• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Negrek vs. Simulator (Zapdos)

Haha, sorry about that. I've since updated the first post of Dragons' Den Simulations to include both the post where the customer paid, and the battle. Should be at the bottom in small text.

2 vs. 1
DQ Time: 5 days
Damage Cap: None
Banned moves: OHKOs, Chills 5/Pokemon, 1 direct healing/Pokemon, Perish Song
Arena: Basic Stage

Round Four, Begin!

Negrek (OO)
Onix @ metal-coat
Onix (F)
Ability: Rock Head
Health: 100%
Energy: 73%
Condition: Looking up, ready for the showdown.
Commands: Chill ~ Sharpen ~ Dig (up)

Simulator (O)
Zapdos
Zapdos Simulation (X)
Ability: Pressure
Health: 178%
Energy: 159%
Status: +2 Special Attack. Maintaining a Reflect (3 more actions).
Condition: Not very eager for the real fight. Hidden Power Dragon-typed.
Commands: Chill ~ Charge Beam ~ Extrasensory

14cz0g6.png
Substitute: 20% health​

To begin the round, Onix…just sat there. Underground. Though she wasn’t all that tired, her opponent probably isn’t able to get her here, and she may as well prepare as best she can, least of all by restoring her own energy. However, what Onix doesn’t know is that Zapdos is sitting above, doing the exact same thing—though the giant thunderbird probably needs it even less than the rock snake does.

Eventually, though, Onix gets it in her mind to do something instead of just sitting there and vegetating. Before she goes up to the surface, she decides to sharpen her already-sharp body once more, rubbing it against the walls of the passage to do so. By the time she finishes, her body is definitely at least twenty-five percent sharper. She’s happy with that. And up aboveground, the Zapdos simulation is trying the same strategy as before; though it knows it’ll do nothing, it lets out another charged beam of electricity. Unfortunately, this time no residue clings to the thunderbird as the thin Charge Beam dissipates.

Now, Onix is ready to return to the surface and punish her opponent! She launches upwards at almost kilometers per hour, flying out of the ground and landing confidently. But for once, Zapdos is ready for its opponent—and it decides to attack before the pesky thing decides to flee again. Using the mental powers that come with being a legendary, it begins to poke and prod and aggrivate Onix’s body through its psychic power, finishing off with one final telepathic strike that makes her opponent slightly dizzy.

Round Four End!

Negrek (OO)
Onix @ metal-coat
Onix (F)
Health: 88%
Energy: 77%
Condition: Ready to kick some thunderbird butt.
Performed: Chill ~ Sharpen ~ Dig (Up)

Simulator (O)
Zapdos
Zapdos Simulation (X)
Energy: 158%
Condition: Optimistic. Hidden Power Dragon-typed.
Performed: Chill ~ Charge Beam ~ Extrasensory

14cz0g6.png

Damage and Energy calculations
•Chill: restored 10% energy
•Chill: restored 10% energy
•Charge Beam: 4% energy
•Sharpen: 2% energy
•Dig: 4% energy
•Extrasensory: 12% damage, 4% energy

Arena Notes
•There's a small hole on the ground, revealing a pit of dirt.
•Some distance away from that, there's a far wider hole that leads into a twisted tunnel, though roughly half of it is sealed by a thick layer of rock. The tunnel then leads to a section that spirals upwards.
•The sun is shining (6 more actions).

Notes
•Zapdos couldn’t hit Onix with Charge beam—and even had it been able to, it would have had no effect anyway.
•Charge Beam did NOT raise Zapdos’s Special Attack.
•If I hadn’t checked Serebii, I would’ve ruled out Extrasensory as a move Zapdos couldn’t learn. Darn Veekun not having Colosseum and XD move info.
•Sharpen seems very logical for Onix, but I checked Veekun AND Serebii, and they both said no. Thank Arceus for Bulbapedia.
•Obviously, Dig didn’t hit anything.

Next Round
•Simulator orders commands
•Negrek orders commands
•Someone, probably me, refs.

Last edited:
If charge beam didn't raise Zapdos' special attack, how did it end up at +3?

According to Metallica Fanboy's interpretation, this dig would only have brought Onix closer to the surface, not all the way out onto it.

I'm not sure how that happened.

Metallica Fanboy said:
Having dug down twice, one way or the other, it'd take Onix two actions to fully resurface. She still didn't make it to just beneath the surface, and will need another full action to pop out.

She already used Dig last round, and the one this round was an entire action devoted to pulling herself out of the ground. Therefore, she has used the two actions required to get out of the ground.

Right, then. Renew Reflect, then pound into her with Extrasensory. If you can't do that for whatever reason, uh. Moar Charge Beam, I guess. Limited options are limited.

Reflect ~ Extrasensory/Charge Beam x2

Blow up another sandstorm to damage Zapdos and its substitute and get that tasty special defense boost, then bind the substitute up in your tail. Shouldn't be hard; if you go after Zapdos, it should get right in your way. Then use the substitute like a club and slam it into its master to damage both of them at once.

Sandstorm ~ Bind (@ Sub) ~ Slam (with sub)

2 vs. 1

Round Five, Begin!

Negrek (OO)
Onix @ metal-coat
Onix (F)
Health: 88%
Energy: 77%
Condition: Ready to kick some thunderbird butt.
Commands: Sandstorm ~ Bind ~ Slam

Simulator (O)
Zapdos
Zapdos Simulation (X)
Energy: 158%
Condition: Optimistic. Hidden Power Dragon-typed.
Commands: Reflect ~ Extrasensory/Charge Beam ~ Extrasensory/Charge Beam

14cz0g6.png

Zapdos begins the round this time, using its psychic powers as a Legendary to form a translucent bluish force field around itself. Sure, the Reflect can’t outright stop anything, but it can definitely help on the defensive side. Following this action, Onix stands up on her tail, her body spinning rapidly. As it does, sand begins to twirl around her faster and faster until it grows into a full-fledged sandstorm that blocks out the glowing artificial sun above.

After that display, Zapdos, quickly growing annoyed at the little grains of sand that keep hitting it, tries to attack again. Focusing on its opponent, it again uses the psychic power that all legendaries have inside them to aggravate Onix even more, finishing it off with a powerful blow to the torso…wait, is that a torso? Either way, it doesn’t seem to hurt Onix much, as the rock snake finally begins to attack for the first time in ages. She leaps forward at its opponent—but strangely, her eyes are on the little Substitute that’s protecting it. Sure enough, the little dinosaur doll jumps in the way of the attack, and Onix doesn’t even have to try to catch it with her tail, squeezing it hard.

Pssh. Zapdos doesn’t really care about the Substitute, as long as nothing is stopping it from hitting its real target. For the third time in two rounds, the Thunderbird tries to batter Onix with its mind…and again, Onix isn’t affected that much. But Zapdos only has a few seconds to think before the rock snake lunges forward at it. The bluish translucent Reflect shield slows her momentum a little, but not before she has wound up her tail. With no time for Zapdos to dodge, Onix has slammed the Substitute into the legendary pokémon with incredible force, even hitting a weak spot. The power is too much for the poor Substitute as it fades away into nothingness.

Round Five End!

Negrek (OO)
Onix @ metal-coat
Onix (F)
Health: 70%
Energy: 65%
Condition: Smiling smugly
Performed: Sandstorm ~ Bind ~ Slam

Simulator (O)
Zapdos
Zapdos Simulation (X)
Health: 162%
Energy: 144%
Status: +2 Special Attack. Maintaining a Reflect (2 more actions).
Condition: Not so optimistic any more. Hidden Power Dragon-typed.
Performed: Reflect ~ Extrasensory ~ Extrasensory​

Damage and Energy calculations
•Reflect: 3% energy (+1% upkeep)
•Sandstorm: 4% energy
•Extrasensory: 9% damage, 4% energy
•Bind: 9% damage, 3% energy
•Extrasensory: 9% damage, 4% energy
•Slam: 13% damage, 5% energy

Arena Notes
•There's a small hole on the ground, revealing a pit of dirt.
•Some distance away from that, there's a far wider hole that leads into a twisted tunnel, though roughly half of it is sealed by a thick layer of rock. The tunnel then leads to a section that spirals upwards.
•A Sandstorm is raging. (7 more actions)

Notes
•Bind scored a critical hit.
•…so did Slam. Wow.

Next Round
•Negrek orders commands
•Simulator orders commands
•Someone, probably me, refs.

Last edited:
(( Reflect lasts five actions, not seven. ))

Well, the hax was kind of uncalled for, but good job, Onix! That protect is lasting unreasonably long, so I guess we'll go with smack down, then ancientpower after that. Finish with rock blast.

If Zapdos changes the weather, change it back to sandstorm. Chill if it protects or detects.

Smack Down / Sandstorm / Chill ~ Ancientpower / Sandstorm / Chill ~ Rock Blast / Sandstorm / Chill

Negrek said that sandstorm decreases attack effectiveness by 1 stage - so neutral attacks would deal NVE damage. I calculate that and Extrasensory should do 8%, or 7% if you round down (the exact number I got was 7.92). Just wanna get this cleared up before I order.

... eh. Just Bide. Wait until Rock Blast has hit you before unleashing it though.

Bide (charge) ~ Bide (charge) ~ Bide (wait and release)

2 vs. 1

The Basic Stage is simply that; a plain expanse of mottled white tiled floor. A large pond of water waits on the side, for Water types to use and stay in. Above is the sky, where for now, the sun hovers far above. There are no special effects, and the field is completely flat, the tiling reaching about a hundred feet square. The tiling isn’t very strong, and can easily be broken for access to dirt for moves such as Dig and Mud Slap.

ROUND 6

Negrek (Oo)
onix @ metal-coat
[Onix] F <Rock Head>
Health: 70%
Energy: 65%
+5 Attack

Simulator (O)
Zapdos
[Zapdos] X <Pressure>
Health: 162%
Energy: 144%
+2 Special Attack. Reflect up (2 more actions), Dragon typed Hidden Power.

There seems to be some commotion going on in the back room of the simulator, as Zapdos freezes in the air and flickers for a moment, ruining the realistic illusion for that split second. Zapdos stays frozen in the air to the sound of distant chatter in the invisible back room, while Onix gives the thunderbird an odd look. Would now be a good time to attack, while it seems to be out of commission, or is that cheating? Before Onix can make this decision, Zapdos starts flapping its wings again, narrowing its eyes against the sandstorm.

The thunderbird acts before Onix has time to register the change; and drifts towards the ground. At about a meter from the tiled floor, it beats its wings powerfully to hover in place, and lowers its beak to face Onix. With a pulse of light, Zapdos covers itself in a coat of red energy and looks expectantly at Onix. The rock snake doesn't hesitate to dig into the ground with her tail, curling it around a decently sized rock. Lifting it out of the ground, she whips around and flings the rock at Zapdos.

The rock slows down slightly as it passes through the light yellow barrier that flares up in front of its target, but still hits Zapdos' wing, causing the red light around it to glow brighter. The thunderbird lets out a startled squawk as its wing bends oddly and it falls the short distance to the ground. Zapdos looks at its wing momentarily, before folding it slowly and glaring at Onix. The concentrated glow in its injured wing diffuses to the rest of its body as it takes a balanced stance, digging its talons into the ground.

Onix wastes no time and flicks the tip of her tail in a complicated pattern, and the tiles start to crack in a ring around Zapdos and herself. With a loud rumble, around twenty or so pointed rocks rise from the ruined tiled floor, flickering with blue and purple energy. Onix looks directly into Zapdos' eyes with the best smirk she can manage with her rock face, and points her tail forwards. The rocks fly towards Zapdos, some cutting into the bird directly while others hit it with blunt edges created by the yellow barrier. It flinches and caws while the points where the rocks hit Zapdos glow a brighter red, and the yellow screen of light fizzles away.

Onix tenses up as Zapdos squirms around, bracing herself for a retaliation. And.. Nothing. Zapdos stands in place, breathing slowly, but it doesn't seem like it'll attack. Confused by this but unwilling to give up an opportunity, Onix begins digging through the earth with her tail. She reaches around for a rock and finds one the size of a person's torso, quickly pulling it up out of the ground and flinging it at Zapdos. It screeches as the rock hits its already injured wing and hops about. Onix seems to have found a small deposit of rock, and quickly gets to digging a few out. She flings a few more, all hitting their targets, before she needs to stop to take a short rest. Zapdos' wing looks rather battered and it makes a small noise as it lets it hang loosely instead of keeping it folded.

The red light covering Zapdos is glowing brightly now, and the thunderbird shakes out its good wing and makes an angry dash towards Onix. The red light flies off of Zapdos' body and at Onix, who can only thrash around as it burns her lower body and the tiles behind her. A few moments later Zapdos slams into Onix with its good wing, cawing as the rock snake lands on her side on the ground, making a creaking sound, before slumping down into the ground. After about ten seconds, it's clear she won't be getting up, and Zapdos making a victorious screeching noise, somewhat dimmed by the strong winds of the sandstorm.

Negrek (Xo)
onix @ metal-coat
[Onix] F <Rock Head>
Health: 0%
Energy: 51%

Simulator (O)
Zapdos
[Zapdos] X <Pressure>
Health: 107%
Energy: 89%
+2 Special Attack. Dragon typed Hidden Power. Has an injured wing and is no longer immune to Ground type moves.​

Notes
-Rock Blast rolled 5 hits. Ouch.
-There's a small hole on the ground, revealing a pit of dirt.
-Some distance away from that, there's a far wider hole that leads into a twisted tunnel, though roughly half of it is sealed by a thick layer of rock. The tunnel then leads to a section that spirals upwards.
-The tiles are more or less completely destroyed in the area around Onix and Zapdos.
-A sandstorm is raging (4 more actions).

-Negrek sends out
-Simulator commands first
-Negrek commands

Last edited:
I commanded Zapdos to wait before releasing Bide. I'd asked Negrek about it before, and she said that's possible, even though it's a priority move; it just takes some more energy.

Whoop wow okay how did I not see that. Whoa alright hold on.

EDIT: Fixed lazily, but still fixed. Also fixed some damage stuff.

Last edited:
My damage calculations are a wee bit off from yours, but I don't think it matters all that much. But I think Zapdos would use a bit more than 10% energy to Bide?

Whuh. Would 127% be good? I'd change it now but my 3DS can't edit that much text at once (wow) so I'll fix that in the morning. Feel free to carry on though, I guess.

Bide takes half the damage it dealt, so it should use... 52% energy. Add on a few percent as you see fit for delaying the Bide.

Ugh, generation 1 TM moves. Why didn't I ban them when I had the chance?

Well, you've brought down my onix, but that just means you'd better be prepared to face my terrifying secret weapon, the most dangerous pokémon on my team, the Zapdos-killer himself?

My terrible, terrible, death... wooper?

wooper
Aximili (M) <Water Absorb>

...yeah...

Back
Top Bottom