• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Backwards Mafia [D7]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Backwards Mafia [N1]

September 7th, 2011

"It's been real tough keeping this one quiet," the officer told me as he hurried me through the police barricade. "I don't even know what they're telling the media. Like, maybe they're trying to pass it off as some kind of weird modern art protest thing, or something."

The tarp had been pulled back from the thing's upper body, and the forensics team was snapping photographs. One woman was tweezing a hair from one of the patches of skin that dotted its glass-glossy black form like tumors.

"It's a demon," I told my companion, and pulled the tarp back farther to get a better look. "A demon corpse."

"You're sure it's dead?"

"A demon is a creature of the pit that has been bound to this plane. Its essence comes here, but its body stays there. The only ones who can see it are the one who summoned it, and the one it was sent to kill. A living demon is as insubstantial as a shadow in this world. They don't kill their targets directly, but haunt them until they are driven mad by fear. To kill a demon, you must first transport its physical body from the pit, then slay it. What you see here is the corpse."

"Oh," was all the officer could think of to say. He did not care to join me in my inspection. At length he asked, "But what about those other bits?"

"A demon takes a trophy from each thing that it kills. They show a preference for teeth." A member of the forensics team was digging one out from its rocky setting in one of the smaller mouths on the demon's first set of arms.

The officer squeezed his eyes shut and shook his head. "Okay. Lovely. But I don't get it. Aren't demons kind of their thing? I mean, why would they kill one of their own monsters?"

"Demons are no one's allies. They're tools, but they're very difficult to use. This one probably escaped whatever bindings they laid on it and was acting independently. It would have been at least as dangerous to them as to us." I ran my hand over the long fissure down the corpse's rocky flank. "We're lucky they got it before it went on a rampage. It would have killed all of them first, I'm sure, but after that--well, we'd have even less of a chance of defending ourselves." He was quiet after that, and I was able to collect photographs of the inscriptions tattooed on the corpse without further interruption.

As we were leaving, however, he finally asked, "How do you know all this stuff about... whatever the hell this shit is? I thought you were a janitor or something?" I had to smile at that. I suppose I should be thankful that I am able to find some humor in the turns my life has taken.

It has been difficult to sleep. The yammering never ceases. The spirits' voices remain indistinct and confused, which makes them fairly easy to ignore, but their constant prattle needles me like a horde of stinging insects. I have been able to resist doing anything rash in response to their ranting, but I fear that their incessant muttering will be enough to drive me to mad in the end. The strain of this case is already beginning to take its toll on my colleagues, after all; only yesterday, one of the junior officers was found dead in his apartment, apparently from a drug overdose. And if the stress is enough to affect them so, how can I expect to withstand it any better, with my added burden of hearing the whispers of victims and killers alike?

An alien is dead. An inspector is also dead. You have forty-eight hours for discussion.

Just as a side note: you shouldn't draw any conclusions based on the sex of characters mentioned in the mod posts. I just found it difficult to write these posts without referring to the sex of the characters. However, they have nothing to do with the pronouns their associated players go by, so if a character that dies is referred to as "she," that doesn't narrow the suspects down to only players using female pronouns, etc.

Last edited:
Re: Backwards Mafia [D1]

Well, this seems pretty straightforward. Mafia targeted surskittailsy, who was an alien like we guessed, and two or more doctors targeted Phantom, who was not lying about being inspector. Or at least presumably that's it, unless we're having the most ridiculous luck ever.

...too bad this means we're completely out of leads again, what with Phantom's only inspection having been surskittailsy. Unless the inspection went through before the doctor death and Phantom still got a result?

Well, at least you don't have the alien to worry about any more 8| 8| 8| 8|

best luck ever

Hm, I don't think it'd be so ridiculous for the mafia to have targeted somebody other than surskitty on the first night, figured that they were an alien when they didn't die, and attacked them again. A third-party role like alien wouldn't have any reason to want to claim after dying; it's possible that the mafia might've wanted to pass surskitty off as the dead alien in case that might make us less likely to want to lynch her. Maybe it'd be a good idea to lynch surskitty just to be sure. Even if that possibility's not very likely, at least we won't have to use up another chance to abstain today.

I don't have any reason to post at all! But sure, you can lynch me if you like - I don't imagine I can be any more dead.

If it comes down to having no leads and we don't want to waste another abstain then it wouldn't be a bad idea.

This is probably way overthinking it, but what are the chances of there being two aliens? I mean, the morning post says an alien was killed, not the. I guess with the number of people we have, that's unlikely(?), but something about surskitty's posts makes me a bit suspicious.

this isn't a thing is it

Multiple aliens is a highly unlikely thing in mafia, except maybe in a TV Tropes Mafia-sized game or a game where multiple aliens is the theme. It's a possibility, just an extremely small one.

Last edited:

I dunno, it's probably just streamlined language used in order to confuse. I would doubt there's more than one alien, and I *was* the alien until I was shot last night. I'm dead. I can't fulfil my win condition so I don't really care what you do.

GAH I need to read better..... Butterfree is mafia...
Phantom says "ow" and then notices that her username now has more meaning.

I would say judging by the phrasing that there is more than one inspector... so other inspector, inspect the most senior members. Butterfree got a mafia, and surskitty alien, it is possible that it's a more... senior mafia.

Hm, I don't think it'd be so ridiculous for the mafia to have targeted somebody other than surskitty on the first night, figured that they were an alien when they didn't die, and attacked them again. A third-party role like alien wouldn't have any reason to want to claim after dying; it's possible that the mafia might've wanted to pass surskitty off as the dead alien in case that might make us less likely to want to lynch her. Maybe it'd be a good idea to lynch surskitty just to be sure. Even if that possibility's not very likely, at least we won't have to use up another chance to abstain today.

In a game like this, it's possible that an alien would want to contribute just for the sake of expoliting the opportunity. (I've done similar things before, even if it's impossible for me to win. Then again, I play mafia more for the fun than the strategy.)

Anyway, Butterfree. You guys know we have a role list, right? While it doesn't state the exact number of everything, it does say "the inspector" and "the alien" as opposed to "the civilians". However, at the same time it does say "the doctor", which would not allow for healer clash.

If it comes down to having no leads and we don't want to waste another abstain then it wouldn't be a bad idea.

Right, that's what I meant. That's not really the case now, though; it might be a good idea to have an exorcist target surskitty tonight.

This is probably way overthinking it, but what are the chances of there being two aliens? I mean, the morning post says an alien was killed, not the. I guess with the number of people we have, that's unlikely(?), but something about surskitty's posts makes me a bit suspicious.

this isn't a thing is it

A game of around this size with two aliens is not unheard of (although of course these are two different GMs and that is one game also different setup and multiple factions, etc. also not backwards) and it's possible, but either way I think the wording in Negrek's post is probably meant to avoid revealing when there's only one of a role, rather than imply that there are more than one, so as not to disclose the amount of any role in the game. I don't think there's necessarily more than one alien or inspector, but there could be!

I would say judging by the phrasing that there is more than one inspector... so other inspector, inspect the most senior members. Butterfree got a mafia, and surskitty alien, it is possible that it's a more... senior mafia.

How would two experienced players not being innocent-aligned make it more likely that other experienced players are the same? It's a good idea to inspect more experienced players, yes, but not for that reason.

In a game like this, it's possible that an alien would want to contribute just for the sake of expoliting the opportunity. (I've done similar things before, even if it's impossible for me to win. Then again, I play mafia more for the fun than the strategy.)

Anyway, Butterfree. You guys know we have a role list, right? While it doesn't state the exact number of everything, it does say "the inspector" and "the alien" as opposed to "the civilians". However, at the same time it does say "the doctor", which would not allow for healer clash.

Right. :c There would be no logical, strategic reason for an alien to do that, though (they've already lost), and it's possible that the mafia could have thought of it like that.

The role list also says, "The number of players in each role depends on the number of people who sign up." Also the doctor thing, yeah.

I'll vote for Butterfree, then!

I find it a little coincidental that Phantom rolled mafia two nights in a row. I think she is either lying rather convincingly (props for that), or she is paranoid/insane/whatever sanity that makes you always roll mafia. (the first is assuming she's lying about being an inspector, because one is dead, but I'm not trying to debunk the multiple inspector theory, especially if Phantom is not completely sane)

Unless Phantom is secretly dead 0_0

An activated alien shows up as mafia, and surskitty was apparently this alien.

And Phantom is also apparently dead so..?

Whooo I'm a ghoooost. Please don't remove me from the game yet exorcist. This is fuuuuun~

But really yeah I inspected Butterfree as my last act alive.

Shaddap I'm the Exorcist and I do what I want :D

Anyways; healer/bg on me?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom