• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Are planets living organisms?

If predators didn't exist populations would control themselves. Predation is hardly the only limiting factor on population size!

Perhaps, but it's the first and foremost. If predators never existed, what would stop the world from becoming extremely crowded? Perhaps there would be factors to make the massive levels be reached later, but nothing would stop them from being reached altogether. It's worth remembering mankind managed to rise above all predators, and now, we're billions.

Speaking of mankind, human history is good evidence that stability leads to instability.

No, it isn't. First and foremost is the limited availability of space and resources. Humans rose in numbers because we discovered ways to increase the number of resources available to us, and to adapt to environments where we previously couldn't survive. Nothing to do with predators.

How do you explain apex predators? Nothing hunts them, and yet they don't go extinct.

Hm... I guess that's true.

On the matter of apex predators, though, if I'm not misunderstanding the term, there's the fact each individual that eats another individual only gets about 10% of their energy, so, they'd have to hunt more in order to satisfy their energy needs. The ones unable to do so would starve, meaning population would be under control by natural selection.

No. No it wouldn't. You are misunderstanding the process of natural selection.

But your thinking is right. Of course they would die because of lack of food! But why shouldn't this apply to other trophic levels as well? Primary consumers, primary carnivores, whatever; once a certain population size is reached, the environment cannot sustain them all and the population will fall. No predators needed. That was the point I was making.

Is the planet an organism? No.

However, one must take into account what does go on inside a planet: tectonic plates move, climate changes, seasons change, tides get lower or higher, grass grows...

To say that the planet is not an active body of mass that transforms, carries, and recycles energy constantly would be a lie. Earth is constantly changing, and although it might not be alive, it is an active biosphere that resembles, in some way, stuff that is living.

To say that the planet is not an active body of mass that transforms, carries, and recycles energy constantly would be a lie.

No, it wouldn't. Organisms transform, carry, and recycle (to an extent) energy. The planet does nothing. Yes, they are part of the biosphere, but saying "Earth is kinda alive because the biosphere is composed of living things" is as silly as redefining life to suit your purposes.

The Gaia hypothesis has existed longer than your preferred definition of "life," opaltiger.

So? I believe I have already pointed out that the Gaia hypothesis never claims that the Earth is literally alive. Also, while it may be true that the characteristics of life as they are stated today postdate the Gaia hypothesis, I am willing to wager they have been around in some form for much longer.

A similar point could be made against any superorganism.

But no one is saying that a superorganism is literally a single organism.

not to mention the time that a theorem has existed has jack shit to do with the inherent truth value of it

so uh

what

Back
Top Bottom