• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

ASB Rules

If a Pokemon uses a move that hits multiple targets which include its ally, will its ally count towards the number of targets when calculating how much the move's BP should decrease by?

For example uh... If a Pokemon uses Earthquake in a double battle, will its attack do 0.75 or 0.5 times its original damage?

incidentally I do not quite understand why intrinsically-spread moves necessarily have their damage reduced just because there are multiple targets.

consider earthquake: I see no reasonable way to make it target only a specific target; but surely either it is equally spread to all targets -- in which case reducing damage at all makes little sense; or it can be aimed to particularly affect a single pokémon or group of pokémon -- in which case secondary targets certainly should take reduced damage, but the primary targets should probably take just as much damage as if they were the only targets in the first place.

unless illogicking as we always do, I guess.

Illogicking and following game mechanics. Quoted from Bulbapedia, "Moves that hit multiple Pokémon have their power reduced to 75% of their normal base power, unless all other Pokémon have fainted at that point."

yes but those are game mechanics which a computer follows, whereas asb is mediated by humans. illogicking would be illogical.

besides, the game mechanics can be rationalized as if you're going to only target the one, it'll be as powerful as it would otherwise; if you're targetting multiple, you're not targetting any single one in particular, so it's decreased for all. mind that it is a static decrease, not a decrease per pokémon.

is logicking asb healthy

A lot of things in ASB are illogical because they follow game mechanics. Why would for example, Mud Bomb always fail to hit a Pokemon like Pidgeotto, even if they were not specifically commanded to fly up to avoid it? But these mechanics are what keep the game balanced, so. *shrug* Sometimes we just have to illogic stuff!

And I dunno about you, but I'm not particularly keen on deciding how an Earthquake should be spread out and how much it should deal to each Pokemon based on distance or weight or what have you. :P Static decrease is much easier to handle.

I'd expect it to follow an inverse square law. perhaps technically inverse cube, but as the distance increases, the contribution third dimension becomes negligible.

If a Pokemon uses a move that hits multiple targets which include its ally, will its ally count towards the number of targets when calculating how much the move's BP should decrease by?

For example uh... If a Pokemon uses Earthquake in a double battle, will its attack do 0.75 or 0.5 times its original damage?
Attacks that hit the pokémon's partner(s) affect "all" the field, and are therefore target: all rather than target: multiple attacks.

AAG said:
Unlike multiple-target attacks, damage to any given pokémon is not mitigated based on the fact that the attack strikes several targets.

This is how it used to work in the games as well.

And if I recall correctly, it's the originally single-target attacks being spread out, such as a Flamethrower, that get damage reduction. Is that correct?

No, an attack like blizzard that can hit multiple opponents, but not your own teammates, takes a damage reduction. Reduction in damage for single-target attacks that are "swept" or "spread" is more severe.

can one use a target: multiple move in such a way that it hits teammates anyway (due to ... negligence, I guess) and not suffer a damage reduction?

Back
Top Bottom