• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Attacks and Abilities Guide

The explaination on Synthesis doesn't make the numbers clear. If a Pokémon uses it while Sunny Day is in effect, does it gain 50% of health, or does it fully heal itself?

Prettzel

Yes.

Kratos Aurion

It would not.

blazheirio889

About 5% per action, unless you were trying to ask something else.

Mike the Foxhog

Substitute behaves like safeguard or own tempo would towards swagger. It blocks confusion but not the attack raise.

Metallica Fanboy

It heals 66% health when the sun is out--this is stated under sunny day's description, but I added it to synthesis' text as well.

Also nerfed swallow and spit up as I had been intending. Also reversing a previous ruling on uproar so that it is no longer the suckiest attack ever: uproar can be commanded to last for a specified number of actions when it is first used. No other attacks can be used during that time, but the uproar will end after the appropriate number of actions. If uproar is triggered by something other than a trainer's command, though, it will still be random 3-5 actions with nothing else usable during that time.

Can Roost and Chill be combined? Seems to me that combining attacks requires the Pokémon to use some element of both attacks together, but Roost and Chill involve essentially the same action. But then that same property makes it seem as though they could reasonably be combined. (Also not sure if this is the right thread to ask about plausible combinations, sorry.)

Say two Pokémon have switched something (abilities with Skill Swap, items with Trick, etc) around and one of them fainted. Does it undo the switch, or does the effects of such last until the end of the match?

Changes to items last until the end of the battle. Changes to something like abilities last until the individual affected Pokémon leaves battle for any reason; its opponent leaving battle for whatever reason doesn't do anything.

Um... Im not sure if this is the right place to ask, but how do stat boosts affect damage?

I mean, for example, a pokemon uses swords dance and then a physical attack.
Would that add 2% to the damage, or multiply it by a certain number?
How much difference does a stat boost that equals 1 do?

I feel like it's a late point to ask this one, but still, Im rather clueless.

Um... Im not sure if this is the right place to ask, but how do stat boosts affect damage?

I mean, for example, a pokemon uses swords dance and then a physical attack.
Would that add 2% to the damage, or multiply it by a certain number?
How much difference does a stat boost that equals 1 do?

I feel like it's a late point to ask this one, but still, Im rather clueless.

Pretty sure that's answered before somewhere. Each increase/decrease generally represents 10 points of base damage; so, if a Pokémon uses Swords Dance and then Fire Punch the base damage would be 95 rather than 75, and if it uses Iron Defense and then is hit by Fire Punch it'd be cut to 55. In the case of a reduction, Captivate would rise Dark Pulse's base damage to 100, and yeah I'm pretty certain you get it now. In short, yes, Swords Dance would raise a physical attack's damage by 2% before any calculations, Leer would raise it by 1%, and so on.

It varies between refs. I actually raise it 2% for a single boost, but 1% is fine. Any more than 2% would be pushing it, though.

The same as an attack that hits. You don't expend any less effort just because your aim was off.

Do previous Special Attack increases or decreases affect damage done by Future Sight?

Not quite sure what you mean by that, but it works like this: any modifications to the user's special attack at the time it was launched affect future sight's final damage. However, it is the target's special defense at the time the attack strikes that affects the damage.

So if a pokemon had +2 special attack boost to future sight, the attack would carry that boost when it struck even if the pokemon had since lost its boosts. On the other hand, if the foe had -2 special defense when the attack struck, it would receive a greater amount of damage even if its special defense was normal when the attack was launched.

This contradicts the way that it works in the games but seems to me to make more sense.

Not quite sure what you mean by that, but it works like this: any modifications to the user's special attack at the time it was launched affect future sight's final damage. However, it is the target's special defense at the time the attack strikes that affects the damage.

So if a pokemon had +2 special attack boost to future sight, the attack would carry that boost when it struck even if the pokemon had since lost its boosts. On the other hand, if the foe had -2 special defense when the attack struck, it would receive a greater amount of damage even if its special defense was normal when the attack was launched.

This contradicts the way that it works in the games but seems to me to make more sense.

If I were to combine two moves that would not combine (ie, Confuse Ray + Ice Punch), would the moves just be fired one after the other?)

The moves in question are Curse and Pain Split, respectively. I'm not sure if they would merge.

Magic Guard: A veil of virtuous power surrounds and protects this pokémon, giving it total immunity to damage from all but the most straightforward of attacks. Thus a pokémon with this ability will take no damage from leech seed, weather damage, spikes, or indeed any effect that is not caused by a directly damaging attack used by the opponent.

Just for clarification: would a pokemon with this ability be effectively immune to poison and the damage from a burn?

If I were to combine two moves that would not combine (ie, Confuse Ray + Ice Punch), would the moves just be fired one after the other?)

The moves in question are Curse and Pain Split, respectively. I'm not sure if they would merge.
No on both counts.

Just for clarification: would a pokemon with this ability be effectively immune to poison and the damage from a burn?
You are correct: if you burn a pokemon with magic guard, it still gets the status and associated attack drop, but it will not take damage. Likewise no damage from poison.

If a Pokémon with klutz is holding an item like soothe bell or lucky egg, has its ability changed to something else via skill swap/roleplay/whatever and finishes the battle in that condition, can it use the end-of-battle effect of that item then?

Back
Top Bottom