• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Gingerbread Biscuits

Kinova

puppy-sized elephants
banner.jpg

After some minor prompting and much deliberation, I’ve decided to make an art thread. *nervous* So welcome to Gingerbread Biscuits*, I guess. (I made a banner but it doesn't say the name of the thread. Adurr. :B)

A couple of things you should know:
~ I have a tendency to ramble about each picture, but you can skip those parts.
~ CC is much appreciated, as I’m always looking to improve.
~ I have terrible trouble thinking of things to draws, so requests are welcome.

Young Phoenix (No, not Wright.)
Oh, this thing took so long… x_x The lineart wasn’t great (I thought it was a good idea to draw a bird with no idea what bird anatomy is like) so the paint was a clever distraction. Turned out alright, I suppose.

Luxray
More paint… it was a lot darker on paper but the scanner made it loads brighter. *blinks* Turns out I’m not so great at drawing canines/felines/fluffy things on legs. ;>>

Pirate Ampharos… Maybe I’ll make it a Pokesona.

Rainbows and Lollipops~
Er… I finished reading Son of a Witch, so I wanted to do some epic tribute picture – problem was, once I wrote the words I couldn’t think of anything further for the picture. As I was trying to think of something, I saw the video for Mika’s "Lollipop"… and this happened. (Oh, yeah - see how many faces you can spot :D)

Flygon evolved.
Crummy looking paper here.

*Peace*
Yes, Wicked fanart. I couldn’t resist. x3 Scanner lightened everything again so Glinda’s face looks awful… I like her left hand, though.

A Very Blustery Day
Yup, Elphie. Walking into blank space.

*Pose*
Galinda, Disembodied Head of the Uplands. Too bright ;-;

Werewolf
Trying to practice canines… sort of.

Charmander
First feeble attempt at using PSP8.

Aaaand that’s it, for now.

*Oh, except. The thread's named after food in keeping with my sprite thread, Oranges and Lemons. And Cirrus once said my name reminded her of gingerbread biscuits, so. x3

Last edited:
Your thread's title is making me hungry~ XD

I love Pirate Ampharos, it's adorable. Luxray's awesome too~ Just a few things, the face is sort of flat, it looks kind of 2D when compared to the rest of the body. And the legs are a bit fat.

I thought that Phoenix picture was going to be a younger version of this Phoenix Wright guy everyone seems to be talking about. XD But it's really good! The colours are marvelous. Just one thing: the right wing is bigger than the left, so it looks sort of lopsided.

The werewolf is better than anything I could ever draw! I suck at anthros. It's pretty good, actually, I like how its all fluffy. And Rainbows and Lollipops is so colourful~ I love rainbows. :D

I really like *Pose* too, the curly hair looks so realistic! (And I should know, ahaha.)

Oh fudge people have actually been looking at this stuff - *hides*

I might try that, Blastoise... poor Weedle never gets much attention. x3 The Charmander's out of proportion? I guess the head compared to the rest of the body's a bit off, and the arms/legs are kinda short. Hm.

Ahh Arylett you saying the title made you hungry made me hungry. And we don't have any gingerbread. D: Anyway - I can see what you mean about the Luxray's head there. It's probably because it's sideways on while the rest of the body's at a slight angle, but I didn't think about that when I was sketching it. ;>> The mane looked less 2D on paper because I gave it massive amounts of shading which the scanner ignored.
(Couldn't be Phoenix Wright because I haven't played those games x: ) I was supposed to be drawing it from one side but my proportions went all wonky so now it has one stunted wing, as you pointed out. xD; Glad you like the colouring~
I'm also pleased you reckon the curly hair's okay, too, because my mum was looking at it before and she's convinced "this girl's got spaghetti on her head o.o". I thought I'd practice it seeing as I have a reference sitting atop my head. x3

So uh old "art"
Done back when the final Harry Potter book came out; read it through twice but found I wasn't quite ready to put it on the bookshelf with the others (well, I was attached by then) so I copied the back cover to delay putting it away. ^^;

...I have to stop overusing these smiles.

Finally, someone else who hasn't played Phoenix Wright! I thought I was the only one. XD

And wow, that Harry Potter back cover (is that what it looks like in the UK?) is awesome. No seriously, it's perfect~ I bow down to your superior scenery drawing skills.

But overusing smiles is fun! :D

Yaaaay! Pressuring people does work! :D

Your Wicked drawings make me stupidly happy inside. There can never be enough Wicked fanart~ <3

M'kay, the Phoenix is not only cute as hell, but the attention to detail on the plumage and colouring makes it look very impressive. And it looks cute and young but still majestic at the same time.

The Luxray's head is very pretty; the eye is cool and the fluffiness of the, uh, head-fluff is love. I think the legs are a little short, particularly the front ones. The paws are lovely, though.

Pirate Ampharos is so cute. I love the belt and little sword and you should draw more of this little guy.

The Elphie Lives picture is brilliant. I wish I had the patience to draw out something that big and colourful. And it’s so happy. I think I got about five faces?

The Azumarill on the Change picture is cute as hell, and aside from the wings being a little small, the Flygon is very well-proportioned, which is very hard to do.
You have really pretty handwriting~

I really like G(a)linda's left hand, too, though there's something off about her right one (I feel like the mother of all hypocrites critting someone about hands, but you asked); it kinda looks like she has five fingers but no thumb. Her hair looks great; curls are stupidly hard to get right, but they look great here. I also love her coat; the flower on the sleeve made me smile :3
I like how you draw eyes, but she isn't really looking at anything here and it'd just look better if she was looking straight ahead or, uh, something. Elphie looks fine.

I think I've already said that I love the cloaked Elphie picture, but just in case; I love it. Especially because black is a horrible colour to shade with, but the flowiness (I'm sure there's a better word for that) of her cloak, scarf and dress look brilliant.

Again, I love how you draw Galinda’s curls (much better than my “let’s draw a fuzzy line and pretend it’s curly :D”, and the head shape is good. I love her little grin <3

I like the colouring on the werewolf, and the paws and head. I think the hind legs are a little too long, but other than that, he’s great.

And the little Charmander is cuuute. Certainly a lot better than my attempts at digital art, but it’d look better with some shadows opposite the tail and mouth flames.

Oh, and you also win the award for Cutest Art Thread Title :3

@Arylett ~ Well, it was just copying somebody else's work but glad you like it. :3 (What does the cover look like in the US...? *Looks it up* Ahh, Voldemort. Looking creepy.)

@Danni ~ Sweet crumpets long post. o.o But thaaankyou, it's all appreciated. (Although - pfft that is not my handwriting. That was me trying to make it look less like a drunken spider covered in ink had staggered across the page. xD;)
Ergh, I know what you mean about Galinda's other hand - looks like a claw of some sort. Nasty. And she is looking a little vacant. I'm glad the coat turned out presentable, because it was originally a mistake: "*draws usual t-shirt outline and inks* ...Oh, shoot. Galinda wearing a t-shirt? Um, um... too late for frills. Flowers! That'll work!"
...Short response to long post but thanks for all the crits and stuff~

Oh no not another attempt at a canine (old)

A Sneaking Feeling...
A doodle of something that happened in my Mystery Dungeon game the other day, which got coloured for some reason. Poor Pidgey. (Also that's my actual handwriting xD; No, I'm not three years old, as it may imply.)

I did the Caterpie/Weedle picture but the colours are seriously messed up because I did it in the semi-dark. Clever. Might see if I can clean it up in Paint Shop.

;;Looks up UK cover;; Whoa, it's amazing~ And you managed to imitate it pretty well!

Houndoom's pretty good though, except the backside. It seems to stick out a bit. And fwehehe, Natu is cute, I love the way its wings are flapping around insanely.

And I love the look on Eevee's face in that picture. It just... XD And Scyther's pretty awesome~ The only thing I would say here is that Eevee is missing its fluffy collar thingy.

XDD the MD pic had me giggling far too much. I think it's the Eevee's face. The Scyther;s a bit wingless, but otherwise very, very good - I think Scyther are one of the hardest-to-draw Pokemon ever.

The Houndoom pic's hilarious too; I love the wibbly little Natu :3 And the Houndoom's expression.
The front legs are great, but I think there's something off aboud the hind ones... uh, this (by Kratos) is a pretty good guide to canine legs.

I still think you're writing's nice. Much better than mine.

Whoops, this is what I get for drawing without a reference. Although I did forget some fairly obvious things in the MD picture. (You would think though, seeing as I'm meant to be the Eevee, I'd remember it.) ^^; The Houndoom was the root of the recent splurge of canine-practicing; mainly due to the awfulness of his backside, as Arylett pointed out.

Oh yes! I saw that guide before, but when I went to actually use it I couldn't remember where I found the link - I've been looking for it, thank you~

Caterpie & Weedle
Finished messing with it - I think I saved it in the wrong format, though, because it's more ... square than it was when I was actually colouring it. o.o

An Unwanted Sea Breeze
Return of the pirate Ampharos. x3

Whoo, Danni, I found that link helpful as well!

Let's see... Caterpie and Weedle are pretty good. I especially like Caterpie, it's so cute on that ball~ But you're right, you saved it in the wrong format. Digital pictures don't look good as JPGs.

XD I love Unwanted Sea Breeze. That Ampharos sure is one swash-buckling Pokemon. It's so adorable. :3

So, um, what should I be saving them as? xD; PNG's? That's what the Charmander was, at least.

I put up a small and kind of crummy banner, yay...? Nothing new though, seeing as I suck at coming up with ideas. D: I spent two hours staring at the same piece of white paper yesterday, but I've got nothing. Suggestions would be loved.

...more Wicked? Something RENT-ish? *hopeful eyes*

The banner's pretty, though; I like the colouring on the bubbles :D

Save them as you would save sprites. PNGs are pretty good.

Also, your banner is so pretty and colourful! I love the bubbles, they're lovely~

Updates dun dun duuun:

Flaming RENT...
... Well, you asked for it. :P It's based on the second (? I think) song in RENT where everyone throws flaming papers at Benny here. I never understood why he looked so relaxed in this part - if I'd had a hoarde of angry bohiemians throwing balls of fire at me I'd be running for cover.

Scyther Swipe
I was trying different poses and ended up converting one to Scyther-anatomy; came out pretty weird. o.o

The Gran Grimoire
A copy I did absolutely ages ago of a tiny picture in my FFTA booklet thingy. Yay...? (One thing though - it looks and acts a bit like the Grimmerie from Wicked, which is weird - did one copy off the other or are they both based on something else? o.O)

So, hum. Doubt there'll be any new stuff until after the weekend, but from then you should probably expect Wicked-y stuff becuase I'll have seen it by then~ :D

Both of the Pirate Ampharos pictures are awesome. It has beautiful eyes. :D The hat's a nice touch, and the belt looks cool.

The Mystery Dungeon one made me chuckle, which either shows how easily amused I am or how good you are at putting across a funny concept in a drawing; or possibly a combination of both. Anyhow, the idea is awesome and the drawing itself is very good. The Scyther's blades could maybe do with looking a bit more sharp, possibly more slender at the ends and with a more defined curve at the end of the scythes. But Scyther does seem hard to get right, and I think you did a great job.

Aand I'll take this opportunity to mention that the mouth on the swiping Scyther looks slightly odd, probably because it makes the Scyther look much more humanoid, although that could have been the intention; in which case, please forgive me. xD; It'd look more Scyther-ish if you drew the mouth low on the right side (the side that's on our right); sorta running up diagonally close to the edge of its jaw from a point close to its chin. Uh, I suck at explaining what I mean sometimes. ^^; Scyther's face can be pretty confusing, though, and I think you drew it well overall.

Ahahahaw, the Caterpie is so sweet. o_o Damn. It's so cute. And the Flygon is absolutely gorgeous. The colouring on it looks lovely. So pretty. :3

I really like the way you've shaded the RENT guy's jacket. It looks excellent.

Heh, the text in the Houndoom drawing reminds me of those funny birthday cards with old black and white photos of people and something amusing put on them, often beginning with words like "It wasn't until...". I dunno if you've seen them, but yeah. The drawing amuses me, anyway, and I admire your ability to draw Houndoom.

XDD Unamused Benny I love it! I especially adore his rainbow umbrella <3
You're right, he is far too okay with people throwing fireballs at him in that scene o.o
God, I want to see how it all works in the stage version~

Woah, the detail on the Grimoire is pretty impressive. How long did that take you?

I agree that the Scyther's face is a little off, but the pose is plain awesome <3

Eeee Wickedy stuff~ <3

I find that Flaming RENT one funny. It made me chuckle, the expression on his face~ So perfectly apathetic! XD

Also, Scyther's pose is pretty good! But as Dannichu said, the face is a bit weird. Also, the scythes look a bit small, maybe they should be protruding more outward...? Nice shading and colouring though, I really do like it.

And lastly, the Grimoire is VERY detailed. Holy crap. I wouldn't have the patience to put all those little patterns on it. Good job!

The flegling phoenix is adorable <3 I wouldn't have the attention span to use that amount of effort into each feather, though the wing atamony is a slightly off. Each layer of feathers differ from one another, with top being smaller and compact, and the lowest part longer, and more feather-like. I fail at describing things, so try looking up images of wings; it's much use a reference. The eyes are a bit akwardly placed. I quite like the tail, too <333

Flazeah: I get what you mean about the mouth, don't worry. xD; The whole thing is sort of off because it started out human and got altered, and I didn't think to change the mouth, shoot. I'll get Scyther right one day *shakes fist at air*
Oh yes! I've seen those cards. I'd actually forgotten all about them. And thank you~

Danni: How long did it take me...? Um, ages. XD I don't know really, but I remember complaining that my hand was going to fall off from the colouring.
(How on Earth would it work on stage? o.O)

Arylett & Spoon~ Thank you for crits and things. Notes to self: use references and make Scyther more lethal-looking >3

Told you there'd be Wicked stuff~

Wicked Chibi-things, ended up looking distinctly Dannichuish (to me at least); some are bookverse and some are musicalverse and Dr. Dillamond is sort of something in between o.O:
wicked-chibis.jpg

Jekyll/Hyde Elphaba
Sort of based on at the end of the book where she kind of loses it a little. x3; Mainly because of this song from Jekyll & Hyde (You can't control me, I live deep inside you, Each day you'll feel me devour your soul~ >D), but I suppose it could work for No Good Deed too. My black pencil is being reduced to a stump with all this Elphie stuff I've been drawing D:

A Kinovahat~
kinovahat2.jpg

It's Arylett's fault. x3

Back
Top Bottom