• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Black & White English names

Some people have pointed out how the saws from sawsbuck's name stands for summer, autumn, winter, and spring P:

How on earth do you pronounce Reuniclus? All the ways I can think of sound odd somehow.

ree-YOU-nuh-cluhs, maybe?
("uh" indicates schwa)

Also I've been thinking about Desukaan/Cofagrigus and I suspect this may be how it's pronounced, although we'll be waiting who-knows-how-long for one to show up in the anime:

COFF*-uh-gree-guhs, or maybe coff*-uh-GREE-guhs

*like the first syllable of "coffin"
Bulbapedia got me thinking that the last two syllables might stem from "egregious", but since it also comes from "sarcophagus" it might have a hard G at the end instead of a Jish G.

Also I think NoA should've either named it something else or extended the character limit in Pokemon names by 1 (it's not like they couldn't), so as to avoid the inevitable "fag" references by instead using Coffagrigus or Cophagrigus. (All this is moot if my pronunciation theory is wrong.)

I know it's a tad late to be saying this but Tepig's German name is great :D

also Braviary is relevant to my interests

Don't anyone need to worry about my name changing.

I planned on changing it to the English one, but I like Romanized butter.

I planned on changing it to the English one, but I like Romanized butter.

It's much better than Romanised margarine!

Anyway Swadloon sounds like a pirate word. That is awesome.
Purrloin, Trubbish, Eelektrik, Shelmet and the Deino and Vanillite lines sound good too. The rest are all okay.

It's much better than Romanised margarine!

Anyway Swadloon sounds like a pirate word. That is awesome.
Purrloin, Trubbish, Eelektrik, Shelmet and the Deino and Vanillite lines sound good too. The rest are all okay.
D'=

Oh deerling. Braviary is official.
Hooray!

(Not quite on topic and again kind of late to be getting round to pointing this out, but how does
616.png
not evolve into
589.png
)

(Not quite on topic and again kind of late to be getting round to pointing this out, but how does
616.png
not evolve into
589.png
)

Look closer at what's inside the armor on that last one and compare with
588.png

I agree, though, that they ought to have put Chobomaki in the armor instead of Kaburumo.

EDIT: @Kratos Aurion below me: oooh I never thought of that explanation.

Oh deerling. Braviary is official.

We already knew that. That was in the Bulbapedia link Alraune had in her first post.

Hooray!

616.png
not evolve into
589.png
)

See the blue and yellow? That's kaburumo/whatever-speculated-English-name-is. The point is that when you trade chobomaki/whatever with kaburumo, kaburumo magically takes the shell and becomes knightguy, and chobomaki is freeee and becomes wormninja.

Hooray!

616.png
not evolve into
589.png
)
Ninja kaburumo stole chobomaki's armour. Surprisingly, chobomaki is apparently an even better ninja than kaburumo; kaburumo's got base 60 speed, which is pretty fast for an early-game bug, and has base 20 as shubarugo, while chobomaki's got base 25 then base 145 as agirudaa. (That's faster than marumain, for people who don't quite grasp base stats.)

Ah. I never realised how those bugs evolved. That makes sense now :v
Not as much sense as knight -> knight and ninja -> ninja, but.

Last edited:
Well bulbanew just said it was on a fansite but was removed later.

No, they said the full list has been on and off—braviary and the names revealed on the official site today were first leaked by IGN with screenshots.

Back
Top Bottom