• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Gingerbread Biscuits

Ah, you crazy kid and your fandom which I know absolutely nothing about~ The chibis are Dannichuish. (And uh... those people look good standing there. You know those guys? Yeah...? ^^ And the colours are pretty awesome too, nice and vivid. :D)

Kinovahat! ;;Sticks a rainbow feather in her Kinovahat and calls it macaroni;; :3 I love it, thank you for my shiny new Kinovahat~ ;;Styling in Kinovahat and Arylettjumper;;

Last edited:
Oh fudge people have actually been looking at this stuff - *hides*

Well, if you didn't want us to look why'd you ask us to look at it? :3

I like a lot of your work. :D But there are a few things that sorta bothered me..

Um.. your Phoenix.. its wings are sorta.. bent. I don't think wing bones bend like that. And the feathers.. I like your feathers, but the way you layered it upon layer upon layer upon layer at the bottom made it sorta seem like its a very thick wing with inches of feathers stacked upon each other. [I didn't say that well. D:]

Luxray. Aside from it being a little light [don't worry, I don't blame you] and the thick legs and whatnot I think the eye's a little too high up on its head. And the fur on its head makes it look like a Super-sayan xP

Flygon x Azumarill- It's really cute! But the flygon's wings are too small to carry it, and looking at the azumarill, it looks like it's going to rock over onto its back if it's not careful.

Charmander- forehead's too big, that's all I have to say. [aaah, brain tumor!] oh, and you fergot to colour the belly tan [or whatever colour it is]. And the tail's quite.. blunt at the end.

Houndoom- what Miss Arylett said.

Weedle- Your weedle's head is smaller than most weedle I've seen. But it's so CUUUUTE~ Maybe you shouldn't have outlined the caterpie's mouth, it looks kinda funny.

Scyther Swipe- I like the position and the way you drew him. But the mouth sorta.. well, looks like it shouldn't be in that place. And the scyther's foot.. it looks like a boot xD

Everything is awesome even if I said they have little funny tidbits to them. I have to say, my favorite is your ampharos ^^ kawaii desu!!~

My crit sucks, so you don't have to listen x3

The Wicked chibis are so cuuuute~
I particularly love Nessa's stubby arms, Galinda's dress and little smile, Elphie's hat and Fiyero's clothes and diamond. And the overall bookverse-ness of the whole picture.

I hear you on the black pencil reduced to a stump-thing. My pink is nearly non-existant and I've got three different black pencils and they're all short. Even my greens (and I've got about five zillion of them) are comparitively short X3

The shading on the splitElphie is very, very good; black's a nightmare to shade with, and it looks very good here, especially on the hair. I love the idea for this, too; I quite liked (in the most non-sadistic way possible) how she went more or less mad towards the end of the book, what with everything that happened, while she was simply misunderstood because of propaganda in the musical.

And the Kinova hat makes me happy :D

(Arylett you should see Wicked. Or read the book - it's amazing. Or maybe just watch some clips from the musical online. Or even the symopsis on Wiki since you have no idea what we're talking about ^^)

Thanks, guys~

@Arylett: Yeah, I know those guys. XD (Also - Wicked~ Read it~ :D)

@Crowned Cloud: Ooh, many crits. I apprieciate them, thank you. I'll try to work on all that stuff~ Though I think the main thing from everyone is that I should learn to draw with some references; that way I'll (hopefully) have fewer weirdly-winged birds, funny-legged canines and... less tumored fire lizards. :P

@Danni: Thank you~ My collection of colouring pencils is more or less full of odd pencils from various selections that have all been used up, so they're all quite short but the black is tiny. I really should buy some new ones.

I actually only have one thing to post right now; more chibi-things... they're fun to draw.

villan-chibis.jpg

I dunno how recognisable they are, though. XD; So! Chibi villans, from left to right: Sylar, off the TV show Heroes (he steals brains... yeah); Voldemort, from Harry Potter; The Joker from the new Batman movie; Toby (or "the guy who got all posessed by Satan") from Doctor Who; Davy Jones from the Pirates movies (<3) and Cruella DeVil from 101 Dalmations (because I noticed there were no female villans D:)

Davy Jones looks brilliant. :D I really like the colours and shading you've done, and the way you've done all the characters' eyes is so cute. And Davy Jones' hat is cool, as is his pegleg. Cruella de Vil looks great too. I like her expression; it looks menacing and cute. And the way you've drawn her coat is neat - especially the fur. You've managed to actually make it look fuzzy. The shading's really good.

Am in the process of watching the Musical, does that count? Taahaha.

Ooh, Miss Arylett? I like that~ It makes me feel like a Southern belle or something. "Miss Arylett, you are lookin' mighty fine to-day." Miss Arylett: "Why thank you, Jedediah! Ya'll are lookin' pretty sharp too!"

So anyways, back to the art in Kinovaville! Voldy~ Muhehehe.

And wow, you managed to draw the Joker looking both cute and creepy at the same time. Like Flazeah said, the shading is great on all of them~

And the first dude's expression is freaky, that's good. Is that a brain he's holding? Wow.

Cruella's good, but the hair, it's sort of funky. It doesn't really look like hair, I can't describe it, just looks weird. ;;Vague Arylett strikes again!;; The expression though, whew, good, good, freaky, good.

Davy Jones is nicety nice nice! His tentacle thingies are well-drawn, they really flow~

Last edited:
Oh my God, Davy Jones is far, far too adorable <3 I also love the little skull coming out of Voldy's wand. They're all gorgeous~

Ehe, it's stupid that Davy Jones has the most complicated design but it's the only one I didn't need a reference for~ But yeah, I love his whole design and stuff to bits, so. I know Cruella's hair is kind of off, but I was feeling too lazy to fix it at the time. *cringe*

And now... neglecting my art thread? Me? Surely not... *looks around shiftily*

Well, I sort of have. But I have a reason! I've been working on a meme~ A rather lengthly one, so I've been trying to finish it before posting. It's a Harry Potter one, because I love reading other's people's memes on dA (even if I'm not a member there X3;) and wanted to try filling one in. You can tell which questions I was feeling lazy with. :P

Loooong meme

And also! An Arylettopian Battle Costume~
Arylett and I were talking and I somehow ended up being knighted a Royal Fashion Knight of Arylettopia, so I designed a battle costume for the country. Yeah~ X3

Last edited:
sadljgde that meme was amazing <3~

Ravenclaw Kinova is too cute~ And I love Dumbledore's blue-and-yellow outfit, it's awesome. Crying Cho is great (I don't like Cho D<) and snuggly!Snape is too cute for words. I absolutely love the sphinx's head (I loved that part in the book, too <3), and I could tell Tonks was done in CLAMP's style because I saw "CCS-style" X3
PikachuDumbledore is the best thing I've seen all day. All week. Oh god, he's fantastic <3
Dumbledore dressed as Dobby is hilarious, too. I want his socks~
BabyChibi Snape and Lily are cute as hell (I want Lily's shirt X3) and HP/Avenue Q is one of the best crossovers in the history of ever. Aww, that bit of It Sucks To Be Me suits Hermione~

...and I'm done dissecting it. <3

And the Arylettoutfit is really awesome; the poses are cool, and the design on the clothes is so cool; I want those boots with spikes on so badly~

This post was brought to you by Excessive Use of Tildes~

The Queen of Arylettopia commends you, Kinova! She commends you, her Captain of the Royal Fashion Knights, for a job most well done! :3 ;;Gives Kinova MANY Awesome Points;; Oh my God, I lovelovelove the Arylettopian Battle Costume~ The colours are just so appropriate and I love how you drew the Atnura Mourmedy Charcill. <3<3 (That's the name of the weird red symbol in Arylett's signature) Also, stabby boots are still awesomenocity, they're funkalicious, Kinova man, funkalicious~ And I love the sword, man, the sword! It's like black and awesome and just :DD ;;Ramblerambleramble;; <3<3

Also I agree with Dannichu, Ravenclaw Kinova is adorable~ :3 The whole thing made me giggle though, especially Dumbles as Pikachu and Voldy as Spiritomb. X3 I think you choose really appropriate Pokémon. And oh my God, Dumbledore in Dobby's clothes is PRICELESS. ;;Goes into a mad fit of giggles;; And Kinova as Harry just made me laugh so much~

Why yes, I'm in a really good mood today~

Last edited:
Aw, thanks Danni, Arylett~ I had fun with the meme, glad you liked it. (The CLAMP style looks so much cooler than mine, I was jealous when I finished that part. XD)

And good thing the Queen approves of the costume. X3

Uh, so, I've been neglecting the place again. I have a couple of little pictures, though.

Okay, so I have this problem: I always draw people wearing the same jeans and a t-shirt, with the same eyes/hairstyle only in different colours. So to force myself to draw people differently, I tried to draw some people I know. So we have Rosie, a friend of mine (uh totally haven't kind of adopted the CLAMP style hair) and my sister Katie. Whose hands look awful in this but I like the feet.

Aaaand finally Elphaba and Galinda because I haven't drawn them in a while. :D (Also, experimenting with poses made Galinda look very weird in this).

EDIT: Adurr I forget the main point to this update. I'm opening requests, in an attempt to make me draw something substantial. Um, I'll probably take two at a time. Yay? ;>>

Last edited:
;;Looks at last comment;; X3 I really was in a good mood that day.

Okay! So Arylett likes the way Kinovacakes does her humans~ Oh yes, she likes it very much! I don't know, they're just cute, but at the same time detailed and just awesome. I especially like the way you draw eyes, it contributes to the prettyliciousness and adorablity of it all! Lots of details, like folds in clothes and that sort of thing. You draw curly hair really awesomenocity too! Oh, I just do a bunch of squiggles. The shading in all of your drawings though is marvelous and just in the right places!

But there's one issue I do see, with the Katie picture. The arm she's holding up is a bit stuff, the lines are rather straight, it doesn't really look like she has a wrist, if you know what I'm saying.

Oh and you're taking requests? Fweee! You know what I want to see? I want to see Arylett in a Arylettopian Battle Costume. X3 I want to see what I would look like in your style.

Also adurr is a cool word~ ;;Adds it to Awesomenocityarylettdictionary;;

Last edited:
Eee, they're all so cute! I love Rosie; she looks adorable, and I love what she's wearing. It looks like winter pajamas, which are the nicest things to wear in the world. And the colours are <3 The hair is several shades of awesome, too.

Katie's cute, too; her clothes look really awesome as well, and you're so good at arms and hands~ The legs look a little... lumpy? though, but the feet are so much better than anything I could draw D:

And eeee at the Glinda/Elphie pic (no, really. I did eeee). Elphie's pose is very cool and the hands are awesome, and I still like how you do Glinda's hair, although Glinda's lower half looks a little... small?
But I love it so much <3

I'd request something, but we both know it'd be more Wicked-ish pictures, so I'll just wait till you draw them again :D

@Arylett ~ Really? You like them...? I really don't like the way my humans come out, all lumpy and awkward and ew. But, ah, okay.

Um, I accept your request! And... here it is. X3 I could pick holes in it all day, but I'll just say OH FLIPPERS THE LEFT HAND ERGH SORRY and shut up. Because you don't all want to listen to me whinge.

@Danni ~ I have no idea what she's wearing, to be honest. XD But ahh, winter pajamas~ Makes it even harder to drag myself out of bed, they're so snuggly~ X3 Katie's legs are sort of lumpy... especially seeing as really she's all stick-like and titchy. :P And that was exactly what I meant by Galinda looking 'very weird'. I tried to change the position of her leg but it was so awkward already and argh. Glad you liked it, though~

Only posting one picture makes this post seem insubstantial, so have an old Rayquaza I did.

And a picture I did in my art class. I picked Japanese art as my next unit... having some problems coming up with ideas for the final project and stuff. ;>>

Expect Halloweeny/Nightmare Before Christmas stuff soonish. Seeing as, you know, it's coming up and gah I love that movie~ What's This? is so upbeat I love it~ X3

Haha, Arylett looks so good X3 How long did doing her hair like that take you? The coat looks damn good.

The Rayquaza's mouth is a little big, but the body shape is amazing and I love its right arm for some reason. I guess Rayquaza arms normally look a little silly, given how tiny they are, but that one looks really good.

And the Japanese picture is very pretty; the eyes and head-shape are very traditional-Japanese-picture-looking and the pattern on the kimono is lovely <3

Of course! Would I say it if I didn't mean it Kinovacakes? Your humans are good, trust me.

Two words.

Brilliance. Awesomenocity.

YES.

ARYLETT IS YES.

SO MUCH YES THAT I MUST USE CAPITAL LETTERS.

I look so good. Lovelovelove it! Oh, my hell hair must've taken you FOREVER. No Kinova. Brilliance awesomenocity. Brilliance awesomenocity.

You are good. And the hands don't even look like flippers like you thought! They look very good. I like how you did the knuckles, just excellent, sheer excellence and detail! It is so much awesomenocity, words cannot even express.

Thank you Kinova~ <3

Rayquaza's body is just wow. It's so perfectly snaky, Dannichu said it all. The mouth is the only problem though, just as she said, it's a bit big. Especially the bottom part, the jaw, protrudes a bit too much.

Aw, you guys are sweet to keep commenting here. X3

How long did the hair take? Uh, I dunno... a while, but I like how it came out. And, woo~ Most parts of the Japanese Woman one I based off other pictures, but the kimono design was me. :P

Glad you liked it, Arylett~ Your comments are too lovely. X3

Uhum so - I have some new stuff.

Happy Halloween~
... It's a pumpkin. :D

Rawr. A vague attempt at me as a Tim Burton-esque character.

*Sniffle*
...So I watched my shiny new Rent DVD the other day. ;.; I love that film, but maaan it's so sad.

Aaaaand finally~ Putting this properly in the thread, because I'm actually pleased with it. Novelty, I know.

davy-jones-caramellcolour.jpg

Slimy Caramelldansen; the newest addition to the bandwagon~

Last edited:
Woah, the pencil work on the pumpkin is really, really cool; the time taken to put it into different sections and how it gets lighter towards the middle and stuff just looks excellent. And the bright orange of the light from inside is striking and awesome :D

The Tim Burton pic is great; the deathly grey skin colour is perfect, and all the raggedy-ness and stiches and such look really great. And the big eyes are very Burtonish.

Aww @ RentwatchingKinova ;; Man, I've been there. Many times.

And slimey Caramelldansen is too disturbingly cute for words; I love his little claw and big grin and awwww <3

Love the pumpkin, the mouth and eyes just seem to glow. Colouring's really nice, especially the shading. And it is striking, the orange, just as Danni said. Looks like light, actual fire!

Oh my God, I love Burton Kinova~ She is COOL, oh yeah. All patchy and raggedy and actually, she sort of looks like Sally from A Nightmare Before Christmas, but more colourful. I especially like the green parts! Oh yes, I really like the green. The arms are pretty awesomenocity too and the anatomy's just generally nice and good~ And the hair! I love the hair too, yep.

Rentwatching Kinova's expression amuses Arylett. X3 She looks so dazed, or has this dreamy look in her eyes or maybe like she's really teared up about some Epic Part. I don't know, I just LOVE her expression. The shading's nice and grand and good, mmm-hmm, looks like there's light coming out of that TV.

And yaaay, Slimydansen. Arylett has expressed her sentiments on this picture already. Disturbingly cute sums it up pretty well. And it looks even better coloured! Ahahaha. X3

Back
Top Bottom