• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

After the End (ended, due to inactivity)

Re: After the End

Thorn was mostly silent because she was looking at Blip, amused by the Ditto's antics. She personally found it kind of cute, like when a puppy stole someone's money out of a purse.
Then she looked back to Meredith. "Of course I still want to go," she said. "It would help a lot of people, and Pokemon." Not to mention it sounds like fun, she silently added.

Beryl considered this. He thought about his old life, which he missed every day with a deep ache - his father and mother, ever chasing after gym challenges and adventure; the Evolius mansion, with its many Eevee-filled chambers; the job he'd been born to fill which he'd been proud of every day; his sedate, luxurious lifestyle with his pair of Pokemon by his side. He thought of how content he'd been.

He then mused on how miserable he'd been after it was all ripped from him. He recalled the long hours teaching himself to write with his right hand since his left had been crushed in the collapse of his house, the shame in being unable to completely set Calydon's leg, the hungry, frugal survival he'd stolen from the barren world since then. Desperation drove him on. Nothing but his life and the lives of his Pokemon had mattered.

And then he thought about Meredith. He remembered how shy he had been when he'd met her. She was so sad and introverted then, lost inside herself. Yet she'd offered him what little she had anyway. The feeling that had washed over him when he first held her came back to him now. He considered how much hope she'd given him just by being herself and constantly trying, and how much she made him hope that the world was as good as place as she tried to make it. More than anything, he thought about how he was a better person now than he'd ever been, how he felt like what he did mattered while he was with her and with the rest of the rag-tag team of stragglers. He thought about how if he died now, he would die doing something meaningful rather than cowering in bushes so that no one robbed him for his belongings.

"Yes," Beryl finally said.

"To save the world... to start it all over again... I would easily give my life," Cal said, smiling. "I'll come. There's nothing left for me anywhere else, anyway."

He looked around at each of his Pokémon in turn. The five Spheal, sleeping contently, clustered in a corner. Pablo the Smeargle, sitting next to them, his closed eyes covered by his beret, his tail dripping every now and then with his paint-like fluid. The Houndoom, who was, admittedly, in his Pokéball to prevent any trouble. And Serena, sitting on a windowsill, gazing out at the gradually setting sun, with the odd-coloured Eevee, Flake, curled up next to her.

"If I..." Cal began, but paused, and thought for a moment.. "I..." he stopped again, and shook his head. "Thank you."

(Okay, Pretzel and Blaziking are out. No offense, but I want to keep this going, and I've been giving fair warning.)

Long Post:

The scene was uplifting. One of hope, one that made the entire group feel charged, sure that they could accomplish this goal. Blip ran around, trying to keep Thorn's Badge from Claw, and Blaze, who were attempting to recover the small token of victory. Blip ran over the sleeping Staro, over the aged Kadabra's head... and knocked him to the floor.

He didn't get up. The Kadabra's legs and arms were bent at weird angles, his tail stuck high in the air. It would have been almost comical. Meredith stood up, afraid. It simply could NOT be true. No. Staro had to be in a trance, unable to notice what had happened to his body. But, she knelt down. Moved the body, felt his wrist. The room was silent. She nodded her head, every second or so, imagining the pulse she wanted to feel. When she finally spoke, a minute later, it was as if she was back on the cabin at the edge of the ocean, years ago, mourning the loss of the Quilava, who now was crying with Meredith

"Good....bye... Staro". Meredith made a pitiful, half-walk, half-crawl movement towards Beryl, and buried her head in his shoulder.
"We'll... have.. a funeral.. in the morning".

Scizor carried Staro to an unoccupied room. He looked down at the Pokemon. He walked towards the door, stopping, for just a moment, before leaving the room.

Re: After the End (accepting 1 person, if they apply quick)

Beryl closed his eyes tight and tried not to vomit. Visions of all the dead Pokemon he'd seen flashed before his mind's eye as he held Meredith tight to him, stroking her hair. It seemed impossible that Staro could be dead. He had outlived his trainer and survived the attack of the legendaries only to be killed accidentally. He felt the familiar pangs of loss stir in his heart as he looked down at the body of his friend. He wanted to say something pithy, but he couldn't summon the right words. Finally, he settled on something for Meredith. "We'll never forget the help he's been. Even if we never succeed, he was a hero," he told her.

Parth and Ferien didn't understand death, but Jupiter, Calydon and Atalanta did. The scarred Jolteon simply bowed his head while the two parents pulled the youngsters close. "Is my teacher sleeping?" the Ralts asked the Glaceon, who had buried the child's face in his fur to hide his eyes.

"Yes, but he won't wake up anymore," Calydon said gently. Ferien seemed to understand this a little bit, and he shook slightly with fear at the idea of endless rest.

Last edited:

The funeral for Staro was a silent affair. Meredith spent much of the time leaning against Beryl, and crying. Scizor had cut a rather large rock into a headstone, to mark the place where their friend had been laid to final rest. It was going to be hard to leave him behind, but the plan still worked without him, and sitting around, waiting for the world to change was pointless. The only thing of note was that the clouds in the sky had broken, that the sun was making the place where Staro lay quite pretty, compared to the rest of the ruined city. As much as she would have liked to stay, and mourn, Meredith turned to the group, and simply nodded her desire to take the first step of their final journey.

Thorn and her Pokemon were also silent. None of them had been particularly close to Staro, especially Claw, but they still felt like something was missing in their lives.
Blaze whimpered and pressed himself close to Thorn, who absentmindedly stroked his orange fur. Swirl gazed, mute.
"Thorn," he squeaked. "I miss Cloud. Where did she go?"
"I don't know, Swirl," she muttered. The Swablu had always been a comfort to all of them. Her fluffy wings and friendly personality were soothing, as were her sweet songs.
"She's probably dead, like Staro," Claw growled. She wasn't pleased at all that she had been caught by Scizor, and knew that she couldn't try to abandon the hopeless situation because she would be caught again.
Blaze whimpered louder and pressed himself closer. Swirl fell silent again and looked up at the sky, as if though he could see her gold feathers sparkling in the sudden sunlight.

((Just a bit of a pointless and cheesey emotional scene inserted here :P))

The time to set off came much too soon. Releasing Lapras onto the ocean, and insuring that the Protect was working, to keep Lapras' skin from burning off in the acidic waters, Meredith began to load everything onto the King of the Sea. The group had managed to fit all their supplies into 3 dufflebags, and while it was not roomy by any measure, they all managed to fit on the back of Lapras, allowing Blip to Transform, and help with the Protection.

"Okay, all non-essential Pokemon that have one, need to return to their Pokeball. We don't have the room."

Scizor, and Quilava returned to their orbs, in a glow of red light, while Natalie, the Dratini, wrapped herself around Meredith's neck, and began to snooze, while Blip remained, and copied Pablo's form. Sitting with Beryl, on the hard shell, Meredith squeezed his hand tightly.
"There was something I wanted to say to you...and now seems liek the best time"

Beryl blushed and pulled Meredith close. For the first time in their young lives, Parth and Ferien were staying in Poke Balls for more than a minute just to establish their capturedness. Jupiter, too, had returned. Only Calydon and Atalanta remained out, napping. They drowsily moved down to his legs when he moved the blonde nurse onto his lap.

"What is it?" he asked, heart pounding in his chest.

All of Cal's Pokémon, except for Pablo and Serena, were taken safely into their Pokéballs. Cal and Pablo sat right at the front of Lapras' shell, and Serena perched herself on its head where she would have a good view of the sun. It was down to the Espeon and Pablo to protect Lapras from the acidic waters this time.

Meredith paused for a second, her nerves almost stopping her from saying it. She looked into the eyes of the young man, who had, for no particular reason, agreed to follow her on what was almost definitly a pointless mission. She felt gratitude beyond measure, for everything he had done for her, selflessly.
"I love you, Beryl."

Blip, with a sense of tact much beyond what she normally possesed, thought,
'Well, it's about TIME she told him'.

Beryl felt his heart stop. It was as though his body knew that his life had reached the most perfect moment it ever would. He held Meredith to himself as tightly as he could without hurting her, burying his face in her hair and kissing her scalp. "I love you, too," he said, voice thick with emotion.

Calydon and Atalanta exchanged looks. "We haven't even started going yet and already we're at risk of being knocked into the water," the Leafeon said. But Calydon just smiled, reminiscing about their own romance.

Thorn recalled all her Pokemon; feeling somewhat lonely. There wasn't a time she could remember when there wasn't atleast one Pokemon out with her, not counting the very brief period before a battle.
Atleast Blip can keep me company, she thought. She's so obnoxious that she'll keep my mind off it. Not that she's annoying or anything, just hyper.

Setting off, Meredith stayed as close to Beryl as she could. Blip did indeed keep Thorn company, but She sometimes forgot she was also supposed to be helping Pablo keep the Barrier going. They sailed until Olivine was no longer visible on the horison. Meredith looked up at Serena.
"Can you see if Teleporting is viable right now?"

Serena bowed her head solemnly.

"Unfortunately, lady Meredith, I... That is to say, us Espeon... We do not have the ability... to Teleport... Staro was the only one who knew how, but obviously we... can't use his help any more."

She turned away, feeling guilty.

"Not true. Ferien can use teleport, it's just a matter of age and experience. If Blip transforms into Ferien, She should be able to use the ability with a bit more experience. To be safe, we won't jump as much, or as often as we planned, but it will still cut ALOT of time of the trip".

Meredith hadn't even thought about how Staro's... death... would have affected their mission, it just seemed so natural that he would be alongside them.

Beryl fished Ferien's Poke Ball out of his bag and released the small Pokemon. "Can you teleport?" he asked the Ralts.

Ferien nodded proudly and teleported from his lap to his feet.

"Is that as far as you can go?" the green-haired human inquired, and the Ralts answered in the affirmative. Beryl turned to the others. "He does know how to teleport, but not well enough to be any help," he said. "Blip would be more useful."

Pablo turned and raised a hand eagerly. He could Sketch Teleport if need be, too, although he wasn't sure how he'd Sketch a move such as that... Nevertheless, he wanted to do all he could to help. He raised his paintbrush like a sword, ready to begin Sketching when need be. Serena nodded. "The more, the better," she said, telepathically as always, "After all, Pablo can Sketch for the purpose of using any moves he wishes, so he may as well use it constructively..."

Blip transformed from the form of the Smeargle, to the Ralts, and attempted a Teleport. It was slightly more successful than Ferien's attempt, though this was simply because She didn't want to throw herself off, into the water.
"If you all trust me, I can try to move us all at once, I think I know how I can do that!"

Beryl nodded. "The sooner we get to land, the better," he said.

Back
Top Bottom