• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Aviculor's fakemon

Wow, you're amazing! You should make your own spriting "class" sometime by sending apprentices messages with what to do! PLEASE TEACH US THE WAY OF SCRATCHING!!

Also, Aurion seems too pink, no offense. Maybe a little more color... Like replace one area with a pale pink-violet?

EDIT: Can you give me a link to the tutorials you've used?

Yes, link to the tutorials so we can learn from your greatness, or if you want to and have time then you can make one yourself. I love reading tutorials if they're good. Thanks.

http://z14.invisionfree.com/c_spriting/index.php?showtopic=9816&st=0&
you might have to register first.

maggut.gif

Maggut​

You know I admire your sprites. =P I like Liform a lot-- have you, perchance, been playing Spore? xD Anyway, what's its gimmick? Does it change between the different formes, or do you just encounter the different variants seperately, in the manner of Spinda?

...Also, you could C+P the tutorial here... people would appreciate it. :3 But I understand if you would want to draw people towards CS.

Awesome sprites! I actually did find a few awkward things about them though...

glaby.gif

Why is that line there on the face? Is it marking an edge of some sort? If so, the shading probably shouldn't be the same on both sides. If it's some kind of line, well, it doesn't fit well.

geovark.gif

like this, with a darker shade away from the light.

guilliette-1.gif

Why is the our-right bottom part of the big blade's outline lighter and not rounded?

aurion.gif

A few things on this one- the shading on the our-left wing is... kinda boring. And thick. It looks plastic. The tail, it looks like it distorts behind the back leg. All but this leg don't look like they are firmly on the ground, wither. And last of all, o.o bright.

gigarapple.gif

Something about the tail bugs me... I can't point it out right now, but it might be the size, position, or non-connectiveness. Or I could be wrong.

tesleeta.gif

The yellow spotted area looks too close to the eye, it makes the eye look squished. Also, the very bottoms of the legs look too light.

I could go on forever if I was complimenting you too, but I think everyone else has that taken care of =D Keep up the good work!

glaby.gif

Why is that line there on the face? Is it marking an edge of some sort? If so, the shading probably shouldn't be the same on both sides. If it's some kind of line, well, it doesn't fit well.
i made its skin dull, where the shade that would be the highlight according to the palette is used as more of a base shade. so, it isn't really shiny enough where it would create a discernible highlight.

guilliette-1.gif

Why is the our-right bottom part of the big blade's outline lighter and not rounded?
if that section was individually rounded, the entire shape of it would be thrown off. i've actually done a lot of work and editing on that sprite, particularly the blade.

aurion.gif

A few things on this one- the shading on the our-left wing is... kinda boring. And thick. It looks plastic. The tail, it looks like it distorts behind the back leg. All but this leg don't look like they are firmly on the ground, wither. And last of all, o.o bright.
the shininess (which is really just relative to my usual style) and artificial-looking wings was done on purpose. the wings aren't "real" wings, but clumps of its mane stuck up to look like wings, and its back legs are standing on their tip-toes. i guess i can edit that to be more apparent.

gigarapple.gif

Something about the tail bugs me... I can't point it out right now, but it might be the size, position, or non-connectiveness. Or I could be wrong.
i was looking at real dinosaurs when designing its tail, so i don't know what to say.

tesleeta.gif

The yellow spotted area looks too close to the eye, it makes the eye look squished. Also, the very bottoms of the legs look too light.
i don't see its eye being squished, strange. i'll see if i can fix the legs, but they are meant to come down to a distinct point.

nitpik.gif

Nitpik​

Wow, I missed so much in my absence. Lifeform is really cool! Like Involuntary Twitch, I'd like to hear a bit more about the forms.

i was looking at real dinosaurs when designing its tail, so i don't know what to say.

I'm not a spriter and so not really qualified to critique your spriting skills, but the tail does look anatomically awkward. It's thicker around than his head, even as it starts to taper, and no theropod dinosaur had a tail that fat and massive. It needs to be slimmed down and perhaps lengthened slightly. He might also look a little better with more noticeable knees, but it's your design and maybe it's supposed to be that way.

I do really like your fakes, though. Overall, they're very well done. What a pity you don't take requests... ah, well. Keep up the good work.

i made its skin dull, where the shade that would be the highlight according to the palette is used as more of a base shade. so, it isn't really shiny enough where it would create a discernible highlight.
So you just drew a line because of lack of a better idea? I'm not sure I understand your logic. I mean, I understand the dull palatte thing, but not why there needs to be a line.

if that section was individually rounded, the entire shape of it would be thrown off. i've actually done a lot of work and editing on that sprite, particularly the blade.
Ok, if you say it screws up if you round it... But that still doesn't understand the highlight on the bottom of the blade.

the shininess (which is really just relative to my usual style) and artificial-looking wings was done on purpose. the wings aren't "real" wings, but clumps of its mane stuck up to look like wings, and its back legs are standing on their tip-toes. i guess i can edit that to be more apparent.
OK, I didn't get that.

I agree with Kratos on the tail part. Not the knee part though, they seem OK to me.

i don't see its eye being squished, strange. i'll see if i can fix the legs, but they are meant to come down to a distinct point.
Here, I made an example. Mine's the second one.

tesleeta.gif
crazyanimalfixed78286.bmp

See, in mine, I got rid of the toe highlights and gave the eye breathing room. I guess I just see the yello space as like a "coat" that he is wearing that was up to his eye. Sorta...
nitpik.gif

Nitpik​
Nice but, what is it? a potato?

@KA: pity not that i don't take requests, but that people always come up with the most ridiculous requests for skilled people in order to see if they can do it, as if the spriter is a circus performer. even though it's unfortunate that i can't get away with giving a uniquely muscular tail to a fighting legendary dinosaur, while everyone and their grandmother bastardizes everything invertebrate, i'm editing Gigarapple's tail and knees.

@Zulo: Glaby's head has a hammer-like shape to it, but lacks the luster to need a highlight. or, at least, that's what i was thinking when i made it.

Guilliette's entire blade is facing the light source. if the bottom didn't have a highlight, it wouldn't look attached to the purple frame.

Aurion's wings are shaded like that because they're clumps of hair and not feathered appendages.

with Gigarapple, it's probably a rough transition between a completely saurian tail and a vaguely humanoid torso. as i said above, i'll be editing it.

i think the paw-tips on your Tesleeta edit are too dark, i guess it's just perspective. as for it's eyes, it kind of ruins the shape i was going for, a little like on this, but with the black eye rings extending all the way up the ears.

Nitpik is my region's Metapod equivalent, a cross between a louse egg and a flea pupa. it actually has three final forms, the first of which is the first one on this list.

pestilouse.gif

Pestilouse

hagnez.gif

Hagnez

barnub.gif
barneck.gif
barnander.gif

Barnub, Barneck, Barnander

bleech.gif

Bleech​

my problem is that i use poke-logic half the time and real biology half the time. still trying to balance that.

Last edited:
Maybe you should try scratching Realmon(as in, Pikachu, Raichu, etc) and letting me edit it to be my fakemon, perhaps? *grins evilly but doesn't care if you don't do it*

Well, if it was your intent to give it a thick tail then by all means ignore me.

And I do agree. "I just want to see if you can do it" requests are annoying. Not that I get many requests lately, but still. Don't ask for it if you don't actually want it/intend to do something with it.

no, it's no big deal, i think it looks better now. it's just that i don't like how people in general expect fakemon of certain kinds of animals to be anatomically perfect while not giving a second thought about the ones based on other kinds. that's just me and my insane, freaky, bug-accepting ways, though.

when i was starting out, about 3 years ago, i did take requests on a forum i've long since abandoned. some guy wanted me to make a re-element of metagross, steel/psychic/grass/dark/electric/dragon/fire, i think.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom