• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

[09] MurrMurr vs Involuntary Twitch (ref: Kratos Aurion)

No one told me. *shrug* Usually people do manage to see it by the time I make the DQ post if they didn't before, and as I said the thing at the bottom made it look like she'd viewed it.

In the future, might you be willing to give a PM warning as well as posting in the thread?

Yeah, I'd really rather not have this battle DQ'd out of a misunderstanding. If you don't mind starting it up again, that would be great... really sorry to be springing on you after you'd given out prizes and everything, and many apologies to MurrMurr as well because his win gets put back in question. Everyone who made money can keep it; Kratos would've gotten as much anyway, and provided the battle goes to term, all that happens is either MurrMurr keeps his winnings and Involuntary Twitch gets $10, or Involuntary Twitch wins and gets $20 and MurrMurr gets $10 more than he would have otherwise for his trouble.

Uh, wow, if... if that's all right with you, then I guess we'll continue with the match then. :x I suppose that way we both get more for winning. Sorry for taking so long to post; it won't happen again, I promise you.

...Back in character! Phanel, that didn't go as well as the Union hoped, but we aren't without hope. Swagger, then Reflect to reduce the damage from his now-boosted attack. Then Ice Punch again.

Swagger ~ Reflect ~ Ice Punch

ffffff

It's been over 24 hours (and I sent the damn PM this time), so MurrMurr is disqualified.

Twitch gets $20, Ganteiana gets 2 exp and Phanel gets 1 exp
I get $15 for reffing
And Purr and Pancake get 1 exp each but I'm not sure what happens with MurrMurr's money now. Does he still get to keep the $20, or is that forfeit because he's been disqualified?

D: I didn't want it to end like this-- when was the last time MurrMurr logged on? Jeez... I mean, since I was so whiny and everything, it's only fair to give her a little leeway to be late too. Right? Right? I mean, we're not holding up the tournament or anything, right? Hopefully she'll log on sometime soon, given another day or two. I'll hold off on claiming my prize until then, and let's hear what Negrek has to say.

MurrMurr was apparently last spotted four days ago; if you're okay with it, Involuntary Twitch, I vote small DQ extension (perhaps to Monday) and angry glare if he shows up in time to take advantage. If he's not back by Monday, DQ away, I suppose.

Extension to Monday is fine, if you want to wait for him.

And so I could still use an answer to the question: in the event that he is properly DQ'd, what do I do about his prize money?

Oh, sorry. I suppose he can keep it; yanking stuff out of people's bank accounts retroactively is always a pain, and he did kind of win by DQ earlier, even though he would have ended up... also losing by DQ.

asdfghjkl crap, sorry, completely overlooked this since I thought I won. (yeah, who's a cocky little) *accepts angry glare with shame* Sorry again, and again. Anyhoo.

Allright, let's get cracking. First off, confusion is a nasty thing, so Protect against it. Next off, use Sandstorm to hide yourself and do some damage. Next, finish with the almighty one-turn Dig to avoid the Ice Punch and strike hard!

Protect~Sandstorm~Dig

Thanks for letting me live! *eep*

MurrMurr vs. Involuntary Twitch, Round Five

Pre-Round Stats

Team MurrMurr (2/3 Pokémon Remaining)

Gabite
Purr (M) [Sand Veil]
Health: 50% (CAPPED)
Energy: 84%
Status: Poisoned (very severe: 1% last round, 2% this); sliced up and dazed
Purr's Commands: Protect ~ Sandstorm ~ Dig

Team Twitchean Union (2/3 Pokémon Remaining)

Kadabra
Phanel (M) [Synchronize]
Health: 58%
Energy: 54%
Status: Poisoned (very severe: 1% last round, 2% this); aching, bleeding and fairly certain that that could've gone better
Phanel's Commands: Swagger ~ Reflect ~ Ice Punch

Arena: Outside the Battle Arena

The battle takes place right outside the Battle Frontier's Battle Arena facility, out in the open air. The immediate area is covered in nicely manicured grass and a few flowers. The Arena building itself is surrounded on three sides by water and a small pond sits on the other side of the battlers, so water moves can be used and Water-types that need to swim can do so. The battlers cannot move away from the immediate area, so heading towards the plaza or another facility is forbidden.

Since this match is happening so close to the Arena, it seems such a shame not to follow Greta's rules... or, at least, a variation on them. As such, both battlers will send out their Pokémon and attack for three battle rounds (a total of 9 attacks per Pokémon) before the ref calls a halt. After the three rounds both Pokémon are recalled and unable to continue in the current battle, and their current health, energy and status are noted for later. Both trainers will then send out their next Pokémon and continue for the next three rounds. At the end (which should be nine total rounds), the health and energy of all Pokémon is totaled and whichever trainer has the highest score wins.

The following rules also apply:

-If a Pokémon has fainted, either due to HP loss OR energy loss, the battle stops right where it is (even if it has not yet been three rounds) and both Pokémon are recalled. Fainted PokÈmon DO still count toward the final score, but as either their health or their energy is at 0% they won't add anywhere near as much.

-If, at the end of the three rounds, a battler is afflicted with a status condition, that condition detracts from their final score as follows:

Paralyzed, Burned, Confused: -10 points
Poisoned, Attracted: -15 points
Asleep, Frozen: -20 points

If the Pokémon has more than one status condition, only the first one they were afflicted with detracts full points; all others afterwards only detract five, no matter what they are.

Round Five: Begin

Achy and irritated, Phanel decides to change tack: rather than waste his energy with attacks that only leave him on equal footing with Purr, he'll just wear his opponent down some more first. And what could be more fun than eating away at his confidence? Phanel grins nastily and sends his thoughts out across the battlefield, insult after insult wending its way through the air and toward Purr's mind. Before they can make it all the way through the air, however, a familar forcefield of greenish energy ripples into being around him. Either the protective bubble is shutting out the telepathic transmission or it's calming the Gabite enough for the taunts to slide right off of him, however, because Purr pays Phanel absolutely no heed.

Phanel scowls and stops his attempts to taunt and humiliate his foe. Protect... of course. How very cheap, throwing up an impenetrable barrier just to ignore a little jeering. His eyes flash with energy and the air around him ripples as well, his psychic powers generating a pale forcefield of his own. At least this will do something to dampen any further shadow claws that might come his way... after the nasty wounds that Purr's slashes left during the last round, the Kadabra is in no hurry to be on the receiving end of anything else like that.

Purr's hooked claws are still whistling through the air, but they are not anywhere near Phanel or his reflective barrier. The Gabite is slashing at nothing and leaping about on the scorched grass, his eyes focused skyward. The audience, distracted by the shark-dragon's bizarre dancing, does not notice the wind picking up around them at first. The breeze starts out as a gentle zephyr, and the hot, sweaty crowd gives a collective sigh of relief as it cools their exposed skin. Within seconds, however, the wind grows stronger, tearing grass and bits of loose earth from the ground in the area and twisting it around into a compact dust storm. It is not the genuine sandstorm Purr had been hoping for, but the grit whirling around in the air is sufficiently irritating enough--to anyone other than him, anyway. The crowd shrieks and yelps and tries to cover their bare arms and legs or hide their faces in their hands; even Phanel's reflect does not prevent all of the flying soil from reaching him, and he grimaces as it scratches his arms and gets into his open cuts.

Phanel straightens up and glares through the impromptu sandstorm at his foe. The Gabite seems to be surrounded by an even thicker cloud of earth, his claws tearing at the ground near his feet. Phanel curses under his breath as he realizes what is going on; he rushes forward, his barrier hovering awkwardly around him as he hurries, and pulls his fist back for another ice punch before Purr can get away. His hand sails harmlessly just over Purr's sinking tail, however, and the ground-type quickly escapes into a new tunnel. He is not gone for long--he changes direction before getting too deep and climbs back up, resurfacing forcefully right beneath Phanel. The psychic-type cries out as Purr hits him from below; Purr did have to struggle through the reflect shield impeding his progress, but even the reduced impact was still hard enough to be quite painful. Purr sneers and wriggles backward through his tunnel, reappearing in his original spot where there's a bit more breathing room. His spirits are high enough right now for him to ignore the queasiness still creeping over him, but how much longer the good feeling will last is anyone's guess.

Round Five: Close

Post-Round Stats

Gabite
Purr (M) [Sand Veil]
Health: 48%
Energy: 65%
Status: Poisoned (very severe: 2% this round, 3% next); feeling oh-so-clever

Kadabra
Phanel (M) [Synchronize]
Health: 47%
Energy: 40%
Status: Poisoned (very severe: 2% this round, 3% next); very, very frustrated

Team Twitchean Union's Reflect: 3 actions remaining

Arena Status: Two small, very shallow holes sit near the center of the field, a trough of sunken earth between them after Pancake's tunnel collapsed. Most of the grass in front of the building has been burned away by the now-extinguished fire spin. Loose dirt and grit is swirling around the arena, stinging unprotected flesh and irritating eyes.

Sandstorm: 4 rounds, 1 action remaining

Pancake's Score: 95 - Purr's Score: 98
Ganteiana's Score: 121 - Phanel's Score: 72

Ref's Notes
-Phanel's Ice Punch missed.
-MurrMurr attacks first next round. And let's not give anyone any more excuses for angry glares, hm?

OK, so now we're exactly tied. Fwee. Purr, in this round, win it for me!

Execute an Earth Power for the first action, but you should probably wait before attacking. If he uses Ice Punch on the first action, Protect to shrug it off. If he uses Ice Punch on the second or third action, one-turn Dig to get around it. On the second or third action, provided he has not just used Ice Punch, use Draco Meteor for a big finish. On the third action though, stick with Earth Power or Dig is you used Draco Meteor on the second.

Earth Power/Protect~Draco Meteor/Dig~Draco Meteor/Earth Power/Dig

Get a Swagger in, and make sure to actually confuse him this time. Then, oh, let's beat him up a bit with Ice Punch both actions. You should be faster than him and able to hit him before he can get away with the one-turn dig. If Swagger fails the first action then do it the second, but don't bother with the third.

As for the sandstorm, you're a psychic-type. If you're having trouble locating him, spend a bit of energy to locate him in your mind's eye or something.

Swagger ~ Ice Punch/Swagger ~ Ice Punch

EDIT: direct healers are banned (just remembered) so strategy is adjusted accordingly.

Last edited:
MurrMurr vs. Involuntary Twitch, Round Six

Pre-Round Stats

Gabite
Purr (M) [Sand Veil]
Health: 48%
Energy: 65%
Status: Poisoned (very severe: 2% last round, 3% this); feeling oh-so-clever
Purr's Commands: Earth Power/Protect ~ Draco Meteor/Dig ~ Draco Meteor/Earth Power/Dig

Kadabra
Phanel (M) [Synchronize]
Health: 47%
Energy: 40%
Status: Poisoned (very severe: 2% last round, 3% this); very, very frustrated
Phanel's Commands: Swagger ~ Ice Punch/Swagger ~ Ice Punch

Team Twitchean Union's Reflect: 3 actions remaining

Arena: Outside the Battle Arena

The battle takes place right outside the Battle Frontier's Battle Arena facility, out in the open air. The immediate area is covered in nicely manicured grass and a few flowers. The Arena building itself is surrounded on three sides by water and a small pond sits on the other side of the battlers, so water moves can be used and Water-types that need to swim can do so. The battlers cannot move away from the immediate area, so heading towards the plaza or another facility is forbidden.

Since this match is happening so close to the Arena, it seems such a shame not to follow Greta's rules... or, at least, a variation on them. As such, both battlers will send out their Pokémon and attack for three battle rounds (a total of 9 attacks per Pokémon) before the ref calls a halt. After the three rounds both Pokémon are recalled and unable to continue in the current battle, and their current health, energy and status are noted for later. Both trainers will then send out their next Pokémon and continue for the next three rounds. At the end (which should be nine total rounds), the health and energy of all Pokémon is totaled and whichever trainer has the highest score wins.

The following rules also apply:

-If a Pokémon has fainted, either due to HP loss OR energy loss, the battle stops right where it is (even if it has not yet been three rounds) and both Pokémon are recalled. Fainted PokÈmon DO still count toward the final score, but as either their health or their energy is at 0% they won't add anywhere near as much.

-If, at the end of the three rounds, a battler is afflicted with a status condition, that condition detracts from their final score as follows:

Paralyzed, Burned, Confused: -10 points
Poisoned, Attracted: -15 points
Asleep, Frozen: -20 points

If the Pokémon has more than one status condition, only the first one they were afflicted with detracts full points; all others afterwards only detract five, no matter what they are.

Round Six: Begin

Doing his best to keep his seething frustration under wraps--he can't let this filthy scaly son of a she-Houndoom know that he's getting to him!--Phanel takes a deep breath and plasters an arrogant grin over his mustachioed face. Aren't we clever, hiding in a little hole and attacking from below like a coward! Phanel thinks, broadcasting his thoughts so that Purr (and the audience, if they cared to listen over their yelping and using one another as shelter from the sandstorm) can hear them loud and clear. You know what I think? I think you're nothing but a big, fat old scaredy-cat. How can you be anything else with a name like Purr? I mean, what is that? Are joo a widdle kidden, hmm, widdle kidden who runs and hides in widdle holes when the big bad Kadabra comes to town?

Purr's snout curls back in a vicious snarl, but he puts his claws over his earholes and tries his hardest to shut Phanel's taunting out. He redirects his attention to the scorched, broken ground around him. He can feel the earth pulsing and trembling beneath his feet, his body in tune with the subtle movements of shifting plates and molten rock coursing beneath the surface. He concentrates, the roaring of the pure power of the earth drowning out his foe's jibes and insults. Earthly energy surges up through the strata, bursting from the ground around Phanel. The explosion of raw natural power eats away at Phanel's skin, which is already tender after constant abrasion by flying dirt, and the Kadabra stops his mocking to hiss and screech and wriggle out of the way.

Phanel winces as the soil and grit continue to whirl around him, and he wishes that his reflect would actually do a bit more to keep the stuff away. Wishing, of course, will get him nowhere; driving Purr insane before he can do any more serious damage would be a lot more productive. So you can throw some dirt around, widdle kidden, very cute. That's nothing. Remember what I did to you before, hm? I can break you like that--he snaps his fingers--with your own attacks, widdle kidden. You really wanna try and pull another stunt like that? Don't want the widdle kidden to get a boo-boo.

The Gabite's teeth are practically grinding themselves smooth with irritation, but he refuses to cave in and submit to mindless anger. Must. Find. Way. To. Shut. Him. The. Hell. UP. Purr throws his head back and howls, venting his frustration and, again, trying to block out the awful needling. The crowd grows still, even amidst the swirling sandstorm, and squints nervously through the hazy air at the furious Gabite.

The sky takes on a dull, greenish cast as Purr howls up at it, and tiny points of brilliant teal-colored light sparkle on and off above his head. The lights climb higher and higher, growing steadily larger as they reach for the clouds. Massive boulders of green energy, most as large as Purr himself, blaze like otherworldly fireballs of doom. They hang suspended in the air for only a few seconds; they streak downward out of the blue and toward Phanel, accompanied by a terrible shriek from Purr. Phanel barely has time to raise his arms and protect himself before the first meteor collides with his body, exploding in a blast of draconic energy on contact. Two, three more boulders smash into the Kadabra, completely ignoring his barrier, and the rest slam into the already battered lawn. More dirt and rocks burst into the air, dislodged by the impact with the falling meteors, and by the time the last one hits its mark and the sky returns to its usual azure hue the field is pockmarked by numerous holes and craters. What little is left of the carefully manicured grass is burning with green dragonfire. Phanel coughs and groans as he lowers his arms and looks around, swaying on unsteady legs. Purr stands a few feet away, glaring defiantly at him.

Go ahead, Phanel. I'm waiting. Break me with that.

But Phanel cannot do anything of the sort, unfortunately for him, and so he must settle for getting back at the shark-dragon the best way he knows how: with that ice his kind hates so much. And this time Purr isn't going to get away. Concentrating hard on his opponent's energy signature Phanel forces his way through the sandstorm, fist drawn back and shimmering with bright blue light. Purr ducks and immediately resumes his frantic tearing at the ground, but luck is not with him this time. The ice punch connects cleanly with the Gabite's right side, causing him to gasp with cold and shock and nearly making him lose his balance. He grits his teeth and digs away anyway, though. He disappears beneath the ravaged lawn and resurfaces shortly afterward, slamming his hammer-shaped head into the small of Phanel's back. Phanel falls forward, snarling vehemently in spite of his pain. He is sucked back into his pokéball before he hits the floor, however, and Purr exits the same way only seconds later. The scarred and scorched battleground is now deserted, and the audience looks nervously back and forth between the two trainers as they wait for their final choices to make their appearance. The battle thus far has been exciting, but they aren't quite sure they can handle too much more excitement if it means sandstorms and nearly being flattened by meteor strikes. And to think, only a short while ago they were complaining about the heat...

Round Six: Close

Post-Round Stats

Team MurrMurr (1/3 Pokémon Remaining)

Gabite
Purr (M) [Sand Veil]
Health: 37%
Energy: 42%
Status: Special Attack -2; Poisoned (very severe: 3% this round, 4% next); cold, but satisfied

Team Twitchean Union (1/3 Pokémon Remaining)

Kadabra
Phanel (M) [Synchronize]
Health: 10%
Energy: 24%
Status: Poisoned (very severe: 3% this round, 4% next); NNRRRRNNNNNNGGGGGHfff

Team Twitchean Union's Reflect: faded

Arena Status: The ground has been absolutely decimated by Draco Meteor, large craters scarring the lawn and the walkways in front of the arena. Loose dirt and grit is swirling around the arena, stinging unprotected flesh and irritating eyes.

Sandstorm: 3 rounds, 1 action remaining

Pancake's Score: 95 - Purr's Score: 64
Ganteiana's Score: 121 - Phanel's Score: 19

Ref's Notes
-Swagger missed both times.
-MurrMurr sends out, Twitch sends and attacks and then MurrMurr attacks first next round.

I guess I'll go with Gnar, the Duskull with the fun sig attribute.
---
Gnar the Duskull (M)
Ability: Levitate

Signature Attribute: Gamma Ray Corruption

You might think that a creepy lava monster laying eggs at a nuclear dump site would not be the best of ideas, but with predator boons and lake expansions in the Hoenn reigon, mothering Magcargo had no choice but to make do with what they could. Thankfully for the small herd (if that's the term to use for a group of Magcargo), no Slugma exhibited odd traits at birth, such as limbs or unusual ailments.

Now, you may be wondering what a baby Slugma might have to do with my Gnar. Well, it just so happens that a trainer caught and raised this Slugma, enticing it with visions of fame and glory, Hoenn League Champion dreams. So, naturally, a lot of training ensued.

One day, as a Magcargo, this particular trainer came across a wild Dusclops, and ordered his now-faithful servant to use a Flamethrower. But the Magcargo did something no one could have seen: It unleashed a compressed burst of gamma ray energy at the Dusclops, KOing it on the spot and nearly claiming its (semi-nonexistent) life. And, immediately sensing its own...ill fate, the Magcargo ran away from the life of grandeur to comfort the Dusclops. Then, something unexpected (but cliche) happened: The two fell in love.

The child was, of course, my Duskull. But it came imbued with a little slice of the energy that was that Magcargo's power. But, with the proper diet and excersize (and a little willingness to utterly destroy others with radiation poisoning), Gnar is perfectly content, and so am I!

Effects: Gnar is imbued with some (incredibly high-frequency) gamma ray energy, so any contact attack Gnar uses has a 5% chance of badly poisoning the target. Contact attacks used against Gnar have a 5% chance of badly poisoning the attacker. However, if a projectile attack is used against Gnar, there is a 5% chance that it will scramble some gamma particles and cause mild burning for Gnar. The gamma ray particles bouncing around inside him cause him to get jumpy. However, the move Substitute costs an extra 3% energy, because he can't concentrate as effectively to use it. Finally, if Gnar uses a recovery move of any sort (direct or indirect, including Chills), the gamma particles interfere with the healing process and deal him 1% damage.

Don't lose our lead, Gnar!

The Union apologizes for the delay.

We will deploy our fighter Waita, who will not fail us.

spheal [M] (Thick Fat)

Start off with an Icy Wind, followed by a Swagger. If he protects or safeguards, quickly switch to Hail. Next, Hail if you haven't already, otherwise Ice Beam.

Icy Wind ~ Swagger/Hail ~ Hail/Ice Beam

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom