the end of each round, a diagram of the board with each Pokémon's icons to show their positions would be appreciated.
Will this ever even get a ref =,(

I can't shake the usual feeling of forgetting something o.o Well, if my opponent can think of a situation in battle that I haven't mentioned, we can both discuss the effects of certain moves or anything else.
Also, I'm not quite sure why I'm so eager to use this place if I'm not a very experienced battler. Just a random observation.
Taking this and hoping for a ref.

Reserved for Eifie! Again. Also reserved for Squorn as ref.

1vs1 single
DQ: One week
Damage Cap: 45%
Banned Moves: One-hit KOs
Arena: Perfectly Generic Arena, Revisited

Grassy field surrounded by trees with a pond in the center. A cardboard box is tipped on one side, open-end facing away from the pond. One corner is wet where it touches the water.

Last edited:
Hiikaru ♥;536593 said:
Reserved for Eifie! Again. Also reserved for Squorn as ref.

1vs1 single
DQ: One week
Damage Cap: 45%
Banned Moves: One-hit KOs
Arena: Perfectly Generic Arena, Revisited

Grassy field surrounded by trees with a pond in the center. A cardboard box is tipped on one side, open-end facing away from the pond. One corner is wet where it touches the water.

I accept :o It's strange, I feel like I've done this before...

Last edited:
Hi.
I'm new and i'm looking for my first battle, which i would like to only use two pokemon.

Last edited:
3v3 triple
style: set
dq time: 5/7 weeks
damage cap: take some dice and roll 10d10% each round, before commands are given
banned: everything not given except chills
arena: pick a densely-populated area, any densely-populated area, it doesn't matter which

Each round, roll one set per pokémon of five moves each at random for each trainer. Each trainer assigns each set of moves to a different pokémon and moves commanded must be taken from that set.

Arena destruction is encouraged, as always.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom