• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

D/P/Pt Best 'Catching' Pokémon

What is the best Pokémon for catching other Pokémon?

• Gallade

Votes: 4 50.0%
  • Crobat

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • Gengar

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Jynx

• Kricketune

• Breloom

• Parasect

• Mew

Votes: 2 25.0%

• Total voters

Mustardear

Best 'Catching' Pokémon

Basically, I wanted to see what people think the best Pokémon to help catch other Pokémon is. Before you make your decision (too late), take into consideration some facts you may have missed (note that just because a Pokémon has more +s than another, it's not necessarily the case):

gallade
Gallade
+ Can learn Mean Look to trap running Legendaries
+ Can learn Hypnosis and Thunder Wave
+ Can learn False Swipe
+ Can learn Taunt to stop opponents from healing
+ Pretty good speed
- Hypnosis is inaccurate
- Must be raised to Level 50 as a Kirlia to learn Hypnosis

Crobat
Crobat
+ Can learn Mean Look
+ Can learn Hypnosis
+ Can learn Taunt
+ Can learn Super Fang in HG/SS to lower the opponent's HP
+ Excellent speed
+ Available near the start of the game
- Hypnosis is inaccurate
- Hypnosis requires breeding

Gengar
Gengar
+ Can learn Mean Look
+ Can learn Hypnosis
+ Can learn Taunt
+ Excellent speed
- Hypnosis is inaccurate
- Must be traded for full evolution

jynx
Jynx
+ Can learn Mean Look
+ Can learn Lovely Kiss
+ Can learn Taunt
+ High speed
+ Immune to Hail

Kricketune
Kricketune
+ Can learn Sing
+ Can learn False Swipe
+ Learns Taunt by level up in Platinum (Lv 38)
- Sing is inaccurate

breloom
Breloom
+ Can learn Spore and Stun Spore
+ Can learn False Swipe
+ Can learn Synthesis to heal
- Must be trained to Level 45 as a Shroomish to learn Spore

parasect
Parasect
+ Can learn Spore and Stun Spore
+ Can learn False Swipe

Mew
Mew
+ It's Mew
+ Can learn Hypnosis
+ Can learn Taunt
+ Can learn False Swipe
+ Great speed
+ Technically available near the start of the game
- It's Mew
- Hypnosis is inaccurate
- Hypnosis can only be obtained on certain Mews

EDIT: How could I forget one of the most important ones? I can't edit the poll but I'll mention it here:

Smeargle
Smeargle
+ Can learn ANYTHING
+ Can learn ANYTHING
+ Can learn ANYTHING
+ Can learn ANYTHING
+ Can learn ANYTHING
- Very low stats
- It is difficult to obtain some attacks with Sketch

Last edited:
Re: Best 'Catching' Pokémon

I use Crobat, since it's on my team, for runners. Other times, it comes down to the levels of my team.

Smeargle is best.

I'm fond of anything that can paralyze, since sleep wears off quickly and I'd rather just lob balls.

For Gengar you should add the con that it has to be traded for full evolution. I personally use Crobat because it's one of my favourites.

Smeargle is best.

I'm fond of anything that can paralyze, since sleep wears off quickly and I'd rather just lob balls.

D'oh! I forgot one of the most important Pokémon! I'm not sure if I can edit the poll (most likely not) but I added Smeargle to the list anyway. Personally, I don't bother with Smeargle because it's too hard to train up when you have all the attacks on it.

As for the second part, I added some paralysis attacks to the lists but I couldn't think of/couldn't be bothered to find any good Pokémon that can learn a paralysing attack and another useful 'catching' attack. Do you know any good ones?

For Gengar you should add the con that it has to be traded for full evolution. I personally use Crobat because it's one of my favourites.

I added it.

I use my Shiny Venomoth just because it has Sleep Powder. Gallade is probably the best out of the ones you mentioned. I'm just too lazy to train one.

for runners, i use ariados with spider web/ baton pass to scyther (bug type for cress/latis) or a pokemon who is about the right level. I dont have anything but krickatune and scyyther with false swipe though.

I use whatever Pokemon I feel like for capturing Pokemon. After reading this though, I think I'll probably go off and train a Gallade.

On my current game in Platinum, I'm using my Magnezone for catching Pokemon. It does have fairly decent speed, it can learn Thunder Wave (far superior to sleep, in my opinion, since it doesn't wear off). The only bad thing about it is that it doesn't have the advantage of False Swipe. On one of my FireRed games I used a Lv. 100 Farfetch'd as my catcher, mainly just to use False Swipe.

All in all, Gallade seems far superior.

I hear a lot about Pachirisu, with a combination of Super Fang and Thunder Wave.

Looks like I forgot another good one...

I hear a lot about Pachirisu, with a combination of Super Fang and Thunder Wave.

Although it's inferior to Gallade, it can be obtained much earlier on in the game and doesn't require a stone to evolve. It is also more defensive than it looks.

Purugly should be on the list since it can learn Super Fang from HG/SS and has access to Hypnosis. Similarly, Raticate can learn Super Fang and Thunder Wave. EDIT: So can *sigh* Bidoof.

Should I delete this thread then open another one with all these new Pokémon in the poll? If I do that, are there any others that I have missed?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom