• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Obstinea Mountains Apiary Terraces

Jackie Cat

A cat who writes stories.
Heartache staff
Pronoun
they or she
Some folks preferred the safety and amenities of civilisation. Others preferred the open wilderness, with all its hardships. But sometimes, in rare and special places, one could find a meadow, orchard, or garden that offered nature's beauty in peace and comfort.

Despite being built into the side of a mountain, Obstinea Abbey held a fair amount of natural greenery on its grounds. Most of the mountain plateaus had wildflower meadows, and even the smallest patches of soil between rocky ledges and tamped pathways grew colourful, persistent mountain weeds and mosses. On the largest of the south-facing plateaus, the monks tended to a sizable terraced garden.

Here the monks grew vegetables and herbs for the Abbey’s use, along with a few small uncanny berry trees, able to thrive near the local rift. However, the most space was dedicated to flowers of all varieties which painted the terraces in a rainbow of colours. Also painted a myriad of colours were a multitude of squat, wooden boxes scattered amongst the flowers. These were home to many, many hives of honeybees kept by the monks. With so many flowers to keep them busy, the honeybees would ignore most garden visitors in favor of collecting all the pollen they could carry. Even so, some of the more curious or friendly workers might buzz up to say hello before returning to their task.

The apiary and gardens were a peaceful refuge, like most of the monastery, but the constant drone of the hives and the pleasant scent from the flowers offered a sensory change from other places on the mountain.

<><><><><>
Many thanks to @Panoramic_Vacuum for assisting with the writeup.

Ch05: Lyle & Steven - A Tête-à-Tête With a Side of Honey
Lyle sat among the apiary terraces with a small bag of berries as the monks and beekeepers tended to the various beehives and plots, gleanings for the next leg of that trip westwards along with Rodion and whoever they could talk into coming along, even if a part of him was a bit doubtful they'd find many takers other than maybe Silver. That didn't bother him so much, especially now that Betel had given them a way of jumping around larger distances quickly.

It was this stupid paper staring down at him right now:

Reality sometimes makes it impossible to accomplish your desires

Lyle honestly didn't know why he'd felt compelled to hold onto the thing from Templefell Cavern, especially since it wasn't needed anymore, but somehow when he was asked to think of a complementing ideal for the truth he'd written, he just came up blank.

What on earth was there to even say about it? It was the truth. There were times when he'd want things and they just weren't possible to get, with no shortage of lived experience to back it up. He just felt as if he ought to have been able to think of something to finish it, but everything just felt unsatisfying when he played around with it in his head.

He sighed and folded the paper up, turning his attention off to the workers in the background. He supposed there were other things he should be worrying about, too. He'd tried to dabble a bit with this Radiance power they'd retrieved, but he wasn't really sure if he'd gotten the hang of things or not while Rodion seemed to be flying up there with it. And everyone here seemed to have everything figured out and balanced.

Everyone but him.

"How on earth do these 'mons make everything look so easy?"

Startled by a sigh, Steven turned to see a Cyndaquil tuck some paper away in his bag and stare skyward. Mistaking their reaction for something he did, Steven felt compelled to speak up and quickly waved an apologetic claw their way. "Ah sorry, my apologies. I didn't mean to disturb your reading."

"I was just taking in the sights-- it's my first time visiting the Abbey-- and I wasn't watching where I was going."

"It's a lovely place," he added, trying to make his intrusion less awkward. "I can see why you've chosen it for some quiet contemplation. Made less quiet now, I suppose." He scratched at the side of his head sheepishly, and only then did it dawn on him that this particular Cyndaquil looked rather familiar...

A familiar face, but also one he hadn't had the chance to speak with at length before. Perhaps this was a good opportunity? Considering he'd already bothered them, he might as well.

Steven cleared his throat with a small grating sound. "Lyle, right? Forgive me for being so forward, but I haven't seen you around the Haus in quite some time. Have you been spending time here at the Abbey instead?"

A familiar face, but also one he hadn't had the chance to speak with at length before. Perhaps this was a good opportunity? Considering he'd already bothered them, he might as well.

Steven cleared his throat with a small grating sound. "Lyle, right? Forgive me for being so forward, but I haven't seen you around the Haus in quite some time. Have you been spending time here at the Abbey instead?"

Lyle briefly flared up at the sound of something akin to grating metal and turned to see a Metang floating by him. He blinked briefly, before realizing from the fact that the Metang knew his name that this was probably...

"... Wait, are you that Steven 'mon from the Wayfarers?" he asked. "When on earth did you evolve?"

He'd heard that the recent fight with Cipher had been a bit of a big deal, but clearly a lot had happened lately. He folded the paper in his paws up and tucked it away, before turning back to the Metang's lingering question.

"Yeah, I guess that I have been spending a bit of time here. It's mostly just to prepare for a journey out further west with some friends to try and see what we can run into," he explained. "Though what was it that brought you up here?"

"Ah, yes that's me. Although it must have been quite a while that you've been away, if you haven't seen me since I was a Beldum!"

He chimed a light laugh before quieting into a slightly awkward smile.

"Ah, sorry. That was an attempt at a joke. I evolved somewhat recently, within the last month. I'm... still getting used to some things. It's a work in progress, you could say. Though, in a way, that's how we all are regardless of what body we inhabit, no?"

He hadn't expected to suddenly get so introspective. He studied the nearby flowers for a moment, appreciating the ceaseless work of the honeybees, and spoke while watching them buzz merrily along. "Perhaps that's why I'm here at the Abbey. This gift of Radiance, it's so new. I wanted to see what more I could learn about it, and maybe in turn learn how to better harness its potential. I was told that the Abbey was as good a place as any to start."

He eyed Lyle with a curious yet enthusiastic gaze. "You've been here at the Abbey for some time now. Have you discovered anything new about Radiance thus far? Is that why you've been preparing to head west, to research more about Radiance?"

Ah, sorry. That was an attempt at a joke. I evolved somewhat recently, within the last month. I'm... still getting used to some things. It's a work in progress, you could say. Though, in a way, that's how we all are regardless of what body we inhabit, no?"

"Yeah, I suppose," Lyle said. "It's a bit strange for me sometimes thinking that I've got this body again, since before I came here, I'd outgrown it a few years ago."

He hadn't expected to suddenly get so introspective. He studied the nearby flowers for a moment, appreciating the ceaseless work of the honeybees, and spoke while watching them buzz merrily along. "Perhaps that's why I'm here at the Abbey. This gift of Radiance, it's so new. I wanted to see what more I could learn about it, and maybe in turn learn how to better harness its potential. I was told that the Abbey was as good a place as any to start."

He eyed Lyle with a curious yet enthusiastic gaze. "You've been here at the Abbey for some time now. Have you discovered anything new about Radiance thus far? Is that why you've been preparing to head west, to research more about Radiance?"

"I actually was more here to go and see more of the world a bit farther into the boonies," he said. "I suppose that I've learned a couple of things about Radiance, but I haven't really much luck using it just yet."

"Ah, and here I was hoping I could witness a live demonstration." Steven kept his tone light, giving Lyle an easy smile that conveyed he wasn't actually disappointed. "If it helps, I haven't been able to use it myself yet either. I felt the power when the Wandering Light bestowed it, but nothing ever came of it."

He glanced down at one of his hands, slowly flexing his claws until they made a fist.

"Was it because I wasn't trying hard enough? Was it because I was scared of what would happen? Or was it another reason altogether?" His claws relaxed, and he looked back up to Lyle. "Sorry, I don't expect an answer to any of those. Or maybe I am, but from myself, with proper time and study."

"Although, I couldn't help but notice. You said you'd outgrown this body previously? So you're a pokemon where you're from, a quilava?" Steven brought a claw to his chin. "It's probably is obvious, but I'm not originally a Metang, or a pokemon at all, really. Perhaps that's got something to do with it, then? A lack of familiarity with one's self, and the ability to wield Radiance."

He trailed off, wondering if Lyle might have his own thoughts on the hypothesis.

"Ah, and here I was hoping I could witness a live demonstration." Steven kept his tone light, giving Lyle an easy smile that conveyed he wasn't actually disappointed. "If it helps, I haven't been able to use it myself yet either. I felt the power when the Wandering Light bestowed it, but nothing ever came of it."

"I mean, I think that I felt something of it before. But I dunno, everyone just tells me to close my eyes and focus, but I don't feel that power in me half the time."

He glanced down at one of his hands, slowly flexing his claws until they made a fist.

"Was it because I wasn't trying hard enough? Was it because I was scared of what would happen? Or was it another reason altogether?" His claws relaxed, and he looked back up to Lyle. "Sorry, I don't expect an answer to any of those. Or maybe I am, but from myself, with proper time and study."

Lyle hadn't considered the idea of being nervous potentially holding him back. Though he had to admit that he'd been a bit uneasy about the idea about that whole feeling others said that having a bunch of Radiance in oneself had which was apparently like being drunk.

"Although, I couldn't help but notice. You said you'd outgrown this body previously? So you're a pokemon where you're from, a quilava?" Steven brought a claw to his chin. "It's probably is obvious, but I'm not originally a Metang, or a pokemon at all, really. Perhaps that's got something to do with it, then? A lack of familiarity with one's self, and the ability to wield Radiance."

He trailed off, wondering if Lyle might have his own thoughts on the hypothesis.

"I actually hadn't considered that, but maybe you're onto something there," he said. "I was indeed a Quilava before coming here, and I suppose there's some things about that body that are pretty different from a Cyndaquil's."

He trailed off, before looking back at Steven.

"Though what exactly have you been trying to use Radiance?" he asked. "Maybe it'd make sense to see what we've both been attempting and maybe it'll help smooth things out."

"In truth, I'm not sure I've been attempting anything," Steven admitted, eyes uptilting in mild embarrassment. "I think... as much as I'd wanted to use Radiance, I also didn't. If that makes any sense."

He thought back to the raid on Cipher's base, how the gift of Radiance had been shoved in their hand mere seconds before they plunged into the earth on a mission. Trial by fire for a power that burned.

"The Wandering Light handed us the power to wield Radiance, said it would keep us safe from danger. Yet, it was handed to us like we were being armed, like it was a weapon..." A small frown crossed Steven's features. "And I didn't want to hurt people."

He glanced off to the side, watching the flowers dance in the breeze. "I don't particularly like fighting. Seems a little silly to admit, given what we've become involved in, the things we've been asked to do, the power we're able to attain."

Here, Steven paused for a moment, but it didn't last long as he considered what else Lyle had said. He brought a claw to his chin in thought.

"What had the Wandering Light said? 'Act with conviction, and it will come to you,'" he recited the Saint's words before fixing Lyle with a thoughtful stare. "I wonder if the advice you've been given so far is only part of the solution. Focus improves strength, but that's just one piece of the puzzle. I wonder if there's another step beyond focus that will help you to achieve your goal."

He glanced off to the side, watching the flowers dance in the breeze. "I don't particularly like fighting. Seems a little silly to admit, given what we've become involved in, the things we've been asked to do, the power we're able to attain."

Here, Steven paused for a moment, but it didn't last long as he considered what else Lyle had said. He brought a claw to his chin in thought.

"What had the Wandering Light said? 'Act with conviction, and it will come to you,'" he recited the Saint's words before fixing Lyle with a thoughtful stare. "I wonder if the advice you've been given so far is only part of the solution. Focus improves strength, but that's just one piece of the puzzle. I wonder if there's another step beyond focus that will help you to achieve your goal."

'Act with conviction, and it will come to you'? All this time, Lyle had been trying so hard to focus and latch onto that radiant power whenever he wanted to try to use it, yet he could only feel it sometimes when he tried.

Could he have been overlooking a simpler step to things all this time?

"Are... you suggesting that to use Radiance, you need to think less about trying to use it and just assume it'll be there when you need it?"

Steven brought a claw to his chin. "Perhaps? Although I didn't properly use Radiance myself, I certainly felt its effects. But I hadn't been trying to use it at the time. I remember wanting to help, so desperately. To be able to keep our plans from being disrupted, otherwise the fate of so many of Cipher's prisoners would be doomed. In that moment, I felt its warmth; not on my skin like when the Wandering Light gave us a portion of her power, but from within."

He eyed Lyle with optimism. "So maybe you're onto something. Like any good scientist will tell you, it certainly merits testing! I wonder what the good monks here would have to say about such an approach? Have you spoken with many of them in your time here?"

Steven brought a claw to his chin. "Perhaps? Although I didn't properly use Radiance myself, I certainly felt its effects. But I hadn't been trying to use it at the time. I remember wanting to help, so desperately. To be able to keep our plans from being disrupted, otherwise the fate of so many of Cipher's prisoners would be doomed. In that moment, I felt its warmth; not on my skin like when the Wandering Light gave us a portion of her power, but from within."

He eyed Lyle with optimism. "So maybe you're onto something. Like any good scientist will tell you, it certainly merits testing! I wonder what the good monks here would have to say about such an approach? Have you spoken with many of them in your time here?"

"I suppose that I talked with a few of them, but not really at depth," Lyle said. "I've been a bit distracted by preparing for my journey, and I suppose I've had a few things on my-"

Lyle trailed off after seeing a slip of paper start to flutter out of his bag with the wind. He abruptly flared up and hurriedly ran over to it.

"Ack!"

Much to his chagrin, when he caught it, it wound up unfurling with the wind, its contents available for the world to read.

A sudden breeze picked up, and Lyle almost lost his paper that he'd been reading. Steven hadn't meant to look at its contents, but he was startled to see that it wasn't some sort of long document as he'd assumed it was based on how intensely Lyle had been focused on it when he bumped into him. But rather it was a short, simple note.

"Some sort of sagely advice from the monks?" Steven asked, eye tilted in an approximation of a quirked brow.

A sudden breeze picked up, and Lyle almost lost his paper that he'd been reading. Steven hadn't meant to look at its contents, but he was startled to see that it wasn't some sort of long document as he'd assumed it was based on how intensely Lyle had been focused on it when he bumped into him. But rather it was a short, simple note.

"Some sort of sagely advice from the monks?" Steven asked, eye tilted in an approximation of a quirked brow.

"Er... not quite. It was a thing from this trial at Tempelfell Cavern where we were supposed to try and think of a complementing truth and ideal to get past a set of statues," Lyle explained.

He trailed off, and pawed at his shoulder flusteredly.

"I... guess that sounds kinda petty and stupid to you, huh?"

"I think it sounds like maybe you've had a tough life. Tougher than it should have been. That's not petty, or stupid."

He looked to Lyle, not with pity, but something closer to sympathy. It certainly wasn't a truth Steven was familiar with himself, very aware that he'd led a privileged life, compared to most.

"I take it that was your truth." Steven let his statement hang in the air, if Lyle wanted to elaborate on why he'd chosen that as the portion of his soul to bare.

"I think it sounds like maybe you've had a tough life. Tougher than it should have been. That's not petty, or stupid."

"I... mean, I suppose you're not wrong there," Lyle replied. "It's a little jarring to hear some of others talk about their 'normal life' and how it sounds so... peaceful."

He looked to Lyle, not with pity, but something closer to sympathy. It certainly wasn't a truth Steven was familiar with himself, very aware that he'd led a privileged life, compared to most.

"I take it that was your truth." Steven let his statement hang in the air, if Lyle wanted to elaborate on why he'd chosen that as the portion of his soul to bare.

"Er... well, yeah," he said. "Maybe it's just an artifact of how I was raised, but Pokémon where I live are sometimes said to have a thing for blunt truths, and- well, the truth I wrote down play out more times than I can count. Sometimes in front of my own eyes."

He turned aside and pawed at his shoulder.

"I dunno, I suppose that I'm not much of an optimist, but I just couldn't think of an ideal that really complemented that," he said. "Like what is there to complement about how often times you can't get the things you want? It just... is."

Steven's eyes widened at the haunting way Lyle said the word 'peaceful', only for his gaze to fall at the Cyndaquil's confirmation that life had not been the most kind to him.

"I can't claim to know what your desires are, if the things you wish for the most are things others take for granted, and I know this will sound ridiculous to someone in your position, with that kind of truth, but..."

His voice was low when he spoke next, like he was more than familiar with the weight of what he was about to say.

"What if you were able to get what you wanted, and it turns out to not actually be the thing you wanted?"

Steven knit his claws together, rubbing at one of the notches that ran around the circumference of one of them. "I tried to achieve what I thought I wanted without knowing how to actually do that, and... It's a different kind of path when you only know what you don't want."

He paused for a moment, eyes downcast in thought.

"Maybe," he began, "the complement is that there isn't always a clear path to get what you want, and that in the end you'll gain more by taking the long, winding path to your goal than the direct one."

His voice was low when he spoke next, like he was more than familiar with the weight of what he was about to say.

"What if you were able to get what you wanted, and it turns out to not actually be the thing you wanted?"

Steven knit his claws together, rubbing at one of the notches that ran around the circumference of one of them. "I tried to achieve what I thought I wanted without knowing how to actually do that, and... It's a different kind of path when you only know what you don't want."

He paused for a moment, eyes downcast in thought.

"Maybe," he began, "the complement is that there isn't always a clear path to get what you want, and that in the end you'll gain more by taking the long, winding path to your goal than the direct one."

"I... guess that that's something you'd only know from trying to get something you desired for long and hard enough," Lyle said. "Though I guess I can see the logic."

He trailed off after noticing Steven's change in mood, and couldn't help but wonder.

"Though you seemed to have something on your mind when suggesting that," the Cyndaquil said. "Is there a story behind that?"

"It's, ah, a bit of a long story," Steven said sheepishly. "I guess the short version is I tried to break free from a future full of responsibility I didn't want, only to wind up in another position that was different, but in a way very much the same."

He fiddled again with the notch in his claw before finding Lyle's gaze with his own.

"I don't regret my choices, but I didn't realize what I was getting myself into at the time. What I thought was a solution was a solution, but it brought with it its own set of problems that I was too shortsighted to see."

A small chuckle escaped him. "It's not as dire as I make it sound. I get to spend time with my pokemon; and only because of my decision to pursue this path, I got the chance to meet them in the first place. Without them, my life would be very different. That's what I value most."

Steven's earlier unease was pushed out by the conviction in his voice. "So your truth rings true for me as well. Reality certainly got in the way of achieving my desire. But it also gave me what I didn't know I needed, and that was worth more than what I wanted."

He paused for a moment, tapping two claws together in a hesitant gesture before fixing Lyle with a curious stare. "Forgive me, I have to ask. The way you talk of it, you make your situation sound bleak. What's stopping you from trying?"

He paused for a moment, tapping two claws together in a hesitant gesture before fixing Lyle with a curious stare. "Forgive me, I have to ask. The way you talk of it, you make your situation sound bleak. What's stopping you from trying?"

"I mean, back in my own world, there was a huge war going on and I got myself into a situation where I wound up having to steal to survive. So I guess to answer your question, I just didn't see a point in trying," Lyle explained. "Everything going on seemed so beyond the ability of me or any one Pokémon to do anything about it, and I was just focused more on trying to make it to the next day."

Lyle trailed off and looked aside.

"I mean, I know that we were brought here to be 'heroes' and all that, but sometimes it's just genuinely hard to think that we can really make a difference or change anything that would save an entire world."

Back
Top Bottom