• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Negrek vs. Simulator (Zapdos)

blazheirio889

Banned
Pronoun
she
2 vs. 1
DQ Time: 5 days
Damage Cap: None
Banned moves: OHKOs, Chills 5/Pokemon, 1 direct healing/Pokemon, Perish Song
Arena: Basic Stage

The Basic Stage is simply that; a plain expanse of mottled white tiled floor. A large pond of water waits on the side, for Water types to use and stay in. Above is the sky, where for now, the sun hovers far above. There are no special effects, and the field is completely flat, the tiling reaching about a hundred feet square. The tiling isn’t very strong, and can easily be broken for access to dirt for moves such as Dig and Mud Slap.

Negrek's active squad:
Treecko [Havoc] (M) <Overgrow> @EXP Share
Ekans [Apophis] (M) <Intimidate>
Aerodactyl [Sparchaeopteryx] (F) <Pressure>
Absol [Mandarb] (F) <Pressure> @Reaper Cloth
--> Signature Attribute: Light + Poisoned Barb
Sableye [Acheron] (M) <Stall> @Sitrus Berry
--> Defense Move: Magic Coat
Chimchar [Phlogiston] (F) <Blaze> @Heat Rock
Cleffa [Yoshiya] (M) <Magic Guard>
Makuhita (M) <Guts> @Chesto Berry
Wooper [Aximili] (M) <Water Absorb>
Onix (F) <Rock Head> @Metal Coat

And as decreed by the magic quarter that I found randomly lying on my desk:
Negrek sends out.
Zapdos attacks.
Negrek attacks.

Last edited:
Ah, sorry for the wait. Alright.

Zapdos:

Substitute (20%) to start. Then, Reflect. End with Hidden Power - widespread if necessary. Replace Reflect with Extrasensory if Taunted, and replace Hidden Power with Double Team (6 clones) if the target is impossible to hit, with the exception of Substitute.

Substitute (20%) ~ Reflect/Extrasensory ~ Hidden Power/Double Team (6 clones)

Blow up a sandstorm, then dig yourself a deep and twisty tunnel so that Zapdos won't be able to get you with hidden power. Finish by sealing the mouth of your tunnel off with a small rock tomb so that big bad birdy won't be able to stick his beak into your business, hmm? If you can't do that, sharpen instead.

Sandstorm ~ Dig (down) ~ Rock Tomb @ Mouth of tunnel / Sharpen

(( Why are you having the person who gives commands also ref, instead of having you ref Dragon's battles and vice versa? ))

...That's... actually a good question. Dragon and I suck at thinking through things, apparently. I'll contact her as soon as I can and discuss things.

2 vs. 1

The Basic Stage is simply that; a plain expanse of mottled white tiled floor. A large pond of water waits on the side, for Water types to use and stay in. Above is the sky, where for now, the sun hovers far above. There are no special effects, and the field is completely flat, the tiling reaching about a hundred feet square. The tiling isn’t very strong, and can easily be broken for access to dirt for moves such as Dig and Mud Slap.

After the money was exchanged and several small issues were ironed out, Negrek stepped into one of the two spacious simulator rooms. There, she plucked a Pokeball from her belt without a moment’s hesitation and threw it at a spot quite a distance away from herself. The reason became clear within moments: from the opened halves of the sphere poured a great mass of red light, the luminosity rapidly forming into a gigantic snake of rock. Onix growled and looked around, lashing her tail in agitation (and narrowly avoiding knocking her own trainer off her feet), obviously confused by the lack of an opponent.

She wouldn’t be without a foe for long, though. Several clicks and whirs sounded throughout the room, the mechanical sounds quickly joined by many others until it was a blur of squeaky, unpleasant sounds. Movable panels flipped, revealing mirrors underneath, and dozens of beams of coloured light cut through the air. Soon enough, the mind-bogglingly realistic image of a boring stretch of white-tiled floor came into being. About the only interesting aspect of the area was the large pool of water to the side, and that did not, for obvious reasons, appeal to Onix.

There was final, loud beep, and the air roughly two meters away from Onix began to shimmer and flicker. Trainer and Pokemon caught a glimpse of spiky, yellow feathers, a long, narrow beak, and wickedly-curved talons before the hologram flickered to life. Though quite a bit smaller than Onix, Zapdos still exuded a powerful, commanding aura; electricity crackled threateningly across the legendary bird’s feathers, and the screech that emanated from Zapdos’s beak was shrill and imposing. Onix couldn’t help but flinch slightly, despite her obvious type advantages.

Round One

Negrek (OO)

Onix @Metal Coat
Onix (F) <Rock Head>
Health: 100%
Energy: 100%
Commands: Sandstorm ~ Dig (down) ~ Rock Tomb (at tunnel’s mouth)/Sharpen

Simulator (O)

Zapdos
Zapdos (N/A) <Pressure>
Health: 200%
Energy: 200%
Commands: Substitute (20%) ~ Reflect/Extrasensory ~ Hidden Power/Double Team (6 clones)

Zapdos let out another screech, and at the same time a great crack was heard as a magnificent bolt of electricity left the bird’s body. The white-blue streamers congregated in front of its figure, and with another quieter caw, they began to form into an avian shape with ridiculously spiky feathers. Meanwhile, Onix gave a throaty roar and smacked her tail on the tiles several times, not only revealing the dirt underneath that is necessary for a Sandstorm but also crumbling the marble into little bits to provide even more debris. A dry wind began to blow through the arena, picking up sand and broken stone and throwing it every which way. Very soon, the Basic stage was under the effects of a full-fledged Sandstorm.

Though getting progressively grumpier due to the infavourable weather conditions, Zapdos grudgingly brought out the finishing touches on its Substitute. The crackling bird-like avatar gave a caw riddled with static noise as it flexed its insubstantial wings and flapped to its creator’s side.

Apparently unsatisfied with the protection its Substitute was offering, Zapdos closed its eyes and created a sheet of solid energy around itself. Though thin, the barrier was strong enough to slash the velocity of any physical attacks by a considerable amount. Onix didn’t seem worried about the Reflect, though, as she arched her neck and dove head-first into the ground, breaking tiles upon impact and using her immense weight to shove the soil aside, though she did have to work her head about to allow for her horn to fit. Once the rock-snake was several feet under the ground, she abruptly turned left, then back down, to the right, slightly up, to the right again, until the tunnel was so twisty that one would get dizzy just walking through the one-way maze.

Zapdos was obviously itching to give its opponent a beating for her insolence by now, but there was no way it would be able to hit Onix. With an irritable caw Zapdos began to flap its wings so quickly that they became a blur, pushing it into a flight that was too fast for the human eye to follow. Zapdos split into seven entities that were exactly alike, down to the positioning of its feathers – except that six of the seven had sand whipping through them. Proved only to be illusions the instant they were created, the clones flickered and faded away. Zapdos shrieked.

Meanwhile, Onix was focusing her mental energies at the mouth of her tunnel. With a grunt, she tore chunks away from the rim, causing the tunnel’s opening to collapse and fill up within a matter of seconds. If Onix was closer to the opening, she would have no doubt been buried, but from where she was, she only sensed a few harmless bits of dirt pattering down the slope. The burrow, though dark before, was plunged into complete darkness. The only sounds to be heard was the drumming of pebbles tumbling down through the tunnel, Zapdos’s furious screeching, and very faintly, the howling winds of the Sandstorm.

Negrek (OO)

Onix @Metal Coat
Onix (F) <Rock Head>
Energy: 87%

Simulator (O)

Zapdos
Zapdos (N/A) <Pressure>
Health: 178%
Energy: 182%
Status: Very displeased. Substitute: 18%. Reflect activated (3 actions remaining).

Terrain notes
The arena is taking cover under a Sandstorm, which will last for another 9 actions (3 rounds).

Final notes
Negrek attacks first next round.
Many apologies for the delay. It took a while to get in contact with Dragon and to sort out the reffing issues. Since she had already started Linoone’s round, we will ref the first rounds of both battles, and then switch. So Dragon will be reffing the next round. If you have any problems with this one, don’t hesitate to point them out.
Zapdos’s Pressure doesn’t take effect because none of Onix’s attacks targeted it, and Onix doesn’t get the Sp. Defense boost as long as she’s in her tunnel and away from the Sandstorm, right?

Last edited:
(( Ordinarily reflect and light screen last for five actions, not ten, and Onix seems to have used quite a bit of energy--averaging slightly over 5% per attack. Other than that it's fine. No, Onix does not get the sandstorm boost unless actually out in the sandstorm, and pressure only takes effect against attacks that target the pokémon that has it. ))

Great work, Onix. Now... Zapdos has little recourse to attack us outside of its mind-powers. Fortunately, those lose effectiveness with distance just like everything else. So let's dive deeper and put plenty of bedrock between you and that bird's brain. Dig down again, deep as you can with a little curve to the tunnel to prevent any unlikely projectiles from reaching you. That should get us to a nice cozy spot without fear of mental interference. Spend the rest of the round sharpening up.

If Zapdos somehow manages to shift the rock pile off your tunnel entrance, re-seal it (and hopefully catch the substitute) with another rock tomb. After that, if Zapdos is actually in your tunnel, collapse it with earthquake and then escape with dig, leaving Zapdos entombed below.

Dig (down) / Rock Tomb ~ Sharpen / Earthquake ~ Sharpen / Earthquake / Dig (surface)

((I was always under the impression that Reflect and Light Screen lasted three rounds - 9 actions, as Zapdos activated Reflect on the 2nd action. Also, weather moves take 4% energy by my scale, Dig would ordinarily take 6%, but since the tunnel was quite long, I tacked on another... 2% or 3%, I forget. And then Rock Tomb took another 4%. So I'm getting roughly the same figure when I recalculate.))

I'll edit commands in later, once I've confirmed something. Just letting you know about Reflect/calculations and stuff.

Reflect's duration is not listed in the main attack guide, but rather in the description for light clay ("reflect lasts eight actions instead of five"); I'll probably edit that in during the next revision. In any case, you can keep it going for nine this time since that's what you thought it would be when you gave the command, but yeah, I tend to ref it much shorter. Additionally, I only take off half dig's total energy when the pokémon is just going down rather than going down, then coming around to reemerge and attack (same with fly), but if that's how you want to do it I don't have a big problem with it.

I've already changed Reflect's duration, so I'm fine with that. And... uh, that Dig thing never occured to me...! I think I was taking off about 10% for each Dig. Silly me, I'll go fix that shortly.

Well, we're in a pretty pickle. There isn't much we can do. Cancel Reflect, and then get rid of that pesky Sandstorm with Sunny Day. Then, let's set up for the rest of the round as well. Mimic that Sharpen and use it twice. If you're too far away to Mimic it, though (please don't be), then... use Charge Beam at anything. Even if it misses, it should still have a chance of granting you a Sp. Attack boost. And if that doesn't work (I don't see why not; the Sp. Attack boost is a result of residual energy from the attack, after all), then I suppose we'll have to settle with finding your Hidden Power type and getting up some Double Team clones - 4'll do.

Sunny Day ~ Mimic Sharpen/Charge Beam/Hidden Power ~ Mimicked Sharpen/Charge Beam/Double Team (4 clones)

Last edited:
So, as per dealt with blazheirio889, I'll be reffing this from now on. I suppose you could call it e-reffing.

2 vs. 1

Round 2

Negrek (OO)
Currently out: Onix
Onix
Female Onix
Ability: Rock Head
Holding: Metal Coat
Energy: 87%
Condition: Feeling safe but slightly claustrophobic.
Commands: Dig (Down)/Rock Tomb ~ Sharpen/Earthquake ~ Sharpen/Earthquake/Dig (Up)

Simulator (O)
Currently out: Zapdos
Zapdos
Genderless Zapdos Simulation
Ability: Pressure
Energy: 182%
Condition: Very displeased.
Commands: Sunny Day ~ Mimic/Charge Beam/Hidden Power ~ Sharpen/Charge Beam/Double Team (4 clones)

Zapdos' Subsitute
Health: 20%​

Arena status: A sandstorm is raging (9 actions remain). There's a small hole on the ground, revealing a pit of dirt. Some distance away from that, there's a far wider hole that leads into a twisted tunnel, though most of it is sealed by a thick layer of rock.

-----​

The surreality of the simulator was noticeable. It was rare to meet a legendary Pokémon outside books and artists' renditions. The one that stood in the arena was not exactly the real deal, but, it was still unusual to be so close to it, to actually see it. But, that of a trainer, specially in a place like Asber, is a profession filled to the brim with unusuality. Commands were issued dauntlessly.

The Zapdos simulation was clearly mocked by the tunnel that its opponent had dug herself into. The sealed entrance and the knowledge that traps would lie within made it clear that the reasonable course of action was to avoid barging into the burrow; yet, it was a tempting course of action. Nonetheless, the thunderbird could resist it.

Seeing that protection against enemy attacks was not a concern for the time being, the stormcloud Pokémon let the solid barrier around itself fade away. After that, it dealt with the sandstorm with a massive, echoing shriek imbued with Fire-type powers that made the winds settle, dropping the debris flying about, as the sky cleared and the sun shone upon the arena. It was ironic that it would bring out the very opposite of the weather it was usually associated with, but choice was something of a luxury at that point.

Meanwhile, its opponent dug further into the depths of the battlefield, always ensuring that the gallery would be as convoluted as possible. Eventually, Onix had reached so far underground, she was confident that the only way she could possibly be reached would be if they had Groudon fighting her next or something. Regardless, she could not help but feel that, on the downside, getting back to the surface would be the troublesome part.

Back at the aforementioned surface, Zapdos checked if it could do anything at all regarding its enemy. It was no good -- the distance between them barred even psychic contact for a Pokémon relatively untrained on the matter (relatively to, say, an actual Psychic-type), let alone visual contact or any manner of contact at all. It was hoping that it would manage to reap the benefits out of whatever in the tarnation its foe was doing down there, but, no such luck.

Instead, the thunderbird decided to flex a little electrical muscle. It gathered voltage between its spiky feathers until it was releasing sparks, and then unleashed all of it in one devasting flick of its wings, shooting a beam of lightning towards no particular target. A part of the charge-up remained unreleased, which would bolster the potency of several sorts of attack.

But that amount of charge was not yet satisfying for the legendary flyer. It repeated the procedure once, hoping to get further prepared for when the actual showdown came along... But, this time, no such luck came along. The frustrated beast could only impatiently await for the coming of the enemy.

Said enemy had no plans of coming yet. Until the end of the round, she was systematically rubbing her body against a slab of rock, making her body edgier so that making contact with it would be more painful.

Round 2 – End

Negrek (OO)
Onix
Female Onix
Energy: 80%
Condition: Hoping that she will manage to be well armed for the time when she actually faces her opponent.
Performed: Dig (Down) ~ Sharpen ~ Sharpen

Simulator (O)
Zapdos
Energy: 170%
Condition: Frustrated and anxious for its foe to come out.
Performed: Sunny Day ~ Charge Beam ~ Charge Beam

Zapdos' Substitute

Arena status: There's a small hole on the ground, revealing a pit of dirt. Some distance away from that, there's a far wider hole that leads into a twisted tunnel, though roughly half of it is sealed by a thick layer of rock.

Additional notes:
- The first Charge Beam boosted Special Attack. The second did not.
- Am I correct in assuming that Sandstorm shouldn't decrease a Substitute's health?
- Zapdos attacks first next round.

Terribly sorry about the wait... my schedule hasn't been the kindest as of late.

Hidden Power on the first action. After that, if Onix has not resurfaced, Reflect and Charge Beam. If she has, though, blast her with Extrasensory.

Hidden Power ~ Reflect/Extrasensory ~ Charge Beam/Extrasensory

Forgot where I was going with this. Hmm.

Get as close to the surface as you can without actually popping back out and keep sharpening.

Dig (up, but do not resurface) ~ Sharpen x2

2 vs. 1

Round 3

Negrek (OO)
Onix
Female Onix
Energy: 80%
Condition: Hoping that she will manage to be well armed for the time when she actually faces her opponent.
Commands: Dig (Down)/Rock Tomb ~ Sharpen/Earthquake ~ Sharpen/Earthquake/Dig (Up)

Simulator (O)
Zapdos
Energy: 170%
Condition: Frustrated and anxious for its foe to come out.
Commands: Sunny Day ~ Mimic/Charge Beam/Hidden Power ~ Sharpen/Charge Beam/Double Team (4 clones)

Zapdos' Subsitute

Arena status: There's a small hole on the ground, revealing a pit of dirt. Some distance away from that, there's a far wider hole that leads into a twisted tunnel, though roughly half of it is sealed by a thick layer of rock. The sun is shining (12 more actions).

-----​

Negrek stared at the ground, scratching her chin. All of a sudden, she could no longer remember where she intended to get with all the digging down. Under those circumstances, she saw no better option than to lead her Pokémon a bit closer to the enemy.

Zapdos' unled mind also had its own share of doubts to deal with. Namely, what exactly would be the plan for when, inevitably, that huge snake plows back from beneath the ground. Rock- and Ground-types have a plethora a weaknesses, but none that it could exploit effectively. Unless maybe it got a tad lucky with Hidden Power. Unlike most Pokémon, this legendary was privy to how it comes out not by the feelings or the personality or anything, but rather, by the fickle whim of the superior deities that determine randomized outcomes.

Poised with little option on how exactly to determine which type came out, the thunderbird shot its barrage of elemental orbs along the tiled ground, forming a neat line of damage. A close analysis of the damage revealed peculiar burns, even unlike those of the Fire-type attacks. It seemed to be the one type Zapdos wishes it had rolled when it (at least according to its fake memories) had to deal with that Dialga bugger.

Meanwhile, beneath the ground, Onix grumbled something about how much harder it is to get back up, then started to worm her way up. Eventually, she noticed that, if she kept digging up until she hit the set mark, the round would end before she could carry out all the remaining commands. So, she settled halfway through the climb to rub up against another slab of rock, further increasing how much painful would it be to establish contact with her body.

Above the surface, Zapdos could hear the faint sounds of her enemy's ascension, and started making the proper preparations for the showdown. First, it brought back the reflective shield that it had repressed earlier, ready to do something about those pesky Rock-type attacks. Then, it blasted off yet another Charge Beam, hoping to reap the aforementioned charges. Once more, it worked; however, the thunderbird could not help but wish it had a more efficient means of damage boosting.

Round 3 – End

Negrek (OO)
Onix
Female Onix
Energy: 73%
Condition: Looking up, ready for the showdown.
Performed: Dig (Up) ~ Sharpen ~ Sharpen

Simulator (O)
Zapdos
Energy: 159%
Status: 2+ Special Attack. Under effects of Reflect (3 more actions).
Condition: Not very eager for the real fight.
Performed: Hidden Power ~ Reflect ~ Charge Beam

Zapdos' Subsitute

Arena status: There's a small hole on the ground, revealing a pit of dirt. Some distance away from that, there's a far wider hole that leads into a twisted tunnel, though roughly half of it is sealed by a thick layer of rock. The tunnel then leads to a section that spirals upwards. The sun is shining (9 more actions).

Additional notes:
- Zapdos' Hidden Power for this match is Dragon-type.
- Having dug down twice, one way or the other, it'd take Onix two actions to fully resurface. She still didn't make it to just beneath the surface, and will need another full action to pop out.
- Negrek attacks first next round.

Back
Top Bottom