• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

ATTN: Introductions

Status
Not open for further replies.
You go into your user control pannel, via the user CP button at the top of the page, and hit the edit signature button. You can put images in there via

I disagree because I don't think policing how people are allowed to welcome others is a good idea. It's kind of... dumb.

Speaking as a new member...I actually liked the welcome mats and foam swords and tea and cod and all that. I thought it was funny and..well...made this forum different from others like pokecommunity. The only thing that puts me off on this site is that everyone knows everyone and no one knows me (albeit, that's probably from lack of effort on my part to make friends + my terrible social skills) and no one WANTS to know me. Makes the newbies feel like outsiders. Just sayin'.

Well, perhaps a way to make the newbies feel less like outsiders is to at least ask that people include a more direct response to a new member's post. It's one thing if you throw in a little in-joke but actually respond to what the member says about themselves (to those who do this already, thank you); it's another thing entirely if you just copy-paste the same generic "introduction" and a "hi" that provides no indication that you've read what the new member is saying. People have different senses of humor when it comes to that thing, whatever, but surely you agree that you'd have liked it even more if more of them actually tried to converse with you instead of just dropping a silly post and then leaving, or similar?

No, I don't especially like the idea of "policing" posts. I like the idea of knowing that the welcoming committee is being sincere about at least some of what they say, and that they are willing to talk to me instead of automatically assuming I get their obscure in-joke.

Last edited:
Yeah, I really don't like when someone just pops in, says hi, makes a joke, and then disappears. I was just saying that the jokes in and of themselves aren't bad or ridiculous or anything like that. But the jokes aren't enough on their own to make a good greeting. It's nice to know someone actually took the time to read your introduction that you wrote.

^I see what you're saying. and I completely disagree with the "No one WANTS to know you" part. The thing about this forum is that everyone is welcome. Take it from me—I knew no one until I reached six hundred posts; It comes over time. I like you, as a user.

I don't like haveing a thread of introductions. I like how people can make there own thread with there own style and acctuly be welcomed by people in there own thread and not posting in a thread every newmember posts in. If this was the Case I might not hve registered

I don't like haveing a thread of introductions. I like how people can make there own thread with there own style and acctuly be welcomed by people in there own thread and not posting in a thread every newmember posts in. If this was the Case I might not hve registered

okay.

^I see what you're saying. and I completely disagree with the "No one WANTS to know you" part. The thing about this forum is that everyone is welcome. Take it from me—I knew no one until I reached six hundred posts; It comes over time. I like you, as a user.

Hopefully my six hundred posts come soon~ I'm always so..nervous, about posting in random threads such as the cafe of doom. Generally because I have NO IDEA what anyone is talking about xD Oh well. I'm joining RP's, mehbe that'll help me meet people ^.^

^ Agreed, though the spelling killed my brain =)

I disagree because I don't think policing how people are allowed to welcome others is a good idea. It's kind of... dumb.

I'm not sure I understand where you're coming from. we police members on how they should behave already (not that you're a sterling example of this). a lot of contributions to introduction threads (not all, mind you) are pretty much borderline spam. actually I'd be willing to argue that nearly all of the "hi, avoid the _______" posts are pretty much spam because none of their content reflects any admission of reading the first post and is pretty much completely unrelated. :'

as for "I don't like haveing a thread of introductions. I like how people can make there own thread with there own style and acctuly be welcomed by people in there own thread and not posting in a thread every newmember posts in. If this was the Case I might not hve registered":

there is literally no difference in what impact you can have via "style" between creating a thread and creating a single post, since the two are essentially equivalent acts in this case. I don't see the problem with receiving PMs or even visitor messages (hell, as far as I can tell, people barely use them) and I don't know what you're trying to say after that.

actually I see the whole introduction thing as sort of pointless in the first place BUT I guess I can see where the allure might be.

I'm not sure I understand where you're coming from. we police members on how they should behave already (not that you're a sterling example of this). a lot of contributions to introduction threads (not all, mind you) are pretty much borderline spam. actually I'd be willing to argue that nearly all of the "hi, avoid the _______" posts are pretty much spam because none of their content reflects any admission of reading the first post and is pretty much completely unrelated. :'

as for "I don't like haveing a thread of introductions. I like how people can make there own thread with there own style and acctuly be welcomed by people in there own thread and not posting in a thread every newmember posts in. If this was the Case I might not hve registered":

there is literally no difference in what impact you can have via "style" between creating a thread and creating a single post, since the two are essentially equivalent acts in this case. I don't see the problem with receiving PMs or even visitor messages (hell, as far as I can tell, people barely use them) and I don't know what you're trying to say after that.

actually I see the whole introduction thing as sort of pointless in the first place BUT I guess I can see where the allure might be.
It's just the principle of the matter, really. I mean, you could just ignore the Introductions as some other people have said if they annoy you so much?

There's a lot of things that annoy me on these forums, but these things involve other people having fun, so I don't try to stomp on their fun. Greetings aren't something that are just supposed to be mechanical and have a bunch of rules behind them. I myself find those things annoying and I don't really understand all the greeting memes. But I don't think that means you should try to police something so trivial as how someone greets someone. It's not hurting anyone as far as I'm concerned, and some of the newer members DO like it. If you want to stop it, then maybe put a small guideline/suggestion in the rules of these forums against copypasting the same things over and over again to different people, and be done with it.

Also, it really isn't the same. You see, when you make an introduction thread, it's more likely that more people will pay attention to and greet you. It's YOUR thread, after all, your time to introduce yourself. If you're just posting in some generic thread that everyone posts in, I think it's not really as individualized, despite people copypasting things. Approaching people via PM or visitor message just seems... awkward. I myself don't really like approaching people I don't know that well, and I'm sure a lot of people would feel the same way. If you could do it in a public place, it would most likely feel more comfortable. I think that, in the end, nobody would probably get greeted at all or really ever bother to making introductions. It'd just... ruin the sentiment entirely. This just seems... far too inflexible and impractical to work, really.

Arylett said:
But I don't think that means you should try to police something so trivial as how someone greets someone.
but the point is that they aren't greeting them, for the most part, it's often 'hello, I'm <username>, avoid the foam swords/welcome mats/monkeycheese, kthxbai'.

Arylett Dawnsborough said:
If you want to stop it, then maybe put a small guideline/suggestion in the rules of these forums against copypasting the same things over and over again to different people, and be done with it.

we already do, it's called spam. o.o I would imagine that it's obvious that we don't want people posting the same thing repeatedly in different threads, especially when they aren't even welcoming people and it's just silly in-jokes that could easily fit into the Cafe of Doom.

Also, I dislike the mentality of 'if you don't like it, just ignore it'; you wouldn't just ignore someone who posted the same things in say, the art forum, would you? it's somewhere you particularly like to post, and I'm sure it'd annoy you if people did that. I frequent the introduction threads, but I often don't post because I have little to say; this doesn't mean that I should ignore it when people post the same thing in each thread. I'd be personally annoyed if someone posted just to share an in-joke with another member instead of actually welcoming me to the forums, anyway.

but, it hardly matters. people seem to have gotten the hint somewhat so it doesn't matter anymore I suppose.

This just seems... far too inflexible and impractical to work, really.
Really? A lot of the forums (pretty much all the non-TCoD) I frequent only have a single thread for all introductions. And it works fine and I really haven't seen anyone been ignored on those intro threads. :?

Separate introduction threads usually have very little content, it's just "I like this and maybe this" or sometimes just a simple "hi". I feel all that could easily be contained in a single thread.
Plus, for example, in my intro thread, none of the people who posted have become any sort of friends with me. Replying to introduction threads seems to be just for the 'postcount +1' or some sort of trivial 'older member status' thing, not 'you seem cool, I want to get to know you better'. :U

And it might be just me, but I feel kind of awkward about creating intro threads, they make me feel really stupid. The 'everyone introduce yourself here' kind of intro thread would be much easier to post in, especially if you can't think of anything thread-worthy to say about yourself.

I wasn't even going to post an intro thread; I got along fine without one on all other forums I joined and it was a clutter of inside jokes anyway. then that annoying header was like "Intro dude" and I did to make it go away. I think even removing that header would cut down on the traffic a lot in this forum.

I'm pretty sure the header goes away once you make any sort of thread in any forum, since I didn't make an intro thread and I don't get that header.

you wouldn't just ignore someone who posted the same things in say, the art forum, would you?

uv brings up a good point! this "just ignore it" attitude betrays much more about the population's attitude towards the Introduction forum in general, I believe. it's barely a place to be actually greeted and welcomed but just a tool to spread a form of humor that is not universally appreciated and is borderline spam.

if someone were to copy and paste the exact same criticisms in everyone's fiction thread, they would probably get the shit slapped out of them. but it's not happening here.

I'm all for "ignore the spam if you don't like it", but that's only a valid argument if the spam is confined to a particular forum that you can easily avoid without missing any other content - hence Forum Games. You like copy-pasting tea and cod all over the place? Go do it there, and call it the "Standing in the back welcoming people dressed stupidly and looking stupid game"; don't do it in Introductions, though. New members can't avoid Introductions seeing as there is (was?) an annoying header that forces you to post there at least once, and hey, I used to enjoy looking around Introductions for interesting newcomers so I could strike up a conversation with anyone who seemed particularly friendly or intelligent. Not so much nowadays!

Besides, it's a matter of common courtesy. Frankly, I'd feel a little hurt if I posted a thread in Introductions and all I got was an automated, generic welcome or two from noreply@tcod.com.

Hiya! My name is bailey27727 or my preferred Bailius, and I'm interested in things such as anime, fantasies such as Lord of the Rings and Harry Potter, and creative stuffs. I'll probably be spending a lot of time in the roleplay forum because I think it would be nice to try out. PM me if you'd like to get to know me better!

I'm back back again hope to stay lol. Its been quite some time since I been here. Its nice to find people who are into this just like me. Its extremly odd to say in public hey do you like pokemon but anyhow hey.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom