• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

ultraviolet vs Chaon

Not Meowth

Cat, are you drilling?
well I'd really like another battle :B
2vs2 single
Style: Switch
DQ: Seven Days
Damage Cap: 30%
Banned Moves: OHKOs, Direct-Healing moves, Earthquake, Weather-changing moves.
Arena: Underground Cave

The battle takes place in an underground cave around 500m below the surface. Special lanterns have been affixed to the walls around the arena to provide light; these cannot be extinguished by pokemon. The cave is high-ceilinged and about the size of two tennis courts side-by-side. There are a few small cave ponds, no deeper than 1.5m deep and 3m wide. There is a small passage at one end of the room where the trainers will enter and exit, but this is off-limit to battlers.
Pokemon Rangers in the area have placed a ban on Earthquake, as they haven't detemined how stable this cave is just yet. Stalactites litter the ceiling, and can and will fall if a tremor shakes the vicinity - take care when using attacks like stomp or body slam! Falling Stalactites will deal 5% rock damage, and they fall straight down (there is 50% chance that they won't hit, because of this). Large boulders and stones litter the arena and can provide shelter. The air is breathable, but the cave is not well-ventilated, so air-based moves such as smog or poison gas will take three actions longer to disappear than they would ordinarily.
Can I request stage-one or baby pokemon only? I'm new to this and I don't especially want to be pummelled by your charizard just yet.

ultraviolet's active squad:
Ponyta [Deuce] (M) <Flash Fire>
Duskull [Theresa] (F) <Levitate>
Budew [Squire] (M) <Poison Point>
Chinchou [Lyre] (F) <Volt Absorb>
Nidoran♀ [Gwen] (F) <Poison Point>

Chaon's active squad:
Vulpix [Bael] (M) <Flash Fire>
Ponyta [Valence] (F) <Flash Fire>
Growlithe [Mendall] (M) <Flash Fire>
Teddiursa [Theod] (F) <Quick Feet>

- ultraviolet sends out
- Chaon sends out and attacks
- ultraviolet attacks

Go, Bael! Start with Imprison. That'll disable a few of their attacks. Then use Quick Attack, and finish with a safeguard.

Imprison ~ Quick Attack ~ Safeguard

Okay Deuce, this is your first battle so let's do a good job~

I'd like you to use toxic before your opponent gets that safeguard up, and if you manage to do that, try hypnosis. If you've already done these or he's put up the safeguard, finish with headbutt.

Toxic ~ Toxic (if it fails the first time)/Hypnosis ~ Hypnosis(if it failed the first time)/Headbutt

((Since technically Bael also knows hypnosis and toxic, wouldn't the imprison prevent him from using them?))

2vs2 single

The battle takes place in an underground cave around 500m below the surface. Special lanterns have been affixed to the walls around the arena to provide light; these cannot be extinguished by pokemon. The cave is high-ceilinged and about the size of two tennis courts side-by-side. There are a few small cave ponds, no deeper than 1.5m deep and 3m wide. There is a small passage at one end of the room where the trainers will enter and exit, but this is off-limit to battlers.
Pokemon Rangers in the area have placed a ban on Earthquake, as they haven't detemined how stable this cave is just yet. Stalactites litter the ceiling, and can and will fall if a tremor shakes the vicinity - take care when using attacks like stomp or body slam! Falling Stalactites will deal 5% rock damage, and they fall straight down (there is 50% chance that they won't hit, because of this). Large boulders and stones litter the arena and can provide shelter. The air is breathable, but the cave is not well-ventilated, so air-based moves such as smog or poison gas will take three actions longer to disappear than they would ordinarily.
Can I request stage-one or baby pokemon only? I'm new to this and I don't especially want to be pummelled by your charizard just yet.

The product of millenia and millenia of erosion and weathering, the Underground Cave is an annoyingly long way underground, far further than the referee cares to travel. But go there he must, all thanks to ultraviolet. He staggers, panting, through the small opening at the end of the cave (you'd have thought the League'd provide some kind of vehicle or something to get you all the way down here, I mean really), fights for his breath back and examines the arena; it really is a tremendously large cave, so tall he can barely see the ceiling if not for the dozens of long, dangerously sharp stalactites poking down from it, even aided by the numerous flickering torches. He hears footsteps echoing down the tunnel, and avoiding the smallish pools of water, walks to the end of the cave to wait for the battlers to struggle down there.

A few minutes later, Chaon and ultraviolet arrive. The referee nods at them, and they shake hands and go to their positions at opposite sides of the cave. ultraviolet is first to choose her Pokémon, and confidently grabs a ball from her pocket and hurls it to the ground. A burst of red light shines out and forms itself into the shape of a small horse; namely, Deuce the Ponyta. Chaon considers this choice for a moment before throwing his own ball to the floor. Out of it comes Bael the Vulpix. The referee nods to both of the battlers; they issue their commands, and the battle begins!

Round One

ultraviolet (OO)
Ponyta
Deuce (M) <Flash Fire>
Health: 100%
Energy: 100%
Commands: Toxic ~ Toxic (if it fails the first time)/Hypnosis ~ Hypnosis(if it failed the first time)/Headbutt

Chaon (OO)
Vulpix
Bael (M) <Flash Fire>
Health: 100%
Commands: Imprison ~ Quick Attack ~ Safeguard

The considerably more sprightly Deuce is the first to move. He listens to his trainer's commands intently and nods with a snort. He then gallops towards Bael, who braces himself for some kind of savage impact. However Deuce comes to a halt right in front of the fox. Bael blinks and lets out a confused "Vul?". What is his opponent doing, just standing in front of him coughing? This isn't an attack, this is- Bael's thoughts are silenced with a disgusted yelp as Deuce spews a horrible purple mixture of toxins all over him. The poison burns into his fur, causing a horrible stinging sensation. Bael snarls, flinching from the pain- Deuce is gonna get it for that. Bael goes over his commands- Imprison? Now? Bael looks over at his trainer and raises a confused eyebrow. He... does know what Imprison does, right? Bael shrugs- orders are orders, he reasons- and begins to mutter an incantation, and Deuce feels Bael's psychic powers worming their way into his mind, trying to lock out some areas of his knowledge. However, when the sensation lifts Deuce feels no different. The horse shrugs it off, and Bael shoots his trainer a sheepish glance.

Determined to overcome that embarrassment, Bael growls and dashes across the cave toward his opponent at breakneck speed. The Ponyta whinnies and tries to avoid it but Bael is moving too fast. He pounces and collides into Deuce's side, so hard that the Ponyta is almost knocked over. Deuce regains his balance and snorts furiously, but composes himself and stares deep into Bael's eyes. Bael stares back, oddly transfixed on Deuce's eyes, so much so that he barely notices them starting to glow red... he hears an odd disembodied voice in his head: you are getting sleepy. Veeerrry, veeerrry sleepy... The voice has a point, Bael thinks with a yawn... maybe if he... just rests his... eyes for a seczzzzzzzz

Deuce snorts victoriously at his incapacitated opponent, and starts to gallop towards Bael's comatose figure. He builds up speed and lowers his head, darting straight towards the sleeping fox until his head impacts Bael's side, tossing the Vulpix across the arena. Bael flies a good few feet before landing on the cave floor with a dull thud. He gives a quiet half-yelp before rolling over and continuing his sleep. A few seconds later he twitches as the poison starts to take hold.

ultraviolet (OO)
Ponyta
Deuce (M) <Flash Fire>
Health: 97%
Energy: 88%
Attacks used: Toxic ~ Hypnosis ~ Headbutt

Chaon (OO)
Vulpix
Bael (M) <Flash Fire>
Health: 91%
Energy: 92%
Status: sore and sleepy. Asleep (severe); badly poisoned (3% damage this round, rising to 4% next round)
Attacks used: Imprison ~ Quick Attack ~ asleep

Terrain Notes
Nothing to mention.

Final Notes
- Chaon, according to the Attacks and Abilities guide, in ASB Imprison only locks moves the user has already performed in the battle, so I made Imprison fail.
- Bael was asleep and unable to use Safeguard on the third action.
- ultraviolet attacks first next round.
- Woo, my first proper reffing and I don't think I made any huge mistakes :D

Last edited:
Alrighty, Deuce, here's what I want you to do.

First up, since you're doing so well I'd like you to pull off a Return, you clever little fire pony you. :3 Once that's done I'd like you to use Stomp, then quickly get out of the way, because if we're lucky then you'll cause a few stalactites to fall and score some extra damage. While we're at it, let's see what Hidden Power will give us.

If he manages to wake up, use Double Team instead of Stomp on the second action.

Return ~ Stomp + get out of the way/Double Team (if Bael is awake) ~ Hidden Power

Bael, I swear if you don't wake up now, I won't let you sleep for a month. Start by protecting youself, then dig farther down into the ground, and then chill there for a round.

Protect ~ Dig ~ Chill

2vs2 single

Round Two

ultraviolet (OO)
Ponyta
Deuce (M) <Flash Fire>
Energy: 88%
Commands: Return ~ Stomp + get out of the way/Double Team (if Bael is awake) ~ Hidden Power

Chaon (OO)
Vulpix
Bael (M) <Flash Fire>
Health: 91%
Energy: 92%
Status: sore and sleepy. Asleep (severe); badly poisoned (3% damage this round, rising to 4% next round)
Commands: Protect ~ Dig ~ Chill

Bael's quiet snores echo around the cave as the trainers consider their next actions. Deuce grows more confident by the minute as he watches his sleeping opponent, which as yet has barely managed to scratch him. He's feeling pretty good at the moment- this "battling" is easy! He's ridiculously far ahead. He looks to his trainer and smiles; he should do something to impress her. It's thanks to her that he's doing this well, after all. He gallops towards Bael and begins to kick at him with all his might, fuelled by the euphoria of victory. Bael mutters with each kick, but remains sound asleep.

Deuce snorted at the Vulpix, still feeling pretty good. Since he's on a roll, why not really pound it into the thing? He raises his hooves again and brings them down hard onto Bael's side. The fox's eyes flutter, but then snap shut again; he sighs and continues sleeping. The impact from the stomp sends a vibration through the ground and up a nearby pillar; the fragile stalactites on the ceiling start to crumble from the shock. Thinking fast, Deuce follows his trainer's advice and starts to leg it across the cave away from the site of impact, before the huge rocky needles start to fall. Which they do- right onto Bael. One of the biggest of them drops right off and spikes Bael in the side. His eyes snap open at last with a cry of pain as the stalactite falls sideways and smashes into his side. He rises shakily to his feet and listens to his trainer commanding him to dig. Quivering, he begins to scratch at the rock with his claws, but the pain from the Stomp causes him to twitch too violently to make any progress.

Deuce thinks over his commands... Hidden Power? But he's so tired... he just ran right across the cave! He's kind of exhausted... surely his trainer won't mind if he ignores that one. They're so far ahead anyway. He sees the ref eyeing him warily, and decides it's best not to. Bael pants, grateful for this break from the onslaught, and curls up on the floor to have a quick rest. His peace is disturbed only by the pain of the poison flowing further into his body.

ultraviolet (OO)
Ponyta
Deuce (M) <Flash Fire>
Energy: 73%
Commands: Return ~ Stomp + get out of the way

Chaon (OO)
Vulpix
Bael (M) <Flash Fire>
Health: 64%
Status: feeling very much worse for wear. badly poisoned (4% damage this round, rising to 5% next round)
Commands: asleep ~ flinch ~ Chill

Terrain Notes
One stalactite is missing from the ceiling in the centre of the cave, and is now lying in a crumbled pile on the floor near Bael. Deuce is now standing about 10 yards away, over near ultraviolet, so any direct contact attack will require some extra energy to get to its target.

Final Notes
- Bael was asleep first action. As only Sleep Talk and Snore can be used while sleeping, Protect failed.
- The Stomp caused Bael to flinch on the second action; it also improved its Sleep condition, which the stalactite then removed entirely. I don't think a Vulpix can really dig through solid rock anyway, so I'd probably have made it fail.
- Two actions were combined on the second action, meaning Deuce had a total of four commands; thus Hidden Power wasn't allowed.
- Chaon attacks first next turn.

Now that you're awake, let's give this stupid little pony a fight to remember. Start with a quick attack, follow up with a confuse ray, then finish with a dark pulse!

Quick Attack ~ Confuse Ray ~ Dark Pulse

Okay, I want you to use Double Team to make four clones of yourself, so hopefully you'll be able to negate most of his attacks. Then Protect yourself from his Confuse Ray and chill for the remainder of the round.
You're doing so great, Deuce! <3

Double Team (four clones) ~ Protect ~ Chill

2vs2 single

Round Three

ultraviolet (OO)
Ponyta
Deuce (M) <Flash Fire>
Energy: 73%
Commands: Double Team (four clones) ~ Protect ~ Chill

Chaon (OO)
Vulpix
Bael (M) <Flash Fire>
Health: 64%
Status: feeling very much worse for wear. badly poisoned (4% damage this round, rising to 5% next round)
Commands: Quick Attack ~ Confuse Ray ~ Dark Pulse

Bael yawns and stretches, still a bit groggy from her recent sleep, and the chill didn't really help much. Suddenly, the lethargic fox bounds over the stalactite at lightning speed and darts across the cave towards Deuce. Before the horse can even think of dodging, the fox has reached him and pounces into his chest at great speed. The momentum knocks Deuce back about a foot, and he regains balance, shakes his head with a snort and begins to run back and forth in front of Bael. The Vulpix tries to follow him with his eyes, but he dissolves into a mere blur of afterimages. When he finally stops, the afterimages fan out, until there are five Deuces standing in front of Bael in a line.

All five Deuces close their eyes, and a shining blue wall starts to appear in front of them all. Bael's eyes, however, flash with a bright light that forms two beams, which then focus on Deuce's eyes. The moment they hit the barrier, however, it flashes and turns opaque, shielding the Ponyta from the blinding effect of the rays.

Growing ever more complacent, Deuce sinks to his knees as the barrier fades away, shuts his eyes, and starts to rest. Bael, however, is eager to start dealing out some hurt. He focuses on all the terrible thoughts he's had about Deuce throughout the course of this battle, and his eyes glow with a dark purple energy. His tails rise eerily and start to flutter in the air, and the glow from his eyes spreads around his body. With a growl, he stomps his forelegs on the ground, spreading the malicious aura across the arena in a wave of disturbing purple energy. However, this sweeps through a clone by mistake, which fades as the aura passes through. Bael curses his rotten luck, and the next moment, Bael howls in pain from the worsening poison. He sighs, recognising he's still not doing too well.

ultraviolet (OO)
Ponyta
Deuce (M) <Flash Fire>
Health: 94%
Energy: 75%
Attacks used: Double Team ~ Protect ~ chill

Chaon (OO)
Vulpix
Bael (M) <Flash Fire>
Health: 59%
Energy: 86%
Status: even more demoralised. badly poisoned (5% damage this round, rising to 6% next round)
Attacks used: Quick Attack ~ Confuse Ray ~ Dark Pulse

Terrain Notes
Towards the centre of the cave, there is a large pile of rubble that used to be a stalactite.

Final Notes
- Quick Attack allowed Bael to cross the cave without taking an extra action or increased energy.
- Confuse Ray was blocked by Protect.
- Dark Pulse hit a clone.
- I'm starting to feel really sorry for poor little Bael T~T
- ultraviolet attacks first next turn.

:D
You're going great. Try Swagger, see if you can confuse him a little, and then go with Return. Finally, end with Hidden Power to see if we get something super-effective.
If he protects, chill.

Swagger/Chill ~ Return/Chill ~ Hidden Power/Chill

(Sorry for taking so long.)

Okay. You're doing fine. Just try to relax and focus. First, get as far away from your opponent as possible. Then use Double Team, and make two copies of yourself. Then Stomp.

Get as far away as possible ~ Double Team(2 Copies) ~ Stomp

2vs2 single

Round Four
ultraviolet (OO)
Ponyta
Deuce (M) <Flash Fire>
Commands: Swagger/Chill ~ Return/Chill ~ Hidden Power/Chill

Chaon (OO)
Vulpix
Bael (M) <Flash Fire>
Health: 59%
Energy: 86%
Status: even more demoralised. badly poisoned (5% damage this round, rising to 6% next round)
Commands: Get as far away as possible ~ Double Team(2 Copies) ~ Stomp

Deuce and his yawns, and he and his clones get up from his rest, feeling slightly revitalised. He looks at his opponent smugly- that fox has still barely touched him! What a joke. Feeling in rather a nasty mood, Deuce decides to taunt him. His clones in tow, he trots up confidently and starts to brag about how far ahead he is, asking Bael if he plans on actually attacking any time soon... Bael isn't in the mood for any of this, and immediately sinks into a murderous rage at Deuce. The Vulpix snarls and starts running away across the cave to plot his revenge; however, thoughts clouded by rage, he stumbles and crashes head-first into the floor. Ouch.

Deuce runs up to him with his companions, ecstatic as ever, and starts to celebrate his good mood on his opponent, kicking him over and over in the back. Bael snarls with each hit, and Deuce rounds off the beating by turning round and slamming his back hooves into Bael's head. Bael whimpers as the force knocks him to the ground, and the Ponytas trot away, smugger than ever, with their bruised opponent hissing in anger. Glaring at Deuce hatefully, Bael begins to run back and forth in front of him, blurring into a mass of afterimages, indistinguishable from them to the naked eye. After a moment he stops, and two identical clones fan out to either side and snarl at Deuce.

Unfazed by this development, Deuce and his double teams start to gather orbs of multicoloured energy from the air. Seventeen glowing orbs, each of a different colour, swirl into the Ponytas' open mouths, where they grow into a massive yellow orb that fizzes with energy. This orb then shoots across the stage towards Bael, and slams into the image on the right. It explodes with a loud zzzap, and Bael whimpers, his clones vanishing as the Hidden Power hits him. Cursing his opponent's luck, Bael gets ready to use his next command- Stomp? What?! He whips round and looks at his trainer frustratedly. How on Earth is a Vulpix supposed to use that? Half-heartedly, he begins to drum his paws on the ground... nope, nothing doing. He couldn't hurt anything with that. Bael sighs crossly, and yelps in pain for a fourth time as the poison wells up stronger than ever.

ultraviolet (OO)
Ponyta
Deuce (M) <Flash Fire>
Energy: 60%
Commands: Swagger ~ Return ~ Hidden Power

Chaon (OO)
Vulpix
Bael (M) <Flash Fire>
Health: 33%
Energy: 84%
Status: incredibly, incredibly annoyed. +2 attack, confused (moderate), badly poisoned (6% damage this round, rising to 7% next round)
Commands: Get as far away as possible ~ Double Team(2 Copies) ~ none

Terrain Notes
Towards the centre of the cave, there is a large pile of rubble that used to be a stalactite.

Final Notes
- Bael became confused on the first action, and subsequently hurt himself and was unable to run away as commanded.
- Hidden Power hit, destroying Bael's clones.
- Vulpix cannot use Stomp; Bael's command failed on the third action. I think you may have gotten the Pokémon confused there, Chaon :P
- Chaon attacks first next round.

Last edited:
((I've had too many failures here. I'm pretty much giving up on winning, now my main objective is to make the opponent suffer.))
This is not turning out well. Why don't you... I don't know, Roar at him? Then fry the little ponies ass. Might not have much effect, but at least you'll be in your element. Try... Fire Spin... I guess. Then... Quick Attack... yeah, why not? Got that?

Roar ~ Fire Spin ~ Quick Attack

2vs2 single

Round Five​
ultraviolet (OO)
Ponyta
Deuce (M) <Flash Fire>
Energy: 60%
Commands: Tail Whip ~ Headbutt ~ Double Kick

Chaon (OO)
Vulpix
Bael (M) <Flash Fire>
Health: 33%
Energy: 84%
Status: incredibly, incredibly annoyed. +2 attack, confused (moderate), badly poisoned (6% damage this round, rising to 7% next round)
Commands: Roar ~ Fire Spin ~ Quick Attack

Bael snarls in anger as his opponent trots up happily. Deuce reaches the Vulpix, turns around and suddenly slaps him across the face with his flaming tail, startling Bael and causing him to let out a roar of mixed surprise and anger. The Ponyta is in turn startled by the roar, whinnying in fright and stumbling several steps back from the fox. Bael chuckles quietly. That showed the big bully.

Deuce's turn comes round again, but the Ponyta is still too shocked to remember his commands. Taking advantage of this disorientation, Bael blows a small line of flame out of his mouth, which starts to float and spin around in the air. Before long Bael has exhaled an enormous, swirling quickly towards Deuce. When the vortex hits Deuce, however, instead of burning him, it gets absorbed into his mane, which bursts out like a volcano to several times its usual length. The referee and battlers step back from the enormous heat radiating from Deuce, who snorts both happily and menacingly at the same time.

Unimpressed, Bael takes off at amazing speed across the cave and tackles Deuce at great speed. By pure chance, he hits the right one, which snorts in pain as its clones vanish into the ether. Deuce responds by again turning his back to Bael, and quick as a flash, his back hoof lashes out and smashes Bael in the face. The fox barely has time to let out a whimper before Deuce kicks out his other hoof, silencing the fox's cries as he slumps to the floor. He struggles to his feet, twitching violently as the poison courses through him. His insane anger passed; he was too weak and tired to be furious.

ultraviolet (OO)
Ponyta
Deuce (M) <Flash Fire>
Health: 89%
Energy: 55%
Status: feeling fantastic. Flash Fire activated (+1 base power to all Fire moves)
Commands: Tail Whip ~ none ~ Double Kick

Chaon (OO)
Vulpix
Bael (M) <Flash Fire>
Health: 18%
Status: beginning to feel worn out. +2 Attack, -1 Defence, badly poisoned (7% damage this round, rising to 8% next round)
Commands: Roar ~ Fire Spin ~ Quick Attack

Terrain Notes

Final Notes
- Forgot to mention last round, Deuce's Hidden Power is Electric-type. Derp.
- Roar startled Deuce, making him unable to attack on the second action.
- Flash Fire absorbed Fire Spin, so it did nothing.
- Quick Attack hit. Bye bye clones.
- Double Kick snapped Bael out of his confusion.
- ultraviolet attacks first next turn.

Back
Top Bottom