• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Big Brother compared to God

Lorem Ipsum

Pronoun
x
So, I've been thinking over the past few days. Why the hell do I maintain that I am a Christian? Well, it's because of the 'what if' factor. If I didn't believe in a God, then what would happen if there actually was one? Would I go to hell? It's that fear that keeps people's faiths, in my opinion. And so, I drew a comparison to Nineteen Eighty-Four, the excellent book by George Orwell. I thought, what are the differences between the Big Brother of the novel, who is the totalitarian dictator of Oceania, and the God that is the centre of most religions, under one alias or another.

Well, that was the basis for me telling myself that I was actually agnostic/atheist. Because, you see, they're one and the same. Look at it objectively. Big Brother is meant to be constantly watching you, always and unerringly watching your every action. Much in the same way that God is always watching you, always taking note of what you do, in preparation for Judgement Day. Big Brother is dressed up to be this all powerful person that defeated Emmanuel Goldstein and restored good to the world, much like God supposedly defeated Satan. And this word 'thoughtcrime' that crops up in Nineteen Eighty-Four -- is that not the equal of what people regard as sin in modern day faiths?

And it seems clearer now. How can you say that Big Brother is so wrong, pushing his and the Party's ideas onto the proles and Outer Party members by way of dictatorship and totalitarianism, when people believe in a God, who makes people afraid of his punishment and his damnation so that they follow the ways of his Bible and teachings. So God, like Big Brother, is a character created by humanity so that they would feel part of something, so that they wouldn't feel alone, as such.

What are your opinions on my reflections?

Wonderful comparison, Lorem. I've never actually read all of 1984, but I do know enough to know the central themes do line up perfectly with monotheistic (and even some polytheistic) faiths. Very well put.

Eh, nice comparison, but I'm not afraid of God, or at least not like that. I certainly don't maintain that the God I believe in would do anything so horrible as sending a person to an eternity of everlasting pain and suffering. Put simply, I don't believe in hell.

Now, I agree with you that most religions do the entire 'believe in God or you shall be punished' thing, but honestly, I don't think that's God's fault, just the people who run the religions.

Aobaru said:
Wonderful comparison, Lorem. I've never actually read all of 1984, but I do know enough to know the central themes do line up perfectly with monotheistic (and even some polytheistic) faiths. Very well put.

Thanks; it's surprising how strikingly similar religion and this particular example of dysotopia are if you look into it further.

Eh, nice comparison, but I'm not afraid of God, or at least not like that. I certainly don't maintain that the God I believe in would do anything so horrible as sending a person to an eternity of everlasting pain and suffering. Put simply, I don't believe in hell.

Now, I agree with you that most religions do the entire 'believe in God or you shall be punished' thing, but honestly, I don't think that's God's fault, just the people who run the religions.

I'm afraid that I am going to have to disagree with you there. For the Bible itself states that Hell exists and that on Judgement Day, Jesus will throw all sinners into it.
Matthew 25:41 said:
Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels.
Revelation 21:8 said:
But the fearful, and unbelieving ... shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone.

This demonstrates quite clearly that the Bible does mention Hell, and does mention that the people who don't believe in God will be cast into the "lake which burneth with fire and brimstone".

I'm afraid that I am going to have to disagree with you there. For the Bible itself states that Hell exists and that on Judgement Day, Jesus will throw all sinners into it.

Yeah, but who says that I have to believe everything in the Bible? I take most of it as cautionary tales. I support evolution, not the Adam and Eve story, and the latter is in the Bible.

In short, I'm a Christian, but that just means (to me) that I believe in Jesus and God. Otherwise, I make up my own mind about what to believe, whether it's in the bible or not.

I guess you could say that I'm not very traditional.

Yeah, but who says that I have to believe everything in the Bible? I take most of it as cautionary tales. I support evolution, not the Adam and Eve story, and the latter is in the Bible.

In short, I'm a Christian, but that just means (to me) that I believe in Jesus and God. Otherwise, I make up my own mind about what to believe, whether it's in the bible or not.

I guess you could say that I'm not very traditional.
What exactly defines you as a Christian, then?

Jesus is also a figure (although something of a supporting character) in Islamic mythology. Logically this means that Muslims believe in him. Yet they are not Christian.

Yes, but I believe in Christ as the messiah, whereas I'm pretty sure the Muslims think of him as a prophet. Belief in Jesus as Christ does not equal belief in Jesus.

Well, yes. But the basics of the story seem plausible to me, whereas, say, an elderly man and his family collecting two of every single insect, mammal, bird, amphibian, and reptile is ridiculous in a physical sense.

The thing is, Jesus is described or mentioned in other texts besides the Bible. I have no doubt that Jesus existed; it's only the Bible (Edit: specifically the New Testament) that makes him out to be the Messiah.

Noah, on the other hand, I'm quite sure is only a folk tale. Most religions have some sort of flood story where a man and his family gather plants and animals into a boat/ship/ark. For the Sumerians, it was Gilgamesh. For the Hindus, it's Manu. And for Christians and Jews, it's Noah.

This demonstrates quite clearly that the Bible does mention Hell, and does mention that the people who don't believe in God will be cast into the "lake which burneth with fire and brimstone".

Oh no, God's going to throw me in a pit of fire! I'm so scared!

Ah! Selective faith, huh? Good thing the basics of the story aren't ridiculous in a physical sense, at least.

And this is why I quit being involved in the Church: why be Christian, if you're only going to believe what you want to believe? What's the point in that?

If we were in Oceania, all of you would be executed on sight. I would have a giant probe shoved up my ass, though, probably for their enjoyment.

Oh! I agree, Jesus was born, if that's who you're talking about. I don't generally worship people because they were born, though.

Well, yes, but he's not a major part of my religion dur to the physical part. The 'God's son, saviour of the world' part falls under the, for lack of a better word, 'cosmic' part.

Jesus was both a human person and the son of God. I don't see a conflict between the two statements.

No, but a virgin birth is.

Yes, well, the entire 'virgin birth' thing seemed sketchy to me, I think she, ahem, made it with Joseph and God did a little bit of messing about with it.

Since when does faith rely on morbid fear?

Agreed

Back
Top Bottom