• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

2001/9/11 Tribute

Pwnemon

will remain confined to the pokemon topics
So yes, today is the 9th anniversary of the attacks of 9/11. I ask all of you who live in the US to join me in a moment of silence at 8:46 AM, Eastern Standard Time, the minute the plane crashed into the North Tower.

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: It's THAT thread.

when you flip your shit over 9/11 the terrorists win

Absolutely. So, I propose we all take some time out of today to all make our own homemade bombs. (Too soon? Too soon.)

Asking for respect for the dead =/= "flipping my shit"

Respecting this particular group of dead people en masse on the exact minute they were blown up by the terrorists every year since said event is sort of the reaction they were gunning for though

Respecting this particular group of dead people en masse on the exact minute they were blown up by the terrorists every year since said event is sort of the reaction they were gunning for though

Quoted for absolute truth. To truly pay your respects - carry on. Something horrible happened, yes, but carry on to show that you won't let it define this day.

...I feel sorry for them. Those who were killed.

Apparently my grandfather was really close to the World Trade Center at the time. He got away unhurt, luckily for me.

I don't feel like we should almost celebrate this date every year. Not that I mind respecting the dead, but it was nine years ago now, and yes it was sad. But, so was my great-grandmother dieing. That was back in '05, and thinking of her makes me sad still, but it's not like I burst into tears or anything.

this being said, I do think we should pay our respects to the dead, but that is pretty much what the moment of silence after the pledge of allegiance is for, though. I also think all of the signs for businesses that say things like "We will always remember" and other things like that are kind of pushing the envelope a little. It makes me feel like they're putting it up there to get business, and that's wrong and disrespectful, I think.

It makes me feel like they're putting it up there to get business, and that's wrong and disrespectful, I think.

Just because I have too much faith in humanity I think it's probably more along the lines of them thinking they "need" to because it's a social norm to talk about 9/11 or something. "oh it's 9/11 I better make people think I'm upset about it still so they shop here" probably doesn't run through their heads.

Have a moment of silence if you had a friend or relative who died that day, sure, but people who weren't involved at all should just move on already. Whenever every person who wasn't involved in the 9/11 attacks at all gather together "as a nation" or whatever and cry over it, it makes us look pretty butthurt and is exactly what the terrorists wanted out of this.

I'm not saying you're not allowed to be upset that a bunch of innocent people died today nine years ago, you have every right to be, but a bunch of people die every day. I don't think this is really worth commemorating every year or whatever, especially if you weren't involved and don't know anyone who was.

I don't think we should forget 9/11, but we gotta move on. I feel bad that it happened, but... Nine years.

Remember next year there's going to be an even bigger commotion about it due to it being 10 years.

Oh, come on, you UK guys. We still commemorate an almost blowing-up that happened in 1605. Tell me that's not what the terrorists wanted.

Oh, come on, you UK guys. We still commemorate an almost blowing-up that happened in 1605. Tell me that's not what the terrorists wanted.

And it spawned one of the best graphic novels ever.

Strictly speaking, Fawkes et al. weren't terrorists because they were trying to blow up the king to kill him, not to terrify people.

Honestly, the saddest part of the day was when I heard about the Muslim woman who was getting hate mail.

Sometimes America, sometimes...

when you flip your shit over 9/11 the terrorists win

People care too much about 9/11 imho. HOLY SHIT 9/11 - THE MOMENT THAT DEFINED A DECADE AND CHANGED THE WORLD AS I KNOW IT. WE MUST NEVER FORGET. If one of your family members died then that's really terrible and awful but I mean shit happens and it was nine years ago.

People care too much about 9/11 imho. HOLY SHIT 9/11 - THE MOMENT THAT DEFINED A DECADE AND CHANGED THE WORLD AS I KNOW IT. WE MUST NEVER FORGET. If one of your family members died then that's really terrible and awful but I mean shit happens and it was nine years ago.

Tell that to someone who lost a family member. For them it isn't just some big event, it's a personal loss, would you not commemorate the death of your mother? Father? Child? For them it doesn't matter if it's been a year, or ten, or even twenty. They will remember they will not say "oh well shit happened my son died nine years ago."

Saying "shit happens" sounds really rude, I'm sorry.

I think it's a sad event that should be remembered, it will never be truly forgotten, and I will never forget how it felt to watch it all happen. Maybe in time it will become like December 7th, where people stop and think "oh right that happened today." only after being reminded.

Tell that to someone who lost a family member. For them it isn't just some big event, it's a personal loss, would you not commemorate the death of your mother? Father? Child? For them it doesn't matter if it's been a year, or ten, or even twenty. They will remember they will not say "oh well shit happened my son died nine years ago."

Right which is why

If one of your family members died then that's really terrible and awful

Back
Top Bottom